Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Despite the tier list, I don't have a lot of fun with the Charge Rifle as I do with the Archer or Thunderbolt and I hate the Mag Launcher. It can't compete with the SMR and I'm so sad I can't use the SMR as an anti titan weapon now, it has to take up my primary slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

charge rifle is weird. for some reason i enjoy pipping away with it on lo-power hack way more than the charge shot, but i get kills way less. but its about a thousand times more fun to use

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've only kept using the MGL because I want that loving grenade patch to represent.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

thebardyspoon posted:

Hey so just regenned for the second time (this game is crazy good, never prestiged in any game before) and this article said you got bonus xp (merits I assume they mean, same thing really) for each time you regenerated. Didn't notice it last time or in the few matches I've just done after the second time so I assume that's horseshit right?
There's no bonus; either you were reading an article about the first game or said article was thinking of the first game, where there was a 10% xp bonus per regen.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
For Tone I like getting extra missile locks so I like Enhanced Tracker Rounds or Pulse-Echo. I like Pulse-Echo for general use since you can get locks behind cover or approaching an area while Enhanced Tracker Rounds is better if you're gonna get in and go ham.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Now that I watched that video I always notice the Devotion winding up whenever someone is using it. It really is crazy good. I like the G2.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Biodome posted:

Anyone else still playing on Xbox One?

I am a few nights a week. Gt is shean2theo

E: if you add me send a message. My xbone hates me sometimes

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like his low opinion of grapple is skewed by playing on PC as well as just being as good at the game as he is. I am decent enough at wall running, but I cannot consistently rely on it on getting me exactly when I need to be all the time as he clearly does. I find that I actually do worse most of the time using boosts that are technically better because grapple is such of big part of my play style. It probably doesn't hurt that I've been using grapple more than anything since the beta so I kind of know all the little quirks of it, but I think it's still an invaluable mobility option.

Grapple has a ton off little benefits that people seem to overlook.

Grapple on PC vs console is one issue, the other is that most levels don't have much in the way of verticality. Angel city is the only one with 4 and 5 story heights for pilots to climb. Maybe Blackwater Canal also.

Mordja posted:

By the way, what's the Ion bug that he alludes to when he places her in S-tier?

As most have said, the vortex sheild bug is well documented. The other bug is that embarking gives full energy no matter what. So when Ion is out of energy, it's faster to jump out and back in than waiting for it to regen.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i've not actually tried it but apparently this is also a thing with ion which seems somewhat hilarious given how devastating reflected legion bullets are

https://i.imgur.com/ztv7hz3.gifv

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Bleh I cannot make the Alternator work for me. And I've already regened it once. But I finally got back to it and it just feels awful compared to every other hipfire option out there.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I can't seem to get on with any assault rifles. I want to love the Hemlocke but I'm just really bad at it. :(

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
So I've been playing this like crazy lately and loving it. I haven't gotten into an FPS multiplayer this much since the Halo days. A few things I'll note and or would like answers to....

1.) I've never had so much fun being garbage at a game :v:
2.) Someone mentioned to me earlier that sliding and capping people was way more fun in multiplayer and they were 100% correct.
3.) Wall-running and capping people is even more fun
4.) I'm terrible with Titans
5.) Is there anything I should be saving my credits for? I haven't spent anything and I've just been leveling up whatever the default weapons were.
6.) Still fun being garbage at this game.

My handle is Kithyen if anybody wants to throw me an invite.

EDIT: I'm on PS4, my bad

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 3, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

quite stretched out posted:

i've not actually tried it but apparently this is also a thing with ion which seems somewhat hilarious given how devastating reflected legion bullets are

https://i.imgur.com/ztv7hz3.gifv

Oh my god

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

We played about 15-20 games last night and didn't lose one, and often had new players in our party as well, in addition to me sucking. PS4 crew going strong :getin:

Ularg posted:

Bleh I cannot make the Alternator work for me. And I've already regened it once. But I finally got back to it and it just feels awful compared to every other hipfire option out there.

I gave it another go and it's actually pretty great, fun with stim or phase shift

That said, all the SMGs are pretty good. The CAR has great accuracy and no recoil--but is more like an AR. The R-97 is really hard to control but shits bullets and can be fun on the handful of really small maps. The volt is just overpowered all around.

Combination Peeta posted:

So I've been playing this like crazy lately and loving it. I haven't gotten into an FPS multiplayer this much since the Halo days. A few things I'll note and or would like answers to....

2.) Someone mentioned to me earlier that sliding and capping people was way more fun in multiplayer and they were 100% correct.
5.) Is there anything I should be saving my credits for? I haven't spent anything and I've just been leveling up whatever the default weapons were.

What platform are you on? Give it a couple weeks and the game will eventually click. Don't stay in one spot too long and keep moving. As far as credits I'd say get dice roll first, the last boost you can unlock. It's all I use because it's fun to have random poo poo and you get it faster than the others. All the early guns are pretty drat good. The devotion LMG--the last unlockable one--is a fun gun you'd probably wanna unlock but other than that try them all out as you level and decide from there

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 3, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

1-3) yes
4) tone and ion are pretty straightforward, and ion had so many offensive options you're almost never caught out. Scorch's flame shield cooks titans and reapers
5) Low profile, altenator, Devotion, nuke eject for Ronin, satchel charges
6) if you can consistently kill people while wall running you're certainly better than me

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002

Inspector Hound posted:

1-3) yes
4) tone and ion are pretty straightforward, and ion had so many offensive options you're almost never caught out. Scorch's flame shield cooks titans and reapers
5) Low profile, altenator, Devotion, nuke eject for Ronin, satchel charges
6) if you can consistently kill people while wall running you're certainly better than me

Well I wouldn't say consistently. I just run around using the grappling hook and have probably failed killing people way more times than I've succeeded. But the times it does succeed is extremely satisfying.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Biodome posted:

I'm on the bone; gt=porktree. I'm in one of the goon networks (boyz?).

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

porktree posted:

I'm on the bone; gt=porktree. I'm in one of the goon networks (boyz?).

I, too, am of the xboner boyz. Gt=concernedreader

Wazzit is the Network owner and also usually organizes the party when we end up group playing

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Hell yeah. Added both Xbox one goons. My gamer tag is Biodome. We can get some stuff going soon.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
If anyone would like to add me my PSN is RadValtar.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

chumbler posted:

I know that's a highlight reel, but man I'm so far from being able to do even 1% that well. Also he's right that if they really are using good or bad crosshairs as a way to balance, that's dumb as hell.

If you watch his stream he's good but doesn't just roll over people at mach 2 the way the highlight reels make it look. Partied and in the middle of the list most games. Also, yes, crosshair removal to balance things has totally worked since counterstrike perfected it and no one has ever defeated this clever mechanism.

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like his low opinion of grapple is skewed by playing on PC as well as just being as good at the game as he is.

It's definitely a PC-focused list but you kind of have to assume people know how to wallrun when you're ranking tiers. Phase Shift is too good to not use, just like old Cloak. If we're doing it to specific circumstances I'd shuffle his ranks around based on my region where Attrition is the only thing played. See also: nuke eject is OP because no one ever prepares for or evades it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Magnus Condomus posted:

I, too, am of the xboner boyz. Gt=concernedreader

Wazzit is the Network owner and also usually organizes the party when we end up group playing

My available playing time is sporadic, and my skills are less than stellar, but I'll keep that network on and be happy to play if I can.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
OK. I switched from cloak sniper to grappling hook and float sniper and I'm having a blast!

Also I'm G2. 9 with the double take and I love the pile of heads banner they you get.

SirBuddha
Aug 20, 2006

Biodome posted:

just picked this game up and looking for people to be garbage with, my Xboner tag is Sir Buddha

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Just see a lot of people asking for tips and as someone who never played TF1 it is a bit overwhelming at first to understand the mechanics, what to use, etc

Hi this is true

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
my simplest answer is to watch frothyomens videos on YouTube, every one of them is fantastic and he has a really easy on the ears voice to boot. if you don't want to watch all of them definitely watch his ones about movement, he explains slidehopping very well. then maybe the tier list video but you won't have a lot unlocked. smgs or the eva-8 will be your bread and butter though

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly I would say if you're just getting into it, play around in the game. The movement video is a good idea, but it's also a good idea to learn certain things on your own, because they'll be applied more naturally than trying to do something you saw in a video. As far as weapons tiers go I personally think it's totally unnecessary unless you're some top-tier competitor (which is basically impossible to do in this game, AFAIK there's no world rankings or anything like that beyond "your k/d ratio as compared to the world average" and the like). Play a few matches with the guns you start with and see how they feel (the single-player training stage is actually really good for this since you can easily practice getting accurate with a gun while wallrunning/jumping around). When you unlock a new gun, give it a couple of rounds and see how you feel about it.
There's nothing wrong with losing a ton of matches in your first few weeks, you're not going to have to spend a few more weeks clawing your way out of the bottom tier like it's Overwatch or Destiny or whatever.

A little tip if you're practicing and losing a lot of matches: when you go into the postgame, most of the other team is going to be focused on camping the evac point, and I've found it's usually a great time to catch a bunch of them unawares, so that's a good time to experiment, especially if you want to have some fun and be the guy who holds them all off while the rest of your team gets to the dropship. I've taken out 3 Titans by myself because they were trying to swat my teammates out of the air.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 3, 2017

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
that other poster is also pretty right, although the main reason I suggested the tier list was because some things (like the l star) are outright trap choices for a beginner and will be listed effectively as such

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Is the lstar really that bad? I had fun with it, didn't really keep track of how well I was doing though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I kind of like the L-STAR too, but it is tough to use with its slow projectiles and middling damage. In the latter sense the SRM does better, since I think it only takes three rockets to kill and it might even have some splash.

That said, the thing about tier-lists is that they mostly don't matter outside of high level play. Just use whatever gun you're having the most fun with.

Unrelatedly, when's the next community update? Itching to find out what happens next.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I stopped playing this a couple months ago when ff15 came out and I'm starting back up again now. Did they really get rid of the cash in aspect of attrition? How does it work now?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Eh, tier lists are interesting just to see what is considered absolute garbage. I'm pretty much only interested in what's F Tier.

That Frothy video pretty much aligns to how I feel exactly, although I would rate the Thunderbolt one tier higher since it really shines in certain pubbie situations.

Failboattootoot posted:

I stopped playing this a couple months ago when ff15 came out and I'm starting back up again now. Did they really get rid of the cash in aspect of attrition? How does it work now?

You're mixing up Bounty Hunt and Attrition. Bounty Hunt has cash, Attrition doesn't (and never has)

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Pro tip: Don't be like these guys. Check your six occasionally.

http://i.imgur.com/CrWJu0F.gifv

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002

Hulk Krogan posted:

Pro tip: Don't be like these guys. Check your six occasionally.

http://i.imgur.com/CrWJu0F.gifv

Even as a newbie scrub I can't count the number of times I've strolled casually up to someone and whacked them upside the head because they were focused in one direction.

Of course I'm also unsure of how many times this very same thing has been done to me.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Even as a newbie scrub I can't count the number of times I've strolled casually up to someone and whacked them upside the head because they were focused in one direction.

Of course I'm also unsure of how many times this very same thing has been done to me.

Holy poo poo the phase execution :gonk:

I'm the sad guy who finds these dummies but is using an Eva-8, so half the time I actually end up chasing them across half the map so I can get a clean shot. Nothing worse than hitting someone in the back and not killing them, giving them time to turn it around on you.

The upside is that I get to see the worst of this bad habit. Standing on a roof not checking your six is one thing, running all the way across the open field in Homestead and never looking behind or even around is way more :psyduck:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It's too bad that, while phase execution is a thing, Ronin can only telefrag himself w/ phasing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kelp Me! posted:

Holy poo poo the phase execution :gonk:

As much as I love the one where you punch the other guy's head clean off, I can't not use the phase execution. It's straight out of Mortal Kombat.

Also you can be killed during the phase execution animation, which doesn't make any sense but admittedly it would be kind of bullshit if it was the only execution that made you invincible.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 3, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a big ol baby when it comes to Mortal Kombat stuff, so I'll probably stick with the basic execution forever. Not that it really matters since I think I've only ever gotten 6 executions in the entire time I've played the game.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

As much as I love the one where you punch the other guy's head clean off, I can't not use the phase execution. It's straight out of Mortal Kombat.

Also you can be killed during the phase execution animation, which doesn't make any sense but admittedly it would be kind of bullshit if it was the only execution that made you invincible.

Which is the punch a guy's head off? The only ones I have are the default one and the "pulse blade to the face" one I got as an Advocate gift

Also it's really annoying that executions leave you vulnerable, I've definitely lost a few double kills because I did an execution by accident instead of a regular melee and the 2nd guy had time to notice and shoot me in the face. It's also inconsistent with Titan executions, which not only make you invincible during the animation but also even prevents pilots from rodeoing during it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I forget what it's called but it's this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrZcILLjIyg&t=33s. When you swap executions in create-a-class, you can buy the other ones shown in the video for 300 credits a pop, and the phase shift one unlocks once you do 50 executions.

I'm not sure why sometimes their head flies off and others the helmet pops off to reveal a mannequin head - I'm assuming it's just glitchy. Pretty amusing either way, although it'd be better if you tapped the guy on the shoulder instead of doing the kidney punches.

I like that you can interrupt executions. Feels badass when you off somebody right as they're about to snap your teammate's neck. Realistically, even if you were invulnerable during the animation, anyone who spotted you would smack you the second you came out of it anyway.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 3, 2017