Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I'll preface this by saying that I have never lived in a competitive state. My votes have either been in Texas or California, so they've been basically meaningless.

That said:

Nader (gently caress you I wanted the Greens to hit the federal money threshold, and like Texas *wasn't* going to Bush)
Some third party I can't even remember
Obama (Primary and General - first primary vote!)
Obama
Sanders

Locally I basically pull the lever for blue. Sometimes I have to research which blue if there are multiple, or the least bad red if there arent any blue choices.

Also lol at Saurus never voting in an American election but being pro-Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

2000: W
2004: W
2008: Delegate for Romney in primary, voted for myself in general
2012: Voted for myself again
2016: Trump in primary. Gonna vote for myself again since I'll finally be constitutionally eligible :hellyeah:

I didn't realize we had a presidential candidate posting on these forums

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Necc0 posted:

lotta people voting third party in 2000 and then switching back to dems once they saw what republicans were capable of itt

why am i getting deja vu??

anyways i've voted straight blue since i could vote in 2006. if you weren't scared straight by the republicans the last time they were in power you're too young to remember or you weren't paying attention

Gore was a bad candidate who refused to appeal to people outside his core. So was Kerry. Frankly so is Clinton. The main strength of the Democratic party is the existence of the Republican party.

Unless you live in a battleground state, feel free to vote for whoever the gently caress you want. And even then, you don't owe your vote to anyone. If you want to vote Nader because you don't care for Gore, go for it. Blame Bush on Gore being a lovely candidate who couldn't get votes (or have the foresight to have family be the governor of a vital and hotly contested swing state), not on voters who didn't like Gore. Same with Clinton. If you think she's a lying sack of poo poo, vote Stein or Johnson or Vermin Supreme. You don't owe anyone. And maybe Clinton should focus more on being less of a bad candidate.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Necc0 posted:

lotta big words there for you to temper it like that. thanks for agreeing w/ me :)

Reading comprehension is difficult, I understand

Not a Step posted:

Gore was a bad candidate who refused to appeal to people outside his core. So was Kerry. Frankly so is Clinton. The main strength of the Democratic party is the existence of the Republican party.

Unless you live in a battleground state, feel free to vote for whoever the gently caress you want. And even then, you don't owe your vote to anyone. If you want to vote Nader because you don't care for Gore, go for it. Blame Bush on Gore being a lovely candidate who couldn't get votes (or have the foresight to have family be the governor of a vital and hotly contested swing state), not on voters who didn't like Gore. Same with Clinton. If you think she's a lying sack of poo poo, vote Stein or Johnson or Vermin Supreme. You don't owe anyone. And maybe Clinton should focus more on being less of a bad candidate.

Vote for whoever you want, wherever you live, and gently caress anyone who says you have to vote for a candidate you don't like.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Wikkheiser posted:

Just kidding I vote Democrat all the way.

Kerry, Obama, Obama. Will vote Hillary.

Don't tend to vote in primaries.

Voting for Kerry only encouraged the Democratic Party to keep supporting Kerry like candidates. Cut that out. Don't reward stupid.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

it encouraged them so hard they nominated a charismatic black man

Who won an upset victory over the person they wanted to nominate, Hillary Clinton. Eight years later and here we are. This is what blindly voting for Gore and Kerry gets you.

E: Seriously, the Dems ran sentient woolen sweater Al Gore, then a man so unlikeable that Bush, who hid from combat, managed to turn his military service and purple hearts against him, before finally hitting it big with a young, dynamic charismatic black man. Learning absolutely nothing they decided to go with a calculating robot who never goes off script this cycle. The Dems just lucked out that the Republicans decided to melt down this year and run discount Hitler instead of someone with some actual charisma and ability. Not that they had any of those to pick from.

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Jun 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Number_6 posted:

1988 Bush Sr (hey I was a kid still living at home, from a sheltered affluent suburb with conservative 'rents)
1992 Clinton
1996--sat this one out
2000 Gore
2004 Kerry
2008 Obama
2012 Romney (not because I wanted RMoney to win, but I was under massive family pressure and Obama had no shot to win TX anyway so it was a meaningless vote)

Have you ever heard of lying? Its where you do one thing, but tell everyone you did another thing. And since votes are secret they are powerless to confirm or deny your actions. Vote for whoever you want and lie about it to friends, family, and forums posters if telling the truth is uncomfortable, or if you just want to have fun.

• Locked thread