Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Ginette Reno posted:

With the 21st overall pick the Pittsburgh Penguins are pleased to select Tyler Johnson

U motherfuxket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Is there a good site for depth charts and stuff

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Technetium posted:

Is there a good site for depth charts and stuff

I like http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ lineups portion for quick verification.
http://www.dobberhockey.com/ line combos for more detailed info (I like this one because you can drill-down to player info including salary and contract length, which might turn out useful for this exercise).

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The RECAPITATOR posted:

I like http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ lineups portion for quick verification.
http://www.dobberhockey.com/ line combos for more detailed info (I like this one because you can drill-down to player info including salary and contract length, which might turn out useful for this exercise).

The Dobber ones are almost what I'm looking for (all teams listed on same page) but I don't want ones relying on recent lineup data. The dobber ones in particular list the same players multiple times due to lineup shuffling and the dailyfaceoff ones are simultaneously up to date and out of date (Matt Martin and Sam Carrick on the Leafs roster?) and hard to read.

I think this is the closest thing I've found so far http://www.rosterresource.com/nhl-boston-bruins/ but I'd rather have one page showing all team and it's almost too much information/not info I want. Or this http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/depth-charts/nhl.aspx but it doesn't have everyone (has Matt Martin, does not have Nylander?).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, so, I got DailyFaceoff, DobberHockey, OwnThePuck, GeneralFanager.

I used ExtraSkater last time and that's gone, and apparently war-on-ice is gone too, so what's the good advanced stats site? HockeyAnalysis? Puckalytics?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Whoops.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 6, 2016

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I think I'm back up with the laptop, can participate in the draft (thanks for stepping up tofes)

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Starsfan posted:

I think I'm back up with the laptop, can participate in the draft (thanks for stepping up tofes)

You or tofes can take over for Brodeur's Nanny

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

VJeff posted:

Okay, so, I got DailyFaceoff, DobberHockey, OwnThePuck, GeneralFanager.

I used ExtraSkater last time and that's gone, and apparently war-on-ice is gone too, so what's the good advanced stats site? HockeyAnalysis? Puckalytics?

I've been using Corsica ever since waronice went down, its ok and has some cool features. Miss the visualizations waronice had though.

e: that and own the puck's hero charts which are great for quick looks at players, bad for making sound judgments

Technetium fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 6, 2016

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

ThinkTank posted:

Fill your picks into the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USAL3-EVziJcfWq-CTtAQETjt5AFZCGFXdOc8PpsFR4/edit

You can look up a player's salary on generalfanager.ca or a similar site.

I'll probably need a someone to be my proxy to write my pick into the doc, since I'll likely be at work which blocks google docs (and all such services). I do have access to SA, so I can just post my pick in here and ... magic?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Look at all these failures picking based on fancy stats. Enjoy all those low truculence midgets and floaty Euros that cant pass the eye test. :smug:

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
lol if you're not drafting based on intangibles

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Metapod posted:

lol if you're not drafting based on intangibles

I am drafting by the 3 metrics that count

Grit

Character

Leadership

Team Foxhole

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

behindthenet's alright. I usually google "player name wowy" and read the usage tables on hockeyanalysis.com to judge if the player is actually good or just being carried by better linemates.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Do you still need a replacement for Brodeur's Nanny or has that been sorted out?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Alright. My pick is picked and written up. Tomorrow at 10ish, IT BEGINS. :911:

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

it better be Jimmy Howard

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Habibi posted:

Do you still need a replacement for Brodeur's Nanny or has that been sorted out?

Yeah so far it's still up in the air. Want it?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
With the 1st overall pick, the Detroit Red Wings select, from the Washington Capitals...

ALEX OVECHKIN
Position: Left Wing
Cap Hit: $9,538,461 until 2021

First off, elephant in the room - he's going into his age 31 season. He's not a young man anymore. But he doesn't seem to care about that, because he keeps banking 50 goal seasons every year. He has by far the best ratio of G/60 and PPG/60 relative to his ice time since he came into the league. He has three Harts, six Rocket Richards, an Art Ross, four Gold Medals -- I can list accolades and stats all day, but you know who he is and how he works. He sits at the left circle and he shoots it past the goalie and they can't do poo poo about it and he does it a LOT.

Let's not overthink this. Alex Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of our generation, possibly the greatest goal scorer of all time. He has a lot left in the tank. He's durable as hell (he's missed maybe 10 games in the last half-decade). He's a great leader. And most importantly, yeah I could take some young center and there's one I ALMOST picked over Ovechkin, but here's the thing. I don't want that guy, I want Ovechkin. And there's absolutely no way Ovechkin makes it back to me 59 picks later and he's the guy I actually want. I want to contend immediately, I wanna make the playoffs and I wanna score a shitton of goals while I do it and to do that, you need an elite goal scorer and flat out, there isn't anyone on this planet better at scoring goals than Alex Ovechkin.

Let's go light the goddamn lamp.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's unexpected.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

That's unexpected.

First overall pick is a curse in these things. Ovie's a better choice than Hall, but I know who I'm taking at that spot.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

VJeff posted:

With the 1st overall pick, the Detroit Red Wings select, from the Washington Capitals...

ALEX OVECHKIN

I want to contend immediately, I wanna make the playoffs and I wanna score a shitton of goals while I do it and to do that, you need an elite goal scorer and flat out, there isn't anyone on this planet better at scoring goals than Alex Ovechkin.

Yeah but do you want to also WIN the cup?

All jokes aside OVI is still a strong number 1 pick, he's still got a couple of 50 goal seasons left.

i am the bird you are on the clock.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ThinkTank posted:

First overall pick is a curse in these things. Ovie's a better choice than Hall, but I know who I'm taking at that spot.

As long as he's better than Tyler Johnson, I'm good.

Main thing is I wanted Ovi and this is the only time I was gonna get him. There was another guy I came very close to, though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah Ovie is a fine choice, and like VJeff says you have to take him here if you want him, cuz he's not coming around. I'd still take one of two centers though, or possibly even a D.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The Los Angeles Kings would first like to congratulate the Pittsburgh Penguins for the last Cup they'll ever win in franchise history.

With the second overall pick, Los Angeles is proud to select Connor "4real" McDavid.

CONNOR McDAVID
Position: Center
Cap Hit: $925,000

McJesus serves as this franchise's foundation as an undisputed #1 center. At 19, he makes the Kings competitive today, tomorrow, and forever. And thanks to terrific labor laws, we only have to pay him a cool million, giving us room in later rounds to spend insane amounts of cash where it really matters: on 37 year old grinders and third pairing functionally-immobile shutdown defensemen.

Last season, lil ConCon showed the world that he's the best player to ever grace planet earth and he only played 45 loving games, y'all. He already won the Calder on his path to winning every NHL trophy in existence, including a Vezina at age 48 when he returns from retirement as a goaltender for the NHL's latest expansion team, the Seattle Grinding Frasiers. In the present, Connor is excited to join our make believe franchise where he will no longer have to play in a frozen tundra of sadness. He's stoked to come to Cali where he can continue to work on his surfing form.

IT'S CONNOR

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah that's the dude I would've taken. Short of a bizarre sophmore slump or another injury, he'll be challenging for the Art Ross this season.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ovie is a terrible #1 pick, sorry.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
McDavid is definitely the most valuable player in this draft and I'm not sure he won't be the best player in it over the next three seasons.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
He's just so young too and plus the ELC. It's hard to pass that up.

It's not like Ovechkin is way off the board though.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ovie is still the best pure goal scorer in the league and his defensive game has improved significantly over the last 2 seasons, so its not like it was some off the wall pick like we have seen before.

Also I woke up early thinking Id be holding everyone up and youve only done 2 picks. Now my pick is probably going to come up while Im at work. :argh:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

No time for a write-up since I gotta leave for work, but with the 3rd overall pick the Flyers select Centre Steven Stamkos.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Furnaceface posted:

Ovie is still the best pure goal scorer in the league and his defensive game has improved significantly over the last 2 seasons, so its not like it was some off the wall pick like we have seen before.

On the powerplay, yes. 5v5, he's not in the top 5 in G/60 over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Infidel Castro posted:

No time for a write-up since I gotta leave for work, but with the 3rd overall pick the Flyers select Centre Steven Stamkos.

Not sure I get this one given the uh other centers available

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm not convinced Stamkos is one of the top 5 centres in the league, let alone one of the top 5 players. This draft is weird.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Stamkos has a very good contract. That is my opinion on Steven stamkos.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Not that he's overpaid or anything, but I think his contract looks better than it is only because he turned down inflated UFA offers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

Stamkos has a very good contract. That is my opinion on Steven stamkos.

It's ok. It's not amazing.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
With the Well I loving Guess So pick in the draft, the San Jose Sharks Sharks Sharks Sharks Sharks select Sidney Crosby

I am selecting Crosby because I have no idea why he wasn't already, and now I guess I'm building a team of guys with punchable faces, who are really good and everyone hates for some reason

e: seriously, look at this loving face

It looks like Zach Braff got stung by bees

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I was gonna take Crosby, but with him and McDavid both gone, the Edmonton Oilers take Erik Karlsson

A strong D-core is paramount to winning, and Karlsson is far and away the best blueliner in the league. A defenseman scoring at a point per game is obscene in the NHL today, and Karlsson does it while still being solid at shot suppression.

• Locked thread