Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Bought Titanfall 1 for when it was on sale for ten bucks, got 90 hours of fun out of it. Definitely getting in on this day 1. Hopefully you can give your Titans sick custom paint jobs.

Also the lightning sword Titan in the trailer owns, I guess it wasn't in the MP demo that goons tried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Antoine Silvere posted:

No sword Titan available to play unfortunately, but like Wazzit said the video they were playing while waiting in line showed Titan customization.

Are Titans locked into their weapons and secondaries, or can you mix and match like in Titanfall 1? From what I've read it seems like they're trying to give the Titans more distinctive personalities, but I hope that's not at the expense of customization.

quote:

Is... is that pilot a robot with two fox tails hanging off of its head? :crossarms:

I'm a big fan of the Oscar Pistorius feet too. Tangentially related: I hope playing as a Spectre is a permanent perk this time around rather than a burn card.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 15, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Peewi posted:

The website mentions your appearance depending on your ability and shows a spectre for the grapple. The trailer shows a woman using grapple, so maybe it's a free choice this time?

Nice! No idea why a robot would want to wear a shemagh, but I love it :3:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I'm hoping for more weapons. I get that they want every weapon to fill a specific niche and avoid the Call of Duty "Here are ten different but essentially identical assault rifles" but I dunno, I kinda like using the playstyle I'm best at, while still having something else to look at filling up the bottom-right corner of the screen for a while.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Also, for the love of god, a smaller install size please. Didn't the first one have something like 30 gigs of uncompressed sound files, most of which was dialogue in five or six different languages? At least give us the option of saying "No, I'm only ever going to play this in English (or whatever) stop filling up my HD with useless crap."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I remember Halo Reach had an ability almost exactly like it. I didn't play much of the multiplayer, did people still fall for it after the game had been out for a while?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

My hope is that the campaign ends up killing the main character (it's the dudes who made Modern Warfare, it's not like they haven't done it before) but your consciousness gets transferred to Keffiyehbot and you play as him for the rest of the game. Titanfall 3 becomes a robot buddy cop movie.

I mean, tell me this dude doesn't deserve his own game:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Be sure to include his Davy Crockett double raccoon hat steez:

EDIT: Also, deets on the Ronin: http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/titans/

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Respawn: please let me high-five the dropship robot as I jump out, thanks.

Antoine Silvere posted:

Forgot about that intro, that was cool. Too bad the only other special intro like that was for that one DLC map that was supposed to be a virtual training ground.

That map had a lot of cool touches, like how when you killed someone they disappeared in a flash of light.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

Here's another brief glimpse of the single-player campaign:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBIoScqqbQU

What that a missile-shooting jetpack I see? Like I think I said before, this is the same team who made the good Modern Warfares, so they know how to piece together an exciting, if not terribly logical, single-player campaign.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: Keffiyehbot is not the only playable robot, there is a second playable robot :siren:

Giant Bomb has 80 minutes or so of gameplay here, the second robot shows up at around 45:00 or so. It's bright red and a bit more slender/feminine-looking. There's also a dude with a belt cape and a badass Techmarine servo-arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0hJrOQgF2A

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Aug 18, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Terrain should be deformable by titans crashing through buildings too

This is a bad idea, because if buildings are destroyable it leaves pilots nothing to hide behind or wallrun on and seriously skews the game in favor of Titans.

EDIT: Seconding what an above poster said, this specifically ISN'T a robot game, it's an evenly-split arena FPS and robot game. Like, that's its entire reason for existence. It's not Call of Duty or Mechwarrior, it's Titanfall.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 20, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Digirat posted:

The problem with low TTK and fast respawns isn't that it encourages camping, it's that it turns most engagements into a matter of someone just shooting another in the back, or milliseconds-long engagements where there is absolutely no time for anything but raw reflexes to play a part. It makes the differences between weapons matter less when everything needs an incredibly few number of shots to kill, makes fights generally not come down to skill at all but instead come down to whoever happened to end up behind the other player, and it makes the times when you are both shooting at each other at the same time be incredibly short-lived.

It's ultimately a matter of preference, but to me the disadvantages far outweigh whatever advantages an ultra-low TTK supposedly has.

That's why the Titan half of the game exists.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Antoine Silvere posted:

Smdh if you don't main the hanzo steel titan

Not emptyquoting. Although Legion's finisher of impaling a Titan by shooting his way through it is making a pretty strong case. :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

So is appearance not linked to pilot ability anymore? In one of those video the dude was using the grapple, but he definitely wasn't the ScarfSpectre.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I want Ronin to poke me with its sword.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Wow do those maps feel empty without all the grunts.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

My favorite Polygon article is the one where the author stopped playing Shadow of Mordor literally five minutes in to fart out a 1,500-word hot take about how the "kiss wife" quicktime event was bound to the same key as the stealth kill.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

runchild posted:

I'm reasonably certain AI only appears in those two modes. Frothy must have been having a brain fart if he said that.

Welp, guess I'm playing only those two modes then. :sigh: Has there been any talk of Frontier Defense 2.0?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

What kind of customization is there for pilots? Is your appearance still tied to your abilities?

EDIT: does the male/female option still exist?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 27, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I have absolutely no problem with microtransactions as long as they're purely cosmetic and you actually buy the thing you want instead of just more random chances to get it (looking at you, Mass Effect 3). I may even throw down a few bucks myself for a fancier Spectre scarf.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

GMG why couldn't you have sent the codes an hour earlier, I wanted to get the download started before I left for work. :sigh:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Someone upthread mentioned that even the robot characters have "male"/"female" options... what's the difference, exactly?

insert robot dick joke here

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

I took some screenshots:

There are, in fact, robotits.

Dudebot's got a scarf and a sweet knapsack though. Decisions....

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Aw man, are suppressors not a thing anymore? :eng99:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The new AI bots in Attrition are a lot of fun, and I dig that you can use your fancy third-person execution on Grunts as well as players. Please add bots to the other game modes, especially Hardpoint.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The Alternator is such a silly weapon and I love it. I like to imagine it was in-universe designed by a spiteful lefty to ensure that no matter what hand you used you'd get hot brass ejected right into your face. :allears:

Insert name here posted:

Still fun as gently caress though; glad they put Attrition back into the game cause lol if I'm ever playing another mode (at least in their current, AI-less state)

:same:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Deakul posted:

But, is it just me or can you not like... jump at all with a titan? I've had so many moments where I feel I should've been able to just jump over something to get the drop on some mooks but I end up just walking around.

Northstar's ultimate can fly, but other than that, no.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

widespread posted:

is Stim a worthy replacement for Grappling Hook?

Stim is a robot. Grappling hook is not a robot. Therefore, Stim. :awesomelon:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Fuligin posted:

The maps kind of suck and suffer from three-path-itis, but at least the new ones will all be free. And the first to come up is a redone Angel City so that's cool.

If they bring back Training Ground, Fracture and Outpost 207 I will be one happy dude.

Please don't bring back Lagoon unless they fix the framerate issues.

EDIT: Also Wargames loving owned, if not that then at least make a map with the same training sim gimmick.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hot drat, THAT is how you make a single-player FPS campaign. You could make an entire game out of the time-travel gimmick. I liked how when you killed someone in the past their corpse showed up in the present all bloated and rotten.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Is matchmaking taking a dump for everyone right now? The progress bar keeps switching between "found 12/12" and "creating match."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Antoine Silvere posted:

Seconding this, you get two codes, a dew and Doritos code and then a titanfall 2 special code that gives you a banner ("the shocker")

My email only mentions the shocker, do I have to have already bought some Dew for the execution? I'd check myself but Titanfall.com is giving me a 500 error.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Celery Jello posted:

I hate to ask a second time but I can't find a "Titanfall Goons" network so did the network not get named that in the end, or what?

Search for the LLJK tag, it should pop up.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

It depends who you are punching but as a general rule of thumb it can be helpful. With the exception of ronin and MAYBE scorch you probably never want to be that close to another titan anyway but the punch will deal decent damage and it also knocks the enemy titan back (which can be useful to get a ronin with sword core out of your face).

I got three executions in one life with Ronin a few hours ago and I still feel like the biggest loving badass. RULES OF NATURE! :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Does the "pop smoke + back into a wall + look up" trick still work on rodeos? In T1 you could trap the pilot between the wall and your gun and almost guarantee a kill.

veni veni veni posted:

Ronin is such a goddamn badass I can't bring myself to use the rest of the titans.

:yeah:

Legion is pretty loving sweet too though. His execution lifts the enemy into the air with the tip of his chaingun and shoots through until it's completely impaled. :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah BT uploaded part of himself to Jack's helmet during the time travel mission so they could communicate across timelines. Begs the question of why it isn't standard practice for ALL Titan AIs to copy and upload themselves to some sort of central server or cloud all the time instead of just keeping their data in the one place where it's most likely to be destroyed...

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

RatHat posted:

So what boost do you guys like the most?

The anti-infantry turret absolutely mows down Grunts and sometimes gets a cheeky kill on a Pilot or two. It's fun to stick it in a major traffic lane and watch it go to work.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Carecat posted:

The anti titan turret on the other hand is a complete piece of crap. It does do damage, it just has the life expectancy of a gnat.

I wonder how much of that is the turret genuinely being weak, or its targets just having a way greater capacity to survive the first shots and return fire. It's not supposed to kill Titans all on its lonesome, but apart from other Titans themselves nothing is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I would bet money on Frontier Defense returning at some point, especially now that they have all the new AI bots like Reapers and Stalkers.