Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The Windoc: a rare case of a bridge hitting a ship instead of the other way around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?D2Wn2RDzsvg

The bridge toppled the funnel, leading to a diesel tank to fall on an auxiliary boiler (or vice versa); ship was a total loss, company went bankrupt in part because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I'll do a proper write up of the Costa Concordia next time I'm at a computer that I can access the forum on.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Ships are huge, expensive to maintain in a safely visitable state and mostly full of boring emptiness.

I'm always amazed at how many of them are maintained as museums at all.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Not sure of a better thread but does anyone have any book recommendations about size and strength and technology, etc of current US navy/armed forces?

Are you looking for something in Russian, or will English do, comrade?

The Jane's series of books (Fighting Ships, Land Warfare Platforms) might be what you're looking for, but they're pretty expensive. Otherwise Wikipedia has pretty much all the publicly available specs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

"Rhu row" was way before the plant went out, and it was the second mate.

Fun fact, the only woman on board, and she sent an email to her mother telling her to tell everyone she loved them hours before the accident. So she likely had a pretty good idea poo poo was going bad.

I haven't read the transcript; don't think I will. I've been involved in way too many conversations about "Aw come on, what's a little stormy weather?" that ended up fine to want to know more about this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Liberty ship's engines are back aft. They're also reciprocating steam engines, so they can take some rather unintuitive damage before they stop on their own.

As long as the valves are open and the boilers are pressurized, the prop's gonna keep going. Didn't the aft end of one of the tankers in Finest Hours keep going for a few hours?

On the other hand, the case of the Flare:

quote:

The stern section sank in about half an hour. As it was sinking, some of the crew on the port side of the poop deck saw the bow of a vessel apparently approaching on a near reciprocal course. Their immediate impression was that a rescue vessel was at hand; however, they were dismayed to find that it was the bow section of the "FLARE". The propeller was still turning and had likely caused the stern section to follow an erratic course which returned it to the vicinity of the separated bow section.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 29, 2017

• Locked thread