Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I've just gotten to the Second Opinion Comparison video and I have to disagree with your argument against motion controls for this game. I felt like the game was much tighter in Second Opinion. The sensor felt snappy and responsive to me, I think what was most important with the infrared sensor on the Wii was to keep the right distance away. It helps there isn't any shake n' pray mechanics in Second Opinion.

I also like the art style a lot more but I really like the Atlus art for Persona and SMT.

edit: oh you are using your keyboard to control the nunchuk, that would throw a spanner in the works :v:

Full disclosure: I have never played Under The Knife, but I have played every single other game in the Trauma Series and enjoyed them thoroughly. I also XS'd most of the Hard Mode missions in Second Opinion, so I'm familiar with a lot of the mechanics in SO.

edit2: Also, the voice acting in the Second Opinion is fantastically over-dramatic and one of my favorite dubs in videogames ever

How Rude fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost

How Rude posted:

I've just gotten to the Second Opinion Comparison video and I have to disagree with your argument against motion controls for this game. I felt like the game was much tighter in Second Opinion. The sensor felt snappy and responsive to me, I think what was most important with the infrared sensor on the Wii was to keep the right distance away. It helps there isn't any shake n' pray mechanics in Second Opinion.

I also like the art style a lot more but I really like the Atlus art for Persona and SMT.

edit: oh you are using your keyboard to control the nunchuk, that would throw a spanner in the works :v:

Full disclosure: I have never played Under The Knife, but I have played every single other game in the Trauma Series and enjoyed them thoroughly. I also XS'd most of the Hard Mode missions in Second Opinion, so I'm familiar with a lot of the mechanics in SO.

edit2: Also, the voice acting in the Second Opinion is fantastically over-dramatic and one of my favorite dubs in videogames ever

I agree with the art style in general, I rather enjoy SMT 4 in particular - I just don't like it as much as Under the Knife's. Maybe it's the rose-colored glasses talking there (I freely admit that I adore Under the Knife almost to a fault and am willing to overlook it's many flaws) but I think it just suits the game better than the slightly more youthful artwork of Second Opinion.

That said, I did enjoy the actual physical Wii controls of Second Opinion - I just like having a stylus more. I wouldn't say they're -bad- given the era they were in - Red Steel comes to mind, with those questionable swordfights... - but something about having the pinpoint accuracy on the DS screen just felt so much more satisfying. Coupled with the struggles I've had in emulation and it becomes even more obvious where my bias lies. That said, it would be wrong of me to not acknowledge another's opinion. I would still recommend Second Opinion to anyone wanting to give the games a shake - I would just recommend Under the Knife more. :shrug:

If you want to hop in on the chapter 3 comparison for SO, just give me a shout here! I would seriously love having some expert commentary and opinion in regards to SO's version of the time bomb operation, if nothing else. And I would totally recommend picking up Under the Knife if you get a chance. I've heard really good things about Under the Knife 2 but have never played it. Maybe if this LP goes over well, I'll pick it up as my next project...

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Thanks for the offer but I'll pass, my voice is very grating to listen to. Your LP so far is great because I've never seen the original game in action and I'm loving the entertaining commentary.

UTK2 is very much a continuation in the gameplay style of UTK but with all the improvements in gameplay SO and New Blood did. If you love the way UTK plays UTK2 will be a great experience.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

The Splash posted:

Also... got a bit ahead of things but hey, when one has time to play around in Photoshop:

Congratulations champ, you are the :siren:winner:siren: (and loser, and sole entrant :negative:) of my poorly advertised contest! Toss me a message at shibbotechsa@gmail.com and let me know if you want plat or the avatar change.

In non-LP news, I have a job interview this week as well as a certification exam, so I'm lagging behind on my plans for side videos! That said, the first part of chapter 4 will probably be up tomorrow night or so. We shall see what the rest of the week holds. Hope everyone following along is doing well and wishing you all the best!

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I'm sorry, did the end of chapter 3 say they got an urgent telegram?

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

WombatCyborg posted:

I'm sorry, did the end of chapter 3 say they got an urgent telegram?

Yes. Yes it did. The start of part eight also said we "diffused" a bomb. Apparently Derek Stiles is actually a transport protein in a man-suit.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think Derek is necessarily unaware that Mexico and Africa are, uh, slightly unrelated - I read that line as more like "I've never even visted this really nearby foreign country you can drive to, and now here I am flying to goddamn Africa?"

That's not as funny though :V

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

GeminiSun posted:

read that line as more like "I've never even visted this really nearby foreign country you can drive to, and now here I am flying to goddamn Africa?"

Bonus points for the game taking place in not!California, where half of everyone can and does drive to Mexico, just cause.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Just a quick bump to say that I'm still alive and have some stuff recorded, we're hashing stuff out for further episodes. This entire week was eaten by the job hunt escalating at a rapid pace, and I found out yesterday that I got the position! So I'm feeling pretty great about the RL situation at the moment, but definitely not meeting my pacing plans for the LP. Ah well, can't win them all! Hope y'all are doing well, and I hope to get some content up over the weekend.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
As far as your comments about passports, you can get them rushed in as little as 24 hours now.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I like to think that the medical illuminati pulled some strings and got him a passport instantly... or snuck him in because illuminati.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

CrazySalamander posted:

As far as your comments about passports, you can get them rushed in as little as 24 hours now.

I legitimately didn't know that! Last time I got one was about a decade ago as a kid - I want to say it was like six or eight weeks or something ridiculous. On the upside Canada was cool.

Miz Kriss posted:

I like to think that the medical illuminati pulled some strings and got him a passport instantly... or snuck him in because illuminati.

Well, we -do- operate outside of government authority. We are the law :black101:

It took a bit longer for my schedule to clear out than I'd like, but part 9 is up! We haul rear end from Africa back home to help out our ailing mentor. The plot from here gets a little weird with its pacing, but we're around halfway done with the operations in the game at this point. Thanks as always for hanging out and I hope y'all enjoy. :toot:

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Part 9 was a huge disaster to record so y'all better enjoy it.

The game's pacing does seem to be a little weird at this point. It feels like they had a beginning written and an ending written and then realized that they had run out of game and therefore had nowhere to put the middle.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Operating on an airplane that's experiencing turbulence is pretty baller, though.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
I'm just waiting for Derek to have to operate on himself while stuck in the Australia outback while under attack from dingoes.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

ManicVolcanic posted:

Part 9 was a huge disaster to record so y'all better enjoy it.

YouTube died on us about, what, four times while trying to commentate on the drat video? Finally on this last take it only died on me, and since I'd already seen the entire thing god knows how many times, we just rolled with it. A bit of a clusterfuck is the Shibbotech Touch™.

HardDisk posted:

Operating on an airplane that's experiencing turbulence is pretty baller, though.

I actually quite enjoy that operation, as it rewards you for taking risks. The fluid spawns in set patterns of three, and you need to drain eight in order to complete the operation - so it is possible to do in three cycles, even if you miss a pocket of fluid. However, if you leave any fluid out while the turbulence occurs, it spawns inflammation and tanks your special score because you'll get a "Bad" for healing the hole afterward.

Shinji117 posted:

I'm just waiting for Derek to have to operate on himself while stuck in the Australia outback while under attack from dingoes.

I can see it now. "This strain of GUILT is transmitted by canine saliva! Luckily this kangaroo's pouch is full of sterile surgical tools, local anesthesia, and raw meat for me to distract the dingoes with! Five minutes should be plenty of time for major surgery. Let's begin the operation! :toot:"

As an aside I've grabbed the raw footage for the chapter 3 operation showcase, and surprisingly the worst one in the bunch was the Kyriaki operation. Suturing those huge lacerations is a pain in the rear end. I'm hoping to have that edited and up some time tomorrow.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

shibbotech posted:

A bit of a clusterfuck is the Shibbotech Touch™.

is that what you call waht happened during the last Castle Crashers session :v:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

mateo360 posted:

is that what you call waht happened during the last Castle Crashers session :v:

It's what happens in every session of everything I'm in, forever.

But I'll take the beauty of my chaos over everyone else's perfection. :3:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Oh god I had an LP going on poo poo poo poo poo poo I was so busy with the new job and guesting on other people's stuff

The new job is amazing! The new friends are great! The LP is back on! Tonight, we ride! :black101:

Part 10 is up! Thanks to Dr. Snark for dropping in and mending my fragile relationship with the nurse. Hopefully I'll get some more videos out over the course of the week, but driving 75 miles each way every day for work is kind of taxing. :negative:

Also for those wondering, Milkface. That is all.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Trauma from repeated surgeries can be vicious, which is one of several reasons why techniques like laparoscopic surgery (in which a camera and tools are threaded into a small incision distant from the target of surgery) are coming into greater use. But the Anime Metastasis certainly didn't help.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
We're back, everyone! We had a lot of fun recording this episode, so we hope you enjoy it.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo guys we're back for realsies! Real life got in the way as I mention in the start of the vid, but everything is settled on my side. We should be back to a semi-normal schedule of like two vids a week, complete with a lot of side video backlog. Truthfully the cancer scare was the most morbidly hilarious version of the "LP Curse" I ever saw. Happy anime surgery here's your possible lymphoma (don't worry I got better)

Joining Manic and I for part 11 is the wonderful Skippy Granola! It's up here for your viewing pleasure! In which we begin chapter 5 and learn that this game has major bullshit potential even as we near endgame.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

ManicVolcanic posted:

We're back, everyone! We had a lot of fun recording this episode, so we hope you enjoy it.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

At least Skippy Granola isn't claiming to be a nutritionist. Dieticians have to go through coursework and other forms of accreditation, so they're supposed to know their poo poo. Meanwhile nutritionists have no necessary qualifications at all; Skippy could legitimately claim to be a nutritionist regardless of any training or experience.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

NGDBSS posted:

At least Skippy Granola isn't claiming to be a nutritionist. Dieticians have to go through coursework and other forms of accreditation, so they're supposed to know their poo poo. Meanwhile nutritionists have no necessary qualifications at all; Skippy could legitimately claim to be a nutritionist regardless of any training or experience.

A very salient point! Then again, as we all know, I'm totally a Real Doctor and would never deceive anyone into thinking otherwise! Ahaha...yes. Quite. Besides, no one would really dare to lie on the internet, especially not about playing games for the entertainment of the faceless masses.

Speaking of video games for entertainment, part 12 is live here! Skippy joins us once more for a lovely exploration into the American cell of everyone's favorite terrorist organization, and we meet the last two types of GUILT. Please do enjoy. We're approaching the end game of the story now, so expect some side videos over the next few weeks to demonstrate my prowess at the game, as well as comparisons to the Wii remake!

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Well, that.... escalated. :stare: I feel like Angie's dad may need, like, therapy. And probably some serious antidepressants. And possibly a nice hobby? Calling it now: he worked himself to burnout and probably lost one patient too many, and instead of just changing careers or having a normal Earth human kind of personal crisis, he had a massive anime flameout and decided to cope with his feelings of despair over the seeming futility of his life's work by running as hard in the opposite direction of it as he possibly could.

So, like. Yeah. Therapy.

By the way: great update, loved the commentary, but Manic's volume was way way low for some reason? I had a really hard time hearing him and probably missed like 50% of his commentary.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

GeminiSun posted:

By the way: great update, loved the commentary, but Manic's volume was way way low for some reason? I had a really hard time hearing him and probably missed like 50% of his commentary.

That's a thing my mic would do for no reason??? Just, like, super drop in volume. I have no idea why it happens, or how to fix it once it does, but it goes away on its own eventually and, aside from that, I have a new mic now so we good. :keke:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

GeminiSun posted:

Well, that.... escalated. :stare: I feel like Angie's dad may need, like, therapy. And probably some serious antidepressants. And possibly a nice hobby? Calling it now: he worked himself to burnout and probably lost one patient too many, and instead of just changing careers or having a normal Earth human kind of personal crisis, he had a massive anime flameout and decided to cope with his feelings of despair over the seeming futility of his life's work by running as hard in the opposite direction of it as he possibly could.

So, like. Yeah. Therapy.

let's be real Manic's commentary is expendable Yeah as he said above, for some reason his mic just dips. I did the best I could with normalizing and whatnot but this episode was a bit difficult to balance between the background noise and his commentary randomly dipping. Should be good going forward though!

Yeah this game really gets kind of insane toward the end. No worries, we aren't quite done yet! Expect part 13 and at least one operation showcase to come up this weekend for your viewing pleasure. Glad you've been enjoying it so far, Gemini, always enjoy your feedback. :toot:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I know there is an actual Balboa in the LA area, near Newport Beach, but I think its mostly residential and tourist focused.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Maigius posted:

I know there is an actual Balboa in the LA area, near Newport Beach, but I think its mostly residential and tourist focused.

Is it rocky? :v:

Anyway, I like how this game has gone full insane anime now. And to think, the beginning of this game was just removing tumors and glass.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Ah the famous double HT, time stop.

Legend has it a triple HT can time travel. But no one has done it. Or have they? Is the entire field of medicine a closed time looped?

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Maigius posted:

Sure enough, there's a Balboa peninsula and pier. Even better. What a perfect place for bioterrorism research, right? And surely remote, secluded, and mountainous, as befitting a pier.

Miz Kriss posted:

Is it rocky? :v:

Anyway, I like how this game has gone full insane anime now. And to think, the beginning of this game was just removing tumors and glass.

We started out so normal. I'm really glad I was able to drag Manic along for this blind - he's only played Trauma Team - because the buildup really feels like someone put their foot on the gas and proceeds to never let up. And we aren't quite at full insane anime yet...

PhazonLink posted:

Ah the famous double HT, time stop.

Legend has it a triple HT can time travel. But no one has done it. Or have they? Is the entire field of medicine a closed time looped?

If you pull off a triple HT you get shunted into another game. The last guy to do it ended up going crazy, kidnapping a princess, and spending eternity fighting four Warriors of Light.

To make everyone's weekend a little brighter and give you all something to watch, please enjoy the Chapter 3 Operation Showcase! I'm focusing more on my backlog of side videos for a bit, as we are in the endgame of the main story. Skippy came back for this one too. not using him to bolster my view counts at all

Hope everyone has a lovely day and I'll drop in later this week with some more side videos.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

shibbotech posted:

not using him to bolster my view counts at all

:laffo:

Whatever man I'm in it for good times and no hassles. Thanks again for inviting me to lend my voice! I had a great time

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Skippy Granola posted:

:laffo:

Whatever man I'm in it for good times and no hassles. Thanks again for inviting me to lend my voice! I had a great time

See, you say that, but I earned a whole six cents off part 11. That was all you, buddy. I didn't get jack poo poo off the remaining vids.

...though to be fair as soon as I turned a profit, my content was demonetized for violating the new ToS. Your check for $0.02 will be in the mail shortly.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

shibbotech posted:

...though to be fair as soon as I turned a profit, my content was demonetized for violating the new ToS. Your check for $0.02 will be in the mail shortly.

You can keep my check, I get your two cents all the drat time

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Sorry for stagnant thread, RL stuff came up. Got a few funerals to go to this week. Lots of driving. Etc. etc.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Take care of yourself as you need, Shibbo. Really sorry to hear about the funerals. :(

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Okay, so! Funerals done, followed by bronchitis, followed by a recent car wreck (I'm fine, car and wallet aren't). Good news: chapter four showcase tomorrow, part 13 of the main story Sunday, regular schedule going forward from there. Hoping to wrap most of this up by the end of the month, at least in terms of recording. Thanks for the patience and well-wishes, folks. Love y'all. <3

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Self-care is drinking a pint of Jack Daniels and performing wizard surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
And here we are folks, live again with a rare weekend of back-to-back updates. Today is a lovely side video featuring our ol' pal Dr. Snark! There's also a surprise appearance from the drunkshib of KOTOR2 and stream stuff. Please enjoy the Chapter 4 Showcase.

Children's puzzles are hard.

• Locked thread