Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Insert name here posted:

Having mobs of AI running around was one of my favourite parts of Titanfall 1 and if they severely cut down on that I'm gonna be real disappointed :(

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah honestly feels like they screwed almost everything thing up that made the first one enjoyable, worst parts though are the lowered TTK which makes playing as a Pilot really unpleasant(and why I haven't bothered with a COD game since Black Ops 1), and pretty much every single change they've made to Titans, all of which feel incredibly unnecessary

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Night Blade posted:

Oh man, come on Respawn. How do you gently caress this up so bad?

After a couple hours to think it over, it's not really that bad actually, but it's definitely still got enough issues that they honestly should delay the game at this point to fix things up

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

I don't have the first one as a frame of reference, but at least I'd say most of the problems are tweaks that should be made and not core flaws, other than the two maps we got not having enough opportunities for wall running (which was disappointing). I still had a lot of fun with it. The shooting is great. I'm still feeling very inclined to pick it up come October.

The shooting is the opposite of great, the TTK is way too drat low, it encourages a lot of the behaviors that have made the COD games completely unfun since Black Ops 1

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

In Training posted:

The last two CODs were a lot of fun and this feels like that with a grappling hook and robots. Although the new COD also has a grappling hook.

I heavily disagree, Black Ops 3 came with my PS4 and it was more of the same bullcrap that's kept me away from the franchise since the first Black Ops

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

That's why the Titan half of the game exists.

And the Titan half is terrible here, so it's all terrible

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lemming posted:

Well, if you played TF1 on a PC and are playing this on a console, that might explain some of the weird feel

I played the console version of TF1, and it still feels incredibly off

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MrBond posted:

One of the devs said on twitter the client build isn't changing because it would have to go through certification. Mid-June build is all we're getting this weekend.

edit: http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-successes/

Given that titanfall 1 had some launch load issues I'm ok with this being primarily testing around the dedicated servers.

Well weekend two is probably going to be a ghost town then

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if EA intentionally sabotaged this game's development in some sort of "Springtime For Hitler" scheme, I mean it is much more likely that this is just because of them being idiots and using focus groups when it's pretty obvious at this point that all focus groups do is ruin any games they are used on

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SUNKOS posted:

The removal of the latter is particularly strange because I remember that being one of the most impressive things from the initial gameplay reveal of the original game. People went nuts when they saw the player eject from their titan and land on the back of another one, rip the hatch off and start firing into it. One of the only times I've heard an E3 crowd cheer that wasn't a Zelda announcement. I thought the interplay between pilots and titans was really cool with the rodeo mechanic as well and just hopping on to pull out a battery before hopping off again in the sequel isn't as fun or rewarding for either player. On its own it's not that big of a deal I guess, but there's so many cool things like that which are missing that it really starts to add up when you look at what's been lost. Getting to wield swords is awesome though, even if I wish we could do it with a Stryder and the dash core ability for maximum fuckery.

I'm honestly more annoyed by them removing Titans having built in shields for that retarded battery mechanic, overall the Titans in 2 feel like a straight downgrade compared to the first game's Titans in pretty much every way

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well finally got to play thanks to Gamefly, and while the single player was fun(except for Viper), the multiplayer is still in my opinion an unenjoyable mess(indeed it's somehow worse than the beta was, even with the addition of Attrition) especially with the ridiculously low TTK in both Pilot and Titan aspects of play

Still stand by my opinion that pretty much every change they made between games was both completely unnecessary and robbed it of being any fun as a multiplayer experience, really makes me glad I didn't buy it, would have been a huge waste of my money

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Senethro posted:

Is it even possible to play a game this fast on a streaming service...?

Wasn't streaming it, got a disc for the PS4 version

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FiestaNinja posted:

Titans having much more HP would make pilots a lot less fun, as it stands if you're quick and use your anti-titan weapon well you can stand a decent chance as long as you aren't directly engaging them. Higher titan HP/regen would also make coming back from the enemy team getting titans first much harder, making the already somewhat present steamrolling problem even more acute.

Somehow toning down Tone would probably extend the lifespan of all titans more than an HP buff.

The problem is that currently Titans have such low health it's almost impossible to use them in any amount of effectiveness, as the moment anyone sees you you're going to lose at least half your health cause Titans are sluggish piles of cardboard compared to the first game(not to mention the weapons are on average worse than their TF1 equivalents)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I could have sworn you were supposed to be able to use all the loadouts for BT after you beat the game if you play through it again, was I mistaken or did I accidentally erase my progress or something(cause I beat the game when I last played it about a year ago)?

Also multiplayer outside of Frontier Defense still sucks compared to TF1 in my opinion(Titans not starting with a shield by default and shields not being able to recharge is still an incredibly retarded idea, makes Titans feel pathetic compared to how they were in the first game, there if you were good at using a Titan you could last the entire game using just one)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The idea that Disney makes money by being competent is 100% bullshit. They make money by owning your childhood and paying people to figure out the most profitable ways to sell it back to you. Their actual internals are petty office politics and low-grade people scrambling to cover for their boss's fuckups, same as every place else.

The thing is Disney is competent most of the time, can't get as big as them without it, the thing is it makes their moments of incompetence stand out more(indeed I'd argue that's the case for most successful companies)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Really hope if we get a third game they bring Titan durability back more towards how it was in the first game, it's kinda pathetic how fragile they are in 2, I think a good way to help fix this issue would be to have Shields be on by default and have them regenerate like in 1, have batteries be for repairing health and adding Core meter instead

Also Anti-Titan weapons need to be severely nerfed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kinda funny how none of you have a counter argument beyond saying no or trying to tell me to "get good"*

*which in my opinion immediately invalidates any argument a person has even if they otherwise might have had a point

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning the only specific change for Titan durability I suggested was making Shields work more like how they did in 1(and the story mode for 2), which I think would be fair, although it would mean Monarch would need changing(assuming all the Titans from 2 make it into 3)

As for anti Titan weapons I'll admit I should have been more specific, and meant Archers specifically, as they're just a touch too strong(although Charge Rifles could probably use some adjusting too)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I imagine they'll largely keep themed titans around, but that they'll give each one its own unique core upgrade tree like Monarch has. Monarch feels like a calculated experiment to me.

I just hope they change it so Core upgrades stick across Titans, kinda annoying that it gets reset if you lose your titan(especially in Frontier Defense)

Also I think we can all agree that Titan crouching is pretty pointless overall and they could probably have O/B be used for another Titan ability weapon instead(maybe give each Titan a dedicated anti-personnel ability besides Electric Smoke)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 24, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

PSN: DrRockso_20

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I just hope for Titanfall 3 they'll make shields work like in 1 again

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I just prefer shields that recharge on their own, makes Titans have more survivability

Also I'd rebalance anti Titan weaponry for pilots, with Shields being more prominent, most anti Titan weapons would either;

Be good against Shields, but mediocre against their actual health(Charge Laser would be a good example of this in this system)

Be good against Armor, but mediocre against Shields(Archer is an example of this)

And some weapons while only average in damage output wouldn't be particularly hampered by either Armor or Shields(that magnetic grenade launcher)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly this just leads to people not actually ever getting inside their titans, but just leaving them on follow mode all the time. The devs acknowledged this fact and deliberately changed the system for a reason, because it's more fun in TF2 and promotes map knowledge, zoning, and team play with titan team combos.

How does Titans having rechargeable shields lead to that?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Data on their end demonstrated that people for the most part didn't pilot their titans in TF1, but rather left them on auto. When your titan takes permanent damage the motivation is to use it more consciously and strategically. Many streamers have commented on this.

Maybe have the shields only recharge while being piloted then

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I could maybe get down with that

It even matches with established auto Titan behavior, since they aren't as effective as a piloted one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Then what's the motivation to not just hop in long enough for a charge? Imo the battery system in TF2 is pretty perfect. It offers all sorts of opportunity to look out for your team, be greedy, be ballsy, get revenge etc.... It's really good. I never played TF1, but recharging shields sounds boring.

Obviously there would be a delay of some sort

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ularg posted:

> Spawn in Titan
> Exit Titan
> Use Battery
> Enter Titan without hitting the ground

If no one has the muscle memory of this down I don't believe you really "Played" Titanfall 2.

Honestly I prefer to summon the titan on foot, then activate the battery after it lands then hop in, feels less likely for something to go horribly wrong

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ularg posted:

If I have a chance to summon a titan while I'm already spawned it that means I haven't pushed the enemy teams poo poo in enough.

I tend to just go ham in pilot mode until I die then switch to Titan mode for the rest of the game when the other team starts getting them. Being a lone titan that isn't a ronin kinda sucks. So I usually use my titan only to fight other titans (it sounds dumb and obvious, I know, I just don't specifically try to farm pilot kills with an early drop)

I'm usually just in such a flow that I don't remember to use my titan until I have to stop, which is usually death.

But when I doooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGlKgf9rt48

I usually get in my Titan as soon as possible because while I'm decent as a pilot, I'm much better in a Titan, plus by the time enemy Titans start showing up, if I'm without one it doesn't take very long to get another one, especially since I almost always use that ability that increases how much meter you get for hitting with anti Titan weaponry

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I tried to play this last night and got the absolute poo poo kicked out of me for 2 hours.

Last on every leaderboard, tryhard people with Pro Displays in the 6000s running around getting 40+ kills on Attrition and just merc'ing everyone and everything. Lost every game and again I must stress I was dead last and contributing nearly nothing, we're talking 1:5 k/d ratios here.

It was actually a terrible experience so I wouldn't recommend people of average skill get back into the game, it's functionally dead in my experience. Only the dedicated remain.

If you're good like Wazzit and company, yeah this game still has a ton of life in it. Got a game every 2 minutes, too bad about the quality of 'em

PC or Console, cause I imagine it would be harder to pick it up on PC

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Console, and I already had picked it up. My guy was Gen 5 and change, so it was very disheartening to see that it was almost 100% super-harddcore players on a Friday night.

Maybe it's because Red Dead and CoD siphoned off the casuals? I hope so. Would like to play again someday.

Weird, I haven't run into too many hardcore players since I reinstalled a couple days ago, maybe you just got really unlucky?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Frontier Defense is great, but it definitely has some balance issues they need to sort out for 3, like the fact that waves with a significant amount of drones in them end up being way harder than they should be(since about half of the Titans in the game suck at dealing with them), also that difficulty doesn't scale down if you have less than 4 players(which means if you lose someone you're probably going to lose)

Also honestly I feel they tuned the difficulty for that mode in general a lot higher than it needed to be, like even Easy is kinda hard

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

limited posted:

They already played that card. They made some sort of weird instantly forgettable semi-MOBA thing that ran like garbage.

Honestly Titanfall could be made to fit the MOBA mold with relatively minimal changes to the standard gameplay, at least for the Titan parts of the game, admittedly it would take some work to get the Pilot parts to fit properly

But then again I was one of those people who really liked Battleborn and would love to see more FPS/MOBA hybrids

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

FD felt pretty MOBA to me

Really hope they fix Frontier Defense for the next game, cause as fun as it can be, it has some major issues too

Titanfall 2 already has MOBA elements, it just has the good elements rather than the lovely ones

Mind clarifying what you think are the good MOBA elements and which are the bad ones?

Guillermus posted:

Please do not launch it in between Battlefield and CoD this time. A summer AAA release would own.

Agreed should definitely be a Spring or Summer release instead of a Fall or Winter one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aaand any interest I had in it is dead.

Agreed

ZeusCannon posted:

Yeah Titans in BR would be hilarious

Honestly it would have been more interesting for this to have been Titans only rather than Pilots only if we had to choose between the two

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

all moot points imo everyone in here seems fine with BR and just pissed at the lack of TF elements in something called TF

Exactly

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Why does EA keep doing that to it's studios anyways?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gunder posted:

It was interesting to note that, according to Giant Bomb, Respawn started with titans and the other core Titanfall aspects being present in their game, and then removed them later because they were too tricky to balance. I can easily see this being the case.

Worrying about balance prior to launch is in my opinion a really dumb thing to worry about in an online game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FastestGunAlive posted:

I’m glad apex is hitting it big and it’s got some great concepts. Just don’t bring that aesthetic/lore/whatever over into the main titanfall games.

Presumably Titanfall 3 will be set not too long after the events of 2, while Apex Legends is set like 30 years after Titanfall 2, so shouldn't be too hard to keep them relatively distinct, though it would be neat to see some of the abilities of the AL characters make it over to TF3

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

brb, reinstalling haha just kidding unlike you rubes I never uninstalled because Titanfall 2 is good

I only did for space reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly the only real issue I had with Apex Legends is that for the most part the actual gunplay is just plain horrid, not only in comparison with Titanfall, but with basically every other Battle Royale game I've tried so far