Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

With the 20th overall pick the Chicago Blackhawks select Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

He's about to turn 25, he scores a lot, he's signed for 3 more years at $5.5 per, and he has great fancy stats on a team with abysmal possession. Maybe 20th is too high for him - but the way the league treats #1D these days and with his age and AAV I don't think there's a better value right now.

Everybody knows OEL is good but now that he's in Chicago and not Arizona he should get the recognition he deserves.

And, if nothing else, I know he can be a stud on an awful team. I'd like to think I can draft a better team than the Arizona Coyotes, but if when I don't, then my #1 defenseman will at least be used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I really like him. The pick may be a bit early but he definitely wouldn't have gotten back to you.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I was huffing glue and pretending he'd be around at my next pick. Great selection

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I gotta go with Evgeni Malkin. He's been injury prone the last few years but when healthy he's about as dominant a player as there is. He's also shown on numerous occasions that when Crosby goes down he doesn't get any less dominant - hell he actually gets even moreso, so I have no worry about him being the guy running a team.

e: Metapod and Technetium up next

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 7, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
OEL is good. Predicting who will still be around is a mug's game, just take the guy you like the most (who also fulfills your bizarre drafting restrictions, if applicable).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Metapod, tech, then lazerwolf are up next.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Ginette Reno posted:

I gotta go with Evgeni Malkin. He's been injury prone the last few years but when healthy he's about as dominant a player as there is. He's also shown on numerous occasions that when Crosby goes down he doesn't get any less dominant - hell he actually gets even moreso, so I have no worry about him being the guy running a team.

e: Metapod and Technetium up next

Thanks for not making me pick Malkin who coincidentally fell out of the Top Ten this year (as he should've last year too because of injuries/age)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Technetium posted:

Thanks for not making me pick Malkin who coincidentally fell out of the Top Ten this year (as he should've last year too because of injuries/age)

Malkin's long history of not playing full seasons concerns me a lot but he's just so good I couldn't pass him up. It's not like he has a history of concussions or anything so I see no reason why he can't turn around his bad injury luck.

e: As for the age well, should still have 4 or 5 more seasons of being elite, maybe longer if I'm lucky

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm going with Braden Holtby because having a good goalie seems important. Now point and laugh as you tell me why he isn't a good goalie.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

All these teams winning Cups surely have elite goalies...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm probably the biggest goalie homer on this board and even I wouldn't pick a goalie in the first round.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Just makes room for all the gritty scrappy players later on imo

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He's a really good goalie. I probably wouldn't pick him here but you never know when the goalie run will start and you'll be left as Dallas.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Holtby and Price are the most defensible ones right now and yeah, you never know when it's gonna be a land rush on goalies and you're still twenty picks away, but it's still reeeeaaally early.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

VJeff posted:

Holtby and Price are the most defensible ones right now and yeah, you never know when it's gonna be a land rush on goalies and you're still twenty picks away, but it's still reeeeaaally early.

Picoe is wrth 16 p to his team.

Tell me a 1A dman is worth 16 points.

Price rules others drool

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

VJeff posted:

To be great you must be the shepherd not the sheep i have no idea what I'm doing

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

1. Ovechkin
4. Crosby
21. Malkin

THIS MAKES SENSE.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

eXXon posted:

1. Ovechkin
4. Crosby
21. Malkin

THIS MAKES SENSE.

makes you think

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Well I'm going to take the (almost) point per game 22 year old winger who had 30 goals and 31 primary assists last year with JOHNNY HOCKEY.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Surprised he hasn't gone already. Great pick.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The Minnesota Wild are proud to select from the University of Wisconsin, Joe Pavelski.

Second to OVI, Pavelski leads all NHL players in goals over the last three seasons and he's 6th in points. We like his strong faceoff and possession numbers. 4th among forwards in shifts per game we know we can build a solid team around him and he has all the intangibles to captain a team to the Stanley Cup. Plus he's a good ol' American boy

Welcome to the club, Joe Pavelski

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Paulocaust, Kaner was the other player I was considering when I took Seguin. I think Kane is likely the better player overall; the thing that swayed me toward Seguin instead was the cap hit. I don't care how good he is, I can't justify spending roughly 14% of my cap on a single player.

lazerwolf, I'm not sure Pavelski is the center I would've taken there, but he's still drat good.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Too early for Pavs, but not too too early. He's awesome.

Who's next?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
pavelski is way overrated

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, Tootoo would be REALLY early right now.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Too early for Pavs, but not too too early. He's awesome.

Who's next?

eXXon is on the clock

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I will take 20-year old hulking two-way center Aleksander Barkov, Jr. partly because he's a good young hockey mans who projects to be a Selke winner at some point over his reasonable contract, partly because I expect him to look even better on a competently-managed Panthers team next season (losing some puck luck but gaining all important corsis), and partly to engender controversy and debate like "way too soon wtf why didn't you take xxx" or "wow yeah he's really good but that's risky" or "faaaart".

Habibi is supposedly up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
gently caress I was hoping Barkov would fall

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Me too. I'm obsessed with the guy. He's 21 and on an amazing contract and he's emerging as the new Kopitar real fast.

This leaves one more player who I really really hope will fall to me.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Oh poo poo I'm up! Wow I'm surprised this next pick fell.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I had Barkov and Gaudreau and a couple of other good young guys I can't talk about on my dumb prospect team a few years back buying low baby

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

The Winnipeg Jets are delighted to select with the 26th-overall pick Drew Doughty.

I believe he should have gone top 15 considering he's been a leading player in possession analytics for years, is locked up for another 3 years at $7m, and is still just 26 years old with multiple Cups.

I want my team to be built on skating and possession, which is an obvious strategy, and there are very very few defensemen who are better than Doughty with respect to that strategy.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm gonna send Ginette my picks. Unless all of you beautiful late round posters can pick in the next hour or so.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Veskit is up, then me.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

The Winnipeg Jets are delighted to select with the 26th-overall pick Drew Doughty.

I believe he should have gone top 15 considering he's been a leading player in possession analytics for years, is locked up for another 3 years at $7m, and is still just 26 years old with multiple Cups.

I want my team to be built on skating and possession, which is an obvious strategy, and there are very very few defensemen who are better than Doughty with respect to that strategy.

I was considering Doughty but I picked him once before so I decided to try something new. Still like him and he should have gone before a lot of other defenseman

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lazerwolf posted:

I was considering Doughty but I picked him once before so I decided to try something new. Still like him and he should have gone before a lot of other defenseman

There were only 5 defensemen picked before him....

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

There were only 5 defensemen picked before him....

I think Doughty should have been picked after Karlsson and Ekblad. He's 26 and dominant at both ends of the ice, has multiple Cups, and routinely has league-leading possession analytics. And he's only making $7m. I'd take him over Subban.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

it is extremely generous to call drew doughty dominant at both ends of the ice in light of what actually dominant offensive d-men are doing these days

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I found this in the lobby, somebody plz contact the Pens GM and DONT QUOTE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

it is extremely generous to call drew doughty dominant at both ends of the ice in light of what actually dominant offensive d-men are doing these days

I'll give it to you that he doesn't rack up points the way Burns and Karlsson do but he is one of the absolute best D in the league at transition passing/skating.

• Locked thread