Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

NESguerilla posted:

I am sexually attracted to scorch

Here's a little money shot for you then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieBovqvzXmE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This game looks good in trailers, usually smooth with a lot going on, but whenever I see actual gameplay it just looks cluttered with loving text and icons and notifications. It's a real turnoff.

Speakin' of turnoff, you'll be able to remove pieces of the HUD in the final game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Psion posted:

Tone has the 40mm and an Itano circus attack? wrap it up, everyone, we've found the best titan

Tone Loc

Tone Lock...

checks out

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Ion's energy meter is on the left side of the screen btw.

Anyway here's Legion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAAyHn58KPw

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's the hype trailer for Northstar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I-UtUX4NCE

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Here's the hype trailer you've been waiting for: Tone

https://youtu.be/gwe1ZnYPgrY

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Angel City pre-order bonus is access to the map 3 days early, which is probably a weekend.

Don't pre-order games.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TBH the Smart Pistol should probably be considered a boost. RIP auto-headshotting people with it at the start of the match, but good for game balance, since if you have a Smart Pistol the other guy now has a chance at Amped weapons or Ticks (lol) or whatever their other boost is.

The game is going to do fine, there's going to be a player base. Don't worry.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

So there's going to be PRIME titans with extra voices and different executions.

I guess we know why they go third person now. Gotta show off those dollars.

Edit: The directional indicator is probably a step too far with the Smart Pistol. I'm not opposed to the "you're being locked on" in general but this is real bad unless the lock-on time is significantly shorter. No real reason not to use an Amped SMG and hip-fire laser the crap out of unaware people - they'll be dead before they can react anyway.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 7, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

NESguerilla posted:

As someone who is far from the top, but perfectly competent at aiming in video games, I think the focus on "who can aim the cursor duh best" and the misguided machismo that surrounds it is stupid as gently caress and I'm kind of sad I'm going to miss out on the legendary ridiculous auto aim pistol in its purest form since I didn't play TF1.

The conversation around it is really over-heated and you're hearing from the saltiest of the salty dogs about it. It really wasn't all that, it was an original idea that had some good points and bad points. I agree that it definitely wasn't very fun to suddenly die to some dude behind you but it's not much fun to be one-shot sniped or shotgunned, either. It was an interesting concept that could have been refined a bit better but instead they've apparently decided to stake it. Oh well.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

On one hand, they definitely made Titans squishier and more vulnerable to chip damage.

On the other hand, rodeo isn't a death sentence without smoke or the 50/50 confrontation, and you have a healing option.

So win some, lose some.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Knifegrab posted:

It's a much better change that further encourages team work and makes more builds viable other than electric smoke and cluster missile only.

The crying over the loss of "Titan Customization" is really surprising to me. Yeah it's fun to play around with loadouts but most of them were strictly inferior and gimmicky. I would rather have actual viable gimmicks.

RIP Quad Rocket, hopefully you will be back on the 7th downloadable Titan.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SUNKOS posted:

They've been sending out an interesting questionnaire to some tech test participants that's worded in a way that implies they know they hosed up majorly and they're trying to assess how badly it will affect the IP in general.

Link it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I've noticed no videos of the new Smart Pistol.

Cowards. :)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Knifegrab posted:

Its good game design to know what someone can do based on their appearance. Then you can fight them smart.

I agree with you in principle. My problem is that you're dead in about 1.5 seconds and most fights have a high level of commitment/ambush so I'm not sure how useful it is in practice.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I don't know, but I got that 1.5 seconds from a video about the original Titanfall.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Short Smart Pistol gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4t3Rdf9zjY

It looks like they've modified the lock-on so that the closer they are to the center of your screen, the faster you lock.

There's a sub-one second lock-on time in the video :getin:

(despite this, the player said he was only able to get three kills with it and didn't seem too impressed)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

IIRC, I remember the original impetus that lead to its design was that one of the casual developers was trying to ambush extremely good players, and unless he headshot them with his first bullet they would turn around and murder him. So the point was to make a weapon that if you got position on someone you could get a guaranteed kill.

But that's not how it worked in practice, so I guess the thinking was that bad players were still bad with it, only good players were truly scary with it, so let's embrace that. Would like to read an interview about their thoughts on the matter honestly.

I can see it being kind of an option if you are running a Grenadier or Sniper weapon.

Honestly you don't need a Smart Pistol if you have good matchmaking. Put the bad players with the bad players, let them goof off. It's only needed if you plan to have massive in-game skill differences.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 27, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

So it's you and Johnny Five trying to blow up the Death Star.

Ok.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

He'll be caught in a morality trap between objective 2 and objective 3.

Uphold the Mission....or Defend the Pilot.

Of course he's gonna do the right thing. Godspeed, BT (buddy titan)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Watch Polygon's Arthur Gies play Titanfall 2 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQCGVtk11EA

He's bad.

The cloak criticism really stands out to me because: cloak isn't very effective against non-titan opponents, you have killcams so that you know exactly where the sniper is standing, you have more mobility and speed than in most FPSes, and 2/3rds of the Sniper Rifles have travel time.

The thing that both FrothyOmen and GameSager (two higher tier TF players) said was bad was Amped Wall with the DRM, it's a 2-shot hitscan kill and it can be tough. But this means that the sniper is locked down in front of a big orange wall which is both a visual indicator and a serious disadvantage.

So look at the ham-handed play above and realize that the dude plays the game like Call of Duty with other scrubs. He's not qualified to talk about poo poo.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well I don't want to condemn Polygon as an outlet, they did hire the McElroy bros, but they also hired a guy who admitted to being a lousy father who used video games to babysit his kids and doesn't monitor what they do. And I'm not being uncharitable - that's what he said.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/12/7532863/video-games-parenting-no-bullshit

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mordja posted:

E: but the best was when they gave a Tropico game a bad score because the reviewer didn't like that playing as a Banana Republic dictator made him feel bad

The thing that's particularly amusing about this is that it's entirely possible to play as a decent leader who gives everyone free housing and high-school level education and isn't particularly corrupt. That's not even hard to accomplish, in the game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lemming posted:

Do you think bad players are drawn to reviewing games or does reviewing games make you somehow terrible at them

Well, it's the problem of working 2 jobs: you have to be a good writer, and good at video games. A rare mix of skills.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

One thing I really wish that outlets would consider is having 4 writers with different perspectives (i.e. a 20-something super hardcore, a tryhard gamerdad, a casual teen, etc) each write a couple of paragraphs on the multiplayer side of the game. So that way could get a nice cross-section of who the game appeals to and the hardcore people could call bullshit on the fallacies of the more casual players.

Sadly with the way these are reviewed now (flying people out to the junkets so there's no chance of pirating/source code leaks) makes this unmanageable.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

arbitrarily knocking numbers off review scores because they are oversenstive jack asses or are just terrible at the game is kinda sad

Disagree with the first part, agree with the second.

The real issue is that Polygon occasionally gets up their own rear end about being the site that was going to show that ~games have meaning~. They are insecure as hell about vidya games being taken seriously and it shows.

Most of the industry is enthusiast press at this point, I would rather get the straight scoop from you guys frankly.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 24, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

When I say "good at videogames" I mean "plays all the FPSs, is in the top 5% of skill at them" so that you could, for instance, go to a press junket, play a game for a couple of hours, and formulate effective strategies/counters based on the map and gameplay elements.

There's simply not enough time to do that across a bunch of genres, or write a bunch, etc. and still have an outside life. Not gonna happen. So what you get is Arthur "what's wallrunning?" Gies who stiffly jogs around the map getting killed while whining about sniper campers.

Edit: As much as I dislike him, Gies is a perfect good writer and gets across his ideas effectively.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

poo poo, they removed Scorch's ability to burn rodeoing pilots off his back with his fire shield.

I really liked that he was the only Titan you couldn't effectively rodeo and thought it was nice differentiation. Bummer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well, keep in mind under the old system you could still rodeo Scorch if he was in a fight with another Titan since he wasn't go to squat down and try to roast a bitch if he was being shot at.

There's that new perk that gives you two uses of Electric Smoke at the expense of a Dash...woof. Hard choices.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

fadam posted:

1060 for recommended specs, jeeeesus.

Everyone getting nervous about the PC specs, read this:

https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/pc-specs/

quote:

So, what does it mean when we say "minimum" or "recommended"? Since this is a variable standard across the entire industry I think it is important for me to detail the kind of experience you can hope to expect. In the past minimum specs were literally the minimum bar to launch the game - your experience once in the game was probably not going to be ideal. Our goal for minimum PC specs on Titanfall 2 is that you can play at a 1600x900 resolution with most details turned on and average around 60fps. We strongly believe that if you at least match the posted requirements you should have an excellent visual and gameplay experience playing the game, so don’t be alarmed if you boot it up and don’t need to turn all the settings to Low for playable framerates – our artists would actually like if you could see their work! Because of this you will probably be able to actually run the game on a lower-than-minimum spec PC, but the quality and performance won’t quite be ideal. For recommended PC specs we're aiming for details nearly maxed out, 1920x1080 resolution (2560x1440 is also very playable), and again an average of 60fps or higher. We chose the minimum specs with 60fps in mind for the pure gameplay benefits you get once at 60fps (and beyond!).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Four of the six Titans have shields, though. Just not auto-activating/recharging omni-directional health-bar shields.

That's a good thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Again: four of the six titans definitely have shields that regenerate.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

On the titan page, where the titans have abilities with names like Shield Wall, Gun Shield, Fire Shield, etc.

Like, in case it's not obvious: the designers moved the shields from a universal omni-directional always-on bodyshield with a short cooldown into a more skill-based Titan ability relying on tactics and positioning. I frankly like the idea.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 25, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You can see the Titans throw up their Vortex Shields and whatnot in every video. I don't know what to tell you.

They removed the omni-directional bodyshields, yes. That's not the same thing as "removing the Titans shields". I'm sorry that I didn't communicate that effectively.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

LMAO if being a pedantic idiot is a troll then I should probably move under a bridge.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

All good points I hope will be addressed in Titanfall 3: Now the Shields Have Titans

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FrostyOmen has said that there is AI in Attrition, Bounty Hunt, and "1 or 2 other modes" but doesn't remember which ones.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Insert name here posted:

Probably because Frothy didn't actually say that, it was just some other random dude in Frothy's AMA https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/594u3e/hi_rtitanfall_i_am_frothyomen_ama/d95m3v1/

Wow I am sucking poo poo at the video game posting today.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

black.lion posted:

So I played the first almost exclusively with a controller on PC, just because it made the movement easier - am I in the minority? Should I try to learn kb+m? Doesn't seem like this one will be quite so reliant on the twitch reflex headshot, I'm torn [natalie imbruglia]

Just have fun. Do whatever is fun. That GameSager guy is a holy terror and he plays with the controller. You will probably get better results with the M + KB but since the game supposedly matches you with players of your skill level it shouldn't really matter.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This is a very good game but the matchmaking seems...iffy.

I've gone against trios with pubbies, on a 5v5 that's a huge chunk of the enemy team coordinating. It basically means they win.

Most games have a couple of guys dominating and then 2 - 3 trash players on the team who are fodder. And it's not consistent. I play a game and I dominate, then next game it's completely different players that are very competitive and I get absolutely wrecked. I'm also getting games where I get completely murdered but play the objective, so I'm the team MVP despite getting my butthole turned inside-out the entire match.

90% of the matches are absolute blowouts for either side.

Hope this improves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TheLightPurges posted:

It should as noobs (like me) get back in the swing of things. This is one of those games where 1-2 competent people can just dominate.

But that's kinda the point, my friend. That the competent people should not be matched with the scrubs.

I mean I understand if it's late night and the pop count is low or it's your first couple hours and the system doesn't know your skill and so rotates you through a couple of different brackets. But I shouldn't see continuous blowouts with fodder players after a certain point...hoping that comes sooner rather than later.

Edit: Btw I like Homestead, the big open map. It's a change of pace and you can lurk around the two lanes on the side and snipe grunts and stuff if you haven't got your Titan. Crash Site is horrible and Complex is...complicated. I feel like it's got a lot of shortcuts and pilot mobility that I just haven't discovered.