Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

The aneurysm operation was what did me in. I don't do well with difficulty cliffs or strict time limits, or both at once, or both at once while an imaginary person's life hangs in the balance. Way too much stress for my delicate little heart.

Thanks for doing this LP, Shibbo. Now I can experience Derek Stiles: Ace Surgeon vicariously through someone who is way the gently caress less stressed out about imaginary surgery than I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Haha, wow, gently caress off, Angie. You rag on Derek for his bedside manner and then you go and say the Worst Things Possible to a suicidal patient? Just gently caress right off.

Not that Derek's much better, frankly. I don't know if this is general misunderstanding of depression or just values dissonance (probably both), but wow, me and my depression over here would like to punch all of these characters in the face for talking to the poor kid that way. Jesus. "We wasted our time saving you, go ahead and die you ungrateful poo poo", with a follow-up of "you should be ashamed of yourself for wanting to die, because people care about you"? How about you all EAT MY poo poo. :mad:

.... anyway. :sweatdrop:

And then just, OH, THERE'S A DEATH DOCTOR, all like, casually? What?? WHAT IS THIS GAME. :stare:

This is a fuckin' ride, I tell you what.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, Linda's actual writing is really pretty good, and it makes the terrible bedside manner (and ACTIVE MALICE HI ANGIE) all the more jarring. :psyduck:

Definitely looking forward to part 5, though. If this rate of anime escalation continues... :stare:

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm pretty sure this is pure :japan: values dissonance, as mental health understanding is even shittier there than it is in the west. For one thing, actually seeking help is stigmatized, as it's supposed to stay in the family.

That's what I thought was most likely, yeah. There's just enough of the well-intentioned but Completely Wrong attitude that you also find in the US to make me bristle, but even as I was bristling I was thinking "Okay, yeah, this is Extremely Japan..."

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

shibbotech posted:

I was unaware as to the severity of the stigma against mental illness in Japan - I'm not nearly as up to snuff on other cultures as I should be - so I started doing a little digging into the topic. Even some cursory searching via Google Scholar reveals some really jarring stuff:

Real talk, I'm fighting my own battle with good ol' 296.33 and it's hard enough in a supportive environment not to feel a sense of shame or failure when that dark weight settles on your shoulders. I can't imagine being in a culture where it's touted as a weakness and an inherent failure of personality or strength to suffer from something beyond your control. Granted, that second link is from 2002 - hopefully the statistic of patients never seeking help has fallen in the past decade and a half. The mescaline article is also interesting, by the by.

Holy.... what.... :psyduck: I knew it wasn't great over there, but... what......

And yeah, drat - I've only been suicidal at my absolute worst points, but I think growing up in a cultural climate like that would have actually killed me. drat.

(Solidarity fistbump, btw.)

Seyser Koze posted:

Pretty sure a number of mystery authors were doing the exact same storyline far in advance of this. Michael Palmer comes to mind.

It's not so much the existence of a death doctor that surprises me, it's how casually they bring it up. "Well, she seems to be doing better. good thing she came here! If she went to some other hospital she might've gotten euthanized by that death doctor we're only just mentioning for the first time now! :downs:" Like, this topic isn't even worth a sprite change? :psyduck:

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Wait... wtf was that little offhand remark from Weaver? "They've accepted me so kindly... ONLY BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH"

is she a vampire. be real with me here. she's a vampire isn't she.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think Derek is necessarily unaware that Mexico and Africa are, uh, slightly unrelated - I read that line as more like "I've never even visted this really nearby foreign country you can drive to, and now here I am flying to goddamn Africa?"

That's not as funny though :V

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Well, that.... escalated. :stare: I feel like Angie's dad may need, like, therapy. And probably some serious antidepressants. And possibly a nice hobby? Calling it now: he worked himself to burnout and probably lost one patient too many, and instead of just changing careers or having a normal Earth human kind of personal crisis, he had a massive anime flameout and decided to cope with his feelings of despair over the seeming futility of his life's work by running as hard in the opposite direction of it as he possibly could.

So, like. Yeah. Therapy.

By the way: great update, loved the commentary, but Manic's volume was way way low for some reason? I had a really hard time hearing him and probably missed like 50% of his commentary.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Take care of yourself as you need, Shibbo. Really sorry to hear about the funerals. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress you if you have arachnophobia, apparently.

• Locked thread