Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
ANY GOOD GM KNOWS THAT THEY SHOULD WORK BACKWORDS IN, IF YOU GET WHAT I'M SAYING.

I'M SAYING I'M THE GM WHOS GOING TO PUSH EVERYONE poo poo IN, WITH THE BACKWARDS IN STRATEGY.

With that the boston bruins select a man who looks like he's had his fair share of either being covered in poo poo or dealing with poo poo. GIVE IT UP FOR BRENT, BUURNNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I think Doughty should have been picked after Karlsson and Ekblad. He's 26 and dominant at both ends of the ice, has multiple Cups, and routinely has league-leading possession analytics. And he's only making $7m. I'd take him over Subban.

well, you're wrong

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I would not take him over Subban if they had the same salary, but the fact that he makes $2m less makes him more coveted for me. His analytics relative to his team are a little lower than I thought but they're still excellent over his career. Getting him at 26 is something I did not think would happen.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Caroline Hurricanes are proud to select Dougie Hamilton.

He's got a rare combination of size (6'6) and skill (21st in defensive scoring over the past two seasons, consistently strong possession stats) and is one of very few defensemen able to jump into the NHL and play meaningful minutes as a teenager. He's turning 23 this season and is locked up for another 6 5 years on a very reasonable deal. Because of circumstance he may not be a true #1 in the NHL, but there's no question that he'll be the #1 on Calgary by the time his deal is up. He'll be the rock around which the Hurricanes defense is anchored.

e: the talent deficit is up, then T-Bone, then we loop back around.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 7, 2016

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I would not take him over Subban if they had the same salary, but the fact that he makes $2m less makes him more coveted for me. His analytics relative to his team are a little lower than I thought but they're still excellent over his career. Getting him at 26 is something I did not think would happen.

subban scored 1.21 p/60 last year at 5v5, doughty scored 0.64

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tofes posted:

subban scored 1.21 p/60 last year at 5v5, doughty scored 0.64

Doughty spent the last half of the season paired with a literal pylon who shall remain nameless and hopefully undrafted.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

T-Bone posted:

gently caress I was hoping Barkov would fall

gently caress, me too

It feels like everybody left by the third round is going to be crap

edit: also, I didn't pick Doughty because I don't like him and he's on the Kings

FBS fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 8, 2016

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Doughty spent the last half of the season paired with a literal pylon who shall remain nameless and hopefully undrafted.

wow kind of a dick thing to say about brayden mcnabb

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

eXXon posted:

I will take 20-year old hulking two-way center Aleksander Barkov, Jr. partly because he's a good young hockey mans who projects to be a Selke winner at some point over his reasonable contract, partly because I expect him to look even better on a competently-managed Panthers team next season (losing some puck luck but gaining all important corsis), and partly to engender controversy and debate like "way too soon wtf why didn't you take xxx" or "wow yeah he's really good but that's risky" or "faaaart".

Habibi is supposedly up.

Barkov was the other player I waffled between super hard but I couldn't pass up a point per game even if I sacrifice size, centreness, age and probably defense.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Are we talking Scuderi?
I think you're allowed to skirt the "don't mention undrafted players" rule when they're empirically terrible.

Also let it be known I think it is a dumb rule. Stifling legitimate conversation/berating in the hope that someone not mentioning your "diamond in the rough" prospect lets him be forgotten is silly

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 8, 2016

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Holy amazeballs did dougie fn hamilton just go in the first goddamn round

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

stab posted:

Holy amazeballs did dougie fn hamilton just go in the first goddamn round

Almost as crazy as taking Tyler Johnson in the top ten

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The talent deficit is skipped and tbone is up. (Ginette reno has his picks?)

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Jordan7hm posted:

The Caroline Hurricanes are proud to select Dougie Hamilton.

Because of circumstance he may not be a true #1 in the NHL, but there's no question that he'll be the #1 on Calgary by the time his deal is up. He'll be the rock around which the Hurricanes defense is anchored.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh there certainly is a question and the answer is you're wrong

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

gimme roman josi. i wanted brent burns :(

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 8, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

The talent deficit is skipped and tbone is up. (Ginette reno has his picks?)

T-Bone wants Toews and Giroux for his picks.

Talent Deficit is up again I guess.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

oh i gotta pick again, john klingberg

josi and klingberg, combined, almost equal a karlsson

jordan7hm is up

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 8, 2016

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oof. That's two I was hoping would drop based in the Nobody Gives A poo poo About Southern Hockey rule. :(

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

the talent deficit posted:

oh i gotta pick again, john klingberg

josi and klingberg, combined, almost equal a karlsson

jordan7hm is up

That's a really nice first pair

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Klingberg was actually giving OEL a run for his money at #20.

Oliver's a better two-way player and I was wary that John's fancy stats were way too inflated by playing on the Stars so OEL won out.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

FBS posted:

Klingberg was actually giving OEL a run for his money at #20.

Oliver's a better two-way player and I was wary that John's fancy stats were way too inflated by playing on the Stars so OEL won out.

i'll trade you klingberg for oel and a 9th round pick if you are having second thoughts. let me know

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

the talent deficit posted:

i'll trade you klingberg for oel and a 9th round pick if you are having second thoughts. let me know

You can have him for Klingberg, plus your next four 1sts, aka the "Jacob Trouba Special"

FBS fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 8, 2016

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The talent deficit with Josi and Klingberg, gently caress. That's a solid top pair. Two guys that were on my radar for sure

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

good job taking two defensemen also congrats on not getting a first line center

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Giroux playing for the Devils is a travesty. Good pick, though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey remember in the first one of these when my first three picks were kovalchuk, e.staal and dustin brown?

Good times.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Last year Eichel went 25th, and I figure that's probably comparable to this pick.

The Carolina Hurricanes select Patrik Laine.

The 6'4 winger has drawn comparisons to Alexander Ovechkin and Corey Perry for his combination of size, skill, and shooting prowess. He's had a hell of a year. He announced himself with a bang at the WJC, putting up 13 points in 7 games en route to a gold medal, followe by a Jari Kurri Trophy as the Liiga playoff MVP, and capping his season off with 12 points in 10 games at the World Cup, where he also won the awards for MVP and best forward.

I'm not sure if building around a star winger is the right move (cough Washington cough), but considering age, current ability, and potential, I couldn't let Laine go by.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

tofes posted:

good job taking two defensemen also congrats on not getting a first line center

there's a million centers left and they're all roughly equivalent. there's like three dmen left i actually want on my team

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Am I up?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

VJeff posted:

Hey remember in the first one of these when my first three picks were kovalchuk, e.staal and dustin brown?

Good times.

That would still be a good first line today in the KHL.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vestkit is up.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Usually gambles on top prospects pay off later in the draft than your second pick.

Let me tell you about the first draft where I picked Yakupov in the third round and Kucherov roughly 15 later.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Usually gambles on top prospects pay off later in the draft than your second pick.

Let me tell you about the first draft where I picked Yakupov in the third round and Kucherov roughly 15 later.

Maybe. The Eichel and McDavid picks last year were good though. I don't think anyone was ever that high on Yakupov.

Ekblad fell to the 151st pick in his draft year. Yeesh.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Panarin was in the 300s last year. Even writing him off as a by-product of Kane's stupid-good season I have to imagine he makes the biggest jump.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jordan7hm posted:

The Carolina Hurricanes select Patrik Laine.

Well now if he has a disappointing rookie season then I know who to blame. :colbert:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Vestkit is up.

poo poo I HAVE LIKE 5 MINUTES TO MAKE A BAD DECISION

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Boo to the son of a bitch that took Josi.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

The Boston Bruins, almost forfeiting their pick, decide to go with a defensemen without the finesse of Brent Bruns, nor the wow factor, and none of the excitement for sure, and definitely without any charisma, but he's 100% american, and 100% going to be on absolutely every promotional piece out there.

The Bostons Bruins select, RYAN, SNNOOOOOOOOOOZEBUTTON SUTER

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Boo to the son of a bitch that took Burns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I'm at work but ready when my pick comes. I know it's soon.

• Locked thread