Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
I need 10 CCs of anime, stat! Let's Play Trauma Center: Under the Knife!

What is Trauma Center?
Trauma Center is a nifty series spawned shortly after the release of the Nintendo DS by Atlus. This entry is the first in the series, Under the Knife, which came out in 2005; it received some favorable reviews from critics, but the sheer difficulty that Atlus introduces in everything they touch turned off a fair number of players. It touts itself as a simulator, but really it feels a bit more like an action/puzzle game with a visual novel backbone for the story.

What is the story, anyway?
The year is 2018; cancer, AIDS, any currently-terminal disease you can think of? Yeah, all that's treatable now. In this game we play as Derek Stiles, a rookie surgeon who just finished his residency at Hope Hospital. He's young and foolhardy at best, but good-natured. His nurse assistant, Angie, helps to whip him in shape and get him to act like a proper doctor. All well and good, if a bit skeletal.

And then the anime takes over. Please no spoilers. This game takes a little while to get going, but wow does it get out there.

So...why this game? How will content be delivered?
I absolutely adored this game when it was first released. Back in those days, I wanted to be a neurosurgeon when I grew up, so I grabbed this game as soon as I'd heard about it and proceeded to play it for hours on end. It's remarkably addicting and enjoyable, and I do like the story quite a bit. The gameplay itself requires some quick thinking and decent reflexes, becoming rather complex by the endgame.

There's a great SSLP on the archives by World, but I feel that to really experience the game, you should watch a playthrough. My intent is to share that nostalgia I still have for the game with the viewers (even if I'm going to riff on it a fair bit). This will be a VLP without a particular regard to the scores of the missions, more intended to walk the viewer through the game's deceptively extensive and somewhat dark storyline while entertaining them along the way. By noooo means am I going to S-rank everything. I'm nostalgic, not insane.

What else are you going to offer? What makes this any different than a stream of the game, if you don't care about the operation scores?

Well, my friend, as I said above - my intention is to share my positive experience and nostalgia of the main storyline with the viewers. That said, I'm also planning on a series of side videos that touch on things beyond the main story: displaying a chapter's operations in one burst of best-effort to demonstrate mechanics and tips (and difficulty), some discussion videos in regards to threads of the storyline that parallel real-world events, and so on.

Of course, being a rookie surgeon means I could go for some help. Luckily, Nurse ManicVolcanic is here to assist me, alongside a team of guest co-commentators professional consultants on-hand to help treat the chronic ills of dead silence and awkward pauses. If you want to join the staff, just give me a shout. I'm shooting for at least weekly updates, but if I can get a few more in, so be it! To the OR!

Video List - Main Story
Update 1 - Meet Derek Stiles (or How I Learned I'm a Surgeon, Too)
Update 2 - Witch Doctor Stiles? (or Cardiac Warlock: the Reckoning)
Update 3 - The "A" is for Asclepius (or Let's Surgeon It Up)
Update 4 - Sadness and GUILT (or Emotional Trauma Center: Under Prozac)
Update 5 - Diseases are Painful (or "Caddikis")
Update 6 - Euthanasia Isn't A Place (or They Call Me Shibbo the Sentimental)
Update 7 - Delphi Set Us Up The Bomb (or Yin-Yang Tumors)
Update 8 - Math Is The Real Terrorism (or Superstar ManicVolcanic)
Update 9 - Diagnosis: Wednesday (or Toxin Hold 'Em)
Update 10 - Nanomachines, Son! (or "The Doctors Snark")
Update 11 - It Never Ends (or Skippotech 2: Dietary Supplements)
Update 12 - Crouching Delphi, Evasive Spider (or Why Dex Isn't a Dump Stat)
Update 13 - Sailing on the Seven Sins (or Prying Open My Third Eye)
Update 14 - Absolution and Tedium (or Living GUILT-free)
Update 15 - Epilogue (or Please Stop Hitting On My Mom, Thank You)

Video List - Operation Showcases
Operation Showcase: Chapter 1 (or Doctor Shibbo and Mister Styles)
Operation Showcase: Chapter 2 (or Walk Toward the Light)
Operation Showcase: Chapter 3 (or Abel and Kain/Caine/Cain)
Operation Showcase: Chapter 4 (or Pick 'er Up by the Pempti)

Video List - Second Opinion Comparison Videos
Let's Compare - Chapter 1
Let's Compare - Chapter 2

Video List - Stupid Side Stuff/Guest Challenges
Autograph (Sazero Challenge 1)
so a child wanted to co-commentate
Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Bomb (Sazero Challenge 2)

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Medical Illuminati Recruitment Poster Contest!
In part 5 of the LP, we're introduced to what basically amounts to a shadow organization hellbent on curing all disease forever. On a whim, we devised a contest while recording the episode.

Come up with a poster and slogan to help convince people to join Cadeceus (or whatever medical shadow organization you want)! Manic and I will judge the entries. Winner gets a plat upgrade or an avatar change, their choice. I know we said "one week" in the video, but I'll be closing this 23:59 Central Time on 7/17/16.

As an addition, anyone who submits an entry will be given a chance to guest on an episode of the LP if you so desire! Good luck, and I look forward to seeing how this pans out!

The Splash posted:

Also... got a bit ahead of things but hey, when one has time to play around in Photoshop:

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 7, 2016

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Skrewtape posted:

I like the first video, and I'm looking forward to the rest of this LP. I played this game when it came and I remember it gets super difficult later on; difficult enough that I never finished it. I didn't even know there was such a thing as an S ranking in the game. Do you know what some of the secret objectives are to get them?

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the first video. This game definitely ramps up the difficulty - honestly, part 3 of this LP contains two of my least favorite operations in the game because of how tight some of the maneuvers get - and truthfully, I don't know that I could S-rank every operation. To me, though, that would kill the fond and admittedly rose-colored view I have to the game.

The objectives I refer to, for the most part, are all geared toward maxing out the "Special Bonus" segment of the score. For example, in operation 1-6 ("A Real Doctor"), you cannot have more than two Bad rankings on parts of the procedures; in 1-2 ("Standard Procedure 2") and 1-3 ("A Farewell"), using the ultrasound and not keeping the tumors on screen will cost you enough points to lose the S-rank, making it a better idea to avoid the tool entirely and memorize where they are instead. In addition, to obtain an S-rank, you cannot make any misses during the operation, and there is a hidden time limit that must be met - otherwise you just get an A-rank. There's another component to this that I'll touch on when a later mechanic is introduced.

To avoid a double post, I'd also like to say that part two is now up! We clear the rest of chapter 1, I try some more editing techniques, and we learn that medicine might be more magical than we thought.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Awesome advice stuff and mutual groaning at S-ranks

I'm slowly becoming familiar with AviSynth and editing in general, this was a really interesting read and thank you for sending it my way! Given the nature of this game, I'm electing to stick with the stacked screens, but I can definitely see where this'd be helpful for other DS games.

HardDisk posted:

That's a huge glass shard that just popped out from a heart. :stare:

I think that's a huge part of why that's my personal favorite operation. It just keeps escalating. Revive him! Treat his wounds! Explore his chest! Treat his heart! Revive him again! Oh god, so much glass! Holy poo poo, his heart just split in half!

And then he's completely fine as soon as the suture's made. Good. Realism.

Also: we have a showcase of the operations in Chapter 1! Thanks again to our nursing assistant Kriss for popping in, for both this and part 3 (which should be up later this week!)

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

HaroldofTheRock posted:

:stare: So uh what is the situation with tort reform in the far flung future of 2018?
First part of the video I was cringing at the thought of a doctor racing through the procedure as fast as you went...then I saw the second part :stonk:
Seriously though, you have insane skill. Those S ranks were crazy to watch.

Well thanks for the kind words, chief! And let's be real, I'd rather have someone like Derek get his hands -out- of my body ASAP. And we're all human, mistakes are made and frustration needs to be vented...

I also believe we're operating under a no-payer system, as at no point in the game is insurance or medical billing brought up, as far as I recall. We get waaaaay too anime for such mundane discussions. Since there's no cost, surely there's no malpractice, right? Hahaha...ha...please don't report me to the board I'll get better I promise

Mzbundifund posted:

I love this stupid game and your commentary is fun to listen to. It's funny and not loud and overbearing.

(elaboration on Operation Surprise Lung Tumor)

I appreciate the compliment, as well as the clarification from a medical perspective! Metastasis I'm somewhat familiar with as a concept, but I was unaware of the proclivity for cells to propagate to the lungs. Makes a lot of sense after thinking about it though. And I suppose it's difficult to spot when you're more concerned with getting drinks with symposium buddies than keeping people alive. Derek's not really the best doc. :downs:

Last but not least, part three of the main storyline is up! I tried a few new things with the audio editing and would appreciate feedback on that. Thanks again to everyone enjoying the thread so far!

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Skippy Granola posted:

Oooooh I never managed to complete this game. I think I tapped out just as the peak anime was getting started - thank you for finally bringing me closure with your worm-shaped sutures

That's another ancient Greek technique, the Sutures of Skolex. Not to be confused with the Bandages of Boreas or the Antibiotics of Apollo. The sad part is, I can't tell where you tapped out from that description - because every time you think it peaks, it seems to soar to greater heights. It's the Icarus of anime, if you will, except instead of plummeting into the oceans of reality it just veers directly into the hellfire of Atlus gameplay. Hopefully I'll be able to show you all sorts of fascinating stuff, Skippy.

Blastinus posted:

I find it a little odd that the game would give you a new special technique and then proceed to penalize you for using it, but this IS Atlus we're talking about. I'm surprised that they don't also take away points every time you inject a patient with Green Potion.

Now, to be fair, they don't penalize you in the sense that it actually changes anything relating to the story - hell, I'm convinced they intended you to utilize it heavily throughout your first time through the main game, as just picking up the game and playing it is pretty rough. But if you're going to play the vanity game and go for S-ranks across the board in challenge mode, well...prepare to suffer.

Side note: I've been reviewing the requirements for S-ranking the two actual operations in part 3, and it looks like I need to knock at least twenty seconds off 2-1 (Dormant Ability, the spleen thing) as well as entirely skip Angie's conversation, as well as knock almost a full minute off 2-4 (Awakening, the aneurysm thing). Also they spelled "aneurysm" wrong in the text.

Part 4 may feature a special guest as a pharmacist, depending on his availability. Hoping to have that up around Thursday!

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 21, 2016

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

GeminiSun posted:

The aneurysm operation was what did me in. I don't do well with difficulty cliffs or strict time limits, or both at once, or both at once while an imaginary person's life hangs in the balance. Way too much stress for my delicate little heart.

Thanks for doing this LP, Shibbo. Now I can experience Derek Stiles: Ace Surgeon vicariously through someone who is way the gently caress less stressed out about imaginary surgery than I am.

Hey, it's quite my pleasure. Part 4's gameplay contains my favorite side character in the game, but also a sudden tonal shift out of the blue. I'm still hoping to have the vid up tomorrow so you can see, but it definitely goes from gameplay stress to storyline stress and marks a gradual descent from "medical action puzzler" to "surprisingly heavy twitchy anime surgery".

HardDisk posted:

The reason that the head surgeon doesn't use the Healing Touch anymore is that the patient's life insurance probably didn't cover death from anime bullshit magic and the hospital had to pay they asses out of that malpractice lawsuit. :v:

This actually makes a disturbing amount of sense by the internal logic of the game itself. Huh. I'm accepting this as canon. And presuming Phoenix Wright was involved with the suit.

As an aside, it looks like parts 4 and 5 will cover the remainder of chapter 2, then I'll see about the operation showcase. I'm hoping to post the rest of chapter two by Saturday or Sunday.

I'd also like to make a bit of an interest check. Would anyone watch a brief side video going over Asclepius in mythology? I like the figure and some of the myths he's in, so it's something I was kicking around doing - a little research and maybe 7-8 minutes of discussion. This wouldn't take priority over the gameplay, though. Lemme know what you think!

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
I'll keep the interest check going for now, but I'm glad to hear the positive response so far! I really appreciate everyone who's taking the time to stop in and comment; this is a really awesome experience.

Not much to say at this time, since I think the video speaks for itself, but part 4 of the story is up! It marks a very decisive turning point from the mundane to the fictional, but crosses through Depression Valley along the way. The journey has begun, my friends.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

ZenVulgarity posted:

Casually S-ranking on occasion Trauma Center with good chill commentary? Hell yea. :jerky:

Hey hey, glad you're enjoying it Zen! I was legitimately worried while starting this if I could provide entertaining commentary, though it seems like the thread's a fan. Manic's been a blast to work with as well. Hopefully the showcases will fulfill your A/S-ranking needs, as well. I like to keep things pretty chill. No idea if I'll succeed by the end of this game...

GeminiSun posted:

(impassioned and accurate critique of bedside manner in 2-7)

And then just, OH, THERE'S A DEATH DOCTOR, all like, casually? What?? WHAT IS THIS GAME. :stare:

This is a fuckin' ride, I tell you what.

You make many, many salient points there. I personally enjoyed Linda's actual characterization, and that's what made the scene stick out to me - it's genuinely one of the better representations I've seen of someone who's overwhelmed and in the throes of a crisis, without coming across as too blunt or cheesy. Couple that with Angie's outbursts and Derek's efforts to help as best he can (despite his utterly atrocious bedside manner), and it just feels like a very human situation, I suppose. Compared to the occasionally clunky or cliche writing in this game, and it really made these four operations stand out for me as a child.

And yeah, surprise euthanasia guy, awesome. Wonderful. So to recap what we've learned so far: Angie's a 21-year-old nurse. Derek's a 26-year-old rookie surgeon who just finished a residency, and can also operate on everything forever. Derek possesses a power called the Healing Touch, rumored to be descended from Asclepius, the Greek god of medicine, which lets him cure potentially incurable diseases and save patients who should die. Also there are confidential possibly alien things infecting people and a doctor going around killing people who ask for death.

This is chapter 2 of 6.

Part 5 should hopefully be up later this weekend.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

hopeandjoy posted:

I'm pretty sure this is pure :japan: values dissonance, as mental health understanding is even shittier there than it is in the west. For one thing, actually seeking help is stigmatized, as it's supposed to stay in the family.

GeminiSun posted:

That's what I thought was most likely, yeah. There's just enough of the well-intentioned but Completely Wrong attitude that you also find in the US to make me bristle, but even as I was bristling I was thinking "Okay, yeah, this is Extremely Japan..."

I was unaware as to the severity of the stigma against mental illness in Japan - I'm not nearly as up to snuff on other cultures as I should be - so I started doing a little digging into the topic. Even some cursory searching via Google Scholar reveals some really jarring stuff:

"Review of mental-health stigma in Japan" posted:

Regarding knowledge about mental illness, reviewed studies showed that in the Japanese general population, few people think that people can recover from mental disorders. Psychosocial factors, including weakness of personality, are often considered the cause of mental illness, rather than biological factors. In addition, the majority of the general public in Japan keep a greater social distance from individuals with mental illness, especially in close personal relationships.

"Stigma of mental illness in Japan" posted:

In Japanese society, the social expectation is that supervision or caring for people who have disorders associated with loss of mental and behavioural self-control will be borne by the patients or their families. Thus mental illness is not viewed as something that requires professional treatment. The loss of mental self-control is essentially seen as something over which the person is unable to exercise will power. Japanese are socially programmed to feel a sense of shame if they lack this will power. Although treatments are available for many mental-health disorders, almost two-thirds of sufferers never seek help from a health professional.

Edit: it appears that quoting links as sources adds a quote to the end of the links - if you want to read those articles, be sure to delete the trailing quotation mark!

Real talk, I'm fighting my own battle with good ol' 296.33 and it's hard enough in a supportive environment not to feel a sense of shame or failure when that dark weight settles on your shoulders. I can't imagine being in a culture where it's touted as a weakness and an inherent failure of personality or strength to suffer from something beyond your control. Granted, that second link is from 2002 - hopefully the statistic of patients never seeking help has fallen in the past decade and a half. The mescaline article is also interesting, by the by.

On a cheerier note:

Blastinus posted:

I was wondering how they were going to raise the stakes of this medical drama, but I can't say I was expecting alien invaders, complete with a surgical boss fight. How hard is it to catch those tiny things with stylus controls when they're moving around so much?

It's actually not that bad once you get used to it! By far the boss is the worst part of that operation, since she can dive under and go invisible. And yes, it's a she - they refer to the boss as the Queen. Digging them out just requires a really short laceration, and the laser is practically pinpoint, so it's not too rough.

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 25, 2016

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

GeminiSun posted:

It's not so much the existence of a death doctor that surprises me, it's how casually they bring it up. "Well, she seems to be doing better. good thing she came here! If she went to some other hospital she might've gotten euthanized by that death doctor we're only just mentioning for the first time now! :downs:" Like, this topic isn't even worth a sprite change? :psyduck:

ManicVolcanic posted:

Not only is it not worth a sprite change, it was Angie's neutral-happy sprite. Just like, oh yeah, super casual, happens all the time.

What, you mean you guys didn't know there's an army of Kevorkians running around Angeles Bay? It's like a really awful Russian Roulette - your surgeon might save you, or he might just MDK you on the spot. Who knows. Remember kids, diseases are painful, but exit bags are painless.

Really though, I'm all for the right to die and all that good stuff, but this really is a rather casual plot thread they're tossing out. Rest assured we will get closure on that soon enough, though. And to help expedite that process, why don't we all enjoy update five of the main story? It's a bit short, but we close out chapter two. I've been working on some side stuff as well. Goals for the upcoming week are the Chapter 2 Operation Showcase, the first update of Chapter 3, and a comparison of the first chapter of Second Opinion! I'll also edit the contest rules into the second post of the thread.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Blastinus posted:

Just a note for the future, that word Caduceus is actually pronounced cah-doosh-us or cah-doo-see-us. Normally I wouldn't make a big deal over how a word is pronounced, but it seems like it's going to factor in pretty heavily into the story, so I figured I'd nip it in the bud.

Perfectly fair. I'm working on retraining myself to pronounce it correctly. I blame my high school Bio/AP Bio teacher who pronounced it as I originally did. And you're very much correct, though seeing as how the entire next chapter is named after the organization might be a bit of a giveaway as to its relevance!

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Well we can assume the secret illuminate cabal of doctors aren't satan worshipers, right?

If we they are, I can assure you, we they have the best interests of humanity in mind. It's for the greater good, really. Fiat Lux

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
While I hate to double post, it's been a busy weekend and I got a fair bit done, so here's a comparison video for chapter 1 of Trauma Center: Second Opinion! I have no intentions of LPing that game since for the most part it's identical to this one, but I figured a little mini-LP side series would get the point across and bolster the amount of content I can create for y'all. The plan is to have these side vids be in this style - cuts to show graphical/operational differences when they exist, the different portraits that I keep calling sprites because I'm stupid, etc. etc.

I also dislike a substantial number of things with the remake. But that's a subject for future videos and discussion.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Sazero posted:

Now will you please remove the sutures Dr.Shibbo? I don't care that your "autograph" is going to be worth millions when you get internet famous I want it off! :colbert:

Allow me to answer you with a video.

Chapter two operation showcase will be up tomorrow for all your actual gameplay needs.

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 28, 2016

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Miz Kriss posted:

Please rename the thread title to "Diseases are painful," TIA.

But losing someone to disease is even more painful! :shrug:

GeminiSun posted:

Wait... wtf was that little offhand remark from Weaver? "They've accepted me so kindly... ONLY BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH"

is she a vampire. be real with me here. she's a vampire isn't she.

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations. She might be a succubus though. I mean, Derek's making deals with the devil, and I'm actually a demon in a man-suit, so hey. Anything's possible!

Also, since mister Sazero decided to crack jokes about my autograph some more, I thought I'd go ahead and try to illuminate you all. I didn't spend six goddamn hours between this and the HT dare for nothing

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Pixelation? What pixelation? Those graphics are stunning. Beautiful. State of the art. 10/10, GOTY 2016. Looking forward to the Oculus remaster.

And all joshing aside, I'd like to thank Sazero for joining us for the chapter 2 operation showcase! It was a grand ol' time commentating over it, even if gathering the raw footage left me contemplating what life choices I'd made to LP this drat game. :goleft: You guys should totally check out his LP of Dissidia Final Fantasy Duodecim at this thread right here!

aneurysms are God's way of finding humor in his creations, and S-rank requirements are just Lucifer adding a punchline
also the mic knock at 7:02 was the sound of my head hitting the desk in discontent at that operation

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 29, 2016

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
So in the latest of a string of questionable impulse decisions, I hauled rear end to visit a friend who's been under the weather lately. Provided homemade food and all sorts of good stuff (and was rewarded with booze), though chilling out for the past few days has left me kinda silent on this front. I'm still shooting to have the first bit of chapter three up tomorrow afternoon/evening.

In other news, my little brother apparently found my channel somehow and sent me a Steam message at 4 AM asking if he could collaborate on a video with me. I couldn't say no. (Warning: actual 12-year-old)

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Skippy Granola posted:

The new generation of medical LPers :allears: That was pretty cute, man. Your brother has some chops

"<dadotech>: We were at walmart when I got the msg - he watched the video while we were in line, smiling ear to ear the whole time... Lil Shib - lmao
<dadotech>: That was really cute"

:3:

:siren: So before clicking the update, I feel like I need to clarify something about why I'm doing this LP. I'd initially wanted to play something completely different (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance of all things) because of its sentimental value to me. However, I settled on this for a variety of reasons - it's challenging, it's enjoyable, and as I've grown up, well...a lot of the story has become more relevant to the things I've experienced. Given that my motivation for doing this was to share nostalgia and some personal experience through the gameplay and commentary, I felt that the commentary on this video is appropriate for my goal, if a bit personal and heavy. That is all. :siren:

Part 6 is here.

...cheers.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

ManicVolcanic posted:

...I may have gone off about Professor Bonca for about 10 minutes after recording ended. :v:

10? Dude it was almost half an hour. You were maaaaaaad. :colbert:

HardDisk posted:

Holy poo poo, that sucks. :(
It sounds like your family were there for your stepfather until the end, and I hope your stepfather didn't pass away in pain, at least.
On a lighter note, Surfer Doctor should be Mei, war criminal that he is.

Thanks for the kind words, HardDisk. I appreciate it. And I agree with the rebranding of Tyler as Mei, we meet someone far more fitting to be edgelord Reaper in the next part. As a matter of fact, that part is right here for your viewing pleasure!

...I have been waiting far too long to get this one commentated on. This was the quintessential episode that I -had- to keep Manic in the dark for, and I'm glad I did. :devil:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Miz Kriss posted:

I realized roughly about an hour after recording that we totally missed the opportunity to call Dr Cop the "Iron Maiden" if we wanted to continue with all of the metal references this episode.

I am actually a bit disappointed we didn't think of that, you're brilliant Kriss. As an aside, I got curious after making the Deftones/Pantera collab joke and did some searching: there was apparently an interview (which I could only find a snippet of) in which Chino Moreno recalls touring with Pantera and White Zombie back in '96! How about that. It's only about a paragraph, but it's a neat read. In addition, while not a mashup, I also located a phone-recorded clip from a concert in Mexico where they performed a little snippet from "Walk"!

...look I like music, what can I say. Side note, any goons in the Nashville/Knoxville area that want to hang out, I've got two VIP tickets to a Coheed & Cambria show in October. Meet 'n greet with the band, free swag, exclusive one-song performance, photo op. The colleague I was going to bring got promoted and can't go anymore since he works another shift. So now I'm sitting on an extra $120 will-call only ticket. Haha...ha... :negative:

oh right this is an LP, I guess there'll be gameplay like tomorrow or something maybe

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Aw man Trauma Center! I loving hated loved this game! I borrowed it from my cousin when we were but wee lads and could only manage to get up to the final few levels before my 12 year old self was just not good enough. Fun to see someone who's good at the game play through it, even if it's not all S Ranks because gently caress that noise. You and ManicVolcanic do good commentary, looking forward to the next episode.

Hey, thanks for the kind words chief! I am deadset on at least getting an A on all operations in the showcase videos - you might wanna check those out if you're interested in seeing my best-effort runs.

PhazonLink posted:

Can't wait till you show the Wii version of the bomb operation.
It is very stupid.

It's amazing and awful and I hate almost everything about Second Opinion. The music overhauls are nice, some of the quality of life stuff is neat, but the controls are janky and I'm really not that big on just how much they didn't bother to change (well, that and the changes they did make simply don't justify the game's existence for me). I do actually enjoy the bomb operation in Second Opinion just because of how stupid it is.

Of course, we can't progress to chapter 3 without first visiting Second Opinion's take on chapter 2! This one is on the short side simply because as far as I could tell, every line of dialogue in all the cutscenes is nigh-identical. The one thing I did notice was Derek getting snippy about antihistamines, but that's really about it. Also Sazero threw me another challenge, also bomb-related, so that should be fun!

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

So, uh, is this your entry for the Illuminati Recruitment contest? Because I'm certainly enticed to join a shadow organization.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Cheez posted:

Is there a reason why you're wiggling the cursor around a lot while scalpeling?

Good question, Cheez! There is indeed, provided you're talking about the "Z" operation at the end of the video! Those weird tumors seem to act a lot like the synthetic membranes in the DS version did - single cuts don't do it, instead it feels like you need to hit a certain number of spots to get the veins to actually sever. I freely admit that I may be wrong on this, but after a few attempts at that operation, I found that the wiggling was the quickest and most reliable method to clear out those veins.

I also re-watched the video and just noticed that the mysterious blonde guy with the magical pendant thing is wearing a tie. Like, actually beneath the crazy orange/black trenchcoat. I also did a little digging into the operation itself and uncovered a few fun facts about the Wii remake that make me hate it even more, including:

-the bullshit "extend your operation to farm patients for points" thing is back thanks to the new Chain system. I don't think I touched on that in either video so far, but Second Opinion does not feature a Miss Limit; instead, there's this Chain mechanic. Essentially, a Miss or a Bad will break your chain, while "Ok"s, Goods, and Cools will extend it. In a lot (possibly all) of the operations, part of your special bonus is getting a certain Chain score. For operation Z-2, that chain is 100+. In other words, just sit there and let the little tumors spawn. Like, a lot.

-the Healing Touch no longer impacts your special score, taking it from "hey this game is challenging because you can't use your crutch" to "oh this is actually required in some operations to max rank them, good luck". It also feels like the time requirements on these operations are tighter in terms of getting the special bonus, and when coupled with Wii motion controls, it's not that fun. I also confirmed after re-running some operations back to back that Dr. Weaver's Healing Touch does -not- slow down time, it only gives a moderate boost to vitals when "Ok"s, Goods, or Cools are scored. It may even work with Bads, but I'm too good at the game for that. :colbert:

-on the Hard difficulty, there is now something called an XS rank, "Medical Prodigy". This is even more ridiculous than S ranks in Under the Knife, as it -requires- Cools to be scored in a vast majority, if not every single possible instance. On top of that, in all difficulties, there have been definite changes made to how certain operations are handled that gives a false sense of difficulty and makes me despise the game. I'll rant about that later on, I'm sure.

I'm hoping to have the next part of the main storyline posted either later today or tomorrow, depending on some scheduling stuff!

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Cheez posted:

When you use the scalpel, if you're not following dots, the thing you want to do is hold the tool button on the thing you're trying to cut until it's cut, always. In some cases when you don't do either of those things you're just tapping it and that's good enough, but I forget when that's a thing.

I just tried it out and you are absolutely correct! Clearly I've not done my due diligence in ensuring proper techniques for Second Opinion's operations, I really appreciate your advice here. I'm sure it'll make my life fairly easier going forward with the operation comparison videos. Unlike Under the Knife, which I revisit every year or two, I played through Second Opinion once shortly after its release and then never touched it again. Evidently I need to brush up on some of the mechanics for the remake.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Cheez posted:

Frankly you could use all the help you can get when it comes to the wii controls. They're not particularly bad, but overall more difficult to use and anything that cuts down on the amount of poo poo you have to put up with elsewhere is probably welcome.

They weren't too bad with a Wiimote; keyboard and mouse emulation is a bit more of a hassle. You're definitely correct, though - I'm 100% open to advice and tips in handling that nightmarish abomination innovative motion control scheme.

Cockmaster posted:

Not to mention the discussion of euthanasia basically pisses all over the main arguments on both sides of the real-world euthanasia debate.

On one side, you have a doctor with satanic time dilation powers in a world where medical science can go from discovering a disease to curing it in a matter of days.

On the other side, you have a doctor so focused on ending suffering that he can't even be bothered to hold off on killing people until all potential treatments have been exhausted.

Yeah, coupled with the whole 180 Tyler does after three years of playing death doctor in the span of about five minutes of dialogue, and it certainly comes off kind of cheesy. I still rather enjoy that segment of the story as a whole, but when you apply real-world logic to just about anything in this game, it falls apart and turns into a hamfisted tale of the magical morality surgeon saving the human race.

I did promise some gameplay today, so enjoy the completion of Sazero's time bomb challenge! I really do recommend watching this one - I'm pretty proud of how it turned out in terms of me handling the operation, both under Saz's challenge and under some self-imposed fun.

Edit: oh right, why I can't use OpenGL with this game:

shibbotech fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 11, 2016

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Sazero posted:

I'll have you know that I'm a shitposting danish half-elf :colbert:

I call the legitimacy of the blind operation into question. But that is besides to point.
You have completed my challenge and I admit defeat.

But villains never truly die.

Now now, my friend, I offered to send you the rather large raw .flv recording that has not only those glorious six and a half minutes of gameplay, but also many hours of me fumbling around and getting pretty good at blowing myself up while blind. It's not the most visually appealing video to watch, given that a lot of it is either black screen, blue screen, or me re-enabling the main BG layer so I can figure out where the hell those microchips are to laser, but it's a 100% legitimate video. I appreciate your utter fear that I'm better than you first thought. :smuggo:

Love you Saz, look forward to making your life hell in the near future :toot:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Indeed, we are still alive, just been busy with the occasional RL stuff. Got an important certification exam coming up this week, fingers crossed!

Update 8 - Math Is The Real Terrorism

I've got some stuff in mind for how to approach the side videos as well. Expect a handful of small side updates over the course of the next week, plus part 9 around, oh...Friday or so.

Hope all y'all are doin' well!

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

How Rude posted:

I've just gotten to the Second Opinion Comparison video and I have to disagree with your argument against motion controls for this game. I felt like the game was much tighter in Second Opinion. The sensor felt snappy and responsive to me, I think what was most important with the infrared sensor on the Wii was to keep the right distance away. It helps there isn't any shake n' pray mechanics in Second Opinion.

I also like the art style a lot more but I really like the Atlus art for Persona and SMT.

edit: oh you are using your keyboard to control the nunchuk, that would throw a spanner in the works :v:

Full disclosure: I have never played Under The Knife, but I have played every single other game in the Trauma Series and enjoyed them thoroughly. I also XS'd most of the Hard Mode missions in Second Opinion, so I'm familiar with a lot of the mechanics in SO.

edit2: Also, the voice acting in the Second Opinion is fantastically over-dramatic and one of my favorite dubs in videogames ever

I agree with the art style in general, I rather enjoy SMT 4 in particular - I just don't like it as much as Under the Knife's. Maybe it's the rose-colored glasses talking there (I freely admit that I adore Under the Knife almost to a fault and am willing to overlook it's many flaws) but I think it just suits the game better than the slightly more youthful artwork of Second Opinion.

That said, I did enjoy the actual physical Wii controls of Second Opinion - I just like having a stylus more. I wouldn't say they're -bad- given the era they were in - Red Steel comes to mind, with those questionable swordfights... - but something about having the pinpoint accuracy on the DS screen just felt so much more satisfying. Coupled with the struggles I've had in emulation and it becomes even more obvious where my bias lies. That said, it would be wrong of me to not acknowledge another's opinion. I would still recommend Second Opinion to anyone wanting to give the games a shake - I would just recommend Under the Knife more. :shrug:

If you want to hop in on the chapter 3 comparison for SO, just give me a shout here! I would seriously love having some expert commentary and opinion in regards to SO's version of the time bomb operation, if nothing else. And I would totally recommend picking up Under the Knife if you get a chance. I've heard really good things about Under the Knife 2 but have never played it. Maybe if this LP goes over well, I'll pick it up as my next project...

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

The Splash posted:

Also... got a bit ahead of things but hey, when one has time to play around in Photoshop:

Congratulations champ, you are the :siren:winner:siren: (and loser, and sole entrant :negative:) of my poorly advertised contest! Toss me a message at shibbotechsa@gmail.com and let me know if you want plat or the avatar change.

In non-LP news, I have a job interview this week as well as a certification exam, so I'm lagging behind on my plans for side videos! That said, the first part of chapter 4 will probably be up tomorrow night or so. We shall see what the rest of the week holds. Hope everyone following along is doing well and wishing you all the best!

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

WombatCyborg posted:

I'm sorry, did the end of chapter 3 say they got an urgent telegram?

Yes. Yes it did. The start of part eight also said we "diffused" a bomb. Apparently Derek Stiles is actually a transport protein in a man-suit.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Just a quick bump to say that I'm still alive and have some stuff recorded, we're hashing stuff out for further episodes. This entire week was eaten by the job hunt escalating at a rapid pace, and I found out yesterday that I got the position! So I'm feeling pretty great about the RL situation at the moment, but definitely not meeting my pacing plans for the LP. Ah well, can't win them all! Hope y'all are doing well, and I hope to get some content up over the weekend.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

CrazySalamander posted:

As far as your comments about passports, you can get them rushed in as little as 24 hours now.

I legitimately didn't know that! Last time I got one was about a decade ago as a kid - I want to say it was like six or eight weeks or something ridiculous. On the upside Canada was cool.

Miz Kriss posted:

I like to think that the medical illuminati pulled some strings and got him a passport instantly... or snuck him in because illuminati.

Well, we -do- operate outside of government authority. We are the law :black101:

It took a bit longer for my schedule to clear out than I'd like, but part 9 is up! We haul rear end from Africa back home to help out our ailing mentor. The plot from here gets a little weird with its pacing, but we're around halfway done with the operations in the game at this point. Thanks as always for hanging out and I hope y'all enjoy. :toot:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

ManicVolcanic posted:

Part 9 was a huge disaster to record so y'all better enjoy it.

YouTube died on us about, what, four times while trying to commentate on the drat video? Finally on this last take it only died on me, and since I'd already seen the entire thing god knows how many times, we just rolled with it. A bit of a clusterfuck is the Shibbotech Touch™.

HardDisk posted:

Operating on an airplane that's experiencing turbulence is pretty baller, though.

I actually quite enjoy that operation, as it rewards you for taking risks. The fluid spawns in set patterns of three, and you need to drain eight in order to complete the operation - so it is possible to do in three cycles, even if you miss a pocket of fluid. However, if you leave any fluid out while the turbulence occurs, it spawns inflammation and tanks your special score because you'll get a "Bad" for healing the hole afterward.

Shinji117 posted:

I'm just waiting for Derek to have to operate on himself while stuck in the Australia outback while under attack from dingoes.

I can see it now. "This strain of GUILT is transmitted by canine saliva! Luckily this kangaroo's pouch is full of sterile surgical tools, local anesthesia, and raw meat for me to distract the dingoes with! Five minutes should be plenty of time for major surgery. Let's begin the operation! :toot:"

As an aside I've grabbed the raw footage for the chapter 3 operation showcase, and surprisingly the worst one in the bunch was the Kyriaki operation. Suturing those huge lacerations is a pain in the rear end. I'm hoping to have that edited and up some time tomorrow.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

mateo360 posted:

is that what you call waht happened during the last Castle Crashers session :v:

It's what happens in every session of everything I'm in, forever.

But I'll take the beauty of my chaos over everyone else's perfection. :3:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Oh god I had an LP going on poo poo poo poo poo poo I was so busy with the new job and guesting on other people's stuff

The new job is amazing! The new friends are great! The LP is back on! Tonight, we ride! :black101:

Part 10 is up! Thanks to Dr. Snark for dropping in and mending my fragile relationship with the nurse. Hopefully I'll get some more videos out over the course of the week, but driving 75 miles each way every day for work is kind of taxing. :negative:

Also for those wondering, Milkface. That is all.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo guys we're back for realsies! Real life got in the way as I mention in the start of the vid, but everything is settled on my side. We should be back to a semi-normal schedule of like two vids a week, complete with a lot of side video backlog. Truthfully the cancer scare was the most morbidly hilarious version of the "LP Curse" I ever saw. Happy anime surgery here's your possible lymphoma (don't worry I got better)

Joining Manic and I for part 11 is the wonderful Skippy Granola! It's up here for your viewing pleasure! In which we begin chapter 5 and learn that this game has major bullshit potential even as we near endgame.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

NGDBSS posted:

At least Skippy Granola isn't claiming to be a nutritionist. Dieticians have to go through coursework and other forms of accreditation, so they're supposed to know their poo poo. Meanwhile nutritionists have no necessary qualifications at all; Skippy could legitimately claim to be a nutritionist regardless of any training or experience.

A very salient point! Then again, as we all know, I'm totally a Real Doctor and would never deceive anyone into thinking otherwise! Ahaha...yes. Quite. Besides, no one would really dare to lie on the internet, especially not about playing games for the entertainment of the faceless masses.

Speaking of video games for entertainment, part 12 is live here! Skippy joins us once more for a lovely exploration into the American cell of everyone's favorite terrorist organization, and we meet the last two types of GUILT. Please do enjoy. We're approaching the end game of the story now, so expect some side videos over the next few weeks to demonstrate my prowess at the game, as well as comparisons to the Wii remake!

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

GeminiSun posted:

Well, that.... escalated. :stare: I feel like Angie's dad may need, like, therapy. And probably some serious antidepressants. And possibly a nice hobby? Calling it now: he worked himself to burnout and probably lost one patient too many, and instead of just changing careers or having a normal Earth human kind of personal crisis, he had a massive anime flameout and decided to cope with his feelings of despair over the seeming futility of his life's work by running as hard in the opposite direction of it as he possibly could.

So, like. Yeah. Therapy.

By the way: great update, loved the commentary, but Manic's volume was way way low for some reason? I had a really hard time hearing him and probably missed like 50% of his commentary.

let's be real Manic's commentary is expendable Yeah as he said above, for some reason his mic just dips. I did the best I could with normalizing and whatnot but this episode was a bit difficult to balance between the background noise and his commentary randomly dipping. Should be good going forward though!

Yeah this game really gets kind of insane toward the end. No worries, we aren't quite done yet! Expect part 13 and at least one operation showcase to come up this weekend for your viewing pleasure. Glad you've been enjoying it so far, Gemini, always enjoy your feedback. :toot:

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Maigius posted:

I know there is an actual Balboa in the LA area, near Newport Beach, but I think its mostly residential and tourist focused.

Sure enough, there's a Balboa peninsula and pier. Even better. What a perfect place for bioterrorism research, right? And surely remote, secluded, and mountainous, as befitting a pier.

Miz Kriss posted:

Is it rocky? :v:

Anyway, I like how this game has gone full insane anime now. And to think, the beginning of this game was just removing tumors and glass.

We started out so normal. I'm really glad I was able to drag Manic along for this blind - he's only played Trauma Team - because the buildup really feels like someone put their foot on the gas and proceeds to never let up. And we aren't quite at full insane anime yet...

PhazonLink posted:

Ah the famous double HT, time stop.

Legend has it a triple HT can time travel. But no one has done it. Or have they? Is the entire field of medicine a closed time looped?

If you pull off a triple HT you get shunted into another game. The last guy to do it ended up going crazy, kidnapping a princess, and spending eternity fighting four Warriors of Light.

To make everyone's weekend a little brighter and give you all something to watch, please enjoy the Chapter 3 Operation Showcase! I'm focusing more on my backlog of side videos for a bit, as we are in the endgame of the main story. Skippy came back for this one too. not using him to bolster my view counts at all

Hope everyone has a lovely day and I'll drop in later this week with some more side videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Skippy Granola posted:

:laffo:

Whatever man I'm in it for good times and no hassles. Thanks again for inviting me to lend my voice! I had a great time

See, you say that, but I earned a whole six cents off part 11. That was all you, buddy. I didn't get jack poo poo off the remaining vids.

...though to be fair as soon as I turned a profit, my content was demonetized for violating the new ToS. Your check for $0.02 will be in the mail shortly.

• Locked thread