Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

WHAT IS THIS GAME?

Ju-on: The Grudge is a game for the Nintendo Wii, released in 2009. Based on the wildly popular Japanese and American movie series of the same names (and directed by the same guy), the horror story tells us of a curse that's reborn again and again with each victim it claims, which takes the forms of a ghostly brother and sister.

This game sucks, you guys. Like, really badly.

I touch on a lot of my problems in the first episode, so I won't bore you here, but just know that it makes some other bad horror games look like masterpieces.

PRIOR EXPERIENCE

Because there's something wrong with me, I've already played Ju-on twice all the way through, because I didn't realize that I needed to get every collectible to unlock the final chapter. Amy, on the other hand, had only heard my sobbing, tear-filled stories of my own time with it until now, but she's excited to see the mechanic of getting to throw jump scares at me and the audience. (By "jump scares," I mean covering the screen with so much crap at once that it'll probably eventually get me killed.)

SPOILER POLICY

"People die, and then ghosts!" There, I just summarized the entire story of the game (and the original Japanese movie, really). Spoilers shouldn't be a problem. :-P If you know of any particular parts that you want Amy to experience for the first time, though, hide those behind spoiler tags.

I think that about covers it. I hope you all enjoy!

EPISODE LIST

Part 1: Uuuuhhhhhhhgh
Part 2: Pick up the second Wii Remote
Part 3: Purple-boy floor
Part 4: What are you doing with your diary?
Part 5: We haven't even finished The Witness yet!
Part 6 (FINALE): Time for bed

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

SSNeoman posted:

"Dude, the walls are like whoah man :lsd:"

That's pretty much what she always looks like. She's a horrible influence on hear ghost brother.

chiasaur11 posted:

It's not like there's going to be a shocking twist three missions in where the victims make a call to the Talk About Spirits Agency...

The shocking twist is that there's an unlockable final episode that gets you killed and turned into a ghost. :-P

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 11, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
I was honestly worried about playing this one, because I thought people would lose interest. I'm glad I seem to have been mistaken. :-D

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

CryingAthena posted:

The question is: which is worse, the controls for Fatal Frame 4 or the controls for Ju-On?

I think the controls in Ju-on are worse. They're certainly not good in Fatal Frame 4, but just having an actual joystick makes such a huge difference that nothing else seems as bad in comparison. Ju-on just feels weird to control.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 2 is up now, you poor people, you! You can tell my blood pressure is beginning to rise in this one. Maybe that's the curse!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
My God, I love you people.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

I don't know anything about The Ring, but I do know what I like. One of those things is a game making Pete suffer...

You're going to love tomorrow's episode.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's time for part 3! I'll be in therapy if anyone needs me!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Riazer posted:

Isn`t the last image on the TV the rooftop?

I believe the TV was showing different locations throughout the game, so yeah, it was probably the roof.

Zain posted:

Poor Pete.. I'm so sorry for your lost sanity. This is probably the biggest highlight of this game though.

I honestly love how this episode turned out, but yeah, after watching the fully-edited version a day later, I realized that I was much angrier than I had thought at the time. :-P

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Echophonic posted:

Ju-On Forever - Always Bet on Hair

I quite enjoyed PeteRant. I wouldn't want it all the time, but definitely funny.

Yeah, that certainly won't be an all the time thing, I promise. I just had to get that out.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

azren posted:

God, I hate this game so much, and I've only ever watched people play it...

You know what's really sad? I knew how much I hated it, and we still paid $30 just to do this LP. :-P But it was worth it; the response has been excellent so far, and Amy and I have wanted to do this one for a while now.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 18, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Niggurath posted:

So are you going to do that amazing Ringu game next for the Dreamcast?

I'M SORRY, WHAT?! This is a thing?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Zain posted:

Here is where you tell us you got a dreamcast. :allears:

Oh, I have a Dreamcast, don't you worry about that. :D It's still one of my favorite consoles!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

The Ring: Terror's Realm makes this game look like a horror masterpiece

My God, I'm going to have to play this now; I don't know if I can even force myself to believe that there's ANYTHING in this world that can make Ju-on for the Wii look just GOOD, let alone a masterpiece.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Watercrown posted:

Speaking of Ring in a Ju-On thread, who's excited for Sadako Vs Kayako?

I had to look up what this was, and to be honest, I'm a little surprised that there hadn't been a crossover up to this point.

Speaking of the movies, I think I need to watch the Ju-on ones again. All I remember is that I hated the first one, but I loved the second one; that's as good as my memory is concerning that.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Terry van Feleday posted:

Say, I don't know if you've said something about this before, but are you going to continue playing Keepers of the Dark alongside this? It'd be nice to have a, y'know, actually good horror game going to contrast against this junk.

Yeah... We've been really bad about that, haven't we? I do want to continue Keepers, and I think we're going to start it up again this week, so hopefully we'll have some more episodes soon.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 4 is up now! Not as angry this time around. This is actually probably one of the better chapters in the game, if such a thing exists.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

azren posted:

That one was a delivery boy, the next one's a security guard.

Maybe he was delivering security!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Time for part 5! This is the most damned boring level I've ever played in a video game! Yay!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

And More posted:

Like some sort of haunted house version of Tetris, except without a High Score.

Just the thought of this is my genuine nightmare now. I've never been good at Tetris, let alone Tetris with ghosts and no reason to play in the first place.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

How's your Kunitoris in Siren 2?

You know what? I've regrettably never played a single Siren game. I tried the PS3 demo, but that's the extent of my knowledge of the series, which I'd like to remedy.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, guys, it's time for the finale! It was a much shorter than our other playthroughs, but that's probably for the best, because it's Ju-on.

Thanks to all of you who stuck it out and watched the whole series! We're throwing around ideas for the next game, and we'll definitely be back soon.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Well, that sure was a thing.

Thanks for playing, now I won't ever want to!

Mission accomplished!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

azren posted:

If you are taking requests for the next/another lp, I really want to see someone tackle The Ring: Terror's Realm. I only saw the first, like, hour/hour and a half or so, and dear God does it look bad glorious!

I'll need to see if I can snag a copy. I honestly just want to play it so I have an excuse to fire up the Dreamcast again. :-D

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Heh, okay, you guys convinced me. I grabbed a cheap-enough copy on Amazon, since there were several requests for it. I'm also trying to not have any clue as to what it's even like before I play it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Is that a happy frog, or a sick-to-its-stomach-because-The-Ring frog?

EDIT: Amy just informed me that the frog is a gif that doesn't play in the Android app. :-P

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Because Amy and I are always looking for ways to please, it's time for The Ring: Terror's Realm! Let's see if it lives up to the overwhelming hype!

BioEnchanted posted:

If your doing Ring Terror's Realm next I recommend reading the books at some point because they are ridiculously entertaining, and it could be fun to compare narrative beats in the game with parts of the books to see if the correlate at all, even accidentally.

Yeah, one of these days, I'd like to get into the stories.

• Locked thread