Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I had no idea Titanfall 2 was out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Okay, guess I'm going back to the Titans and Falls. Installing now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've managed to return to my hallowed position of "incredibly mediocre at Titanfall," and I'm just gawping at kids these days and their smooth moves. Nice to see the shotguns aren't as absurdly good as they were in the first game.

Anything you buy with meritbux sticks with you when regenning, right?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've come to terms with the fact that I'm just garbage at the game

Now, if only there were enough people on PC who were even worse than I am

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Is it just me or is the Spitfire kind of bad. I've seen the Devotion in killcams on me, I'm extremely jelly

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The best weapons for killing pilots were always the chain gun and the forty, and the chain gun isn't in multiplayer so

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I didn't even notice the lack of ziplines.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Are those tips "play with goons?"

Do I need to get in on the discords

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Night Blade posted:

I've yet to have a nuke eject work on me. Is there some sort of secret in doing this well that all of the people who play against me don't do? It's so easy to see coming. I ask because I want to mess around with Ronin this weekend.

I don't know if anybody specifically builds tactics around the nuke eject, either the guys around you screw up and you get a free titan refresh or they don't and you carry on as normal.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Went from unprestiged level 40-something to G3 thanks to the double xp weekend.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Is the weekend continuing through today due to the holiday? I hope so as I did not get any time to shoot mans due to said holiday.

It was still going on a little while ago but it might end soon, the 2xp weekend was originally supposed to end Christmas morning but they changed their minds and extended it a day. I forget the actual ingame tooltip, but it might be until 9AM PST?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also, this morning I ran into NotChrisPratt.

He was actually quite friendly and, even though he's not Chris Pratt, I enjoyed the experience of meeting him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, the solution to Vortex Shield is always to just stop shooting for a second and save your ammo. Ion's Laser Shot actually deals a decent chunk of damage and it draws from the same resource as Ion's shield and mines so if they've got their shield up while you're not shooting, they're draining their energy for no benefit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Considering how many times I've had Laser Shots and Charge Lasers blocked by vortex shields and flame shields, I've always assumed yes.

e: on the blocking. Reflecting I'm pretty sure is only a bullets-and-missiles thing.

Runa fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 29, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Spitfire is pretty terrible. The L-Star is forgettable and I don't think the energy projectiles move fast enough to matter at most ranges. The Devotion melts faces as it gets more accurate and fires faster the longer you hold down the trigger, meaning it's possible to use it both ADS'd at range and fired from the hip up close.

The Devotion and Volt SMG shoot the same quick blue energy bolts so they're not hitscan weapons but the bolts fly fast enough that you'll usually be able to hit what you're aiming at unless you're trying to hit a very nimble player at a great distance. And they're both extremely high accuracy, low-recoil weapons. On my second Gen I bought them to permanently unlock them and don't regret it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Imagined posted:

They're both hitscan, the blue tracers are purely cosmetic.

I could be wrong on the Volt (which is good because it's my go-to gun) but I'd need to do some tests on the Devotion again, because on Kodai I could've sworn I swung my full-accuracy fire at a stationary spectre and it took a second for the bolts to land.

Good to see that the Tifa1 Chain Gun hitscan-with-cosmetic-bullet effect is still in play though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Imagined posted:

Maybe they're OP in the hands of someone good, but I need that handicap OK.

:same:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

quite stretched out posted:

i've not actually tried it but apparently this is also a thing with ion which seems somewhat hilarious given how devastating reflected legion bullets are

https://i.imgur.com/ztv7hz3.gifv

Oh my god

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wazzit posted:

This guy's sacrifice. :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vgn1pjbYlw

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I never get super frustrated about melee because whenever guns fail and it all comes down to melee, either one of us dies too quickly for me to register any problems with the situation or I'm too busy laughing at how awkwardly me and the other guy are dancing around each other. When that happens it's a total yakety sax moment and I appreciate that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kelp Me! posted:

phase shift is how dogs see the world all the time :tinfoil:

We must develop our olfactory senses to keep up

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's actually really surprising how much stronger the shoulder laser is compared to the splitter rifle.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I get the feeling that gunrunner is a bit like having training wheels for go-fast shooting until you get better at shooting while sliding, wallrunning, and zooming around at the speed of sound.

Granted, the skill ceiling is high enough that it could be a while till you can reliably zip around doing slide-shots and crazy grapple shenanigans so having an extra bit of insurance couldn't hurt too much.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I use auto-sprint so Gunrunner is a must for SMG/LMGs

I can't blame you, but after a while I only used sprinting as a means to build up speed to slide, and slides and wallruns were my main method of getting around ever since someone else phrased it that basically, sliding and wallrunning are a bit like having free Gunrunner, except you sprint even faster and can more easily get into the air above people.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

idk how you can run any SMG without gunrunner

I am curious though. I remember COD had a significant penalty to accuracy if you shot while sprinting. Whether you were still sprinting (using gunrunner) or sprinting then slowed down to shoot sans gunrunner. Wonder if it's implemented in this game cause I have auto sprint on

On PC at least, I mostly get by with using the momentum from wallruns and slides and you can shoot while doing either, though it took a few matches into getting the hang of using LCtrl/Crouch while running as a replacement for the old CoD "ADS now" reflex. I consistently ranked in top3 in a lot of late night West Coast games well before the population got that Christmas shot in the arm, though the guys above me were usually fabulous flying trapeze Grapplemen or phase shift mindgame savants.

That said, I also made pretty heavy use of the Volt since my actual aim is bad-twitchy enough that I need the reliability of a nearly recoilless gun to make up for my dulling reflexes. I could probably survive with the R97 but I'm willing to take a hit to damage and fire rate to have that absurd accuracy. Considering how many Volt players there are, it's not an uncommon sentiment.

Also I don't think there is much of a penalty to shooting from the hip in this game. I've not noticed any with the Volt or Devotion.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been fooled by Holo Pilot exactly twice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As a TF1 vet I really don't know how those maps would interact with TF2's toolset, especially since a number of them made heavy use of ziplines. Or in these parts of the woods, extremely predictable grapple trajectories.

Lagoon simply wouldn't work with Tone and Northstar and it would feel like a weird mashup of Crash Site's crampedness and Homestead's wide open space. Smuggler's Cove would be pretty cool but it funnels pretty hard into a central bridge without leaving many alternate routes the way that TF2's Boomtown and Blackwater Canal do, unless you really fancied taking a long walk out in the bay. Airbase would be interesting but I feel like Forwardbase Kodai has the verticality of that map without all the cramped funneling. The concept behind Outpost 207 (small map with a lot of buildings) is basically done by Exoplanet but it could work, at least for variety's sake, but Exoplanet differs in that there's a central building that makes titan engagements circle around it while Outpost 207 is, again, pretty heavy on funneling action into a hot spot. Boneyard and Relic are visually interesting, though, and I wouldn't mind seeing them again. My most unlikely 40mm Gooser kill was made on Boneyard from across the map, long long ago when I played with goons on PC. Good times.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

All in all I do prefer Titanfall 2's maps, I just wish there were more of them. They seem to be more solidly made, even if most of them don't quite match the weird creativity of some of the TF1 maps. In concept, not design.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's basically no reason not to use nuke eject. Which is the perennial problem.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also, Nuke Eject doesn't have a lot of competition for its slot. Maybe Turbo Engine if you're running Scorch or Legion, or Overcore if you're feeling spicy and have a core duration extender for Ion or Legion. But Assault Chip? Extra Smoke?

None of thpse options give you the chance, however slim depending on the map, to both wipe out the people who took you down and give you the ability to call down a second titan by the time you hit the ground.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He must be pretty small time if he got tilted that easily.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blind Duke posted:

The first one was clearly the Alternator you can't fool me

Glad to see you're on the ball but uh

Wazzit posted:

If I'm playing Complex or Forward Base I use the alternator and for Crash and Angel City I use the G2 because I know what kind of engagements I'm going to get into.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Titanfall 2 didn't bomb but it's not making Battlefield-level money. Respawn's worried that mid-tier sales performance won't be good enough for EA and EA is, well, EA.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It was how you played games on the PSP too. Like monster hunter or mgs peace walker.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

*shudders*

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

friend-o, don't mock the northstar-o

http://i.imgur.com/pn51ShM.gifv

that split-second of horror when he turns around to look at the cluster missile killing him

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would've preferred all melee to automatically be executions, even if it makes no sense.

Especially if it makes no sense.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

The economy is pretty good though. But I think the problem is video games are considered a hobby for lower and middle class. You know, the ones where wages haven't increased proportionally in the last 20 years or so.

Yeah, if we're talking about America, the economy nationwide is actually pretty solid and has been for a couple years now. It's places like the Midwest that never recovered from the Great Recession, due in no small part to China undercutting the steel industry so severely.

If you wanted to see wages keep up with inflation and reasonable raises, though? rip

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rynex posted:

So I heard there was a guy with a 100+ winstreak on coliseum, and finally got to play him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayy_UTT4eRI

Dude's a fraud. He's dropping from the games between the last replay and the ceremony.

Thanks for the games with PC Goons tonight, was good fun :)

I kill you, I'm bettah. You kill me, I exploit a bug and get the loss wiped from my record, so I'm still bettah

Odds are the guy's probably flattered you bothered to record him doing it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Back in TF1 you got had to learn to goose with the 40mm

Some of us got absurdly good at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ordnance Expert gave him that luck