Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Missed titanfall 1 but this is looking really good. Unfortunately behind the spectacle it looks like it's yet another game with incredibly low TTK, frequent instakills and shooting people in the back a lot, which I used to have the patience for but kinda don't anymore. What was titanfall 1 like by comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What if I want to play as the robot and romance the human

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oh man these people sure are narrating the thing that's happening on the screen, oh wow someone killed someone, I didn't know that

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why on earth are they releasing this so close to battlefield? EA owns both and could set better release dates

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Watching streams of this and it basically looks like COD with more mobility options, whenever the mechs aren't involved. People just run around corners and shoot each other in the back with near-instant TTK, the only visible difference here being that it happens from above sometimes due to the vertical mobility. But nothing seems to differentiate the basic gameplay from "instakilling people from outside their field of view". Repeat until match is over. Hooray?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The problem with low TTK and fast respawns isn't that it encourages camping, it's that it turns most engagements into a matter of someone just shooting another in the back, or milliseconds-long engagements where there is absolutely no time for anything but raw reflexes to play a part. It makes the differences between weapons matter less when everything needs an incredibly few number of shots to kill, makes fights generally not come down to skill at all but instead come down to whoever happened to end up behind the other player, and it makes the times when you are both shooting at each other at the same time be incredibly short-lived.

It's ultimately a matter of preference, but to me the disadvantages far outweigh whatever advantages an ultra-low TTK supposedly has.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

I agree if someone gets the drop on me they definitely should not be able to just kill me despite clearly having the advantage :downs:

So anytime you see someone else from an angle, it should be guaranteed that you win and not them, no matter how good they are? Even though the person who shoots the other one in the back often did nothing at all to get in that position, it's just how the game spawned them?

"Having the advantage" in terms of angle shouldn't be the one and only thing that decides who wins, and very often in fast paced COD-style games, whether or not you get the angle on someone usually has nothing to do with your skill. When you combine it with fast respawns and accurate weapons, games quickly devolve into people just charging around and shooting each other in the back over and over. It makes the gameplay repetitive, thoughtless, and boring. In rainbow 6 siege figuring out how to get the angle on someone is part of the whole strategy of the game, and all the other mechanics of the game as well as its pacing contribute to it as a strategic element, so it makes sense there. In a COD-style shooter, it just means you got lucky.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lemming posted:

It is very encouraging that they are responding to player feedback. I can't think of another time where there was a "beta" like this and there were any actual changes between it and release.

Payday 2 had some really big changes between the start of its beta and release

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I just finished the fantastic press Q to time travel levels. This game's campaign is really great so far

Am I ready for frontier defense or are there other mechanics/important skills to learn that don't come up until later?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I have never left with a worse taste in my mouth for a genre than the weekend I tried to get into MOBAS. A genre for insane people.

yeah. My friend tried DOTA 2 a few years ago and I started trying to learn it to play with him. Horrible experience and I regret all the time I wasted learning it. He quit shortly after I did.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is tone good in coop

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wow the coop mode is very fun. If there's a TF3 hopefully it launches with coop because that's what earned my purchase

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there no expedition or brute titan outside of the campaign. Seems odd

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You get reverse telefragged if you ronin phase shift into a titan? :stare:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tone does not feel very powerful despite being able to get double marks and in a very wide radius compared to SP, but the thing just prints support points for no work at all

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's the best perk for tone in FD? Most of the titans seem to have ones I can write off but all of tone's seem really good. Double sonar has been working best for me so far

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Haha I think these AI titans are not so smart and then a scorch just turns around and airshots me from 20 meters away as I'm going for a rodeo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Scorches do seem to be able to hit me way more accurately than anything else. It feels like they were just given perfect accuracy since it matters less than any other titan if a scorch has perfect accuracy. Which is true, but I'm not sure they should be able to make the trick shots they do so often. One time I used flight core in front of two of them so that there was no longer an obstruction between us, and they burned my health from 75% to doomed in less than a second. I haven't even gone above regular difficulty so I'm assuming everything's accuracy is only going to get better from here

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What are good things to buy with credits in FD?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I should have said "for" FD, I mean for stuff you unlock early

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are there any new maps for FD? I heard there would be but don't see a mention of one in the patch (that one at the top seems to be for competitive)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Got a chance to play angel city. It has a pretty intense first wave where the theme is "4+ squads of mortar stalkers at a time" who set up all over the map on rooftops. I was very glad I happened to have double take and grappling hook equipped. Wave 4 is pretty similar except with mortar titans. I'm really not sure where you want to put turrets on that map.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there any value to the magnetic grenade launcher in FD? It seems like garbage compared to the charge rifle.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have never seen my ping go above 45 playing FD. It's incredibly stable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It doesn't look like there is a minimap on insane based on the last few minutes of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmrZBiLyhE

e: After one of them casually drops that monarch has the lowest winrate on hard, I would really like to see the rest of their stats on winrate etc

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When smart core is running does it matter which mode you're in?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've gotten a chance to play all of them, exoplanet 4 times and the others once, and enjoyed all of them. However besides the two gimmick waves on angel city (mortar stalker and mortar titans) it felt like the design kind of pushed all the enemy titans into a big wad at that one street intersection, or else to the left of it in a big line on the very edge of the map, which is kind of awkward. I imagine it's a scorch's dream but I would not want to be scorch on the mortar titan wave.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tone is my jam.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

How do you ronin well without taking lots of damage and having to go through titans regularly? With every other titan I can go 3 if not the full 4 entire waves without losing my titan, but ronin taking damage from just about every titan you fight seems completely unavoidable. Definitely the best mortar hunter but it feels like it unavoidably leaves you on foot for longer than anything else, which I'm not sure is a good tradeoff.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That's my problem with ion, it's fun but the fact that its best damage uses the same energy as its abilities means that I don't feel much reason to use any of them, unless I'm laser sniping a cloak drone or whatever

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Y'all moved onto Destiny 2 now or what? SHAMEFUL.

some teams make it hard to find the motivation for another game.

After wave 1, two of them readied up without even looking at the store.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Siege is very cool but the barrier to entry is extremely high at this point. I couldn't get into it because I could tell it would be a huge amount of work to get on equal footing with the players who have hundreds of hours and know every detail of every map by heart. I also either somehow ran into the worst vertical slice of its players or the community is garbage, worse than when I played call of duty which should be an easy bar to clear.

If you can overcome the barrier to entry I can tell it's a great game (my brother loves it) but it won't be easy

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So this means no more FD maps?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm playing FD regularly

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have to regenerate 8 times to get the solid pink scorch camo? poo poo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

EA suits three years from now:

:thunk: we need to find a good time to release our future shooter for maximum buzz while keeping the pressure on activision...but just when in the year could we do that without smothering it behind more well known releases in the same category for the third time...oh! That three week window between Call of Duty Futureshoot 8 and Battlefield 2143 is perfect!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Origin means they aren't paying valve 30% of every PC sale, that doesn't sound like a mistake to me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

Man, sucks that nobody is playing this dying game, and never will again after it dies. But hey, at least EA got 30% more for each sale!

From august 22:

quote:

Since the release of Monarch’s Reign in May, we’ve seen our playerbase increase every month. Currently we have over a million players across all platforms each month playing multiplayer, and we’re expecting August to be our biggest month of 2017.
The average time spent per player is currently the highest it’s been in the last 6 months.
Since the launch of Frontier Defense and Titanfall 2 being added to the Vault for EA access members and the release of Ultimate Edition, we’ve seen average daily active users increase by nearly 50% in the last month.

I'm having no problem finding FD games on PC myself. But most multiplayer games have populations that are thinning out pretty fast by a year after release so TF2 did start emptying out fast after that blog post then it wouldn't even be unique in the slightest. You're also treating TF2 as a solely PC game when the majority of target consumers actually aren't on PC and therefore aren't affected by origin in the slightest, and you're blindly ignoring other factors in its success such as how EA decided to release this lesser-known shooter right next to call of duty and battlefield.

What a flimsy-rear end post.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

It's awesome that you crawl out of the woodwork with this bullshit when someone insults Origin, but not with all the other posters saying things like

Good news, guys, our game isn't dying! It's the biggest it's ever been! It's so big, the matchmaking is having trouble getting all these players into games, and all future content updates are cancelled!

You might be right about consoles, I have no idea, it might be bigger there, and it's just a ghost town on PC, but they've still stopped updating, and they're not about to move into DLC that isn't just robot skins. As for timing, it wasn't great, but I came over from the other games, because it was clear that the gameplay sucked for BF and COD this cycle for whatever reason*, and Titanfall 2 is clearly the better game.

*The reason is because they make too many of them.

I'm very sorry I didn't respond to each of those posts because that matters to you for reasons unclear (I've already said in the past that I'm not having trouble finding games and I don't know what platform or modes they're playing, so what do you even want me to say to them). you're still ignoring everything I said without actually giving any reasons why origin has somehow caused the game to "die" besides the fact that you don't like it, as if this is a PC only game, as if it isn't already a year old, as if this happens to every origin game when it absolutely doesn't, and as if there are no other factors that could matter such as the terrible time EA chose to release the game. You've just made this nonsensical connection in your head and convinced yourself it was the truth, and you're ignoring everything else to continue believing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You should prove origin is to blame because you're the one saying it is :wtc: