Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

My first patrol on my first Coast Guard ship, we boarded a decent sized coastal freighter. I am relying on memory but I'm pretty sure her name was D'mary, but it might have been "Dimeri" or something else phonetic. Couple hundred feet long. We find drugs and get the crew off but the ship isn't sea worthy. The captain decides to scuttle the ship as a hazard to navigation so a damage control crew goes over and cuts a few holes, opens the seacocks, etc.

Only at that point does someone point out that the depth here is only a tens of feet, 40 or 50 I think. The ship is certainly taller than that.

So we rapidly try to get her under tow, and pull the sinking vessel into deeper waters. It doesn't work, we ended up cutting the towline and having to file for a notice to mariners for the charted area. We passed by a few times in the remaining years and the captain always made sure to drive close enough to point out his own abject lesson in planning to new officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread