Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I'm wondering if the bone crew will stick with bone or go to PC or PS4. Gonna be way harder to figure out which platform everyone is using :(

Do people still play TF1? I played one game on xbone the other day and was /awful/ all over again. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Sure, but you also want the grunts there to quickly wind down your titan timer.

I always thought of attrition as the normal team deathmatch mode, and the player counts seemed to bear that out. I vastly preferred hardpoint though for some reason.

SUNKOS posted:

You can use the slide to maintain some speed and momentum between moves when there's no walls around.

Apparently the Bounty Hunt mode is replacing Attrition. Hopefully the team at Respawn see how much everyone hates it and bring back Attrition, but they may have paid too much attention to the people who never played the original game and complained about all the AI enemies in the levels. I was hoping that we'd see more of that stuff in the sequel (where are the turrets to capture?) and not less. I've no idea why they're pushing the Pilot vs. Pilot mode either.

Is pilot vs pilot just deathmatch free for all, no teams and no AI grunts? That sounds like they're chasing the battlefield/COD crowd that complained about the AI grunts :(

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Night Blade posted:

Oh man, come on Respawn. How do you gently caress this up so bad?

I'm hoping that a lot of the changes we're seeing are test-build only. TTK and weapon balance can be adjusted before launch, and titan and pilot unlocks can be unhidden if they're not present.

One of the maps feels huge and harder to wall run in. You can, but it feels much harder to chain them together and I'm often finding myself exposed on a rooftop with a lot of ground between me and the next building, and not necessarily something easy to grapple to.

Bounty mode doesn't seem as fun as attrition either :(

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

After a couple hours to think it over, it's not really that bad actually, but it's definitely still got enough issues that they honestly should delay the game at this point to fix things up

I am really hoping that the pre-alpha text is super serious. For a game called titanfall the time it takes to get a titan feels extremely slow. I don't think I saw any AI bots in amped hardpoint and thus it took excruciatingly long to even get one. I just played a match where there were maybe 2 titans ever on the map out of all 12 players? Makes me wonder if they've even attempted game balance yet.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Titans have been massively nerfed in this game, nobody really knows why seeing as the game is named after them but you're not alone in wondering what the point of them even is. They've gone from being highly customizable and fast-moving machines of death to slow and lumbering crutches with little survivability. The first game had a perfect balance between titans and pilots but this game has shifted the balance towards the pilots, even with movement being screwed up and map design being atrocious and counter-intuitive to the wall running mechanics.

Yeah that part is weird to me. It used to be crushing and punching a pilot was really easy in a titan. Yesterday I couldn't even crush a spectre by walking over it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I remain cautiously optimistic. A dev is on twitter saying this build branched in June so it's very plausible lots of other changes are happening on their dev tree.

https://twitter.com/jonshiring/status/766786972522209280

Worst case I'll cancel my preorder and wait for real reviews, which is probably the right thing to do with every game anyway.

Edit: https://twitter.com/jonshiring/status/766744067577307136

MrBond fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 20, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Lemming posted:

On Twitter one of the devs said that the titan spawn rate on hardpoint was not good for whatever reason (dunno if it's because they just tweaked it bad or there was a bug or whatever) and that they'd fix it

Yeah they hotfixed it on Sunday. It was basically pilot vs pilot hardpoint in the first 2 days.

Was there much of a timer at all in bounty hunt? It felt like the only way to get a titan was kills - no more 120s timer or whatever it was. With the reduced AI that meant way less titans in a match AFAICT. My %age meter filled so slowly :(

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Lemming posted:

Hopefully the blog post is accompanied by a patch because people explaining why they made decisions that are boring and unfun and how they aren't going to change anything usually don't go over too well

One of the devs said on twitter the client build isn't changing because it would have to go through certification. Mid-June build is all we're getting this weekend.

edit: http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-successes/

quote:

Given the way game certification works and the timelines involved, the Tech Test was from a June snapshot of our game, and some of the feedback and issues fans noticed this weekend have been fixed in our game for weeks or months now. In addition, the full game has a lot more Tactical abilities, weapons, unlocks, customization, Titans, and maps than the Tech Test build does, and that slimmed-down view of the game for a Tech Test can be its own challenge for balancing and learning curve reasons. More on that later - the designers are going next with their own blog update - this is focused on the engineering goal of the Tech Test.

Given that titanfall 1 had some launch load issues I'm ok with this being primarily testing around the dedicated servers.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 23, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

They're using the Microsoft Azure servers again, as well as a few other services which do the same thing as well, so they still have access to the cloud computing that powered the AI in the first game. They could solely be using it for dedicated servers this time round however, rather than dedicated servers & AI like the first game.

There really is a lot of atmosphere missing from the game however that isn't just relegated to the AI grunts & spectres. I also miss the capturable AI turrets (and being able to use the hacking knife on spectres) and the huge battles that occurred in the levels (lots of dogfighting ships in the sky and the giant laser firing up to take out a battleship in Outpost 207) as well as all the alien wildlife such as the flying creatures in Boneyard and the huge dinosaurs on the perimeter of Airbase. That combined with all the radio chatter and constant dropships flying in to spawn more AI grunts and drop pods unleashing spectres was really cool.

I guess at the end of the day though, it's really down to personal preference. I really enjoy chaotic gameplay, but it seems there's a lot of people out there who prefer much slower gameplay where there's less going on. My personal hopes for Titanfall 2 before we found out the details was that they'd actually ramp things up rather than scale them down, like maybe bumping up from 6v6 to 8v8 and adding even more AI into the levels so there's some insane battles going on.

No they're using some other network for their dedicated servers. I don't think they offloaded any AI to azure either so I don't think that's not a factor. That was more of a microsoft pipe dream to illustrate some kind of advantage over PSN.

I was somehow decent at titanfall 1 and am really bad at hitting my targets in titanfall 2 on xbox :(

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

What's the preferred network for xbone goons?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Is there something about the R201 that I'm missing? I feel like its TTK and range is worse than every other gun and I just lose firefights all the time.

Maybe I'm just terrible :sigh:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Is there a chat room or irc y'all use to party up on xbone or is it just send messages and stuff?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I got inspired by Wazzit and I'm starting to like Ion again:

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I got so very lucky with this one

MrBond fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 14, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Is it just me or is there something buggy with the spawn system? I just played a game of drydock where the other team (party of 5 + 1) managed to keep our spawn to a corner of the map and then camped us for minutes.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Mailer posted:

The spawn system has always been awful and you get locked down a lot. If people have figured out the exact points to utilize it, though...

I really didn't need another reason to macro quitting and jumping back in the queue. :/

If I understand the icons right it looked like a party of 5 and there was definitely some coordination going on. :(

Given that I'm the second person to mention spawn camping on this page I'm guessing someone on the internet has figured out how to rig that.

Elysiume posted:

I'll be shocked if they don't release the chaingun and quad rocket on new chassis. I really want to check both out.

Chaingun was my favorite from the first game. Its appearance in the campaign makes me hopeful for its reappearance though, since it's clearly already been designed and in the game.

I imagine the free DLC has a minimum for what they've already planned out and the variable is only however many copies they've sold. Given how many times I've seen it on sale though I'm not super hopeful on its sales numbers :\

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I got really into Ion once I saw from this thread how awesome it was to laser kill ejecting pilots with it, but then they tweaked Ion slightly in a patch and it felt like they made it way harder to do that :( My xbox skills are not good enough to easily nail that :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I used to play on xbox but re-downloaded it now that it's free on PS+ and oh man is it still great. Plus with all the new players the player populations are like a relaunch - 27000 on a Friday night, and if my match was any indication most of them are not very good. I just hope they stick around.