Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
some places have native majorities, but then they just treat their minority populations like poo poo whether or not said minorities are also native to the region. though i still think liberia is weird because the ruling (and originally foreign) minority treats the native majority like poo poo.

just human nature to punch down, i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

kazr posted:

a country where the natives..................are... the population?!?!?!?1/

is there a country like that?

i can't think of any where some elite group is not oppressing the gently caress out of native/minority populations

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Is there any country where the population doesn't treat their natives like poo poo? Maybe like somewhere in South America or something?

Maybe New Zealand? But that could just be Kiwi propaganda. They're a tricksy people those New Zealanders.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gotta hate somebody. :shrug:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Airborne Viking posted:

When Canada became a nation, they signed a treaty saying that native bands get free funding from the government in exchange for most of the land. Status indians get nice things like free university (mostly), tax exemptions on reserves, and other random government benefits that would make a libertarian cream their pants.

What happened was the reserves became horribly mismanaged slums where corrupt chiefs hoard money and everyone else becomes drunk lazy criminals that take advantave of the system that Canadians pay for. Aboriginals account for about a quarter of all incarcerated Canadians, despite being about 4% of the population. The suicide rate is also six times higher than "normal". Canadians are sick of paying for natives to drink, do crimes, be lazy, receive government benefits that normal people don't get, and basically do nothing besides live of Canadian taxpayers.

Truth is, the system is massively misunderstood. Most natives are perfectly fine people, and many of them don't get the government benefits that most people expect them to get. But most reserves are slums (one has had a boil water advisory for 20 years), and the whole system breeds undereducated alcoholics that break poo poo, steal, murder, and Canadians are paying real money to keep the cycle going.

On the other hand they sell cheap smokes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

We've never forgiven them for casting the norsemen back into the sea. Canada could have been settled by cool Vikings, but instead we got to French and British losers.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
one of my best friends is navajo and grew up on the reservation. that seal of th great navajo nation with the four mountains that mark their territory? they call them their prison walls. their own loving seal is a symbol of their entrapment in a lovely dessert. thats a bit hosed to me

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

PallasAthene posted:

fake edit: I think someone I met there once mentioned some treaties let the tribes ignore catch limits and fish in some places where other people can't.

In those treaties, the local tribes gave up millions of acres of land in exchange for things like special hunting rights on open and unclaimed lands. Since the tribes are sovereign nations, each one defines their own catch limits.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
I think that the fact that natives are racist to non-natives doesn't help.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

MettleRamiel posted:

I think that the fact that natives are racist to non-natives doesn't help.

Life just isn't fair to the white man.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
As well as literally everything that's been said in the thread (although the idea that Canada hates natives because it jails them a lot and they kill themselves is charmingly backwards), the fact that the FNs made a lot of their treaties with the Crown rather than with Canada means that in theory at least those drat UNTOUCHABLE NATIVES are outside what settlers would think is the proper control of the country where they live.

On the other hand I'm not sure the Crown has ever actually done anything for the natives post Canadian independence (or even much before) despite being petitioned constantly.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Tuxedo Gin posted:

is there a country like that?

Only one I can think of would be Iceland, which wasn't really populated before the Norse settlers came (except for a few Irish monks, apparently). Since there weren't any natives, they had to treat each other like poo poo instead.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Facebook Aunt posted:

We've never forgiven them for casting the norsemen back into the sea. Canada could have been settled by cool Vikings, but instead we got to French and British losers.

Well, consider the circumstances of Norse expansion across the north Atlantic:

1. Iceland was settled in the Viking era by a bunch of assholes who'd been kicked out of mainland Scandinavia for being antisocial. Consider for a minute what it meant to be too antisocial for Viking-era Scandinavia. (And they spent the next several generations feuding and murdering each other, read the sagas some time, they're pretty interesting.)

2. Greenland was settled by some people who got kicked out of Iceland for being assholes.

3. Finally, Vinland was discovered by some misfits who were too ornery to get along with the Greenland assholes. Would you really expect these guys to get along with any natives they found anywhere?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It doesn't help that the successful native communities look down on the poorer native communities as well.

They're still all "native solidarity", but definitely in a "Yes, were all native brothers, but heh... HAHA, don't lump us in with those poors please."

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
A lot of canadians are unpleasant, frigid assholes

The first time i travelled outside of canada, i was shocked at how friendly and approachable everyone else was by comparison

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Is there any country where the population doesn't treat their natives like poo poo? Maybe like somewhere in South America or something?

we've let the welsh and Scots become prime minister at least once

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

99% of Canadians are angry that TAX DOLLARS are being wasted, and that the Chiefs are taking the millions the government gives them every year and stealing most of it while letting the Reserves decay and their people suffer. Also, the Reserves are very, very much against government oversight on the way the money is spent.

I often teach First Nations youth, and earlier this year one senior told me her plans after graduation. She's basically going to university so that she can return and try to save her community, which she said has been mismanaged and corrupt her entire life :(

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

littleorv posted:

I'm a Canadian Injun. AMA

How

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

a garbanzo bean posted:

Canadians seem really polite otherwise and in the us natives are mostly forgotten or pitied what's the difference

cause canadians are racist

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Descend to slumber posted:

and are in utter denial about the fact that the residential school system (and other prior attempts at regulating natives) count as an actual genocide.

:rolleyes:
can we make up a new word that means "murdering millions to wipe them out"? Genocide clearly has lost its meaning!

residential schools are not genocide. we could not hide the modern world from these people forever. it wasn't a racist effort that made their way of life irrelevant, it was social progress. we didn't coddle people that wanted to live the lifestyle of an english peasant, we bought their land and made them go work in the cities! native cultures and ways of life were made irrelevant by the modern world a century ago, it doesn't do us or them any good to pretend that they can continue living in the woods or whatever.

the arctic natives are the most egregious case, their material seal hunting culture is made irrelevant by food shipments, welfare payments, and modern housing. this means their culture is completely destroyed, children have zero respect for elders hunting traditions (why would you? you don't need seals to survive you can just go to walmart and spend your $20,000 arctic welfare bonus). we keep them up in the frozen hellscape and ship massive amounts of food to them in order to preserve our claimes to arctic sovereignty. there is no other reason for them to be up there! so we are stuck, its a human rights violation to let them live like nomads in the worst poverty imaginable, but it destroys their culture to modernize them!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

can we make up a new word that means "murdering millions to wipe them out"? Genocide clearly has lost its meaning!

residential schools are not genocide. we could not hide the modern world from these people forever. it wasn't a racist effort that made their way of life irrelevant, it was social progress. we didn't coddle people that wanted to live the lifestyle of an english peasant, we bought their land and made them go work in the cities! native cultures and ways of life were made irrelevant by the modern world a century ago, it doesn't do us or them any good to pretend that they can continue living in the woods or whatever.

the arctic natives are the most egregious case, their material seal hunting culture is made irrelevant by food shipments, welfare payments, and modern housing. this means their culture is completely destroyed, children have zero respect for elders hunting traditions (why would you? you don't need seals to survive you can just go to walmart and spend your $20,000 arctic welfare bonus). we keep them up in the frozen hellscape and ship massive amounts of food to them in order to preserve our claimes to arctic sovereignty. there is no other reason for them to be up there! so we are stuck, its a human rights violation to let them live like nomads in the worst poverty imaginable, but it destroys their culture to modernize them!
Thank you Rutibex of the Toronto Sun for your fine input.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Go look up what residential schools are again and then come back and redo your post

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

a garbanzo bean posted:

Canadians seem really polite otherwise and in the us natives are mostly forgotten or pitied what's the difference

I mean, how many thousands of years without building a single goddam road? Let's be honest, you're pretty fortunate they consider you as higher primates at all and haven't started lockin you up behind bars and charging a loonie a look.

It's like you were playing Civ and by the time everyone had a few wonders built and steam ships, you were still fuckin around with spearmen and hadn't connected any cities. You're just lucky they found you guys before they got in to the nuke tree

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Watermelon posted:

Go look up what residential schools are again and then come back and redo your post

i know what they are. they are not death camps!

yeah some people were mistreated, but the goal of the program was not malicious. it was supposed to teach them english and lets them more easily integrate into white communities, which was supposed to be positive. you do realize that education is mandatory today for native children in Canada just like every child right? if the residential schools were a "cultural genocide" than that genocide continues to this day!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rutibex posted:

yeah some people were mistreated, but the goal of the program was not malicious. it was supposed to teach them english and lets them more easily integrate into white communities, which was supposed to be positive. you do realize that education is mandatory today for native children in Canada just like every child right? if the residential schools were a "cultural genocide" than that genocide continues to this day!

Residential schools were not about education, they were about stamping out a culture thousands of years old in as few generations as possible. They still managed to gently caress things up, though, because priests were still digging shallow graves for children, which goes pretty far beyond mistreated

I cannot believe someone is arguing FOR residential schools, the only other time I've seen this happen the person was kicked out of her program (the Devil's Advocate defense didn't hold up)!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If they wanted to stamp out the culture there were so many better, cheaper and faster ways of doing that, the Russians have made some pretty outstanding innovations in Fueled Air Explosives in the Baltics, while here in the US we seem to prefer selective droning

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

Residential schools were not about education, they were about stamping out a culture thousands of years old in as few generations as possible. They still managed to gently caress things up, though, because priests were still digging shallow graves for children, which goes pretty far beyond mistreated

I cannot believe someone is arguing FOR residential schools, the only other time I've seen this happen the person was kicked out of her program (the Devil's Advocate defense didn't hold up)!

i'm not saying they were run well, i just take exception to calling it "genocide", like we are no better than Nazis or something. if we were nazi then we would have killed them all long ago, and no one would care or remember by now!

the native cultures were made irrelevant by modernity, we didn't do that on purpose. helping them to adjust as quickly as possible is a noble goal

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yaawwwnnn

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
How

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I like how every conversation about another country still turns into a discussion about america.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Canada did not (and does not, to this day) need the First Nations' labour when there is so much immigrant labour available. It didn't (and doesn't) even want it. What it wanted was for FN communities to be more easily governable.

That meant an end to native languages and the imposition of French and English, an end to nomadic agriculture in favour of alloting land and teaching the kids European farming practices, and the dismantling of community relationships.

There was also a culture of complete and utter ambivalence about their wards, which is why about one kid in twenty who went to these schools just straight up loving died, let alone all of the physical and sexual abuse that went on which the various churches of the world still have completely not dealt with.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any countries that treat the previous nations as anything more than 2nd class citizens? I haven't heard of any. The takeaway lesson is: don't lose wars, no matter what.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

Are there any countries that treat the previous nations as anything more than 2nd class citizens? I haven't heard of any. The takeaway lesson is: don't lose wars, no matter what.
It's not even a matter of wars in Canada, it's more of a really awful co-dependent culture of legalism from the Crown (which made a bunch of half-arsed treaties it didn't want to/couldn't enforce without the help of Canadians), the Canadian government (which resents said treaties, mostly) and First Nations (many of which have a weird belief that because they earnestly engaged with the treaties in the first place that means they should mean something).

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
canada is literally british hitler

you heard it here first folks

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
should've let them freeze their asses off in the tundra for another three thousand years IMO

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

spacetoaster posted:

I like how every conversation about another country still turns into a discussion about america.

yeah, loving Canada, thinkin' they part of America, lol.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
White Americans are great, because they will gleefully announce to people that they are 1/16 Cherokee (bullshit), but then look down their nose at dark skinned indigenous people from the radical, totally Metal jungle that was the Mayan Empire

The only experience I've had with Canadians is that they sure do like to have sex with Mexicans and vice versa

It's like that crush you have on the classmate two rows down, but in between you is the guy who sniffs the teachers chair and talks about the Papist Conspiracy all day

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 15, 2016

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

a garbanzo bean posted:

Small town Canadian here, I went to the elementary school that all the reservation kids got funneled to. What I learned is that natives are no more or less lovely than any other person, though most of them have bad family lives. I went on to work for a native owned logging outfit, they were great guys. I guess I was a bit jealous that their paycheques were roughly twice as big as mine for the same work but if several generations of my family had been figuratively as well as literally hosed by the Canadian government I wouldn't pay taxes either.

So yeah, pretty much everyone I've worked with since then has been openly racist against natives, what it comes down to is Canadians are just lovely people in general. Or people are just lovely. Probably the latter.

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Yeah, I've been working with Aboriginals now for about a decade, and seeing the sheer desolation we have done to their culture and then expect them to "suck it up" and "become a positive member of our (white) community" is so loving sad.

Like you listen to their lives, and you realize you will never go through anything that hard in---poo poo I'm getting too serious here.

lol canada hates america for being racist but they just reflect what we really are lol
^

Rutibex posted:

lol

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 15, 2016

PallasAthene
Dec 6, 2010

Why, vixen, have you again set the gods by the ears in the pride and haughtiness of your heart?

No Pants posted:

In those treaties, the local tribes gave up millions of acres of land in exchange for things like special hunting rights on open and unclaimed lands. Since the tribes are sovereign nations, each one defines their own catch limits.

Makes perfect sense in light of the land they gave up. What doesn't make sense is hating them for it. I used to hear stories all the time about Indians riding down the Puyallup or Carbon rivers in a johnboat with clouds of outboard smoke trailing behind, cutting the lines of every fisherman on the shore with a knife and hand-lining the fish the guy was fighting into the boat so they could cut the eggs out to sell to the Japanese and toss the still-flopping fish right back into the water. And Fish & Game was powerless to stop it because of the treaties. I never saw anything remotely close to it.

However, one time an Indian guy saw my friends and I not catching fish with shrimp from Cabela's as bait and came up and showed us how to use a bobber and pink worm to catch steelhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Rutibex posted:

You don't have four kids by any chance, do you? An insane psychopath I know moved to Ottawa recently to dodge child support payments, and he writes long winded harassing text messages just like you do.

• Locked thread