Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
In order to get an idea of how we actually behave when we're in the voting booth - when it really comes down to the wire and it truly matters - I'd like to share my voting history and I'd be very interested in yours - though of course a secret ballot is your democratic right! :patriot:

The first time I could vote was in the 2010 General Election in the UK, where I voted for the Lib Dem candidate to kick out Charles Clarke, Nu Labour twat. He actually turned out to be one of the decent Lib Dems, rebelling on student fees and a host of other issues against Clegg and the government (not that he had much choice, given it was a student town).

I voted Lib Dem in the local council elections, because the only other choices in my village was a tory and an independent who's more right-wing than the tories.

In the European elections, I voted for the green party. And they gained an extra seat in our area! :getin: That was the Euro election where UKIP won the most seats and became dubbed the "fourth major party" despite failing horribly in any elections that matter. And lol at the idea the lib dems are a major party now and the SNP aren't.

In the 2015 General Election, I voted Green. Who increased their vote by 6 times over the last election. UKIP and the Greens did very well in the popular vote, gaining about a million each - but FTPT left them with 1 seat a piece.

Then my union member dad and I voted for Jez "Jezza" Corbyn as leader of the Labour Party. :newdanger:

I'll be voting Out in the EU referendum. The government has given people living abroad a vote in the hopes we'll tip the balance towards Stay. It's so awesome watching Jeremy Corbyn do nothing to campaign for an in vote in that horrible organization, especially after Cameron's "deal" was nothing but free trade and less worker protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I'll preface this by saying that I have never lived in a competitive state. My votes have either been in Texas or California, so they've been basically meaningless.

That said:

Nader (gently caress you I wanted the Greens to hit the federal money threshold, and like Texas *wasn't* going to Bush)
Some third party I can't even remember
Obama (Primary and General - first primary vote!)
Obama
Sanders

Locally I basically pull the lever for blue. Sometimes I have to research which blue if there are multiple, or the least bad red if there arent any blue choices.

Also lol at Saurus never voting in an American election but being pro-Trump.

No Mans Land 5
Jun 10, 2016

by Cowcaster
I come from a long line of NMLs and I may not represent all of their voting histories but I represent most, and -

as a resident of the state of Massachusetts,

2004 - Kerry
2008 - Obama, also Deval Patrick for governor
2012 - Did not vote
2016 - Voting for Trump baby

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Obama (voted mccrory for nc gov, bev perdue kinda sucked but mccrory's been worse somehow lol)
Obama
Bernie -> Hillary

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

virginia:
2004: straight ticket republican
2006: i think i was stunned into silence/apathy
2008, 2010, 2012, 2013: straight ticket democrat. proud to have voted for the clintons' best bagman
colorado:
2014: straight ticket democrat for all the fuckin good it did em
california:
2016 so far: hillary (even like two weeks earlier it would've been bernie), kamala, random democrats at lower levels

and none of it has ever mattered

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
also i think i lived in the section of nc where the congressional district is basically north charlotte, western greensboro, and eastern winston salem, with a 90 mile of stretch of i 85 for good measure so count melvin watt too.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
2008: Obama
2012: Jill Stein

I forgot to vote in all the off years but everything turned out a-ok anyways!

26/m/wa

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

2008: Hillary Clinton ----> Barack Obama
2010: Bill White
2012: Jill Stein, Paul Sadler
2014: Wendy Davis (rip), David Alameel
2016: (could not caucus), Gloria La Riva, Patty Judge (i guess)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Bush Senior
Clinton
Gore
Kerry
Obama
Obama
Clinton

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

2010 - liberal Democrat (lol)
2015 - greens

Until recently I was living in one of the safest conservative seats in the country, so my vote didn't effect much.

I did vote in the Labour leadership election for :newdanger: and for the Labour Bristol mayoral candidate. Basically the first time in any election that the people I voted for won.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
2004: George Bush
2005: Holy poo poo the GOP is insane, why didn't I pay more attention to politics
2006: Kinky Friedman
2008: B'Rock, the shock, superallah Obama
2010: Bill White
2012: Obama
2014: Wendy Davis
2016: Bernie-san ------> H-dawg

Mostly blue in local elections or libertarian if they stand a shot in hell against whatever republican is running and aren't actually worse. Sometimes republican when the D candidate is a real shithead or the R candidate is good in their views related to the limited scope of their position.

I live in Texas, so my vote doesn't matter.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

1996 Clinton
2000 too stupid/apathetic to figure out absentee ballots, probably would have voted Nader if I did
2004 Kerry
2008 Obama
2012 Stein
2016 ???

I live in New York and have not decided yet whether I am going Clinton or Stein. (normally NY can be "assumed blue" but I feel like this election is different. Trump is a New Yorker, in a way he very much embodies a certain segment of NYC's values, I don't think it's as much of a guarantee).

I generally vote Green in local/state elections but have also occasionally voted Working Families Party

Earwicker has issued a correction as of 11:31 on Jun 11, 2016

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

2008: Obama (after seeing a 4chan poster with a shirt that said "friend of the family please, it's a white house")
2012: Obama
2014 Midterms: both (D) options were pro patriot act so I stayed home
2016 Primary: Sanders
2016 Election: Probably Stein, if my other options are literal money in politics with a dash of birther and a heaping spoonful of surveillance I can either sleep in or throw my vote away on a 3rd party.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Earwicker posted:

2000 too stupid/apathetic to figure out absentee ballots, probably would have voted Nader if I did
2004 Kerry

You couldn't stomach Gore but voted for Kerry? I was just barely too young to vote in 2000 but would have gone Gore.

Nader by absentee ballot

Obama

Stein

Will vote for Clinton

I'm registered independent in MD so I can't vote in primaries.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Caithness posted:

You couldn't stomach Gore but voted for Kerry?

well like I said I was mostly apathetic going into the 2000 election and liked Nader better than either candidate but not enough to bother figuring out how to absentee vote. By the time I voted for Kerry, Bush had been president for 4 years, and I was more motivated to vote him out of office rather than any particular affection for Kerry.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

haven't voted yet, i'm 14

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
2000 cast no ballot for president, Howard Dean (D) for Governor, Bernie for the House, Jeffords (R-ish, left the party after reelection) for Senate. I don't remember what else I did downballot
2002 voted Bernie, Jim Douglas (R) for Governor
2004 Gore, Bernie, Leahy (D) for Senate, Douglas
2006 Bernie for Senate, Peter Welch (D) for the House, Douglas
2008 Obama, Welch, Douglas
*At this point I had to change my residency to NY for grad school funding reasons, so there'll be no more VT stuff and subsequently I stopped caring as much in downticket votes*
2010 Andrew Cuomo (D) for Governor, largely as Carl Paladino (R) is a greasier, somehow even less appealing Trump prototype (and unsurprisingly has been one of his surrogates this time around)
2012 Obama

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
08' Obama/Obama
10 Straight Dem Midterms
12 Obama
14 Straight Dem Midterms
16 Bernie/Hillary

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
06 Straight Ticket Dem
08 Caucused for Obama, voted Obama in Nov
10 Straight Ticket Dem
12 Caucused for RON PAUL, voted for Obama
14 Mostly Dem but not for governor cause he's an rear end in a top hat
16 Caucused for TRUMP!, writing in Jeb! in November!

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Gore
Kerry
Obama
Obama
TRUMP

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm a foreign brute so who cares but I once voted for the Conservatives in a local election because they were for a public transport initiative, but the loving Social Democrats were opposed. Local politics are weird.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

08 Obama/Obama
12 Nobody because Obama disillusioned me
16 Bernie/Bernie/Bernie/Bernie/Stein

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

C-SPAN Caller posted:

16 Bernie/Bernie/Bernie/Bernie/Stein

i assume these are delegate votes. if not admitting to voter fraud here is maybe not the smartest thing

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I've voted for the Constitution party every time. :smug:

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
2008: Nader

2012: write-in for PSL candidate Peta Lindsay (would have voted for Jill Stein if she had made it onto the ballot, but there were no left-of-Obama candidates on the ballot!)

Voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Democratic Primary and am now hoping Jill Stein will be getting onto the ballot here this year!

Sorry for making this post. I'm happy to contribute to these fabulous forums.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Straight D ticket every election since 1996. I love the D.

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

2008: Cynthia McKinney
2012: Peta Lindsay
2016 Primary: Bernie Sanders
2016 General: Hillary if my state has a close race, otherwise the craziest lefty running in a third party.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
2000: W
2004: W
2008: Delegate for Romney in primary, voted for myself in general
2012: Voted for myself again
2016: Trump in primary. Gonna vote for myself again since I'll finally be constitutionally eligible :hellyeah:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

2000: W
2004: W
2008: Delegate for Romney in primary, voted for myself in general
2012: Voted for myself again
2016: Trump in primary. Gonna vote for myself again since I'll finally be constitutionally eligible :hellyeah:

I didn't realize we had a presidential candidate posting on these forums

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
2016: The God Emperor

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
since im hella canadaina americana i have TWO voties histories

its also 11:15 am and ive had 7 beers

canada : i voted libertarian when i turned 18
then
liberal once
then
NDP NDP NDP

in AMERIKKKA
obama obama
then
trump or killary depending on how many meemes killary makes
because im just here for the memes

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Baloogan posted:

since im hella canadaina americana i have TWO voties histories

its also 11:15 am and ive had 7 beers

canada : i voted libertarian when i turned 18
then
liberal once
then
NDP NDP NDP

in AMERIKKKA
obama obama
then
trump or killary depending on how many meemes killary makes
because im just here for the memes

Good on you for holding off the GTs until noon

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I bought 3 different kinds of tonic water
last time i was outa town here I drank two bottles of bombay gin

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
when i ran out of gin I switched to vodka and tonic

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Hendricks, maybe Tanqueray when poor.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
lotta people voting third party in 2000 and then switching back to dems once they saw what republicans were capable of itt

why am i getting deja vu??

anyways i've voted straight blue since i could vote in 2006. if you weren't scared straight by the republicans the last time they were in power you're too young to remember or you weren't paying attention

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Necc0 posted:

lotta people voting third party in 2000 and then switching back to dems once they saw what republicans were capable of itt

why am i getting deja vu??

anyways i've voted straight blue since i could vote in 2006. if you weren't scared straight by the republicans the last time they were in power you're too young to remember or you weren't paying attention

Gore was a bad candidate who refused to appeal to people outside his core. So was Kerry. Frankly so is Clinton. The main strength of the Democratic party is the existence of the Republican party.

Unless you live in a battleground state, feel free to vote for whoever the gently caress you want. And even then, you don't owe your vote to anyone. If you want to vote Nader because you don't care for Gore, go for it. Blame Bush on Gore being a lovely candidate who couldn't get votes (or have the foresight to have family be the governor of a vital and hotly contested swing state), not on voters who didn't like Gore. Same with Clinton. If you think she's a lying sack of poo poo, vote Stein or Johnson or Vermin Supreme. You don't owe anyone. And maybe Clinton should focus more on being less of a bad candidate.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Not a Step posted:

Unless you live in a battleground state,

lotta big words there for you to temper it like that. thanks for agreeing w/ me :)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Not a Step posted:

I didn't realize we had a presidential candidate posting on these forums

It's me, Jill Stein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Necc0 posted:

lotta big words there for you to temper it like that. thanks for agreeing w/ me :)

Reading comprehension is difficult, I understand

Not a Step posted:

Gore was a bad candidate who refused to appeal to people outside his core. So was Kerry. Frankly so is Clinton. The main strength of the Democratic party is the existence of the Republican party.

Unless you live in a battleground state, feel free to vote for whoever the gently caress you want. And even then, you don't owe your vote to anyone. If you want to vote Nader because you don't care for Gore, go for it. Blame Bush on Gore being a lovely candidate who couldn't get votes (or have the foresight to have family be the governor of a vital and hotly contested swing state), not on voters who didn't like Gore. Same with Clinton. If you think she's a lying sack of poo poo, vote Stein or Johnson or Vermin Supreme. You don't owe anyone. And maybe Clinton should focus more on being less of a bad candidate.

Vote for whoever you want, wherever you live, and gently caress anyone who says you have to vote for a candidate you don't like.

• Locked thread