Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

So, I'm sorta in the same boat and want to diversify my skill base. When I first started I sorta instinctually gravitated towards Stim/Alternator because I loved the mobility so much and moving at breakneck speed across a map, diving through a window, mowing down a pilot and dashing away was such a rush. It was later that I found out that I was basically playing a meta build, but because I was actually pretty decent at the game, I quickly found myself matching against other killers and could never really go back without absolutely falling off the leaderboard and that just felt like I was letting my friends and team down.

Fast forward to now. New age, new player wave, new me. I wanna finally learn the Kraber because I am a loving masochist. The thing feels SO inconsistent and it's really hard to watch a kill cam where the tracers whizz past my opponent's head when I felt like they should have hit. Any tips on getting better with this thing? I can get some really good flick shots and quick scopes occasionally and my mobility doesn't feel super slow (less than with the Alternator, but still), but I just feel like a true understanding of the gun is eluding me. I figure it all just comes with major grinding to really get good, and my loadout is the quick scope and reload speed combo, but beyond that, I don't really know how to practice outside of just hitting rematch over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Yeah, originally I figured the Kraber was just a basic sniper rifle and wasn't really interested, but after reading some guides and watching videos I started to see that the engagement range of the thing is actually more akin to an assault rifle. Most of the really good players who main it are engaging at mid range and either quick scoping or snap shooting because the TTK is essentially instant if you hit the first shot. After seeing that and trying it myself, I really started to fall in love with the gun and that unique way to play it. When I am on, I'm getting into firefights in mid range engagements that favor me over the CAR users and getting first or second shot kills that feel SO MUCH MORE SATISFYING than the Stim/Alt gameplay. It's just frustrating because the rifle actually has some variance in its accuracy (60/100 which is really bizarre for a sniper rifle, especially one with a projectile with travel time and drop) which seems to mean sometimes you will miss shots that you should have hit or get kills you might have missed. Once I started running and gunning with it, my perspective on the thing changed completely and now I'm determined to master it. It's just tough with so little info online about it in TF2.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm bottomfragging pretty hard but having a lot of fun on the 66% of matches that aren't "clan deathball kills you instantly" dumpster fires.

For the amount of people that are supposedly online I'm seeing a lot of the same names showing up in my games again and again, a bit worrisome.

It really is frustrating/weird. I expect there's SOME match making algorithm in the background SOMEWHERE but whipsawing back and forth between stomp and be stomped is annoying. I know the game is older, but it's weird to see a game without seemingly any semblance of rank system for placement.

And yes, whatever the match making system is definitely seems to enjoy placing the same players in matches together repeatedly.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Arbite posted:

What happened to amped hardpoint?

Dude, seriously. It's my favorite game type. If they just killed it, I'll be sad.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

I swear if they just release a new Apex skin that's modeled after BT or some poo poo I'll commit sudoku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

EA and ruining the gaming industry every chance it gets.

Name a more iconic duo.