Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

the trump tutelage posted:

If you want to know why Canadians are so lovely about natives in particular then go walk around Thunder Bay. Compassion is easy when the marginalized are elsewhere.

I've been to Thunder Bay, been to Winnipeg, hell I was even in Moose Factory once. Hot tip though, most Canadians live in major cities or burbs and still hate natives.

Passive-aggressively of course, this is still Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PallasAthene posted:

I think someone I met there once mentioned some treaties let the tribes ignore catch limits and fish in some places where other people can't.

This is true in parts of Canada, and they can also use methods which are illegal for other people to use because they're unsustainable and bad.

Frankly, it's more an issue of "some people are greedy, selfish assholes" than a race thing. Many First Nations people hate those people too.

I haven't seen anyone compare the anti-First Nations racism in Canada to anti-gypsy racism in Europe, but that's probably the closest comparison. The bad behaviour of a small fraction (which often has its roots in how they've been treated by the authorities) is used to justify horrible treatment, which only further perpetuates the minority that does all the bad poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Canada keeping the separate but equal dream alive.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

paul_soccer10 posted:

i need these baskets back

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Spoiler alert: if we didn't systematically discriminate against and keep an entire population in perpetual poverty maybe there wouldn't be so many criminals from that impoverished minority?

cnut
May 3, 2016

A Typical Goon posted:

Spoiler alert: if we didn't systematically discriminate against and keep an entire population in perpetual poverty maybe there wouldn't be so many criminals from that impoverished minority?

That's crazy talk!

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFkdOWcNCM

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Dreddout posted:

Counterpoint,

Dude, don't post pictures of my girlfriend.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TlUcsKSbpNI

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
my theory is that every people/country needs someone they can be extremely racist to

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

If you ever read the Indian Act as it was written you start to get the understanding that the government understood that it had hosed up and that the natives were almost wards of the state. Believe it or not, the things that were put in place were all an attempt to make it right with them by forcefully assimilating them into our culture because as far as they were concerned, the natives were savages and their lives would be better off after the transition was made. Of course they were wrong as the road to hell is always paved with good intentions.
That said, even aside from residential schools, the things our government did to them even through the mid 20th century were heinous and I can only regard them as hate crimes. They would move entire towns of people into the tundra with nothing to eat or hunt and then be surprised when half of them starve to death.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BIhUhHbTJ_s

Much like Australia, native people love booze so much they had to ban it.

e: If you ever feel like making money, a $17 bottle of Smirnoff goes for $200

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Frosted Flake posted:

I often wonder why natives tend to hit the bottle so hard and with so much fervor. As a teenager I used to hang out with some natives and I had no problem drinking most people but I couldn't with these guys. An amount that would give me a heavy buzz would make these guys violently drunk and extremely irrational, even for drunks. Over my life I've never seen a native who can drink casually. They either never drink (most of them) or they are completely crippled by the booze. Maybe it's biological, maybe it's because they're so angry, I really don't know.

Also, Americans shouldn't be tut-tutting. They have tons of native reserves with unbelievably bad living conditions and squalor. Here in Canada we've made it a national issue, in the states they just don't give a poo poo.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Tarkus posted:

Maybe it's biological

I believe Natives of the New World (and Australia and New Zealand?) have livers that don't make the enzyme necessary to break down the alcohol molecule (ethanol) and consequently get shitfaced beyond compare.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cnut posted:

I believe Natives of the New World (and Australia and New Zealand?) have livers that don't make the enzyme necessary to break down the alcohol molecule (ethanol) and consequently get shitfaced beyond compare.

oh the racists and the :biotruths: comings out of the woodwork again

cnut
May 3, 2016

Lichy posted:

oh the racists and the :biotruths: comings out of the woodwork again

Really? My apologies, educate me then.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
this is the first time i clicked on this thread. Canadians are awful to natives because they never fought a war that made them think, hey, maybe the thing I am doing to this other human being might be wrong. They live their lives, see the only other 60 people they will ever see, and die happy

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cnut posted:

alcohol dehydrogenase is a social construct, furthermore

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
it is good.
it is bad.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cnut posted:

but seriously in this particular case there is some evidence that their genetics are more or less in order

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM197601012940103

for Asian populations though what you said generally holds true

however you don't see Asian countries collapsing because of booze so maybe there are more interesting factors at play

Bulgogi Hoagie fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 25, 2016

cnut
May 3, 2016

Lichy posted:

but seriously in this particular case there is some evidence that their genetics are more or less in order

however you don't see Asian countries collapsing because of booze so maybe there are more interesting factors at play

Excellent! Thanks for fighting ignorance :) I agree it is a complex problem and I sure as gently caress don't have any answers :eng99:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Lichy posted:

it's the tiger moms, moose moms just can't compare

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cnut posted:

Excellent! Thanks for fighting ignorance :) I agree it is a complex problem and I sure as gently caress don't have any answers :eng99:

it's cool I was only calling you a racist ironically friend :byob1:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lichy posted:

maybe because the first Americans didn't let stuff lie around until it became booze.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Lichy posted:

it's cool I was only calling you a racist ironically friend :byob1:

Thanks, man. I didn't even pull out the "I have Native friends and furthermore..." bullshit, lol.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

cnut posted:

Thanks, man. I didn't even pull out the "I have Native friends and furthermore..." bullshit, lol.

but I would like to hear about your native friends

cnut
May 3, 2016

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

but I would like to hear about your native friends

They are awesome, friendly, loyal, funny, and helpful (when I try to fish, very badly, they don't laugh and just give me pointers) And furthermore...

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

cnut posted:

They are awesome, friendly, loyal, funny, and helpful (when I try to fish, very badly, they don't laugh and just give me pointers) And furthermore...

please don't kill them because you want their land. they sound cool

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

cnut posted:

careful, spending too much time in the company of a minority causes cultural appropriation

it's a very terrible disease and can only be cured by locking yourself in your room and taking measured doses of white guilt

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Tarkus posted:

I often wonder why natives tend to hit the bottle so hard and with so much fervor. As a teenager I used to hang out with some natives and I had no problem drinking most people but I couldn't with these guys. An amount that would give me a heavy buzz would make these guys violently drunk and extremely irrational, even for drunks. Over my life I've never seen a native who can drink casually. They either never drink (most of them) or they are completely crippled by the booze. Maybe it's biological, maybe it's because they're so angry, I really don't know.

Also, Americans shouldn't be tut-tutting. They have tons of native reserves with unbelievably bad living conditions and squalor. Here in Canada we've made it a national issue, in the states they just don't give a poo poo.

your post about the Indian act was pretty thoughtful so I'm surprised you didn't put together that the answer to your question as to why there's such a problem with alcohol stems from intergenerational trauma from that very Act.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Lichy posted:

careful, spending too much time in the company of a minority causes cultural appropriation

it's a very terrible disease and can only be cured by locking yourself in your room and taking measured doses of white guilt

That's OK, I stay away from universities and Tumblr :smug:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It's summer so if you go downtown in Ottawa, Sudbury, North Bay, or Thunder Bay there will be drunk natives on the street, in parks, in storefronts. For some reason they are either very young or very old. Where are all the 20-40 year old native people?

I dread walking down Rideau Street because there are crowds of them on the stretch between the Beer Store and LCBO. :canada:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Frosted Flake posted:

It's summer so if you go downtown in Ottawa, Sudbury, North Bay, or Thunder Bay there will be drunk natives on the street, in parks, in storefronts. For some reason they are either very young or very old. Where are all the 20-40 year old native people?

I dread walking down Rideau Street because there are crowds of them on the stretch between the Beer Store and LCBO. :canada:

the lost residential school generation

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Canadians aren't natives

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Frosted Flake posted:

The old ones are the ones that never figured it out. The young ones are the ones that have yet to figure it out and haven't got a job yet and got the gently caress off the res.

The middle ones figured it out, and got a job and a car and home and just live wherever, not hanging around in front of a liquor store.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Frosted Flake posted:

Hard core alchoholsim has a pre-mature aging effect, as does hanging out outside all the time. So some of those "very old" people could be 30.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Frosted Flake posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteclay,_Nebraska

This town literally only exists to sell alcohol to natives since the nearby reservation is a dry zone. It's actually almost impressive in how blatant it is.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The old ones are the ones that never figured it out. The young ones are the ones that have yet to figure it out and haven't got a job yet and got the gently caress off the res.

The middle ones figured it out, and got a job and a car and home and just live wherever, not hanging around in front of a liquor store.

Many of them, also, are incarcerated.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Original_Z posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiteclay,_Nebraska

This town literally only exists to sell alcohol to natives since the nearby reservation is a dry zone. It's actually almost impressive in how blatant it is.

I did some math, @ 13,000 cans of beer sold alone, by the number of liquor stores @ 12 hours open every day, each store is selling a 12 pack of beer every 3 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ork of Fiction posted:

Many of them, also, are incarcerated.

Nah, they're Alternately Housed.

• Locked thread