Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Stan Taylor posted:

Is that a teabag at the end?

It's not like they have dancing emotes to celebrate a victory. Yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Maps are really what I need to get the game going, and if there's any feature I would want added now it's a dedicated Thumbs Up button.

Thumbs up as a Titan, thumbs up as a Pilot, anywhere really

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Ularg posted:

I hate everything about the L-star, why the hell do I want to regen every weapon once?

The only thing I can say is treat it like an SMG. Other than that, good luck.

boz fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 9, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ularg posted:

I hate everything about the L-star, why the hell do I want to regen every weapon once?

I actually like it tbh :kiddo:

Definitely not the best, but fun. Just have to lead your shots

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpazmasterX posted:

Phase shift leaves a sparkly trail as they move until about a second before they return. So you know where they won't be and where you should be.

Seriously, it's very easy to follow the sparkles and guess pretty close to where they're gonna pop back out.

And maybe prep the return point with a grenade.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Woo G5. Feel like I'm leveling way slower than all the other goons, though.

It keeps throwing me off that I have to reset all my classes, even if they weren't relocked.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 9, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Not being able to save or copy classes is a huge short sight on their part

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm finally fully committed to Nuke Eject. Also got really, really lucky with them in this match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHlni2OqUio

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I haven't said it yet this week so I'm due to say loving christ I wish people around here were that dumb. :/

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ularg posted:

I'm finally fully committed to Nuke Eject. Also got really, really lucky with them in this match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHlni2OqUio
Northstar Nuke is the best ever, dash tether dash bang!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I got this because apparrently it's now eternally On Sale and after how amazing DOOM was I thirst for single-player campaigns which people said this game has a great one. I dipped my toe into MP for a few seconds and it feels pretty wild, but is it the case that the remaining MP population (like, 2500 people as of ten mins ago) are basically gods and I will be at their mercy?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Pc might only have try hards left. Console is doing well. Had fun games last night with snow, rad and channing. We dominated for 6 games straight just because we coordinated a little and our skill level were consistent and we played as a team (pubbies almost never play with each other in mind)

I think this game has high skill level to play. There's so many boosts and tactic gear to learn. Even if you stick with one you need to learn how other players use theirs. Then you also have the movement system to learn and get used to. Then you have Titan stuff to learn. It's not an easy multiplayer experience but it is very rewarding. I just hope the player count stays up for a while.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Pc might only have try hards left. Console is doing well. Had fun games last night with snow, rad and channing. We dominated for 6 games straight just because we coordinated a little and our skill level were consistent and we played as a team (pubbies almost never play with each other in mind)

I dunno. I started playing this recently and I had a blast on PC. There is still the typical codblops player who stands in a spot and snipes while you can sanic around and destroy them :shrug:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The movement system seems fun as hell but right now I'm still very much in the 'flail around and end up in the middle of an empty street' phase.

edit; I do like how I can contribute by killing the AI soldiers too and just stay the gently caress away from players, that's a nice touch, makes it feel more like a real battlefield.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 9, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I got my first full-out mid-match rant yesterday when 2 guys on the other team alternated between accusing me of hacking and calling me names for using the shotgun. Sorry guys, maybe don't have 5 of you clumped up in one of the narrow hallways on Drydock?

Like I didn't even do that well in the match, 15 pilot kills I think? But getting a quad kill and managing to get away from the 5th guy without dying, right at the beginning, really triggered those 2 for the whole match.

They ended the match at 2 and 4 pilot kills each, btw. At one point one of them was calling me out because he couldn't kill me with the Cold War.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierson posted:

The movement system seems fun as hell but right now I'm still very much in the 'flail around and end up in the middle of an empty street' phase.

edit; I do like how I can contribute by killing the AI soldiers too and just stay the gently caress away from players, that's a nice touch, makes it feel more like a real battlefield.

Use the Grappling Hook and go full Attack on Titan with them - swing off walls for momentum instead of just using them to climb. Don't forget you can 'cut' the line too by pressing Ctrl/Crouch.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pierson posted:

I do this a lot too and IMO it's the single biggest fuckup I make. Not the mobility thing - I screw up bunnyhopping and wallrunning all the time - but moving around at street level, period. You just leave yourself so open to getting ganked from a million directions. I really need to work on it, especially on maps like Angel City or Boomtown.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Use the Grappling Hook and go full Attack on Titan with them - swing off walls for momentum instead of just using them to climb. Don't forget you can 'cut' the line too by pressing Ctrl/Crouch.

Note that grappling onto the front of a Titan for a rodeo will get you smushed 9 times out of 10.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kelp Me! posted:

Note that grappling onto the front of a Titan for a rodeo will get you smushed 9 times out of 10.

Just like Attack on Titan! :gibs:

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Ineffiable posted:

I think this game has high skill level to play. There's so many boosts and tactic gear to learn. Even if you stick with one you need to learn how other players use theirs. Then you also have the movement system to learn and get used to. Then you have Titan stuff to learn. It's not an easy multiplayer experience but it is very rewarding. I just hope the player count stays up for a while.

I'm Tanning, drat it! :) a little coordination was enough to even deal with rooftop campers. Now we are the pubstompers. It helped that with a party of 5 our random teammate kicked in 130+ a few time. I'm gonna gonna give that credit to coordination opening the way. Was a fun time!

By the way, never shoot grunts and specters in titans - especially as Tone. Just walk over them for free points!

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Also, on PS4 at least, make system level parties and then send a play together invite. If you make in game parties, there's no audio mix adjustment available (there is in system parties) and it can be really hard to hear over the din of the battlefield.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Ularg posted:

I feel your pain. I cannot see one redeeming quality of the LStar.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

porktree posted:

I feel your pain. I cannot see one redeeming quality of the LStar.

It shoots Lazer Ballz and sounds appropriately sci-fi.

There. There's your redeeming quality. I agree that it's trash.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like that it gibs the gently caress out of grunts (at least in single-player), not sure if it does that to pilots too?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Enderzero posted:

I'm Tanning, drat it! :) a little coordination was enough to even deal with rooftop campers. Now we are the pubstompers. It helped that with a party of 5 our random teammate kicked in 130+ a few time. I'm gonna gonna give that credit to coordination opening the way. Was a fun time!

By the way, never shoot grunts and specters in titans - especially as Tone. Just walk over them for free points!

Yeah that was really fun how it'd go like 'they're camping that building/roof' and we'd essentially do a goonswarm and it'd be clear in less than a minute. Just being aware of the annoying spots made all the difference. Doesn't matter if they roof camp with the shield if three goons from completely different directions jump up and shoot at him. And then we'd rush buildings or hallways they were in. Sometimes we'd lose one of us, but they die eventually and they die some more on their way back to the spawn point.

You can tell some pubbies cannot deal at all with being removed from their favorite camp points.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the way to play this game is in a 3+ man group. The matchmaking simply does not give a poo poo and throws stacks against rabble, and being able to coordinate and communicate is a huge boon.

And ultimately - while it's fun to pubstomp - that's what will kill the game. Not the lack of content.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the way to play this game is in a 3+ man group. The matchmaking simply does not give a poo poo and throws stacks against rabble, and being able to coordinate and communicate is a huge boon.

And ultimately - while it's fun to pubstomp - that's what will kill the game. Not the lack of content.

Yeah I can't really disagree with this. Tf2 has as much content as your average current gen shooter.

Problem is, as we've discussed, matchmaking is not the best. I heard someone say it was basically a formula the matches you against better players the more you win in a day. But there's no consistent lifetime skill matchmaking or something like that. So the matchmaking is hosed enough.

Also the smaller team games mean even three goon players means 50% or more of your team is cooperating. That's enough to keep the higher skilled players in check and even if your pubbie teammates suck, you'll keep the other team in check well enough for them to get a few kills here and there.

A goon team of three people in a huge game like Battlefield, it wouldn't be enough to pub stomp but they can have an influence. But with tf2, we can drive all of the pubstomp while pubbies ride our coattails.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I can't really disagree with this. Tf2 has as much content as your average current gen shooter.

Problem is, as we've discussed, matchmaking is not the best. I heard someone say it was basically a formula the matches you against better players the more you win in a day. But there's no consistent lifetime skill matchmaking or something like that. So the matchmaking is hosed enough.

Also the smaller team games mean even three goon players means 50% or more of your team is cooperating. That's enough to keep the higher skilled players in check and even if your pubbie teammates suck, you'll keep the other team in check well enough for them to get a few kills here and there.

A goon team of three people in a huge game like Battlefield, it wouldn't be enough to pub stomp but they can have an influence. But with tf2, we can drive all of the pubstomp while pubbies ride our coattails.

I play solo attrition a lot on ps4 and it really feels like the matchmaking finds 2 people that are of a high skill level and puts them on either team. There is almost always 1 person per team that has 100+ points and everyone else is sub 60. That is unless it decides to dump me into inprogress matches every single time for an hour or more.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I honestly don't care if I win or lose as long as my team isn't actively holding me back. I know that sounds kind of dickish, but I'm not even that good and if I'm 3 minutes into a match and down 30-150, and I open the leaderboards and realize I have 6 kills and the other 5 people on my team have 2 kills combined, I'm out. Losing a match is one thing, but watching the entire rest of my team feed the opponents points by dying 3-at-a-time over and over again is just annoying and not fun at all.
I don't even mind getting stomped out by a team with 1 really insane player - it's frustrating to keep dying to that player, but at least it's not due to other players on my team actively making life easier for the opposing team by dying so often that they get 3 titans out before our team even has one.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

soggybagel posted:

Shout out to Wazzit for inviting me into a group today. Apologies for sucking and also not having an operational mic.

Good games all around! Feel free to join up anytime!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Severedseven posted:

I play solo attrition a lot on ps4 and it really feels like the matchmaking finds 2 people that are of a high skill level and puts them on either team. There is almost always 1 person per team that has 100+ points and everyone else is sub 60. That is unless it decides to dump me into inprogress matches every single time for an hour or more.

It absolutely does, it only matches at the team level (and I'm actually kinda unsure about this when it comes to pre-partied players - I kinda get the feeling it matches on "these 3 guys are grouped, vs these 3 guys that are grouped"). The problem being this system puts low-skill players in the role of punching bags on each team and calls it even - and people don't generally like being turned into a punching bag.

Edit: "low skill" meaning they are lower skill than the average player in the current game, not as an absolute value.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 9, 2017

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Ineffiable posted:

Had a ton of fun yesterday. I'm really bad at the game but coordinating with goons makes it so much easier.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There's still a lot of middling to average players on PC (I'm one of them!) but scores to end up having one player either side who is basically immortal and the rest of them at their mercy. Hope this game has a surge in popularity like Rainbow Six Siege did because this game really deserves it.

Also, Softball gurus, how do I use this thing? it seems pretty much only good at clearing the NPC mobs, same with the Cold War?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Flipswitch posted:

Also, Softball gurus, how do I use this thing? it seems pretty much only good at clearing the NPC mobs, same with the Cold War?

Get above your targets. The more mobile and airborne your opponent is, the less advantage these guns give you (NPCs being the ultimate ground-bound slowpokes means they really take it on the chin) and they become quite difficult to use against fast, wall-running/airborne opponents.

Softball is probably the more viable of the two although my heart lies with the 'War. Also I consider it a basic requirement to run Phase Shift with Cold War, it simply doesn't work in PvP otherwise.

Edit: My preferred Cold War loadout is:

Cold War + Extra Ammo and Fast Reload (two required mods, basically - it has a ludicrous base reload time and tiny ammo box on the base gun - you need these to make it viable)
Charge Rifle with Fast Switch and Extra Ammo: Cold War tickles Titans and is lousy at hurting them, Charge Rifle actually hurts them AND is a good pocket Sniper Rifle if you see someone camping
Phase Shift
Frag Grenades (they pair well with Phase Shift) but Arc Grenades also work as it slows people down to eat a burst from the 'War. However I found Frag Grenades could get me more kills
Low Profile (BUT some Cold War guys swear by Hover)
Battery

Zip around the map as much as you can, get above people, kill them at short to medium range. Use Phase Shift if caught at close range to escape, when you need to reload, or whenever. If you enjoy high mobility and a challenge this is a fun loadout without being too cheesy.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 9, 2017

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light

Flipswitch posted:

There's still a lot of middling to average players on PC (I'm one of them!) but scores to end up having one player either side who is basically immortal and the rest of them at their mercy. Hope this game has a surge in popularity like Rainbow Six Siege did because this game really deserves it.

I stick to only using the Softball and the Sidewinder on maps with a lot of indoor sections. With medium to low ceilings and a lot of blind corners or choke points there's less room for them to move. I pair it with the pulse blade and tactikill on the gun. Throw the knife, know exactly where people are and use them like a SMG and have another blade ready quickly.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I have a new love: The Double Take. It's stupid, but I love it, and when my opposition makes me feel too sweaty to use it, I can always switch to the Alternator. Both barrels, always!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Double Take owns as a semi auto ironsight rifle, can cap dudes pretty sharpish with it, I run a Mozambique for corridors and it's pretty awesome.

Thanks for Cold War feedback guys, I'll try that kit out! I haven't used the first Grenadier weapon so I'll have to give that a go at some point.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Again, I gotta stress this with the Cold War (or any Grenadier skill weapon): when the big dogs show up and the masters of mobility come out to play, you should switch to something else. It's purely for PUG funnin (although I CAN see some use for Grenadier weapons in super-coordinated Bounty Hunt teams with a dedicated farming guy)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I always give props to anyone who manages to kill me more than twice in a match with the Softball. Cold War gets props if they're really kicking rear end with it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

It absolutely does, it only matches at the team level (and I'm actually kinda unsure about this when it comes to pre-partied players - I kinda get the feeling it matches on "these 3 guys are grouped, vs these 3 guys that are grouped"). The problem being this system puts low-skill players in the role of punching bags on each team and calls it even - and people don't generally like being turned into a punching bag.

Edit: "low skill" meaning they are lower skill than the average player in the current game, not as an absolute value.

Yeah and that's the thing, this game cab make you feel like a punching bag so much more than other games. Highly skilled players will literally run and phase shift in circles around a lower skilled guy. It can feel unfair.

And it was great playing with you rad valter, I think we all had our good and bad times but overall we did well. I never once though for a minute any of us was doing loving terrible. Just sometimes you don't know where the enemy is and they get a few lucky snipes on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Again, I gotta stress this with the Cold War (or any Grenadier skill weapon): when the big dogs show up and the masters of mobility come out to play, you should switch to something else. It's purely for PUG funnin (although I CAN see some use for Grenadier weapons in super-coordinated Bounty Hunt teams with a dedicated farming guy)

I ran into a guy who was a god with the EPG though, probably an ex-Quake pro.