Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The Kursk disaster (2000) :ussr:
On 12 August 2000 two explosions caused the partial sinking of nuclear-powered Russian submarine Kursk during operations in the Barents Sea. The submarine sank to the bottom with some of the crew still alive. As Russian authorities dallied, covered their backs and outright lied, the submariners struggled for survival. By the time newly-appointed premier Putin asked for foreign assistance it was too late. Cause: Explosion due to poor maintenance of torpedoes. Death toll: 118 (all)
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kursk_submarine_disaster
Youtube documentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MByjnus8uCg

Oh man, the Kursk. I remember when that happened seeing a news report that it sank and there were no presumed survivors. When I heard that, I got this horrible feeling, like I just knew those men were alive and trapped and nothing could save them. I could not get it off my mind. Then later I saw another news clip about when they got to them and confirmed that some had indeed been trapped alive in there for a time I got chills. Never had that happen before or since with any other news of ship sinkings. I think wrecks are really cool but other than that I'm not a naval buff or follow news about ships in any way. It was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread