Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Not as a combat vessel, it was a logistics ship with no weapons or anti-missile capability or even watertight compartmentalization.

HSV-2? Did the US Navy really name a ship after genital herpes?

Yes, of course they did. That's hilarious. "Set sail on the USS Gonorrhea!"

HMS GAY BRUISER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

you feelin fucky posted:

Reading things like this makes me sad I was turned down for a job in marine salvage. Several friends from college did go into that field and one of them was involved in lifting the kursk. They couldn't lift the thing in one go and decided to use what amounts to a giant band saw to cut it in two. In order to set the speed of the saw and plan the process they asked the russians for the strength and thickness of the steel used for the pressure hull.

The russian navy initially didn't want to hand this over. It was a state secret and they were worried the west would be able to make accurate estimates of the sub's maximum depth. The salvaging engineers pointed out that what they were going to do was essentially destructive testing of the sub's hull, so they would find out anyway. After some hushed conversations and an emergency meeting of admirals the russians handed over the steel strength: in the 600 N/mm2 range if I remember right, which was surprisingly low for a modern submarine.

Even more surprising was that the cutting process proceded far quicker than scheduled, meaning the steel was weaker than specified. It turned out to be in the range of good quality structural steel. The post-soviet navy had fallen on very hard times.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread