Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
It's so drat obvious the robot is going to die for cheap drama, but you'll find his AI chip or something so they can stick him in a new body for Titanfall 3.

On my wishlist is taking Titanfall's gameplay, then sticking it on Battlefield sized teams and maps. :fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Knifegrab posted:

I don't understand why people aren't excited for this game (all the lines for other games were considerably longer than titan fall).
I'd guess Respawn and EA are trying to snag the folks who are fed up with CoD.

Infinite Warfare is still going to sell as well as ever, but I'm hoping they don't gently caress this up with microtransations or something equally stupid. It's definitely a chance to put a dent in Activision's numbers. Especially with the remaster bullshittery that's got most fans unhappy already.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Knifegrab posted:

Probably a good idea to say now, don't pre-order. Maybe this game will be like TF1 and will be a blast on PC and will run like a dream. But in case its poo poo don't get burned. No sense in pre-ordering till we know its solid. And as someone who helped lead the charge in TF1 may god be merciful and give us another great titan fall.
Might as well strip out the Titanfall references and replace them with basically any game this year.

Except for Last Guardian. That's been in development hell for so long, there's no doubt it's going to be poo poo.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

PriorMarcus posted:

Given the negative reactions I feel like only running the beta at weekends is a mistake. I won't get to go back and give it a second try so my negative reaction will have to stick around until reviews come in.
Running it longer is probably risky. Even if it's got I'M A ALPHA LOL all over it, playing it for longer will fix any faults in people's heads, and possibly turn them off buying. They were likely trying to snag people who were on the fence as well as test out stuff. Plus weekends tend to be the busiest anyway, because of people playing because they aren't at work / school / etc.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Knifegrab posted:

It'd be awesome if a game had teeth and let us die, like the ending to BF4 should have done.
Maybe the twist on the Titanfall franchise is like the whole Warhammer 40k thing. Die in combat? Here. let us put you in a GIANT ROBOT.

To be fair, it would be a good excuse why the Titans have personalities now. They're dead pilots who had their brain scanned or whatever. :stare:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Holy poo poo, a recently released game that doesn't have a 10GB+ day one patch before it doesn't run like poo poo. Or run at all. :monocle:

I'm honestly rooting for Respawn at this point. I'll admit I won't be too surprised if they end up charging for DLC, but I'd probably still buy it.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Daztek posted:

I just had a match in which I was able to use 3 Smart Cores with one titan, that's wasn't very smart of the opposing team :cool:
I love games like that. Pyro cores with Scorch are hilarious. Pubbies thinking Legion is so great with all that extra HP and gun shield, then they cluster up and- :supaburn:

Nobody seems to have mentioned it yet in the thread, you can change your Titan loadout at any time during Campaign, but your abilities share a cooldown unfortunately.

My personal favorite is tossing out Scorch canisters, lighting them up with his ability, then switching to another loadout with a better primary to keep firing to do some deliciously disgusting damage, or at least make the AI dodge and run like crazy.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Wazzit posted:

This pilot execution was worth the 300 credits. :allears:
Talking of credits, are they just for early / cosmetic unlocks? Or do you get to keep whatever you spend them on through prestige / regeneration permanently? I'm hesitant to spend mine. :ohdear:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, Scorch and Ion both seem like support Titans to me, Legion and Ronin aggro, Northstar and Tone are griefers.
Scorch is definitely a support, and a counter for the Reapers in late-match. Primary explodes them, and the abilities melt them in seconds too. That means you get your core, which leads to melting other Titans.

To be honest, I think the main reason he's so slow is that if he moved any faster, it would be too easy to ambush enemy Titans, and catch them in the traps-firewall combo. It never gets old though, watching panic-smoke while a group desperately tries to work out where all the damage is coming from. :allears: Always worth taking a longer route around the main scrum.

BabelFish posted:

Check out the red/blue bar on the left hand side of the HUD, that's the shared energy pool. As long as you have enough energy for the shield/lazer/secondary fire they can be used. Trip mines have both a cooldown and use energy.
:aaaaa: Not going to lie, with all the poo poo that explodes and other blinky lights, I didn't even notice that bar.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

RatHat posted:

Uhhhhhhhh
Well, you do get banners / camo for distance travelled, so, one way to unlock 'em in relative peace I guess!

Anyway, I wish the intro jump had more voice lines at this point. I just want to clothesline that goddamn woman on the way out of the dropship at this point.

'The frontier is worth every part of-' :fuckoff:

limited fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 3, 2016

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Antoine Silvere posted:

After playing the game for about 30 hours I can safely say that grapple, while its not the ~*~best~*~ ability, is definitely the most fun. I love playing Attack on Titanfall and swinging around doing cool stunts never gets old :allears:
I love punching pilots who screw up their grapples in my Titan. Just try to grapple in front with no momentum from a wall run... :fuckoff:

Anyway, Ronin talk. So many people are obsessed with getting in close and using that titan-sized hanzo steel, they forget he also has a GIANT SHOTGUN and it does a disgusting amount of damage if you empty it within dash distance. Personally I barely use the sword, I just run around the map like a maniac, dash up to enemy titans, blast the poo poo out of them, then phase / dash away. Only time I swing the sword is if it's within a whisker of being doomed, I gently caress up my dash, or I can steal a quick execution.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Cloak lasts a really long time. Phase shift is also fun as gently caress. The shield is really good but I never utilize my chance to use it proper

But all I wanna do is grapple :(
The shield is pretty fun on slanted rooftops. Toss it so that it's just below the top, and the lil unit the enemy have to shoot to destroy it is literally impossible to hit. Sit up there with a LMG and fire amped shots alllll day. Unless you get flanked, in which case chew the controller.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

PantsBandit posted:

I've been using Scorch a bit. Really cool mech, very unique. I've noticed the canisters you can shoot out are a little finicky though. Couldn't tell if they have a set-up time before they can be ignited or if the gun is just sometimes weird about lighting them.
Use the firewall instead. It totally looks cooler is generally more reliable, and it stacks with the fire patch.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Athanatos posted:

Worst patch ever.*

I can now see that the people I'm playing with have enough cash to win the game easy, but refuse to go bank it for.....reasons I guess.
If it's not the usual being-bad-at-game, I'd go with grinding weapon kills / Titan cores at a guess.

Because I do it a whole bunch.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

a real chump posted:

gently caress tone, scorch for life, ur all poo poo
Amen. Never stop clumping up enemy teams. Ever. Always worth taking those long detours around the map. :supaburn:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah absolutely. It's very weird to see how many people just stand there once they throw a shield down or won't bother to shoot your shield. Are people under the impression it's a timed thing?
Personally I prefer to wait it out due to having the sort of luck when the enemy Titan will be one shot away from doomed, and the ammo counter is reading a big fat zero. Naturally I'm not standing there like a dumbass of course, there's always a corner or pubbie to hide behind while waiting. :argh:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

The Midniter posted:

Scorch is my man. But what the HELL do I do when a pilot is on a rooftop blasting me with a charge rifle? Even with a boost, I'm still too slow to get out of the way before he's hit me two or three times, and the thermite launcher is not exactly a precision pilot-sniping weapon.
If they're low and close, punch at 'em or use the fire shield. Melee has a pretty deceptively long range, and a lot of people still don't get the fire shield actually does damage. You can try to toss canisters, the arc tends to be a bit limp and most folks will run the hell away, but at least it will stop them shooting.

I chalk it up to a weakness by design, considering Scorch is all about turning areas into a firestorm, not anything resembling precision shooting. If you could turn entire rooftops into a inferno as easily, he'd dominate the poo poo out of pilots for sheer area denial.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

PRL412 posted:

This is why I kept TF2 installed even though I haven't played in over 6 months. Better squeeze those missing updates in this weekend.
Ditto. Why this mode wasn't in at release I have no idea. I'm sure it would shifted plenty more copies.

Stomping on AI with some bros in giant loving robots? That's what made me personally buy TF2 in the first place, as soon as it was mentioned before release.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

The Jumpoff posted:

Any pc goons looking to defend some frontiers? I tried out two rounds and holy poo poo this is the most fun thing. I'm also super thankful that you earn progression towards the normal multiplayer. Now i can level all the weapons in Frontier Defense and not feel like a scrub.
Booted up the game for the first time in six months, first game of FD, and crushed 43 Titans as Scorch. :getin:

I can see the main problem being pubbies being too dumb to spend their money despite the giant banners mid-round saying BUY STUFF DUMBASS despite Sentry guns mowing down drones like crazy and pretty much making them a non-issue during waves.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

That marks the second time I've been trickshotted by a Scorch on that map.
First time was on the roof opposite.
I imagine they gave the AI scorches aimbots because otherwise they wouldn't be a remote threat as soon as you left ground level. They don't seem to use the canisters from what I've seen, ( I'd guess because programming when to use it would be a pain in the rear end ) so they won't flood a roof with gas then light your rear end up, or punch you near the edge. They're still pretty helpless from a distance though.

Anyway, fun things for FD-

- Redeploying your own turrets restores their HP to 100%. Handy if they're left with a sliver at the end of a wave.
- Make sure to swap out your pistol for something else. I prefer a LMG because it mows down drones.
- Turrets are great for drones too, but arc mines don't need watching, and making the AI bunch up puts them in a perfect position for all sorts of fun stuff. Like Scorches, Northstars, and just leaping from one rodeo to the other while laughing like a maniac.
- ARC MINES. Seriously, Nuke Titans are not a problem when they're properly spaced and placed along the paths. They won't even get close.
- Don't hesitate to jump out of your Titan. Besides quickly repairing turrets, by the time you're done pissing about shooting at a rooftop with Mortar Spectres on, you could've already killed them on foot and be off murdering something else.
- Don't ragequit if you've levelled up stuff. You don't get any level ups. Even if you're the last one left, just tough it out or go get a beer.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Olympic Mathlete posted:

THIS IS SOMETHING YOU CAN DO? I could have a Devotion and a snoipe? :aaa:
From what I've seen, grunts only drop Spitfires, the basic AR, and maybe a DMR if you're lucky. :(

Got to be quick though, as weapons on the ground despawn as the wave ends. I usually scoop up the first thing I find in wave one, but prefer a Spitfire. But if you die after wave two, you're pretty much stuck with your pistol, as grunts basically disappear.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I picked this up on PS4 because I've been having fun with the mobile game and it's half off. Anything I should know to get started?
Main thing to be aware of is that sliding adds, or maintains momentum. Doing it from a sprinting start makes your jumps and initial wallruns longer / faster, and if you hit the floor, it'll help you keep some of your speed when you get back up on the wall.

Also, hipfire is much more accurate compared to other FPS games, so you can still shoot at dudes while bouncing around like Spiderman on crack cocaine, without needing to ADS with plenty of weapons.

Or just use a explosive weapon. :unsmigghh:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

moist turtleneck posted:

I feel like a lot of people just plan on playing as a pilot if they pick Ronin for FD

They also are the people that buy all nuke rodeos and no arc traps and proceed to die over and over again
Personally I quite like parking my Legion with a guardian chip close to the drill on Homestead, and he'll happily sit there all game chewing up the drone waves, and pretty much everything else. While I bounce around the middle lanes rodeoing the poo poo out of trapped titans and giving batteries out like candy between dealing with mortars / snipers. :unsmigghh:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

harsh truths :(

Titanfall....BATTLE ROYALE

Which wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen
If Titanfall could handle the same player counts as Battlefield.... :fap:

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

MrBond posted:

I got really into Ion once I saw from this thread how awesome it was to laser kill ejecting pilots with it, but then they tweaked Ion slightly in a patch and it felt like they made it way harder to do that :( My xbox skills are not good enough to easily nail that :cry:
The big secret is gauging the peak of the ejection. That point where they slow down, and just before they start falling again is the best time to try and hit 'em. Just take the animation of the actual laser before it fires into account.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Digirat posted:

Battlefield was already meant to be EA’s big competitor to COD ever since BF3 though. Releasing TF2 right in between them was just forcing it to compete with EA’s own property too, not just COD, and pretty much sending it out to die
At the time, I chalked it up to EA maybe trying to grab the folks who don't like the World War setting, and catch the modern/sci-fi FPS crowd. But Infinite Warfare was that year, with the Modern Warfare remaster, so even though IW was awful, it was fighting uphill even more.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

FastestGunAlive posted:

I like FD but wish it would have received more maps or more variety. The waves start to feel same ish after awhile. I’d love a pilot-only FD mode also so you could do lots of sick movement stuff
To be fair, you can just dump your titan down with a assault chip by the harvester, and just roam yourself. Granted not every weapon is ideal, but it's still great fun loving with the killfeed by blowing up a titan using handguns, shotguns, etc.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

ZeusCannon posted:

Pls dont be mobile game
They already played that card. They made some sort of weird instantly forgettable semi-MOBA thing that ran like garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly Titanfall could be made to fit the MOBA mold with relatively minimal changes to the standard gameplay, at least for the Titan parts of the game, admittedly it would take some work to get the Pilot parts to fit properly

But then again I was one of those people who really liked Battleborn and would love to see more FPS/MOBA hybrids
Nothing wrong with a FPS MOBA, because as pointed out, it's basically Frontier Defense with knobs on. Hell, I'd love to see the AI fighting kicked up a notch, if I can't get Battlefield-esque player counts on huge maps.

The mobile game they made was some weird bastard of top-down card-based capture-the-point MOBA-esque stuff, and the fact nobody else can remember it here pretty much shows how memorable it was.

A quick bit of wikipedia-fu shows that they originally were planning a card game called frontline ( I still have the ad for it in my game case! ) which got canned, and the game I'm thinking of was Titanfall Assault, but they nuked the servers less than a year later so it doesn't exist anymore.