Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not super into marine stuff, but I found this to be a fascinating topic and a great article IMO:

High Tech Cowboys of the Deep Seas: The Race to Save the Cougar Ace

quote:

Latitude 48° 14 North. Longitude 174° 26 West. Almost midnight on the North Pacific, about 230 miles south of Alaska's Aleutian Islands. A heavy fog blankets the sea. There's nothing but the wind spinning eddies through the mist.

Out of the darkness, a rumble grows. The water begins to vibrate. Suddenly, the prow of a massive ship splits the fog. Its steel hull rises seven stories above the water and stretches two football fields back into the night. A 15,683-horsepower engine roars through the holds, pushing 55,328 tons of steel. Crisp white capital letters — COUGAR ACE — spell the ship's name above the ocean froth. A deep-sea car transport, its 14 decks are packed with 4,703 new Mazdas bound for North America. Estimated cargo value: $103 million.

On the bridge and belowdecks, the captain and crew begin the intricate process of releasing water from the ship's ballast tanks in preparation for entry into US territorial waters. They took on the water in Japan to keep the ship steady, but US rules require that it be dumped here to prevent contaminating American marine environments. It's a tricky procedure. To maintain stability and equilibrium, the ballast tanks need to be drained of foreign water and simultaneously refilled with local water. The bridge gives the go-ahead to commence the operation, and a ship engineer uses a hydraulic-powered system to open the starboard tank valves. Water gushes out one side of the ship and pours into the ocean. It's July 23, 2006.
https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
You have to admit, it's a pretty effective show!

you feelin fucky posted:

Reading things like this makes me sad I was turned down for a job in marine salvage. Several friends from college did go into that field and one of them was involved in lifting the kursk. They couldn't lift the thing in one go and decided to use what amounts to a giant band saw to cut it in two. In order to set the speed of the saw and plan the process they asked the russians for the strength and thickness of the steel used for the pressure hull.
I'm a hardcore office dweller so I never had a chance, but yeah, marine salvage is one of the jobs, along withe stuff like well control, that seems challenging, interesting, and pretty badass, yet not too dangerous so the concept is super appealing especially whenever I'm stuck on hours long conference calls about god knows what.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, and this is supposedly the engine room, which would make sense:

So hopefully it'll soon be an addition to this thread!

• Locked thread