Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
My thoughts on the weapon durability is that it actually seems really fun, if implemented correctly. The whole point is that you're not holding on to your equipment forever: you need to go out and engage in combat to get enemy weapons. It's like they took the gimmick from Wind Waker and expanded it into a core mechanic. Also, they throw a TON of weapons at you if you explore a little. I don't think it'll be too annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

youcallthatatwist posted:

My thoughts on the weapon durability is that it actually seems really fun, if implemented correctly. The whole point is that you're not holding on to your equipment forever: you need to go out and engage in combat to get enemy weapons. It's like they took the gimmick from Wind Waker and expanded it into a core mechanic. Also, they throw a TON of weapons at you if you explore a little. I don't think it'll be too annoying.

It also looks like the attack that breaks the weapon also knocks down the enemy allowing you to run and grab what they just dropped, so you should not be running out of weapons to use at any time.

EDIT: The shrine gameplay is so good! Just the basic tools you are given look so fun to mess with for dungeon puzzles.

EDIT 2: Did Link partly ragdoll on death?!?

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 14, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm watching these videos and my hype is rapidly deflating as I see things like weapons breaking in a few hits, survival mechanics, limited inventory space for dropped items, having to gather materials to make things. These are all things that add tedium to games and I don't know why any of them needed to be in a Zelda game.

Digging the "sheikah technology from a now-lost civilisation" thing though

I think the weapon durability could work. It's worth noting that these are some lovely early game weapons made of wood or rusted iron that are breaking so easily. And I'm less worried about a weapon breaking mid fight if I can steal the enemy's weapon and keep fighting. And I'm pretty sure the crafting is just cooking.

Durability would annoy me if it was like Dark Souls, where you upgrade a small handful of weapons with rare resources, but in this it looks like you're a weapon scavenger and that's kind of cool.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Link ragdolling when he gets damage is the best. :allears: this shrine's pretty dope, glad there's some real-rear end puzzles going on.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://clips.twitch.tv/nintendo/MagnificentChoughPogChamp

Game of the year

#TEAMCHICO

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Cracked up when Chico almost got beaned by the one spiked ball she didn't hurl into the abyss.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Really dumb how they had to keep hot swapping weapons cause their inventory was full. Hope they figure out something less frustrating

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They just mentioned that Link has been asleep for 100 years.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Jsor posted:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jsor posted:

Isn't that the plot of Zelda 2 but reversed, with Zelda being asleep for 100 years and the Zelda from the first game who was presumeably still around was a different Zelda entirely? I'm wondering if you'll run into another incarnation of Link that isn't the Wolf Link amiibo.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

Really dumb how they had to keep hot swapping weapons cause their inventory was full. Hope they figure out something less frustrating

yeah, there really should just be a 'swap weapons' prompt that brings up your inventory when you try to pick up a weapon w/o any room

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

youcallthatatwist posted:

Nioh did the same thing, and it was a cool idea but also frustrating because:

dragon enthusiast posted:

This is what happens, plus just a lot of inventory management which gets annoying fast.

Both games are unreleased so we'll see how they tweak the systems.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Havok Physics is going to make this game amazing. :allears:

https://fat.gfycat.com/SharpFlamboyantImperatorangel.webm

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It would work best if you could just hold the pick up button for a second to drop your current weapon and pick up the new one as one action. Then you can just quick select the one you want to drop.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Rime posted:

that's pretty good

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I hope I can at least make link wear girl clothes.

Triforc Heroes at least gave me that.

Upon collection reaction data from this week Nintendo will remove all clothing options entirely, leaving Link in just his shorty-shorts for the entirety of the game.

All promotional art will be changed to reflect this change.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh yeah, TH is the only Zelda game I never played, since I was busy at the time it came out. Is it worth getting?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Jsor posted:

Oh yeah, TH is the only Zelda game I never played, since I was busy at the time it came out. Is it worth getting?

Get it for cheap.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rime posted:

Eat your heart out, Farcry.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rime posted:

That's a pretty good argument for preordering alright.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Rime posted:

as a los angeles area resident, seeing fire and dry brush like that is making me really nervous

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jsor posted:

If you mean Twilight Princess then yes, but play the HD version.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Rime posted:

When I was a kid I fantasized about a Zelda game with a lot of environmental physics interactions to solve puzzles. The most creative thing that came to my mind was putting lava in a magic bottle to then melt boulders later. Now they're doing it and in way cooler ways, too! :dance:

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 15, 2016

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

If you mean Twilight Princess then yes, but play the HD version.

I think they meant Triforce Heroes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

thexerox123 posted:

I think they meant Triforce Heroes.

Oh then I'd only get that if you're playing with friends since it's pretty dead with pubs and the single player sucks.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ahahaha the neogaf thread is 40 straight pages of people complaining about the gender of a character with no personality

i hope they add female link and metroid other m the hell out of her

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Relin posted:

ahahaha the neogaf thread is 40 straight pages of people complaining about the gender of a character with no personality

Let me tell you about the Wii U thread.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

mabels big day posted:

It's weird

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

mabels big day posted:

dont

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
The Shiekah Slate seems pretty integrated with the gamepad. Makes me wonder about NX control options.

Also please stop quoting that GIANT loving GIF my computer can't handle it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Relin posted:

nintendo kinda brought it upon themselves with some of the statements they put out.

in non-piss talk, I'm kinda amazed at how much new stuff there is here. they've talked about breaking series traditions before only to bring another strongly conventional Zelda, but now they've dumped a whole bunch of new mechanics, physics and items on us and it's great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The Shiekah Slate seems pretty integrated with the gamepad. Makes me wonder about NX control options.

Not sure what the source was, but I think I saw a tweet saying that Aonuma confirmed you can play BoW with the Wii U Pro Controller, so that's something.

I wonder what happens to Dog Link when you jump from somewhere and glide. I hope he gets a little doggie glider.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did anyone mention their rationale for Link being right-handed again is "the attack button is on the right side of the gamepad"

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I think it's hilarious the various gadgets like bombs are now apps Link installs on his iSheikah. I love all the new features, it's like Nintendo went and played the first Zelda, Skyrim, MGSV, Dark Souls, Darksiders II, and Farcry 2-4 and tossed it all into a blender. This game is going to be awesome.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 15, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I didn't notice it was a gif and just now realized why the E3 coverage I was watching crapped out. What the gently caress.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 15, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

This game appears to be pretty bare bones and plots you right in the game as soon as you start. I kinda liked that about Link Between Worlds, so this game doing it is pretty good.

Also echoing the statement that it really does feel like the first Zelda game. Which is also nice.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Did anyone mention their rationale for Link being right-handed again is "the attack button is on the right side of the gamepad"

It's honestly this kind of revolutionary thinking that makes me keep coming back to these games every generation so, I accept this. It's so clear to me now, it's as intuitive as the d-pad's creation on the NES. Hats off to them.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Zuzie posted:

This game appears to be pretty bare bones and plots you right in the game as soon as you start. I kinda liked that about Link Between Worlds, so this game doing it is pretty good.

Also echoing the statement that it really does feel like the first Zelda game. Which is also nice.

Having this game take a "less is more" approach to story for at least the first third or so would be really cool. I'm really not into the long intros we've been having lately.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

might've been posted before but
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/742839945543462912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Rime posted:

this is really cool but I wish the little 'tree branch' id didn't show up