Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
I'm on PC, I've been playing frontier defence because I'm a noob scrub at PVP. It's still a shitload of fun, and I'm glad I've picked it back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

EA corporate can just go die in a fire somewhere.

I have a friend at Respawn, they had most of the pre-production on TF3 complete. What a waste of resources and a great IP.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Does the takeover kick out Bobby Kotic? Because if so, I'll take it. That guy is the worst offender

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Not according to my friend who works there. It was a corporate decision, not a developer decision. Respawn had a lot of work done. Including some very early content, playable proof of concept stuff, story, character and design elements consistent with a project in pre-production. It was a non-insignificant amount of work. The studio wanted to put the game out, the corporate purse strings didn't want to continue the project.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

What he's talking about is the initial pivot away from TF3 to Apex Legends when Legends was building up, and TF2 had just finished. This was definitely a thing, and resources were pulled and TF3 was shelved around 2019-2020

I'm talking about the TF3 project that was in active development up until a few months ago, which was an entirely new project compared to what this guy was working on. My friend was pulled from Apex to work on the new TF3 project. Literally he came into the office and was told to archive everything and shut it down when he had been going full blast on the project the day before.

Your guy left Respawn in January 2022 (according to LinkedIn). My friend still works there (they even know eachother). I'm going to trust the opinion of someone who was actively working on the project that was just cancelled a couple months ago compared to someone who left the company a year ago.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

The gist that I got from my friend was that you were a new character who discovers and goes about rebuilding BT. You would collect and assemble different parts to open up new kits for him to use.

Closer to TF2 in gameplay was the impression I got, but obviously inspired by what they learned from Apex and current game design practices.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

I don't know what the old TF3 was going to be before they dropped it for Apex. But the new one was supposed to be a proper sequel, with a proper full SP campaign, not some Apex tie-in or spinoff thing, but a continuation of TF2.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

acksplode posted:

The other dev's story was that the old TF3 was going to be a straight sequel to TF2, but they were more interested in doing something totally different with more potential than an incrementally better sequel. Why would they voluntarily scrap a project like that and then start it back up? These accounts aren't lining up.

https://www.ign.com/articles/respawn-worked-on-titanfall-3-for-10-months-before-pivoting-to-apex-legends-ex-dev-reveals

Because the project my friend was working on started after that guy left the company. They were different games.

I don't have any insight into the game that was TF3 and was abandoned for Apex. That's the game that guy was around for and worked on.

The project my friend was working on was picked up on and started development months after that guy left the company. So I wouldn't put his opinion on what the recently cancelled project was, because he likely had little to no connection to it.

Also, the game my friend was working on was not announced, and was not public in any way shape or form, so there would have been no public communication or even a *hint* that they were working on it until they would have announced its development. So someone like Vince saying "we'd like to do something but it's not in the cards" is exactly what he would say if they had a full blown demo with no public announcement of the project.

I know I'm sounding like that guy who "Has an uncle at Nintendo" but I assure you, TF3 was in development from 2022 until January this year.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

:nws::nws:

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Jimmeeee posted:

Monarch is such boring design compared to the other Titans. The others all have distinct strengths and weaknesses and the Monarch is just pretty good at everything.

Because batteries are loving delicious

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

EA just slashed 5% of their workforce.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/ea-cutting-5-of-workforce

My buddy on the inside said they cancelled a bunch of stuff, but this one (and the earlier Titanfall sequel) really hurt to see axed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Insider friend says that this here is 100% accurate:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1b37c9p/comment/ksqfeaa/