Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
The El Faro bridge voice recorder was recently recovered. It's one hell of a read.

https://www.scribd.com/document/340858632/Voyage-Data-Recorder-NTSB-Audio-Transcript

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/timeline-to-tragedy-doomed-el-faros-final-hours/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
drat, that captain was the "this is fine!" dog, but with water.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imagine your last words, recorded for posterity for all eternity after the cockpit voice recorder gets recovered from the bottom of the sea, being "Ruh roh."

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Imagine your last words, recorded for posterity for all eternity after the cockpit voice recorder gets recovered from the bottom of the sea, being "Ruh roh."

Alternatively "Give me splenda, not the regular sugar"

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

My first patrol on my first Coast Guard ship, we boarded a decent sized coastal freighter. I am relying on memory but I'm pretty sure her name was D'mary, but it might have been "Dimeri" or something else phonetic. Couple hundred feet long. We find drugs and get the crew off but the ship isn't sea worthy. The captain decides to scuttle the ship as a hazard to navigation so a damage control crew goes over and cuts a few holes, opens the seacocks, etc.

Only at that point does someone point out that the depth here is only a tens of feet, 40 or 50 I think. The ship is certainly taller than that.

So we rapidly try to get her under tow, and pull the sinking vessel into deeper waters. It doesn't work, we ended up cutting the towline and having to file for a notice to mariners for the charted area. We passed by a few times in the remaining years and the captain always made sure to drive close enough to point out his own abject lesson in planning to new officers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alereon posted:

drat, that captain was the "this is fine!" dog, but with water.

quote:

M1
03:00:45.8 03:00:47.8 [sound similar to clacking or tapping on the steel deck.]
2M
03:00:47.8 03:00:49.1 rhut row. [spoken in a Scooby Doo voice.]
AB-2
03:00:49.6 03:00:51.1 hell was that?

I think as soon as the steam plant went cold, he knew what was going to happen. It must loving suck to know that, realistically, even if you abandon ship, you are going to die in the storm.

From the way the recorder plays, it sounds like the Captain and one other went down on the bridge.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 10, 2017

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
"Rhu row" was way before the plant went out, and it was the second mate.

Fun fact, the only woman on board, and she sent an email to her mother telling her to tell everyone she loved them hours before the accident. So she likely had a pretty good idea poo poo was going bad.

I haven't read the transcript; don't think I will. I've been involved in way too many conversations about "Aw come on, what's a little stormy weather?" that ended up fine to want to know more about this one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

Fun fact, the only woman on board, and she sent an email to her mother telling her to tell everyone she loved them hours before the accident. So she likely had a pretty good idea poo poo was going bad.

Nearly the entire crew was well aware of what they were heading towards. Chief Mate asked for a change of course. Captain denied. Third Mate suggested they were heading straight into danger, but didn't want to second guess the captain. Then presented a plot of the Hurrican'e course to the captain, showing they would come within 20 miles of the eye. Captain declined change of course. Second Mate calls up captain suggesting change of course. Captain denies.

The Captain was an idiot, and everyone was aware of what was about to happen. He dismissed it as "Well, its like this every day in Alaska".

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CommieGIR posted:

Nearly the entire crew was well aware of what they were heading towards. Chief Mate asked for a change of course. Captain denied. Third Mate suggested they were heading straight into danger, but didn't want to second guess the captain. Then presented a plot of the Hurrican'e course to the captain, showing they would come within 20 miles of the eye. Captain declined change of course. Second Mate calls up captain suggesting change of course. Captain denies.

The Captain was an idiot, and everyone was aware of what was about to happen. He dismissed it as "Well, its like this every day in Alaska".

The captains bones should be dredged up, and beaten.

What a shithead; read the whole transcript. I'm not a mariner, so I'll reserve my judgement of his decisions, although it does floor me that he would compare navigating a commercial fishing vessel in Alaskan seas to operating a much heavier ship though hurricanes.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
He was likely under a lot of stress from corporate to make a schedule. Container ships are pretty tight with their times and diverting may have been something that he perceived as having a guaranteed bad outcome vs a maybe bad outcome. Still bad risk management. Also, being a former Second Mate, not gonna read that. Had a scare or two, not eager to read others last words.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mercury Ballistic posted:

He was likely under a lot of stress from corporate to make a schedule. Container ships are pretty tight with their times and diverting may have been something that he perceived as having a guaranteed bad outcome vs a maybe bad outcome. Still bad risk management. Also, being a former Second Mate, not gonna read that. Had a scare or two, not eager to read others last words.

As soon as it hit a Class III Hurrican, my SOP would've been: Get as far away as possible from that hurricane.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not super into marine stuff, but I found this to be a fascinating topic and a great article IMO:

High Tech Cowboys of the Deep Seas: The Race to Save the Cougar Ace

quote:

Latitude 48° 14 North. Longitude 174° 26 West. Almost midnight on the North Pacific, about 230 miles south of Alaska's Aleutian Islands. A heavy fog blankets the sea. There's nothing but the wind spinning eddies through the mist.

Out of the darkness, a rumble grows. The water begins to vibrate. Suddenly, the prow of a massive ship splits the fog. Its steel hull rises seven stories above the water and stretches two football fields back into the night. A 15,683-horsepower engine roars through the holds, pushing 55,328 tons of steel. Crisp white capital letters — COUGAR ACE — spell the ship's name above the ocean froth. A deep-sea car transport, its 14 decks are packed with 4,703 new Mazdas bound for North America. Estimated cargo value: $103 million.

On the bridge and belowdecks, the captain and crew begin the intricate process of releasing water from the ship's ballast tanks in preparation for entry into US territorial waters. They took on the water in Japan to keep the ship steady, but US rules require that it be dumped here to prevent contaminating American marine environments. It's a tricky procedure. To maintain stability and equilibrium, the ballast tanks need to be drained of foreign water and simultaneously refilled with local water. The bridge gives the go-ahead to commence the operation, and a ship engineer uses a hydraulic-powered system to open the starboard tank valves. Water gushes out one side of the ship and pours into the ocean. It's July 23, 2006.
https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Today was the anniversary of the sinking of the Dixie Arrow, in torpedo alley off of Cape Hatteras.

Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum posted:

Courage. Defender. Protector. HERO. On this day in history, March 26, 1942 – Dixie Arrow was hit with three torpedoes within one minute, off of Cape Hatteras by U-71. Eleven lives were lost. Able-bodied seaman, Oscar G. Chappell, was severely injured but still alive and at his station in the wheelhouse of the torpedoed Dixie Arrow. Chappell was able to turn the ship and hold the tanker into the wind, thus driving the flames away and allowing men to jump clear of the sea of burning oil. The flames however came directly back on Chappell. His heroic actions and sacrifice saved his shipmates. A liberty ship was later named in his honor.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Chappell was able to turn the ship and hold the tanker into the wind, thus driving the flames away and allowing men to jump clear of the sea of burning oil.

How do they know that he did this? Radio?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sticky Date posted:

How do they know that he did this? Radio?

There were 6 other people on the bridge with him after the first torpedo exploded (6 alive, at any rate). He ordered them off before steering the ship to have the winds calm the inferno, if only for a moment. I managed to track that info down here:

http://tinyurl.com/k8fyeot

Search for Dixie Arrow, since there aren't any page numbers to go off of. Poor dude saw the torpedoes incoming and called them out, but it wasn't in time to maneuver and make them miss. It was initially only 2 torpedoes, which succeeded in blasting the ship wide open and setting her on fire. The U-boat captain decided that overkill was the best kind of kill, and sent a 3rd torpedo into the flaming carnage. This is the one that killed the ship's captain.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I wonder how he was able to manuever a crippled ship. Generally when the prop stops, the helm stops responding soon after.

Not that I doubt the story. Some guy in WW2 was on a targeted cargo ship and managed to use the ships sole deck gun to sink the attacker.

quote:

Before he sailed into history, Edwin J. O’Hara was just another Cadet from the Maritime Commission’s West Coast Basic School. Although he was initially appointed as a Deck Cadet, Edwin O’Hara signed on aboard the SS Mariposa as Engine Cadet on March 14,
1942. However, in a unique twist of fate, Edwin O’Hara signed off the Mariposa after it
arrived in San Francisco on May 3, 1942 due to an infection in his knee. On May 16,
1942 with the infection cleared up and ready for duty he and Deck Cadet Arthur R.
Chamberlin signed on aboard the newly delivered Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins at
San Francisco, CA.

After sailing across the Pacific with war cargo, the Stephen Hopkins called at Durban
and Cape Town, South Africa before sailing across the South Atlantic, bound for
Paramaribo, Suriname. On September 27, 1942 the visibility was reduced due to fog
and haze. Despite having five lookouts no one aboard the Stephen Hopkins sighted
either the German Raider Stier (known as Raider J) or its supply ship Tannenfels until
1235 GCT when they appeared out of the mist. Ordered to stop by the Stier, the
Stephen Hopkins’ master, Captain Paul Buck, refused and turned the ship away from
the Germans to bring his heaviest weapon to bear, a single 4″ gun.

The Stier was armed with six 150mm guns, one 75mm gun, a twin 37mm anti-aircraft
gun and four 20mm anti-aircraft guns with modern fire control and trained naval
gunners. The ship also had two float planes and two torpedo tubes. The Tannenfels
was only armed with anti-aircraft machine guns. Against this armament the Stephen
Hopkins had one 4″ gun, two 37mm and several .50 and .30 caliber anti-aircraft
machine guns manned by a small detachment of Naval Armed Guard and the ship’s
crew.

At 1238 the Stier began firing on the Stephen Hopkins at close range. Shrapnel and
machine gun bullets rained down on the Stephen Hopkins’ crew wounding or killing
several men, including the Armed Guard Commander, Lieutenant (j.g.) Kenneth M.
Willett, USNR. Despite his wounds, Willett got the guns manned and began returning
fire at a range of about 1,000 yards. Willett steadfastly continued to direct fire from the
Stephen Hopkins on the two German vessels while the ship’s Captain, Paul Buck,
maneuvered to keep the ship’s stern pointed at the German ships. In their exposed
post the Naval Armed Guard crew was decimated by shells and machine gun bullets,
leaving only the wounded Willett to keep the 4″ gun firing at the Stier’s waterline,
inflicting heavy damage. When the ammunition magazine for the 4″ gun magazine
exploded, Willett was out of action. However, Cadet Edwin J. O’Hara who was nearby
rushed forward to take his place firing the five shells left in the ready service locker.
O’Hara fired the five remaining shells on the Tannenfels, before being mortally wounded
by enemy fire.

After twenty minutes of intense shelling with the ship on fire and sinking Captain Buck
gave the order to abandon ship. The Second Assistant Engineer and the steward
lowered the only undamaged lifeboat over the side, and several other crew members
lowered rafts. When last seen Lt. Willett was cutting loose life rafts. The lifeboat then
made the rounds in the water, collecting those crew members on rafts that it could
reach until the men in the lifeboat could no longer see in the fog and mist. One raft with
five men, including possibly Captain Buck, could not be reached and was never seen
again. The survivors were able to see the Stephen Hopkins sink stern first and shortly
afterward heard the detonation of the Stier’s ammunition magazines, sinking that ship.
Only nineteen of the sixty men aboard the Stephen Hopkins made it to the lifeboat,
including five wounded men. Among those who did not survive the battle were Cadets
Edwin J. O’Hara and Arthur R. Chamberlin.

On September 28 the survivors of the Stephen Hopkins set their course west for South
America. After a voyage of 31 days and 2,200 miles, fifteen of the men arrived at Barra
do Itabopoana, Brazil, on October 27. The survivors told the story of the Stephen Hopkins’
fight with the two German ships to Timothy J. Mahoney, the American Vice Consul in
Brazil the next day. However, press reports of the Stephen Hopkins did not appear until
December.

When the press was able to report the story of the Stephen Hopkins the ship was hailed as a “Hero Ship” and cited the action as the first between a  German surface raider and U.S. merchant ship which resulted in sinking the raider. For the action of September 27, 1942 the SS Stephen Hopkins, and its crew, were awarded the U.S.Maritime Commission’s Gallant Ship Unit Citation.

The men of the Stephen Hopkins were also honored by a grateful nation. Lt. (j.g.)
Kenneth M. Willett, USNR was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross for his actions.
Of the crew, Paul Buck, (Master), George S. Cronk (Second Assistant Engineer), Joseph Earl Layman (Second Mate), Richard Moczkowski (Chief Mate) and Ford Stilson (Chief Steward) were awarded the Merchant Marine Distinguished Service Medal. The awards for Buck, Layman and Moczkowski were made posthumously.

For his brave sacrifice of his own life in manning the Stephen Hopkins’ 4″ gun and firing the last five shots into the Tannenfels, O’Hara was also posthumously awarded the Distinguished Service Medal.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I wonder how he was able to manuever a crippled ship. Generally when the prop stops, the helm stops responding soon after.

Not that I doubt the story. Some guy in WW2 was on a targeted cargo ship and managed to use the ships sole deck gun to sink the attacker.

The Stephen Hopkins is my favorite Liberty ship. We've got 3 near where I live, all serving as artificial reefs. Alexander Ramsey, Theodore Parker and the Vermilion are offshore from Wilmington, Morehead City, and Myrtle Beach/Murrells Inlet and sit within recreational diving limits. The Theodore Parker and the Alexander Ramsey are both sitting in about 50 ft of water, and the Vermilion is a bit deeper. I think the ocean floor is at ~130ft for her, which is the limit for non-technical/non-decompression diving.

e: Vermilion isn't actually a Liberty ship. She's a Tolland-class attack/cargo ship built for WWII, so the designs are likely related somehow. These were designed/built for the US Navy, instead of the Merchant Marine like the Liberty ships were.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 27, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

There were 6 other people on the bridge with him after the first torpedo exploded (6 alive, at any rate). He ordered them off before steering the ship to have the winds calm the inferno, if only for a moment. I managed to track that info down here:

http://tinyurl.com/k8fyeot

Search for Dixie Arrow, since there aren't any page numbers to go off of. Poor dude saw the torpedoes incoming and called them out, but it wasn't in time to maneuver and make them miss. It was initially only 2 torpedoes, which succeeded in blasting the ship wide open and setting her on fire. The U-boat captain decided that overkill was the best kind of kill, and sent a 3rd torpedo into the flaming carnage. This is the one that killed the ship's captain.

This was such a good read I bought the e-book.

Then I got into reading about German Commerce Raiders

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Look for a book called Sea Raider Atlantis.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

The area that Torpedo Alley sits in had long since earned the name "Graveyard of the Atlantic", and that was before Nazis contributed significantly to the Ghost Fleet of the Outer Banks (as we refer to it now) :smith:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 28, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

The area that Torpedo Alley sits in had long since earned the name "Graveyard of the Atlantic", and that was before Nazis contributed significantly to the Ghost Fleet of the Outer Banks (as we refer to it now) :smith:

Oh yeah, I know.

That was the creepiest part of that book: The Destroyers would find a contact and start depth charging, only to find out it was a previously sunk U-Boat victim.

They were also dropping their anchors on suspected uboats to try to wrench them loose. Its really interesting how there was so many boats sunk that they kept getting false positives from previous U-boat kills :gonk:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 28, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Most tankers of that era had their machinery in the stern instead of amidships like freighters and passenger liners. Presumably the torpedo hit forward of the engineering spaces and the engines were undamaged and still running, which meant the ship could still answer the helm.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 28, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Most tankers of that era had their machinery in the stern instead of amidships like freighters and passenger liners. Presumably the torpedo hit forward of the engineering spaces and the engines were undamaged and still running, which meant the ship could still answer the helm.

He may have also been hoping he still had enough foreward momentum to turn the ship even if the engine was gone.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The John D Gill had a similar setup. She took a torpedo at the midship, but her engines didn't shut down and one of the lifeboats got pulled into the screws as she capsized.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Liberty ship's engines are back aft. They're also reciprocating steam engines, so they can take some rather unintuitive damage before they stop on their own.

As long as the valves are open and the boilers are pressurized, the prop's gonna keep going. Didn't the aft end of one of the tankers in Finest Hours keep going for a few hours?

On the other hand, the case of the Flare:

quote:

The stern section sank in about half an hour. As it was sinking, some of the crew on the port side of the poop deck saw the bow of a vessel apparently approaching on a near reciprocal course. Their immediate impression was that a rescue vessel was at hand; however, they were dismayed to find that it was the bow section of the "FLARE". The propeller was still turning and had likely caused the stern section to follow an erratic course which returned it to the vicinity of the separated bow section.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 29, 2017

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Makes sense. Ships are odd in their behavior at times.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FrozenVent posted:

Their immediate impression was that a rescue vessel was at hand; however, they were dismayed to find that it was the bow section of the "FLARE". The propeller was still turning and had likely caused the stern section to follow an erratic course which returned it to the vicinity of the separated bow section.

We have met the rescue ship... and they are ours.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

We have met the rescue ship... and they are ours.

Your avatar is perfect for this analogy.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm not super into marine stuff, but I found this to be a fascinating topic and a great article IMO:

Proclick. - like so many here - much appreciated. :)

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Reading things like this makes me sad I was turned down for a job in marine salvage. Several friends from college did go into that field and one of them was involved in lifting the kursk. They couldn't lift the thing in one go and decided to use what amounts to a giant band saw to cut it in two. In order to set the speed of the saw and plan the process they asked the russians for the strength and thickness of the steel used for the pressure hull.

The russian navy initially didn't want to hand this over. It was a state secret and they were worried the west would be able to make accurate estimates of the sub's maximum depth. The salvaging engineers pointed out that what they were going to do was essentially destructive testing of the sub's hull, so they would find out anyway. After some hushed conversations and an emergency meeting of admirals the russians handed over the steel strength: in the 600 N/mm2 range if I remember right, which was surprisingly low for a modern submarine.

Even more surprising was that the cutting process proceded far quicker than scheduled, meaning the steel was weaker than specified. It turned out to be in the range of good quality structural steel. The post-soviet navy had fallen on very hard times.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

you feelin fucky posted:

Reading things like this makes me sad I was turned down for a job in marine salvage. Several friends from college did go into that field and one of them was involved in lifting the kursk. They couldn't lift the thing in one go and decided to use what amounts to a giant band saw to cut it in two. In order to set the speed of the saw and plan the process they asked the russians for the strength and thickness of the steel used for the pressure hull.

The russian navy initially didn't want to hand this over. It was a state secret and they were worried the west would be able to make accurate estimates of the sub's maximum depth. The salvaging engineers pointed out that what they were going to do was essentially destructive testing of the sub's hull, so they would find out anyway. After some hushed conversations and an emergency meeting of admirals the russians handed over the steel strength: in the 600 N/mm2 range if I remember right, which was surprisingly low for a modern submarine.

Even more surprising was that the cutting process proceded far quicker than scheduled, meaning the steel was weaker than specified. It turned out to be in the range of good quality structural steel. The post-soviet navy had fallen on very hard times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

you feelin fucky posted:

Its not all that suprising. They tend to present a good image, but a lot of Russia military equipment is very much for show.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
You have to admit, it's a pretty effective show!

you feelin fucky posted:

I'm a hardcore office dweller so I never had a chance, but yeah, marine salvage is one of the jobs, along withe stuff like well control, that seems challenging, interesting, and pretty badass, yet not too dangerous so the concept is super appealing especially whenever I'm stuck on hours long conference calls about god knows what.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo is that the Kuznetsov? If I didnt know, I would have guessed that ship was burning.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, and this is supposedly the engine room, which would make sense:

So hopefully it'll soon be an addition to this thread!

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
You have to admit, it's a pretty effective show!

america poured billions into developing radio encryptions that no SIGINT could intercept

the russians used smoke signals

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Saint Celestine posted:

Holy poo poo is that the Kuznetsov? If I didnt know, I would have guessed that ship was burning.

Maybe they ran out of heavy fuel oil and switched back to coal.

Edit: Or this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq0eFkptu2c

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 9, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If there's enough particulate matter in the cloud could it function as chaff?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Saint Celestine posted:

I was trying to find that photo for another thread and came to the conclusion that, sadly, it's a photoshop of the Kuznetsov and the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The real thing is still pretty noticeable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVhCl02ssk

• Locked thread