Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

WII U AND SWITCH VERSIONS ARE VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL. SOME FRAMERATE DROPS ON WII U.

"Open your eyes."

OFFICIAL TRAILER:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be released on March 3, 2017 for Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Wii U. The game is the first proper console Zelda game since Skyward Sword, released in late 2011. It marks a brand new direction for the series, pulling inspiration from Skyrim and Shadow of the Colossus, and there's even real voice acting for the first time in Zelda history. Hyrule is much more open, bigger than ever, and surprisingly interactive. Link can climb 90° cliffs, chop down trees with an axe, and indulge in casual pyromania. OH YEAH AND THERE'S FINALLY A JUMP BUTTON. Nintendo is making a huge effort to reinvigorate the franchise with Breath of the Wild.

Link's been napping for 100 years. Hyrule is in ruins, its people scattered. Calamity Ganon's imposing spirit looms around the castle, daring any who challenge him. Find some pants and a shirt and help Zelda take back the kingdom.

As an artist, perhaps the most appealing thing to me is the game's visual direction. It's a positive evolution from Skyward Sword's impressionism. According to Aunoma, the team is imitating gouache and plein air painting (to brilliant success I might add). The world we've so far is incredibly green with vast fields, woods, and hills in every direction. Hell, I'll let some screencaps do the talking:

A huge change for this game is that you don't have any kind of "helper" character like Navi or Fi. This will be the first console Zelda game since SNES's A Link to the Past without a "friend" to annoyingly navigate you. However, BotW features Amiibo support. Having the Wolf Link Amiibo can summon Wolf Link into your game to help out. I, for one, am glad that Fi can't annoy me every ten seconds with her game-spoiling bullshit. We'll see what else they have in store for this feature!

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be released in 2017 for the Nintendo Wii U and Nintendo NX. More details will be added to the OP as they are revealed.

And remember, if you see something suspicious...

...BOMB IT LIKE YOU'VE NEVER BOMBED IT BEFORE.

Past threads:
Zelda Megathread: Buying Nintendo consoles for one game since 2001
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Raise your sword the highest you can
Zelda Megathread: I found a timeline under the table
Let's talk about the Legend of Zelda

MokBa fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

One of the best parts of BotW? If there's something you don't wanna do, you just don't have to loving do it.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 10, 2017

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

My obligiatory post complaining about no female Link.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I can't wait to get the master sword and immediately throwing it away.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

MokBa posted:

A huge change for this game is that you don't have any kind of "helper" character like Navi or Fi.

:slick:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I wonder if Nintendo will be shooting for this to be released on the 25th anniversary of A Link to the Past

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Okay but seriously gently caress those navigator NPCs. They're occasionally unobtrusive (King of Red Lions) or interesting characters in their own right (Midna), but generally they're just really annoying and unnecessary. It looks like they're have something similar with the iSheik tablet, so here's hoping they don't overdo it.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I need that title picture as a wallpaper size.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CfFnLoiLqk

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Legend Of Zelda.... is good

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This is going to be a video game of some quality between awful or amazing, calling it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

That is neat and I am glad I bothered to get the Wolf Link Amiibo bundle.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm looking towards the Longplays where Link saves the world wearing nothing but his briefs.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This game looks very pretty and fun. I'm not excited about deteriorating items and collectible stuff (like having to eat to replenish health, etc), but I like other games that have that stuff, so I'll definitely be giving this one a chance.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm looking towards the Longplays where Link saves the world wearing nothing but his briefs.

Miyamoto is talking about beating Ganon with no clothes on the stream right now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game looks loving beautiful.

bloodychill pointed out in another thread that the performance is poo poo, and at first I didn't know what he was on about since the trailer looked fantastic.

But if you watch the nintendo treehouse right now, its running at like 5 frames per second. It looks AWFUL.

Hopefully that's just a problem with the stream or capture...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I really, really don't like the fact that the wolf amiibo seems to be an actual big gameplay addition and not some tiny side thing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

As far as pants go, those are as Well-Worn as the best I've seen.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm not hearing any frame rate issues from people playing on the floor so it's probably the stream. I wouldn't be surprised to see the NX version be 60FPS or something though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zelda: The Wettest Fart.

I hope I'm wrong. :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

This game looks loving beautiful.

bloodychill pointed out in another thread that the performance is poo poo, and at first I didn't know what he was on about since the trailer looked fantastic.

But if you watch the nintendo treehouse right now, its running at like 5 frames per second. It looks AWFUL.

Hopefully that's just a problem with the stream or capture...

I imagine the framerate is really going to chug on Wii U, honestly. I can see why they're also promoting this as an NX launch title.

Incidentally, it might very well get me to buy an NX on launch, and I haven't bought a console on launch since like the PS2.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm watching the Twitch stream and it looks okay, certainly doesn't seem unplayable as far as frame rate goes. There are some drops, but nothing too bad overall and the NX version is probably going to run better anyway.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

:siren:SAILING:siren:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
If you're looking at the Treehouse stream in YouTube, the frame rate is sorta hosed. On Twitch it looks fine.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This looks amazing as gently caress :h:

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Games > The Legend of Zelda: Skyrim Sword

We are pretty much being shown why this game has been taking so long. It has potentially too much stuff.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Black Mage Knight posted:

We are pretty much being shown why this game has been taking so long. It has potentially too much stuff.

Don't insult Zelda, this looks like it has functional and interesting combat, along with potentially exciting exploration.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Plot spoilers: The villain is "Calamity Ganon" who took over Hyrule Castle 100 years earlier. This is definitely feeding the idea that this game is something of a "remake" of the original LoZ. As much as I HATE to talk about the timeline in these threads, LoZ takes place in the "OoT Link failed" timeline, whereas WW is Adult Link timeline. Maybe BotW is the WW timeline version of the original game? (This theory's only other support is the appearance of a Korok though.)

I can't get over some of the amazing little details they're including that have all been part of my personal "dream Zelda game". I'm unreasonably excited about Link needed warmer clothes for colder areas (beyond getting a differently-colored tunic), which is a tiny thing I've thought about for years.

I'm surprised that we haven't seen any hint of the green tunic. I'm loving the blue one though, so no complaints here.

Yeah I definitely considered this for a thread title. Hopefully I actually enjoy this game, unlike Skyrim with its garbage combat mechanics.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Looks good. I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of more survival mechanics like setting up camp and cooking but I'm not sold on it yet. That's a mechanic that could be unobtrusive and easy or a complete disaster.

Weapon durability however, is a crime against video games. They better make it like MM where the important stuff stays with you at all times and you only lose the less meaningful stuff. Or, they have it so the weapons stay intact, but you have to craft ammo types and various attachments to enhance the items.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm surprisingly hyped about the combat system which I wasn't expecting much from since it's open world.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Clockwork dungeon with a time-freeze mechanic?

Sign me up.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

WHAT UP SLUTS!

Very excited about this game. Tentatively hoping for some Shadows of the Colossus style boss battles.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really loving the idea of different runes for your slate giving you cool spells. I'm sure that's how you do that "freeze a block of water" thing from the trailer, too.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, storing up energy in something you froze to launch it when the stasis wears off 10/10

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Man, it looks like this game has everything.

Except gender equality. :smith:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Except with good combat and dungeons. You know, the game part.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel like they just confirmed Diablo-style loot--you can find weapons and even if they have the same name and model they can have different little abilities on them. I wonder if they're random.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MokBa posted:

Plot spoilers: The villain is "Calamity Ganon" who took over Hyrule Castle 100 years earlier. This is definitely feeding the idea that this game is something of a "remake" of the original LoZ. As much as I HATE to talk about the timeline in these threads, LoZ takes place in the "OoT Link failed" timeline, whereas WW is Adult Link timeline. Maybe BotW is the WW timeline version of the original game? (This theory's only other support is the appearance of a Korok though.)

Why do people even care about this stuff?

The whole point of the "Legend of Zelda" is there's always a Zelda and there's always a Hero of Time.

He's literally the dread pirate roberts. There's dozens of different Links throughout time in different scenarios. Its the perfect excuse for games to have sequels that are all similar but slightly different.

And then you guys gotta go and force some timeline into it because you just can't handle that?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Real screens from the upcoming Zelda release:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The whole point of the "Legend of Zelda" is there's always a Zelda and there's always a Hero of Time.

He's literally the dread pirate roberts. There's dozens of different Links throughout time in different scenarios. Its the perfect excuse for games to have sequels that are all similar but slightly different.

And then you guys gotta go and force some timeline into it because you just can't handle that?

Well its apparently important link is a boy so maybe???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, Nintendo does have an official timeline. It was fanwank for a while but it's canon now. I mean, the beginning of Wind Waker basically confirms it takes place in the same universe/timeline as Ocarina of Time, so it's not too much of a stretch, y'know?