Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Let's talk about and stare in amazement at the Hughes Glomar Explorer. A Deep Sea Mining vessel that was actually designed to pick up half a Soviet Submarine off of the ocean floor in the 1970s.

Target sub K-129, destroyed by possible missile detonation due to water reacting with the fuel:

Vessel: Hughes Glomar Explorer

Unclassified Technical Specs and Overview of Glomar Explorer systems and operation: http://www.maritime.org/doc/glomarexplorer/index.htm

The Glomar Explorer had a massive sliding moon pool that opened into the bottom of the ship via two floating interlocking doors.

The recovery device, known to Lockheed as the 'Capture Vehicle' but known to the crew as Clementine, was a spider looking rig lowered down on interlocking pipes that carried hydraulic fluid down the core to the capture vehicle to power the vehicle and provide actuation and thrust via hydraulic motors:

The Capture Vehicle was built separately from the Glomar Explorer in a covered barge that could be sunk and raised. When the Glomar Explorer was ready, it was piloted over the now-sunken barge, the doors on the barge and the Explorer opened, and the Capture Vehicle lifted into the moon pool. This was done at night to avoid attracting suspicion of the local vacationers.

In the end, it was a Successful-Failure. The strengthened steel that Lockheed used for the capture arms was too brittle and failed half way up to the surface. A plan was made to try a second go, but the story was blown open.

However, they still managed to recover a portion of the sub, nuclear torpedoes, some crypto, and at least 6 bodies. The bodies were re-buried at sea in a sealed container (radiation) and with the Soviet flag and naval hymn.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

lightpole posted:

Glomar Explorer was laid up in Suisun before being sold to what is now Transocean. It's scrap by now.

It was a disgusting waste to scrap that ship. Should've been made a museum.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

Ships are huge, expensive to maintain in a safely visitable state and mostly full of boring emptiness.

I'm always amazed at how many of them are maintained as museums at all.

It was an engineering marvel, even for today: Stabilized platform, advanced position keeping without satellites, (using beacons instead, etc.)

The gimbal alone weighed 750 tons. The ship had to lift at least 1,750 tons, not counting the capture vehicle. Bearings were rated at 4,500 tons.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 21, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

Sea related content: This is what happens when an elderly non-combat ship gets hit with a modern anti-ship missile. Spoilers: it doesn't end well for the ship.

HSV-2 originally was designed to be a combat vessel for the US Navy.

Let's be fair, nearly any ship being hit by a missile of this size is going to be pretty hosed up.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noor_(missile)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNTLy83O4qk

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 1, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LostCosmonaut posted:

I work in the nuclear industry. I would rather physically handle nuclear waste than work on an oil/gas rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PcDNRSsM24

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-22840445

I would rather handle fuel rods with my bare hands than ever work on a rig or drill platform.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I love perusing the Wikipedia entry for actual abandoned ships:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_ship#Historically_attested

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

5 Unexplained Ghost Ships video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ZeFNRsGPY

Yes, clickbait. Yes, corny google image search photos. Yes, quite fun.

E: What's the name of the ship at the no. 1 position? I couldn't work it out. I had a look on Wikipedia for ghost ships and couldn't see anything like it. Is it fictional?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ourang_Medan

quote:

Several authors note their inability to find any mention of the case in Lloyd's Shipping Register.[1][12][13] Furthermore, no registration records for a ship by the name of Ourang Medan could be located in various countries, including the Netherlands. While Bainton states that the identity of the Silver Star, reported to have been involved in the failed rescue attempt, has been established with some certainty, the complete lack of information on the sunken ship itself has given rise to suspicion about the origins and credibility of the account. Ships logs for the Silver Star did not show a record of any such rescue attempt. Bainton and others have put forward the possibility that accounts of, among others, the date, location, names of the ships involved, and circumstances of the accident might have been inaccurate or exaggerated, or that the story might be completely fictitious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm doing a lot of reading on the illicit salvage operations going on off the coast of Indonesia

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Alereon posted:

drat, that captain was the "this is fine!" dog, but with water.

quote:

M1
03:00:45.8 03:00:47.8 [sound similar to clacking or tapping on the steel deck.]
2M
03:00:47.8 03:00:49.1 rhut row. [spoken in a Scooby Doo voice.]
AB-2
03:00:49.6 03:00:51.1 hell was that?

I think as soon as the steam plant went cold, he knew what was going to happen. It must loving suck to know that, realistically, even if you abandon ship, you are going to die in the storm.

From the way the recorder plays, it sounds like the Captain and one other went down on the bridge.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 10, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FrozenVent posted:

Fun fact, the only woman on board, and she sent an email to her mother telling her to tell everyone she loved them hours before the accident. So she likely had a pretty good idea poo poo was going bad.

Nearly the entire crew was well aware of what they were heading towards. Chief Mate asked for a change of course. Captain denied. Third Mate suggested they were heading straight into danger, but didn't want to second guess the captain. Then presented a plot of the Hurrican'e course to the captain, showing they would come within 20 miles of the eye. Captain declined change of course. Second Mate calls up captain suggesting change of course. Captain denies.

The Captain was an idiot, and everyone was aware of what was about to happen. He dismissed it as "Well, its like this every day in Alaska".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mercury Ballistic posted:

He was likely under a lot of stress from corporate to make a schedule. Container ships are pretty tight with their times and diverting may have been something that he perceived as having a guaranteed bad outcome vs a maybe bad outcome. Still bad risk management. Also, being a former Second Mate, not gonna read that. Had a scare or two, not eager to read others last words.

As soon as it hit a Class III Hurrican, my SOP would've been: Get as far away as possible from that hurricane.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

There were 6 other people on the bridge with him after the first torpedo exploded (6 alive, at any rate). He ordered them off before steering the ship to have the winds calm the inferno, if only for a moment. I managed to track that info down here:

http://tinyurl.com/k8fyeot

Search for Dixie Arrow, since there aren't any page numbers to go off of. Poor dude saw the torpedoes incoming and called them out, but it wasn't in time to maneuver and make them miss. It was initially only 2 torpedoes, which succeeded in blasting the ship wide open and setting her on fire. The U-boat captain decided that overkill was the best kind of kill, and sent a 3rd torpedo into the flaming carnage. This is the one that killed the ship's captain.

This was such a good read I bought the e-book.

Then I got into reading about German Commerce Raiders

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

The area that Torpedo Alley sits in had long since earned the name "Graveyard of the Atlantic", and that was before Nazis contributed significantly to the Ghost Fleet of the Outer Banks (as we refer to it now) :smith:

Oh yeah, I know.

That was the creepiest part of that book: The Destroyers would find a contact and start depth charging, only to find out it was a previously sunk U-Boat victim.

They were also dropping their anchors on suspected uboats to try to wrench them loose. Its really interesting how there was so many boats sunk that they kept getting false positives from previous U-boat kills :gonk:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 28, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Most tankers of that era had their machinery in the stern instead of amidships like freighters and passenger liners. Presumably the torpedo hit forward of the engineering spaces and the engines were undamaged and still running, which meant the ship could still answer the helm.

He may have also been hoping he still had enough foreward momentum to turn the ship even if the engine was gone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Animal-Mother posted:

We have met the rescue ship... and they are ours.

Your avatar is perfect for this analogy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

you feelin fucky posted:

Reading things like this makes me sad I was turned down for a job in marine salvage. Several friends from college did go into that field and one of them was involved in lifting the kursk. They couldn't lift the thing in one go and decided to use what amounts to a giant band saw to cut it in two. In order to set the speed of the saw and plan the process they asked the russians for the strength and thickness of the steel used for the pressure hull.

The russian navy initially didn't want to hand this over. It was a state secret and they were worried the west would be able to make accurate estimates of the sub's maximum depth. The salvaging engineers pointed out that what they were going to do was essentially destructive testing of the sub's hull, so they would find out anyway. After some hushed conversations and an emergency meeting of admirals the russians handed over the steel strength: in the 600 N/mm2 range if I remember right, which was surprisingly low for a modern submarine.

Even more surprising was that the cutting process proceded far quicker than scheduled, meaning the steel was weaker than specified. It turned out to be in the range of good quality structural steel. The post-soviet navy had fallen on very hard times.

Its not all that suprising. They tend to present a good image, but a lot of Russia military equipment is very much for show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ThingOne posted:

The real thing is still pretty noticeable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRVhCl02ssk

I love the shot of the cargo ship sailing nearby that is doing so smoke free, while the carrier rolls coal.

• Locked thread