Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shinmai

CHK Instruction

Post your saddest summer memory itt and I'll rate it relative to my own saddest summer memory on a scale from -5 to 5.

{ super-sad - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - my memory - - - - - - - - - puppies & unlimited Irn-Bru }
- - - - - - - - - -

Bonus points for effortposting and offering support and consolation to other posters. You're also encouraged to render your own ratings and reviews, feel free to use the rating icons above, just make sure to mention what you're using as :geno:-baseline.

Now, then. My saddest summer memory:

shinmai's worst summer posted:

I woke up, having overslept. It was well into the afternoon, and the house was empty, which was odd. I scraped together some breakfast and plugged my phone in. Midway through a sandwich, I hear a car pull up on the driveway and a few moments later my parents and my younger sister enter. My sister's hand is bandaged, and she's in tears, my parents look really shook up, too. We had a rescue dog, a Tibetan Terrier called Nougat, that had been raised in a family that had completely neglected him: no dog food, he survived only on dinner leftovers from the family, if he acted up, barked, growled or whatever, he would be locked in an unused walk-in closet, and he was never taken on walks, only left on a flyline in their backyard for a few hours per day, more if the family went out for a longer time. We'd made good progress in re-training him: he would let us trim and comb him (super important for Tibetan Terriers), he'd wait patiently to be fed and only started eating after receiving permission. He'd still growl at us occasionally, but would stop on command.
Well, that morning something had set him off, and he'd attacked my sister, bit her hard on the arm, ripped so much flesh she needed dozens of stitches. They had managed to calm him down for a while, only to have him turn overtly aggressive again not long after. After they'd patched my sister up, they drove to our vet where Nougat was put down. The only consolation was that his end was peaceful, he slept away licking my sister's hand and lazily shaking his tail.
Our whole family was grieving, but obviously this wasn't enough. I turned on my phone, and had a missed SMS from the morning - from my then girlfriend, now wife. She was out of town working as a counsellor at a Confirmation camp, and probably due to a combination of factors - teenage hormones, separation, summer air, chemtrails - she was convinced she'd fallen out of love with me, and her new sweetheart was a fellow counsellor, who just happened to be my school bully. I tried calling her dozens of times; first she declined or ignored my calls, later turned off her phone.

It was EASILY the worst summer day of my life at the time, and I think it still makes the top-10 regardless of season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

damb

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I had to go to summer school because I had failed gym. :(

shinmai

CHK Instruction

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I had to go to summer school because I had failed gym. :(

1/5
You lost a huge chunk of summer vacation due to failing a completely unnecessary school subject. That sucks big time, you'll never get that summer back :( My goondolences.

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack

shinmai posted:

Post your saddest summer memory itt and I'll rate it relative to my own saddest summer memory on a scale from -5 to 5.

{ super-sad - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - my memory - - - - - - - - - puppies & unlimited Irn-Bru }
- - - - - - - - - -

Bonus points for effortposting and offering support and consolation to other posters. You're also encouraged to render your own ratings and reviews, feel free to use the rating icons above, just make sure to mention what you're using as :geno:-baseline.

Now, then. My saddest summer memory:

Least you found out she was a stupid bitch early on.

----------------

alnilam

I was at governor's school, a college-like program for nerdy kids between 11 and 12th grade, having the time of my goddamn life and meeting lots of cool friends. I had just gotten a cell phone for the first time so my parents could keep in touch with me (early-ish days of cell phones). It rang at about 7:30 am before i woke up and before answering i knew something was wrong. Then the first thing I heard was my mom was crying on the other end.

My dog was dead.

Cody was a golden retriever, only about 6 years old. He was a lovable dummy with a huge head and a love of running around the yard like a nut.

Rewind

When he was 5, he had a weird stroke that mostly paralyzed him from the waist down. We were in the kitchen and suddenly he seemed upset and unable to stand up, despite clearly trying. We took him to the animal hospital and they said the damage was already done and there's nothing we could have done.
So for the next month, we did physical therapy with his hind legs, we used doggy diapers, we cleaned up his poo poo from his butt all the time. He learned to walk by swinging his waist forward to pull his hind legs up. He seemed mostly happy just to have us around but kind of scared.

The saddest thing for him was at night, when we went upstairs to bed and he couldn't. The first night he cried at the bottom of the stairs until i decided to come down and sleep on the couch. He was a lot happier.

He got more used to it, so did we. Eventually, he could feel a poop starting to come out; he couldn't control it but he could frantically ask to go outside. To pee, we had to regularly go out with him and squeeze his sides to express his bladder; doing this regularly kept him from dripping in the house and kept him from doggy diapers, which he hated.

After 3 months, he could full on run, pulling his hind legs along with him. And I was still sleeping on the couch every night to keep him company. I slept on the couch every night for about a year, until i went to gov school.

Forward

My mom told me that Cody was dead. She couldn't say much more than that. He died this morning. Like, he had just died and she was calling.

My dad took the phone to say Cody died doing what he loved. He was coming home from a walk and saw a rabbit and ran after it. We always joked that if he ever caught up to a rabbit he'd just sniff it and lick it and wag his tail. While he was running after the rabbit in his funny paralyzed run, he just... fell. And he started breathing really heavily. My dad watched him die right there. Breathing heavily, then slower, then not at all.

My dad described in detail the death and the breathing for some reason. Even though i didn't see it, the image still haunts me to this day. I can't get it out of my head.

I still went to class that day. I don't know why, I sat in the back and cried in every class.

bong

by Shine

drilldo squirt posted:

Least you found out she was a stupid bitch early on.

Dont use that word you retard.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

I cried writing that and i still cry every time i tell that story

drilldo squirt

bong posted:

Dont use that word you retard.

Rude.

----------------

City of Glompton

alnilam posted:

I cried writing that and i still cry every time i tell that story

:glomp:

FluffieDuckie

bong and drilldo please stop making GBS threads up ths saddest summer memories thread or i will give you your own sad summer memory

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

shinmai

CHK Instruction

alnilam posted:

I was at governor's school, a college-like program for nerdy kids between 11 and 12th grade, having the time of my goddamn life and meeting lots of cool friends. I had just gotten a cell phone for the first time so my parents could keep in touch with me (early-ish days of cell phones). It rang at about 7:30 am before i woke up and before answering i knew something was wrong. Then the first thing I heard was my mom was crying on the other end.

My dog was dead.

Cody was a golden retriever, only about 6 years old. He was a lovable dummy with a huge head and a love of running around the yard like a nut.

Rewind

When he was 5, he had a weird stroke that mostly paralyzed him from the waist down. We were in the kitchen and suddenly he seemed upset and unable to stand up, despite clearly trying. We took him to the animal hospital and they said the damage was already done and there's nothing we could have done.
So for the next month, we did physical therapy with his hind legs, we used doggy diapers, we cleaned up his poo poo from his butt all the time. He learned to walk by swinging his waist forward to pull his hind legs up. He seemed mostly happy just to have us around but kind of scared.

The saddest thing for him was at night, when we went upstairs to bed and he couldn't. The first night he cried at the bottom of the stairs until i decided to come down and sleep on the couch. He was a lot happier.

He got more used to it, so did we. Eventually, he could feel a poop starting to come out; he couldn't control it but he could frantically ask to go outside. To pee, we had to regularly go out with him and squeeze his sides to express his bladder; doing this regularly kept him from dripping in the house and kept him from doggy diapers, which he hated.

After 3 months, he could full on run, pulling his hind legs along with him. And I was still sleeping on the couch every night to keep him company. I slept on the couch every night for about a year, until i went to gov school.

Forward

My mom told me that Cody was dead. She couldn't say much more than that. He died this morning. Like, he had just died and she was calling.

My dad took the phone to say Cody died doing what he loved. He was coming home from a walk and saw a rabbit and ran after it. We always joked that if he ever caught up to a rabbit he'd just sniff it and lick it and wag his tail. While he was running after the rabbit in his funny paralyzed run, he just... fell. And he started breathing really heavily. My dad watched him die right there. Breathing heavily, then slower, then not at all.

My dad described in detail the death and the breathing for some reason. Even though i didn't see it, the image still haunts me to this day. I can't get it out of my head.

I still went to class that day. I don't know why, I sat in the back and cried in every class.

Legit cried reading that. So sad he had to go so shortly after a triumphant hero recovery :( I know I would've been absolutely paralyzed after something like that, I can't fathom how you managed to go to class.

bong

by Shine

FluffieDuckie posted:

bong and drilldo please stop making GBS threads up ths saddest summer memories thread or i will give you your own sad summer memory

your moderation has already givven me enough sad memories to last multiple years actually

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

----------------

drilldo squirt

FluffieDuckie posted:

I consider this a sad summer memory because I let you down.

----------------

FluffieDuckie

drilldo squirt posted:

:love:

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

shinmai

CHK Instruction

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm sure FluffieDuckie will be benevolent and give you a chance to prove you're a Good Poster.

e: See?

Absurd Alhazred

by Athanatos
I think my saddest summer memory was when I had to read my Mom's eulogy to my grandmother, because she was her only surviving child but was on the other side of the world and couldn't attend the funeral. She was my favorite grandmother growing up, only I hadn't seen her for years because I couldn't bear meeting her after she had a stroke that left her barely functional. I was sad, and guilt-ridden for not seeing her for so long, and missing my Mom.

----------------

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think my saddest summer memory was when I had to read my Mom's eulogy to my grandmother, because she was her only surviving child but was on the other side of the world and couldn't attend the funeral. She was my favorite grandmother growing up, only I hadn't seen her for years because I couldn't bear meeting her after she had a stroke that left her barely functional. I was sad, and guilt-ridden for not seeing her for so long, and missing my Mom.

That's heavy stuff, friend. I've had a similar experience with my great-grandmother, and have made an effort to make time to spend time with elder relatives while they're still alive. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must've been to read your own mother's words on the death of her mother :( Like I said, heavy stuff :O

Matoi Ryuko

I remember when my mom got really drunk and tried to climb a train car behind a bar, she fell and broke her spine in 3 places. My sister woke me up at 3 am and I knew something terrible had happened instantly. I was going to go down to the hospital but it was like 2 hours away and I had to work a 12 hour shift at a pets mart distribution center in 45 minutes or I'd get fired, so I worked the entire shift then went to my other job and told them I couldn't work and they said I had to so I quit and drove two hours to the hospital and totally didn't even think to drink any water and almost passed out when I got there due to dehydration. Mom is okay now, 8 years of physical rehab have helped alot, she can walk but not for a very long way. And after alot of therapy she is in a much happier place now mentally the when she was after the accident.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
it was the summer of 1972 and i was an 11-year-old girl and a hypochondriac. My dad was an awkward widower who never seemed to understand me, and as a result, constantly ignored me. He worked as a funeral director and we lived at the funeral parlor, which led me to develop an obsession with death as well as disease. i also thought that i had killed my own mother, since she died giving birth to me. I also regularly tended to my invalid grandmother, who suffered from Alzheimer's disease. My uncle Phil, who lived nearby, also stopped by frequently to help out the family.

i was teased by other girls because my best friend, Thomas, was unpopular and a boy. Our summer adventures from first kiss to last farewell introduced me to the world of adolescence.

my summer began well. i befriended Shelley Devoto, the new make-up artist at my dad's funeral parlor, who provided me with some much needed guidance. i was also infatuated with my teacher, Mr. Bixler, and i stole some money from Shelley's trailer to attend a summer writing class that he was teaching. :(

But before long, things started to fall apart. My dad and Shelley started dating and got engaged, i couldn't bring myself to tell my dad that i had experienced my first menstrual cycle, Thomas died from an allergic reaction to bee stings while looking for my mood ring in the woods, and i found out that Mr. Bixler was engaged to someone else. i was the most sad that Mr. Bixler was engaged and that still haunts me to this day.

:smith:

my grief, however, managed to mend the rift between me and my dad, i learned that i didn't kill my mom during childbirth (since dad told me that things like mothers dying in childbirth just happen), and by the end of the movie, i had not only managed to deal with my pain and grief, but had also overcome some of my previous issues as well.

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I remember when my mom got really drunk and tried to climb a train car behind a bar, she fell and broke her spine in 3 places. My sister woke me up at 3 am and I knew something terrible had happened instantly. I was going to go down to the hospital but it was like 2 hours away and I had to work a 12 hour shift at a pets mart distribution center in 45 minutes or I'd get fired, so I worked the entire shift then went to my other job and told them I couldn't work and they said I had to so I quit and drove two hours to the hospital and totally didn't even think to drink any water and almost passed out when I got there due to dehydration. Mom is okay now, 8 years of physical rehab have helped alot, she can walk but not for a very long way. And after alot of therapy she is in a much happier place now mentally the when she was after the accident.

That sounds like an absolute monster of a day. I admire your conviction and bravery for quitting the second job to ho be with your mom! Glad to hear things had some kind of a silver lining in the end.

Luvcow posted:

it was the summer of 1972 and i was an 11-year-old girl and a hypochondriac. My dad was an awkward widower who never seemed to understand me, and as a result, constantly ignored me. He worked as a funeral director and we lived at the funeral parlor, which led me to develop an obsession with death as well as disease. i also thought that i had killed my own mother, since she died giving birth to me. I also regularly tended to my invalid grandmother, who suffered from Alzheimer's disease. My uncle Phil, who lived nearby, also stopped by frequently to help out the family.

i was teased by other girls because my best friend, Thomas, was unpopular and a boy. Our summer adventures from first kiss to last farewell introduced me to the world of adolescence.

my summer began well. i befriended Shelley Devoto, the new make-up artist at my dad's funeral parlor, who provided me with some much needed guidance. i was also infatuated with my teacher, Mr. Bixler, and i stole some money from Shelley's trailer to attend a summer writing class that he was teaching. :(

But before long, things started to fall apart. My dad and Shelley started dating and got engaged, i couldn't bring myself to tell my dad that i had experienced my first menstrual cycle, Thomas died from an allergic reaction to bee stings while looking for my mood ring in the woods, and i found out that Mr. Bixler was engaged to someone else. i was the most sad that Mr. Bixler was engaged and that still haunts me to this day.

my grief, however, managed to mend the rift between me and my dad, i learned that i didn't kill my mom during childbirth (since dad told me that things like mothers dying in childbirth just happen), and by the end of the movie, i had not only managed to deal with my pain and grief, but had also overcome some of my previous issues as well.

I'm allergic to bee stings and love mood rings :aaaaa: Even creepier, earlier this year I purchased a vinly of the album 'Buzzkunst' by the duo ShelleyDevoto, made up of ex Buzzcocks members Pete Shelley and Howard Devoto :aaaaa:
I'm glad the movie had a happy ending!

December Octopodes

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!

Luvcow posted:

i thought thomas turned into nicholas cage after the bee attack, but otherwise a very sad story

sex idiot

That summer i interned at the crying puppy factory

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Im not sure if I got "sad" memories that I can remember straight up, there is no memory in particular that stands out. My dog dying, my grandmother obviously lovely as hell.. but outside that, I've seen alot of crap and unspeakable *evil*.. but for some reason nothing stands out as extremely sad... Might have been there and then ,but then I am done with it I supose... maybe I've just become jaded. Which in itself is kinda sad I guess.

<3 <3 Vanisher

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Uxzuigal posted:

Im not sure if I got "sad" memories that I can remember straight up, there is no memory in particular that stands out. My dog dying, my grandmother obviously lovely as hell.. but outside that, I've seen alot of crap and unspeakable *evil*.. but for some reason nothing stands out as extremely sad... Might have been there and then ,but then I am done with it I supose... maybe I've just become jaded. Which in itself is kinda sad I guess.

/
Not getting sad about how the world is can be a blessing in disguise, I think. It's important to not always be all peachy, but the world is a super lovely place on average, so if you can be a lil' bit callus and not let things get under your skin, it can also be a good thing.

ghost emoji

oooOooOOOooh
my dog died the summer of my senior year. she was 14 and i'd had her since she was a puppy. i wasn't even there when it happened, i was at cross country practice. she died alone and scared in an empty house and i never got to say goodbye

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The contents of this post and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the intended recipient of this post, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the post and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this post or any attachments by an individual or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

peanut

We moved across the country in the last four months of 8th grade. I quickly made friends with the goth kids at my new, temporary school. My brother and I stayed with "cousins" in Orange County while our dad worked up in the Bay Area. My brother got the bedroom of the oldest sister who quickly tired of the crowded house and moved out hastily, I slept in the living room.

Just a few days after the end of the school year, I rode in the back of the truck on the highway as we moved five hours North to join our dad. He had been squatting in an unused office at his factory, but he finally secured some rooms in a house from someone at church. That dude's Thai wife divorced him and took the kids as soon as she got her green card, leaving him with an empty house except for their monthly visit. The bedrooms still had his daughter's clothes in the dressers and posters on the wall, so I preferred to sleep in the living room.
The house had no AC, and ants in the
kitchen.

My brother got sick of the whole thing and conspired with cousins back on the East Coast to move out abruptly.
It was kept a secret from me until the rental car arrived to take us to the airport. He left, I stayed.

Epilogue: Everything is great now.

the unabonger
my moms birthday is the 19th of june, mine is the 21st, fathers day is usually somewhere in there on a sunday.

in 2010 my dad passed of liver cancer on the 16th.

he had relapsed, and when he did he was infected with hep c again, which sent the polyps that were already growing in his liver to go into overdrive and become cancerous tumors. I spent the 15th by my dads side in his hospice care facility with my brother, my mom, and my dads closest friend george. we listened to the dead, tim hardin and paid our last respects but basically were all just in a daze.

what would normally be a happy time in my family has changed to a solemn and somewhat bitter time for me and my mom. Its hard for both of us to celebrate our birthdays while keeping out the memories of my dads relapse and death.

shinmai

CHK Instruction

ghost emoji posted:

my dog died the summer of my senior year. she was 14 and i'd had her since she was a puppy. i wasn't even there when it happened, i was at cross country practice. she died alone and scared in an empty house and i never got to say goodbye

Oh no :( So many sad pet stories. Hope she went peacefully, at least...

peanut posted:

We moved across the country in the last four months of 8th grade. I quickly made friends with the goth kids at my new, temporary school. My brother and I stayed with "cousins" in Orange County while our dad worked up in the Bay Area. My brother got the bedroom of the oldest sister who quickly tired of the crowded house and moved out hastily, I slept in the living room.

Just a few days after the end of the school year, I rode in the back of the truck on the highway as we moved five hours North to join our dad. He had been squatting in an unused office at his factory, but he finally secured some rooms in a house from someone at church. That dude's Thai wife divorced him and took the kids as soon as she got her green card, leaving him with an empty house except for their monthly visit. The bedrooms still had his daughter's clothes in the dressers and posters on the wall, so I preferred to sleep in the living room.
The house had no AC, and ants in the
kitchen.

My brother got sick of the whole thing and conspired with cousins back on the East Coast to move out abruptly.
It was kept a secret from me until the rental car arrived to take us to the airport. He left, I stayed.

Epilogue: Everything is great now.

That sounds like an Ingmar Bergman movie :geno: just depressingly bleak and hopeless. Thank you for the epilogue :h:.

i flunked out posted:

my moms birthday is the 19th of june, mine is the 21st, fathers day is usually somewhere in there on a sunday.

in 2010 my dad passed of liver cancer on the 16th.

he had relapsed, and when he did he was infected with hep c again, which sent the polyps that were already growing in his liver to go into overdrive and become cancerous tumors. I spent the 15th by my dads side in his hospice care facility with my brother, my mom, and my dads closest friend george. we listened to the dead, tim hardin and paid our last respects but basically were all just in a daze.

what would normally be a happy time in my family has changed to a solemn and somewhat bitter time for me and my mom. Its hard for both of us to celebrate our birthdays while keeping out the memories of my dads relapse and death.

Cancer is easily the worst thing in the world, by a massive margin. It's nice that your dad got to spend his last moments in good company. A friend who's parents died in a car crash on her birthday took to celebrating it 6 months from the real date, and dedicated her real b-day to reminiscing about her parents with friends and family.

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
When my home hosted the worst shooting in American history, motivated by reckless hate for a community I am a member of.

poverty goat

A few days ago it was v nice out but now it's too hot

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude

mister magpie posted:

When my home hosted the worst shooting in American history, motivated by reckless hate for a community I am a member of.

:( Thoughts and prayers... I hope that friends and family are as OK as they can be.

<3 <3 Vanisher

bong

by Shine

mister magpie posted:

Not to undermine what you;re saying but there have been much worse shootings in American history

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

----------------

wearing a lampshade

I once spent an entire summer without seeing any of my school friends and I was super bummed about it but then when school started I realized I hadn't actually given them a means to contact me

shinmai

CHK Instruction

mister magpie posted:

I don't have a rating icon with enough sad faces.
There is very little that can be said about this event and events like it that would offer any consolation, so I won't even try. Suffice to say, I'm sure we're all feeling the pain and wishing that the people affected will find a way to continue on with their lives.

shinmai

CHK Instruction

The Goatfather posted:

A few days ago it was v nice out but now it's too hot

Summer + "too hot" = excuse to drink unlimited amounts of iced tea

albany academy posted:

I once spent an entire summer without seeing any of my school friends and I was super bummed about it but then when school started I realized I hadn't actually given them a means to contact me

A valuable life lesson about the importance of handing out your business card at every opportunity!

alnilam

I'm sorry mister magpie

weird

by zen death robot

bong posted:

Not to undermine what you;re saying but there have been much worse shootings in American history

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

goodbye bong...

----------------

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Me and my siblings and the neighbor kids were all out catching huge dragonflies with butterfly nets and i managed to hit one dead on with the metal rim of a net. Knocked it out of the air and onto the ground. We gently picked him up and tried to give him a nice safe habitat to recover in but man that was it for him. Rip in peace dragonfly.

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I shot a bird with a bb gun and felt really bad afterwards but probably not as bad as the bird did.

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

• Locked thread