Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Blue Hole, New Mexico is a popular tourist destination. It's a lovely clear water body (specifically, a spring water fed sinkhole)...

...that also happens to feature a network of underwater caves that were immensely popular with divers until 1976 when two divers (of a team of 10) perished. The actual final depth of the caves is largely unknown, it's only been explored to about 200 feet, and after the accident a grate was installed to keep would-be diving thrill seekers out. Diving is still permitted in Blue Hole, but open water only - the caves were completely sealed off.

That was, until the caves were re-opened to minimal surveying exploration in 2013, with successful dives/rock clearing not commencing until 2015 - a short lived effort, when in March of this year, a highly experienced diver from California died:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/31/veteran-scuba-diver-shane-thompson-dies-underwater-cave-accident-new-mexico
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/expert-diver-dies-blue-hole-caverns-new-mexico-article-1.2586285

The group he was diving with has a page regarding exploration/surveying of the caves and it's history of the 1976 fatality, but no mention of Shane Thompson: http://www.admfoundation.org/projects/santarosa/santarosaexpedition.html or any possible future dives. Local news sources reported shortly after that no more cave diving was to occur, but to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been permanently re-sealed.

Reports from divers who have been in the caves describe a massive underwater cliff that expands so far and deep end walls cannot be seen, and huge networks of chambers and tunnels.

Curiously, if you google "blue hole accident," the New Mexico site is not the only location that will turn up.

Blue Hole, Dahab, Egypt, is the deadliest diving spot in the world and is also a sinkhole system (within the Red Sea). It was the location of the now infamous recorded scuba diving death of Yuri Lipski, who's helmet camera was intact when his body was recovered. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eejQPUyeNiY :nms: Warning - there is no visibly graphic footage, but his distress is clearly apparent and audibly gruesome. Slate had a pretty good write up of the circumstances http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2014/03/04/diver_s_cemetery_the_blue_hole_of_dahab_on_the_red_sea_in_egypt.html

As of 2012 there are 14 memorial plaques, signs, etc. bearing the names of divers who went in and never returned, though unofficial estimates (Egyptian authorities don't keep an official count) place the body count over 130. Unscrupulous diving guides will take amateurs on technical level dives, inexperienced and experienced divers alike get lost and panicked in sand, the dive site is accessible by beach so anyone with any experience lever can just wade in and swim down, there's dozens of factors that go into the unusually high fatality occurrence. Without oversight deaths will continue: the unusual structure of the underwater features, challenge, and ease of access just make it too appealing for too many people.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/the-blue-hole-in-the-red-sea-is-the-deadliest-dive-site-in-the-world-a-844099.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

N00ba the Hutt posted:

The opening post's section on the MS Estonia sinking linked to William Langewiesche's excellent article. He's written several other longform articles on maritime subjects.

The Shipbreakers (2000) - about the industry of tearing down old ships in Alang, India. When a ship is no longer usable or wanted, it gets run up on the beach, where workers in terrible conditions with zero safety or environmental protections pull it apart for scrap.

Anarchy at Sea (2003) - about the utter chaos that is attempting to keep track of what goes on in international waters, covering shoddy corporate practices, terrorism, and piracy. I believe this piece got expanded into his book The Outlaw Sea, which I also recommend. Come to think of it, I need to track down my copy and reread it...

The Pirate Latitudes (2009) - about the piracy off Somalia, using the capture of a French cruise ship as its focus. One fun detail, which the piece only slightly touches on, is that some of the piracy around the Horn of Africa is driven in part by overfishing. While Somalia was in total anarchy for much of the 1990s, foreign fishing fleets showed up in Somali waters (now conveniently unprotected by anything resembling a coast guard or national policy) and devastated local fish stocks. The Somalis had previously been basically subsistence fishermen, but no longer had anything to catch. What they did have was boats, and they saw the big foreign vessels sailing past as a new source of income. This is why marine conservation is important: if you don't preserve natural resources, you get pirates. :yarr:

Salvage Beast (2014) - about maritime salvage and the joys of the Lloyd's of London Open Form ("no cure, no pay").

I highly recommend Langewiesche's writing. He's also done a lot on aviation disasters, which I find to be another fascinating subject.

Thanks for this, his article on the Estonia is amazing and inspirational and I'd had no idea he has so much more similar material. Hooray new reading!

• Locked thread