Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Well we can assume the secret illuminate cabal of doctors aren't satan worshipers, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost

Blastinus posted:

Just a note for the future, that word Caduceus is actually pronounced cah-doosh-us or cah-doo-see-us. Normally I wouldn't make a big deal over how a word is pronounced, but it seems like it's going to factor in pretty heavily into the story, so I figured I'd nip it in the bud.

Perfectly fair. I'm working on retraining myself to pronounce it correctly. I blame my high school Bio/AP Bio teacher who pronounced it as I originally did. And you're very much correct, though seeing as how the entire next chapter is named after the organization might be a bit of a giveaway as to its relevance!

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Well we can assume the secret illuminate cabal of doctors aren't satan worshipers, right?

If we they are, I can assure you, we they have the best interests of humanity in mind. It's for the greater good, really. Fiat Lux

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
While I hate to double post, it's been a busy weekend and I got a fair bit done, so here's a comparison video for chapter 1 of Trauma Center: Second Opinion! I have no intentions of LPing that game since for the most part it's identical to this one, but I figured a little mini-LP side series would get the point across and bolster the amount of content I can create for y'all. The plan is to have these side vids be in this style - cuts to show graphical/operational differences when they exist, the different portraits that I keep calling sprites because I'm stupid, etc. etc.

I also dislike a substantial number of things with the remake. But that's a subject for future videos and discussion.

The Splash
May 30, 2011

I'll never say hole again.

shibbotech posted:

I'd also like to make a bit of an interest check. Would anyone watch a brief side video going over Asclepius in mythology? I like the figure and some of the myths he's in, so it's something I was kicking around doing - a little research and maybe 7-8 minutes of discussion. This wouldn't take priority over the gameplay, though. Lemme know what you think!
Adding another vote of interest for the side video and more compliments on the delightful commentary, I've really been enjoying this LP.

Also... got a bit ahead of things but hey, when one has time to play around in Photoshop:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
I am Commander Sazero, and this is my favorite LP on the citadel.

I hope the next update is going to be good aswell. In fact I'll bet that it will. :smug:

Now will you please remove the sutures Dr.Shibbo? I don't care that your "autograph" is going to be worth millions when you get internet famous I want it off! :colbert:

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

Sazero posted:

Now will you please remove the sutures Dr.Shibbo? I don't care that your "autograph" is going to be worth millions when you get internet famous I want it off! :colbert:

Get another surgeon to do it. We're busy at Satan's place. :D

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Sazero posted:

Allow me to answer you with a video.

Chapter two operation showcase will be up tomorrow for all your actual gameplay needs.

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 28, 2016

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Please rename the thread title to "Diseases are painful," TIA.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Wait... wtf was that little offhand remark from Weaver? "They've accepted me so kindly... ONLY BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH"

is she a vampire. be real with me here. she's a vampire isn't she.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Miz Kriss posted:

Please rename the thread title to "Diseases are painful," TIA.

But losing someone to disease is even more painful! :shrug:

GeminiSun posted:

Wait... wtf was that little offhand remark from Weaver? "They've accepted me so kindly... ONLY BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH"

is she a vampire. be real with me here. she's a vampire isn't she.

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations. She might be a succubus though. I mean, Derek's making deals with the devil, and I'm actually a demon in a man-suit, so hey. Anything's possible!

Also, since mister Sazero decided to crack jokes about my autograph some more, I thought I'd go ahead and try to illuminate you all. I didn't spend six goddamn hours between this and the HT dare for nothing

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I'll admit I can see a "o" in there somewhere.
But I was actually complaining about the pixelation :colbert:

It's not as if cursive is hard to read to begin with

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Pixelation? What pixelation? Those graphics are stunning. Beautiful. State of the art. 10/10, GOTY 2016. Looking forward to the Oculus remaster.

And all joshing aside, I'd like to thank Sazero for joining us for the chapter 2 operation showcase! It was a grand ol' time commentating over it, even if gathering the raw footage left me contemplating what life choices I'd made to LP this drat game. :goleft: You guys should totally check out his LP of Dissidia Final Fantasy Duodecim at this thread right here!

aneurysms are God's way of finding humor in his creations, and S-rank requirements are just Lucifer adding a punchline
also the mic knock at 7:02 was the sound of my head hitting the desk in discontent at that operation

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 29, 2016

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
So in the latest of a string of questionable impulse decisions, I hauled rear end to visit a friend who's been under the weather lately. Provided homemade food and all sorts of good stuff (and was rewarded with booze), though chilling out for the past few days has left me kinda silent on this front. I'm still shooting to have the first bit of chapter three up tomorrow afternoon/evening.

In other news, my little brother apparently found my channel somehow and sent me a Steam message at 4 AM asking if he could collaborate on a video with me. I couldn't say no. (Warning: actual 12-year-old)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

shibbotech posted:

So in the latest of a string of questionable impulse decisions, I hauled rear end to visit a friend who's been under the weather lately. Provided homemade food and all sorts of good stuff (and was rewarded with booze), though chilling out for the past few days has left me kinda silent on this front. I'm still shooting to have the first bit of chapter three up tomorrow afternoon/evening.

In other news, my little brother apparently found my channel somehow and sent me a Steam message at 4 AM asking if he could collaborate on a video with me. I couldn't say no. (Warning: actual 12-year-old)

D'awwww :3:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
The new generation of medical LPers :allears: That was pretty cute, man. Your brother has some chops

Narrating the dialogue though :argh: Kid needs to go back to the sandcastle.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Skippy Granola posted:

The new generation of medical LPers :allears: That was pretty cute, man. Your brother has some chops

"<dadotech>: We were at walmart when I got the msg - he watched the video while we were in line, smiling ear to ear the whole time... Lil Shib - lmao
<dadotech>: That was really cute"

:3:

:siren: So before clicking the update, I feel like I need to clarify something about why I'm doing this LP. I'd initially wanted to play something completely different (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance of all things) because of its sentimental value to me. However, I settled on this for a variety of reasons - it's challenging, it's enjoyable, and as I've grown up, well...a lot of the story has become more relevant to the things I've experienced. Given that my motivation for doing this was to share nostalgia and some personal experience through the gameplay and commentary, I felt that the commentary on this video is appropriate for my goal, if a bit personal and heavy. That is all. :siren:

Part 6 is here.

...cheers.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
This video was... certainly interesting to record. I did have to promise not to make any comments about Professor Bonca in the video because it would have ruined the mood.

...I may have gone off about Professor Bonca for about 10 minutes after recording ended. :v:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Holy poo poo, that sucks. :(

It sounds like your family were there for your stepfather until the end, and I hope your stepfather didn't pass away in pain, at least.

On a lighter note, Surfer Doctor should be Mei, war criminal that he is.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

ManicVolcanic posted:

...I may have gone off about Professor Bonca for about 10 minutes after recording ended. :v:

10? Dude it was almost half an hour. You were maaaaaaad. :colbert:

HardDisk posted:

Holy poo poo, that sucks. :(
It sounds like your family were there for your stepfather until the end, and I hope your stepfather didn't pass away in pain, at least.
On a lighter note, Surfer Doctor should be Mei, war criminal that he is.

Thanks for the kind words, HardDisk. I appreciate it. And I agree with the rebranding of Tyler as Mei, we meet someone far more fitting to be edgelord Reaper in the next part. As a matter of fact, that part is right here for your viewing pleasure!

...I have been waiting far too long to get this one commentated on. This was the quintessential episode that I -had- to keep Manic in the dark for, and I'm glad I did. :devil:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I realized roughly about an hour after recording that we totally missed the opportunity to call Dr Cop the "Iron Maiden" if we wanted to continue with all of the metal references this episode.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Miz Kriss posted:

I realized roughly about an hour after recording that we totally missed the opportunity to call Dr Cop the "Iron Maiden" if we wanted to continue with all of the metal references this episode.

I am actually a bit disappointed we didn't think of that, you're brilliant Kriss. As an aside, I got curious after making the Deftones/Pantera collab joke and did some searching: there was apparently an interview (which I could only find a snippet of) in which Chino Moreno recalls touring with Pantera and White Zombie back in '96! How about that. It's only about a paragraph, but it's a neat read. In addition, while not a mashup, I also located a phone-recorded clip from a concert in Mexico where they performed a little snippet from "Walk"!

...look I like music, what can I say. Side note, any goons in the Nashville/Knoxville area that want to hang out, I've got two VIP tickets to a Coheed & Cambria show in October. Meet 'n greet with the band, free swag, exclusive one-song performance, photo op. The colleague I was going to bring got promoted and can't go anymore since he works another shift. So now I'm sitting on an extra $120 will-call only ticket. Haha...ha... :negative:

oh right this is an LP, I guess there'll be gameplay like tomorrow or something maybe

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Who needs gameplay when you can instead have hour-long discussions of euthanasia and Greek mythology (not at the same time)

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Aw man Trauma Center! I loving hated loved this game! I borrowed it from my cousin when we were but wee lads and could only manage to get up to the final few levels before my 12 year old self was just not good enough. Fun to see someone who's good at the game play through it, even if it's not all S Ranks because gently caress that noise. You and ManicVolcanic do good commentary, looking forward to the next episode.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Can't wait till you show the Wii version of the bomb operation.

It is very stupid.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Aw man Trauma Center! I loving hated loved this game! I borrowed it from my cousin when we were but wee lads and could only manage to get up to the final few levels before my 12 year old self was just not good enough. Fun to see someone who's good at the game play through it, even if it's not all S Ranks because gently caress that noise. You and ManicVolcanic do good commentary, looking forward to the next episode.

Hey, thanks for the kind words chief! I am deadset on at least getting an A on all operations in the showcase videos - you might wanna check those out if you're interested in seeing my best-effort runs.

PhazonLink posted:

Can't wait till you show the Wii version of the bomb operation.
It is very stupid.

It's amazing and awful and I hate almost everything about Second Opinion. The music overhauls are nice, some of the quality of life stuff is neat, but the controls are janky and I'm really not that big on just how much they didn't bother to change (well, that and the changes they did make simply don't justify the game's existence for me). I do actually enjoy the bomb operation in Second Opinion just because of how stupid it is.

Of course, we can't progress to chapter 3 without first visiting Second Opinion's take on chapter 2! This one is on the short side simply because as far as I could tell, every line of dialogue in all the cutscenes is nigh-identical. The one thing I did notice was Derek getting snippy about antihistamines, but that's really about it. Also Sazero threw me another challenge, also bomb-related, so that should be fun!

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Sazero fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 9, 2016

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

So, uh, is this your entry for the Illuminati Recruitment contest? Because I'm certainly enticed to join a shadow organization.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Nah, that's just Denmarks new flag

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Is there a reason why you're wiggling the cursor around a lot while scalpeling?

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Cheez posted:

Is there a reason why you're wiggling the cursor around a lot while scalpeling?

Good question, Cheez! There is indeed, provided you're talking about the "Z" operation at the end of the video! Those weird tumors seem to act a lot like the synthetic membranes in the DS version did - single cuts don't do it, instead it feels like you need to hit a certain number of spots to get the veins to actually sever. I freely admit that I may be wrong on this, but after a few attempts at that operation, I found that the wiggling was the quickest and most reliable method to clear out those veins.

I also re-watched the video and just noticed that the mysterious blonde guy with the magical pendant thing is wearing a tie. Like, actually beneath the crazy orange/black trenchcoat. I also did a little digging into the operation itself and uncovered a few fun facts about the Wii remake that make me hate it even more, including:

-the bullshit "extend your operation to farm patients for points" thing is back thanks to the new Chain system. I don't think I touched on that in either video so far, but Second Opinion does not feature a Miss Limit; instead, there's this Chain mechanic. Essentially, a Miss or a Bad will break your chain, while "Ok"s, Goods, and Cools will extend it. In a lot (possibly all) of the operations, part of your special bonus is getting a certain Chain score. For operation Z-2, that chain is 100+. In other words, just sit there and let the little tumors spawn. Like, a lot.

-the Healing Touch no longer impacts your special score, taking it from "hey this game is challenging because you can't use your crutch" to "oh this is actually required in some operations to max rank them, good luck". It also feels like the time requirements on these operations are tighter in terms of getting the special bonus, and when coupled with Wii motion controls, it's not that fun. I also confirmed after re-running some operations back to back that Dr. Weaver's Healing Touch does -not- slow down time, it only gives a moderate boost to vitals when "Ok"s, Goods, or Cools are scored. It may even work with Bads, but I'm too good at the game for that. :colbert:

-on the Hard difficulty, there is now something called an XS rank, "Medical Prodigy". This is even more ridiculous than S ranks in Under the Knife, as it -requires- Cools to be scored in a vast majority, if not every single possible instance. On top of that, in all difficulties, there have been definite changes made to how certain operations are handled that gives a false sense of difficulty and makes me despise the game. I'll rant about that later on, I'm sure.

I'm hoping to have the next part of the main storyline posted either later today or tomorrow, depending on some scheduling stuff!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

When you use the scalpel, if you're not following dots, the thing you want to do is hold the tool button on the thing you're trying to cut until it's cut, always. In some cases when you don't do either of those things you're just tapping it and that's good enough, but I forget when that's a thing.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Cheez posted:

When you use the scalpel, if you're not following dots, the thing you want to do is hold the tool button on the thing you're trying to cut until it's cut, always. In some cases when you don't do either of those things you're just tapping it and that's good enough, but I forget when that's a thing.

I just tried it out and you are absolutely correct! Clearly I've not done my due diligence in ensuring proper techniques for Second Opinion's operations, I really appreciate your advice here. I'm sure it'll make my life fairly easier going forward with the operation comparison videos. Unlike Under the Knife, which I revisit every year or two, I played through Second Opinion once shortly after its release and then never touched it again. Evidently I need to brush up on some of the mechanics for the remake.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

shibbotech posted:

I just tried it out and you are absolutely correct! Clearly I've not done my due diligence in ensuring proper techniques for Second Opinion's operations, I really appreciate your advice here. I'm sure it'll make my life fairly easier going forward with the operation comparison videos. Unlike Under the Knife, which I revisit every year or two, I played through Second Opinion once shortly after its release and then never touched it again. Evidently I need to brush up on some of the mechanics for the remake.

Frankly you could use all the help you can get when it comes to the wii controls. They're not particularly bad, but overall more difficult to use and anything that cuts down on the amount of poo poo you have to put up with elsewhere is probably welcome.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

ManicVolcanic posted:

Who needs gameplay when you can instead have hour-long discussions of euthanasia and Greek mythology (not at the same time)

Not to mention the discussion of euthanasia basically pisses all over the main arguments on both sides of the real-world euthanasia debate.

On one side, you have a doctor with satanic time dilation powers in a world where medical science can go from discovering a disease to curing it in a matter of days.

On the other side, you have a doctor so focused on ending suffering that he can't even be bothered to hold off on killing people until all potential treatments have been exhausted.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Cheez posted:

Frankly you could use all the help you can get when it comes to the wii controls. They're not particularly bad, but overall more difficult to use and anything that cuts down on the amount of poo poo you have to put up with elsewhere is probably welcome.

They weren't too bad with a Wiimote; keyboard and mouse emulation is a bit more of a hassle. You're definitely correct, though - I'm 100% open to advice and tips in handling that nightmarish abomination innovative motion control scheme.

Cockmaster posted:

Not to mention the discussion of euthanasia basically pisses all over the main arguments on both sides of the real-world euthanasia debate.

On one side, you have a doctor with satanic time dilation powers in a world where medical science can go from discovering a disease to curing it in a matter of days.

On the other side, you have a doctor so focused on ending suffering that he can't even be bothered to hold off on killing people until all potential treatments have been exhausted.

Yeah, coupled with the whole 180 Tyler does after three years of playing death doctor in the span of about five minutes of dialogue, and it certainly comes off kind of cheesy. I still rather enjoy that segment of the story as a whole, but when you apply real-world logic to just about anything in this game, it falls apart and turns into a hamfisted tale of the magical morality surgeon saving the human race.

I did promise some gameplay today, so enjoy the completion of Sazero's time bomb challenge! I really do recommend watching this one - I'm pretty proud of how it turned out in terms of me handling the operation, both under Saz's challenge and under some self-imposed fun.

Edit: oh right, why I can't use OpenGL with this game:

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 11, 2016

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I'll have you know that I'm a shitposting danish half-elf :colbert:

I call the legitimacy of the blind operation into question. But that is besides to point.
You have completed my challenge and I admit defeat.

But villains never truly die.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Sazero posted:

I'll have you know that I'm a shitposting danish half-elf :colbert:

I call the legitimacy of the blind operation into question. But that is besides to point.
You have completed my challenge and I admit defeat.

But villains never truly die.

Now now, my friend, I offered to send you the rather large raw .flv recording that has not only those glorious six and a half minutes of gameplay, but also many hours of me fumbling around and getting pretty good at blowing myself up while blind. It's not the most visually appealing video to watch, given that a lot of it is either black screen, blue screen, or me re-enabling the main BG layer so I can figure out where the hell those microchips are to laser, but it's a 100% legitimate video. I appreciate your utter fear that I'm better than you first thought. :smuggo:

Love you Saz, look forward to making your life hell in the near future :toot:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

You do realize of course that any gloating you do now, I'll be returning twice when I inevitably defeat your next challenge?

Honestly though it'll be a while before I can have you on again. I wouldn't want to ruin the finale of Duodecim with your voice after all. :haw:

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

- Sazero

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
No worries, we haven't died of GUILT or dynamite... yet. Stay tuned for an update :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Indeed, we are still alive, just been busy with the occasional RL stuff. Got an important certification exam coming up this week, fingers crossed!

Update 8 - Math Is The Real Terrorism

I've got some stuff in mind for how to approach the side videos as well. Expect a handful of small side updates over the course of the next week, plus part 9 around, oh...Friday or so.

Hope all y'all are doin' well!

• Locked thread