Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I made a gfycat to accurately describe how I feel every time I pop my Smart Core to fight other titans
https://gfycat.com/HilariousHeavenlyAnura

E: Seriously the amount of random-rear end pilot kills you get while Smart Coring is hilarious

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Emron posted:

The Viper fight on Master loving SUCKS
I was dreading the hell out of this fight on my Master playthrough because of everyone complaining about it

Ended up dying once and finishing it on my second try. What I did was use Ion to laser snipe him then when he did his missile barrage switch to Ronin and dash while holding block (I had planned on Phase Shifting but since I kept using laser shot on cooldown PS was always on cooldown too).

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Volt is also hitscan, despite looking like it isn't, which is baffling because if it were projectile-based it would at least have one weakness.
Its weakness is that it's too fukkin' accurate in hip-fire so I keep dying because my aim is garbage whereas with the CAR, Alternator and R-201 the hip-fire spread helps me actually get hits :downs:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Lemming posted:

The softball grenade launcher is also fantastic for taking out AI if you hit them right when they come out of their pods. You can farm stuff early on absurdly quick. I think it gets worse as the round goes on since you aren't getting those pods if there are titans around, but early on it's great.
The drop pods drop all game, there's just less of them since you start getting poo poo like Reapers which don't come in pods

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Laser shot is so fun :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuRDb45opkE

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Mordja posted:

ABG. Always Be Goosing.

Are you using the crit=energy by the way?
Yeah I was using it in that vid. Right after that match I unlocked Grand Cannon though so I swapped to that. I haven't tried it yet but I suspect that it's probably not nearly as good as crits = energy (especially since you can shoot Reapers and get energy back with it) but it'll probably be more hilarious.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Nalin posted:

I miss the Titanfall 1 embark animations. That 3rd person thing Titanfall 2 does just doesn't feel the same...

Also I would love to have a bunch of TF1 maps converted over to TF2.
I miss all the animations being first person really. Executing/being executed in first person was loving awesome. That combined with the lack of friendly AI on modes other than Attrition I kinda feel like TF2's MP, despite being a better game overall, loses a lot of the charm the first game's MP had.

teh_Broseph posted:

And for some lore, here's a tale - In MP every now and again you could start a game in a titan with 100% uptime maphack and go like 40-0
100% maphack uptime you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_K1RHkOx14
Man, watching this video makes me cringe at how little I wall-run in it. In my defense I was getting back into the grove after not playing Titanfall in a long time. Also bring back accelerator chaingun on Stryder chassis thanks.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Crash Site not having an intro automatically makes it the worst map regardless of how bad some other maps can be :colbert:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

radintorov posted:

You still get notified of teammates death, while Kill Report shows where enemies have died.
It's not that useless since it can give you better advanced warning on where enemies are likely to come from, but Low Profile is definitely the best possible kit choice of the four avaiable.
I love hover because you either screw your opponent or screw yourself. I have it on a Spitfire/Archer loadout and while it's hilarious with the LMG I keep getting myself killed using the Archer while wallrunning and jumping and instinctively ADSing in the air, causing me to stop dead in the sights of the target titan usually.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Geight posted:

I occasionally see "Challenge completed" things pop-up, is there somewhere akin to the Barracks menu in COD where I can check those challenges out?
Whenever you enter a match you can hit esc and there'll be three challenges on the right. One of them will be "finish match", another will be "win match", and the third I keep reading is random but it's always "kill three enemies in one life" for me. Anyway finishing that last requirement is what gets you the "good performance" merit that you probably see sometimes.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Geight posted:

Well for example I got one like "finish first 10 times", which seems like more of a sort of career-level challenge rather than a match-based one. I didn't know about that three-challenge on the escape menu thing though, so that's still handy info!
Oh uh

Probably a patch or camo or something I guess? Probably check those pages cause I think those are the only sources of those career-level challenges.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 10, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Smart Pistol status:

Still good at the best thing it's used for (I ran over to the extraction and killed the last 2 pilots hiding out, take a guess who they were)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Best part is the guy who complained about me not being able to aim 1) mag-dumped at me during the entire lock-on and missed me and 2) here's him missing me with the 40mm while I'm loving hovering using the Archer, which is basically the easiest shot ever:

(no I have no clue why the dimensions from the VLC screen-cap are 1600x930)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Etrips posted:

No unlocks, however supposedly the campaign is pretty fun.
Pretty sure the SRS banner and the gold/fire versions of it unlock based on the collectible progress, since I didn't have them, took a break to grab all the campaign helmets, and then I suddenly had them.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

The starting AR and SMG are pretty drat good. Seems no one really bothers with LMGs or snipers
I rock the Spitfire cause I'm a rebel

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

s1ppycup posted:

The devotion is pretty amazing once you get used to the "spin-up". It's laser-accurate and has a super long effective range. It's the volt's big bro.
Yeah Devotion's real good too but I'm partial to the Spitfire due to the first game and also I tend to pick fights where the spin-up gets me killed.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I know it'll never happen but with all the direct and indirect nerfs to the Smart Pistol I honestly think they could make it a weapon you spawn with and not have it be an issue. With the lock indicator + direction, not being able to use an anti-titan weapon and the fact that Stalkers take like 4 shots and Reapers are immune I think it'd be fine* to have as a primary weapon that made you unable to take a secondary.

*Caveat: I thought the Smart Pistol was fine in the first game too

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Exposure posted:

It occurs to me, if electric smoke can stop static thermite damage (that is, if a titan has been hit by a firestar or presumably Scorch's thermite launcher, electric smoke will cleanse your titan of it), it should totally be able to interfere with locks from Tone's tracking rockets (or lock-ons in general, really.)
E Smoke already stops Archer locks, don't know if it affects Tone locks but I agree that it should.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

In Training posted:

I wish Boosts were just part of your loadout, there's no real reason that they're a completely separate menu item
They're a separate menu item because they're the only thing you can't change mid-game

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Elysiume posted:

I saw/heard that evacuating gets you almost as much experience as a win, but I'm not really finding anything that explains how experience is doled out.
Every time you level up a weapon, titan or faction you get +1 merit. Weapon XP is just based on getting pilot/titan kills/assists, giving you +1 bar per kill/assist. I'm not too sure on Titan XP but I think you get 1 bar upon calling in your titan, earning your core, and I think getting titan kills/assists. Factions you get XP for winning/extracting.

Every time you finish a in-match challenge you get +1 merit, and there are always 3 (finish match, win match, and a game mode specific one, Attrition for example is get 3 pilot kills without dying). The 3rd challenge is the one that gets you the "good performance" merit.

Extracting gets you a "Hot Zone Extract" merit, which is +1 and basically counts the game as a win (so you get +1 XP for your faction as well).

Once you get out of the first couple of levels it's 10 merits/level. So if I level up my Spitfire 2 times, my Archer 1 time, get my good performance merit and win the match I will get +6 merits towards my level.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 13, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Finally! I get to use my sweet rear end execution that I paid 300 funbux for!
https://gfycat.com/GenuineMammothImperatorangel
:mad: :salt: <--- me IRL

(Yes I know you're supposed to hold the button down, I guess I just didn't position myself properly)

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 13, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

chumbler posted:

I have only just now realized that the sniper rifles are not hit scan, and are thus complete trash.

Also this game desperately needs like any matchmaking at all, though honestly it already feels so dead that might be the killing blow, so I don't know what they should do.
DMR is hitscan, and the Kraber exists because it's satisfying as hell to nail someone with it, that rechamber animation/sound is boss as hell, and nailing titan crit spots does a reasonable amount of damage and you can do it from relative safety.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I've given them an honest attempt and I have no idea why sniper rifles are in this game.
Going back to quote this to say that the reason sniper rifles exist in this game is to goof off and do poo poo like this https://gfycat.com/ActiveUnhealthyChimneyswift

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Thanks to whoever said they get more kills with the charge rifle in Coliseum compared to the EPG. I got a ticket so I decided to try it and ended up getting this:

:feelsgood:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
You're not the first person to complain about pilot TTK being low compared to the first game and I sometimes wonder if I played the same Titanfall 1. I played the first game a bunch in the 2 weeks running up to Titanfall 2's release as sort of a send off and the pilot TTK is about the same in that you can zip someone real goddamn fast if you land your shots. The datamined stats for both games backs this up too, as even though they reduced pilot health to 100 (from 200), all the returning weapons have their damage halved or worse (notably the Spitfire's optimal damage went from 70, or a 3 shot kill, to 25, or a 4 shot kill), while most of the other stats have stayed the same. If anything, the TTK in Titanfall 2 is on average higher due to most weapons retaining far less damage at range compared to the first game*, and how weapons actually have a set distance where you can no longer get headshots.

*R-201 being a good example here, with the R-101C from Titanfall 1 going from 50 damage dropping down to 40 damage at range, whereas the R-201 in Titanfall 2 going from 25 damage, to 17 damage, and then finally to 10 damage at range (damage being steps in Titanfall 2 rather than dropping linearly like the first game).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Do damage boosts stack? I tried to run an amp shield and amped weapons boost with a charge laser and it seemed pretty effective. If I hit a critical spot it looked like it took a nice chunk out of a titan's health.
Amped weapons seem to be a set damage rather than a multiplier so I don't think they stack due to it basically being "is amped=1"

SilentW posted:

Be aware that you can't slidehop if you have auto-sprint turned on, and since it's so easy and gives you so much more speed, it seems a shame to deprive yourself of it.
You can slide hop just fine with auto-sprint

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I have 50 hours on the clock and have yet to see anyone aimbotting.
I think I've seen a total of 1 hacker so far and that's it

I think I've been accused of hacking more times than I've seen actual hacking

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Use the primary gun as a DPS filler between laser shots. If you hit crit spots with the shoulder laser it does a hefty chunk of damage, and the basic kit mod it comes with refills the bar with primary fire gun crits. The secondary fire is only ever worth it, in my opinion, to hit dodgy pilots if you aren't confident in your laser sniping. There may be other uses but it isn't very efficient.
I don't use it very often but after getting to G2 with Ion I'm going to argue that it's not as useless as everyone makes it out to be. The main thing I tend to use it for is when I need extra damage now and not in 5 or so seconds when my laser is up. So like say, a low HP Ronin is all up in my face and I need to get rid of him now and I'm sitting at zero energy. The main thing about it is that while it drains energy, it doesn't actually require it so you can use the laser twice, sit at 0 energy and jam out rounds forever and get the extra damage the whole time. It's still a very niche but I think it occasionally comes in handy.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

That's good to know. If you can make it work then don't let me put you down. I just remember being pretty disappointed on my first outing when I spotted a Ronin and dumped a whole bar of alt fire shots when all he had to do was walk directly towards me with his block up and beat me to death.
Yeah I can definitely see thinking that it's not all that great in that case. The Ronin sword block stops a surprising amount of damage and generally you're better off using the energy on the laser shot if you have half energy or more. Generally I always use the laser if I have the energy to do so, so if I have full energy it's always two laser blasts first, then depending on the situation I either try to peak and poke with the laser and regular splitter rifle shots (by the way I found out that you still get extra energy on crit hits without the Entagled Energy perk, just not as much) to wear them down, or if I'm in an out and out brawl where the only outcome is one of us dies then I'll probably swap to trying to jam my alt-fire splitter rifle into his crit spots at point blank before he can gently caress me up.

E: I should say that I'm mainly posting about the splitter's alt-fire because I don't want people to never try it at all after reading most people saying it's not so good. When and where to use it is something that you really just have to learn for yourself but I feel like it's a very situational but useful tool.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 17, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I decided I wanted to get the patch for getting the Double Take to level 20, a weapon I'm incredibly terrible with

Wish me luck

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I finally managed to get my Grand Theft Semi-Auto execution off on a pilot... only for a Tick to kill me half way through the animation :negative:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Use A-Wall and/or Amped Weapons, it makes the Double Take really fun!
Yeah my plan is to use A-Wall when I unlock it againoh I have it already :downs:, but until then I'm over here missing everyone and getting my rear end kicked. At least snipers only take 5 kills per level instead of 10 so I probably won't hate myself too much

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Ok A-Wall + Double Take status:

About 2 hours of using the Double Take and went from like level 3 to level 18 on it already. Snipers using secondary weapon level progression is pretty nice.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Apparently it's bugged at the moment and you're supposed to be able to destroy it from the front by shooting the base but you can't right now. I imagine it'll probably be less aggravating to deal with in a titan when you can just splash the shield to death but I'm gonna miss sitting behind the wall with a charge-hack Charge Rifle and just loving up every titan.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Eldragon posted:

I'm tempted to start playing "other" weapons just to get the cheap merits, Is there a sweet-spot level to work towards? e.g. "Get a lovely gun to level 10 then move on to another one".

I'm still just level 16 so most of the guns everyone raves about are still locked for me.
You want to get every weapon to at least level 4 or 5 because every level before that it takes less kills to level. You can see actually see by going to the menu where you select which weapon you want on a class and there should be some pips under each gun that show you how much more kills/assists you need to level up a gun. So for example take a gander at this screenshot:

Notice how both the EPG and Cold War are at level 1, and only have 3 pips under them, meaning I only need to get 3 kills or assists to level them up and get a merit. On the other hand, the SMR and Softball both have 10 pips with 2 filled in, 10 being the default amount for most primary weapons once you get to level 4 or 5 (the exception being sniper rifles, which use the secondary weapon curve and thus only require 5 kills to level once you get them up).

Mordja posted:

Yeah, Grenadier weapons are decent against Titans, although some people might just want to forego robot-hunting in favour of a backup gun to use on people. Especially filthy, rotten snipers.
Titan melee does 500 damage and the Kraber does 430 damage to titan weakspots so I totally don't need a dedicated anti-titan weapon ignore the fact that I consistently miss the weakspots and you have to hit them to actually deal damage

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Edit:. Anyway, how do people feel about the double take? Took it for a spin for a couple of games after the unlock and I don't hate it, but it really needs an amp. If you aren't a headshot machine it feels like the travel time and slower fire rate will get you killed if you're spotted.
Un-amped it feels like the worst of both worlds when compared to the Kraber and DMR but when you amp it it's pretty hilarious. DMR is honestly still better IMHO since it's hitscan with the same damage profile but I was getting quite a few kills with the Double Take even without amping it last night once I got into the groove of aiming it so it's fine if you want to use it.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Antoine Silvere posted:

shout out to the battlefield goons we just beat :smug:
V rude that you got carried by that Codeacious guy imho (I have no clue if he was in your party or not actually)

:mad:

At least I got this
https://gfycat.com/HelpfulSlimArgentinehornedfrog

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Antoine Silvere posted:

He was indeed in our party. We call him baby bjorn because he is always carrying our team

Also cut me some slack I was using the smr :mad:
If you can brag about stomping us while we had someone who literally was playing their very first match ever and never played the first game I can throw some shade your way for dying to me mister :mad:

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 19, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Mordja posted:

Question about the Mastiff: does it do more damage towards the middle of the crosshair or not? I've been finding it pretty inconsistent.
Only in the sense that you're more likely to hit all the projectiles. Each of the 8 projectiles it shoots does the same damage.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I just tried to use Scorch again

I'm still so bad at it :negative:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Yeah I've been trying to get levels to unlock the longer lasting shield perk but man is it slow going since I rarely get those titan kills/assists. On the bright side I'm getting tons of pips on my G2 because I spend so much time outside my titan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
I finally managed to get the Grand Theft Semi-Auto execution off on another player. I was so excited I wall ran and jumped straight into a nuclear ejection. :downs: