Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Boomer is skipped, Otis Reddit has until 3:54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Otis got skipped at 3:54, The RECAPITATOR is being skipped still, so Paulocaust can pick whenever but was skipped at 5:54 and stab is up

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

FBS, Ginette Reno, Metapod, Technetium are all skipped, lazerwolf is up

i say we switch to the 1 hour rule now and kill these last rounds off

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

give me Reid Boucher

Furnaceface is up

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Veskit posted:

I'll pick later when I'm off work I didn't realize the second was immediate.

Also if you guys are doing a 1 pick per day thing it'd be super down.

Jordan7hm posted:

Lets start that thursday at 10am. That gives time to finish this round off.

so tomorrow starting at 10am, what are we doing? one round of picks per day and whoever can pick whenever?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I'll take Darcy Kuemper

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Can I change my pick quickly if he still hasn't been taken?

no

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

happy round 20, the Panthers take Brendan Gaunce

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

smith is real good still despite being forever years old, that's a Nice pick

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i am the bird posted:

I guess I just realized I'm way below the floor. Uhhhh.

don't worry, there are still several very expensive players left. some of them are even still physically capable of playing hockey!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Mike Hoffman - Matt Duchene- Anthony Duclair
David Perron - Martin Hanzal - Michael Frolik
Philip Di Giuseppe - Mikael Backlund - Sven Andrighetto
Reid Boucher - Brendan Gaunce - the super cool guy I am drafting tomorrow morning

Victor Hedman - Damon Severson
Hampus Lindholm - Josh Manson
Jake McCabe - Alexei Marchenko

James Reimer
Darcy Kuemper

Alain Vigneault

I wish I could have gotten a better 2LW than Perron but I think he fits with Hanzal/Frolik, and ultimately I like my team a lot and think it's one of the best puck moving teams drafted

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I take RW Sam Gagner

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I'll take Jiri Tlusty. he doesn't have a contract but whatever this is pretend, he's been a valuable bottom six player for a bunch of years in a row and everyone sucks

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I need a coach so I'll take Gerard Gallant because he seems competent.

i would make the argument that he can feign competence, and that is better than a lot of people can do. he also seems willing to change things when shown that he is wrong, and those are 2 traits sorely lacking in a lot of head ocaches

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I'll take Dylan Mcilrath because I'm shocked he's still available.

great pick

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

lehner went awhile back

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I take nate schmidt for my 7d

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i am tingling with anticipation to make my last pick

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the Florida Panthers select center Peter Holland with their final draft choice. he is at the least a reliable center who can slot in on the 4th line or bump up to the 3rd and hold his weight even if a little shakily. his 5v5 points production has been solid and he is a positive at shot suppression even if it's not a big one.

Mike Hoffman - Matt Duchene - Anthony Duclair
David Perron - Martin Hanzal - Michael Frolik
Phillip Di Giuseppe - Mikael Backlund - Sven Andrighetto
Reid Boucher - Brendan Gaunce - Sam Gagner
(Jiri Tlusty - Peter Holland)

Victor Hedman - Damon Severson
Hampus Lindholm - Josh Manson
Jake McCabe - Alexei Marchenko
(Nate Schmidt)

James Reimer
Darcy Kuemper

Alain Vigneault

I feel like I have great depth and if the young guys I have wouldn't be able to stay afloat, Holland and Tlusty are good players to rotate in and at least demonstrate some competence in the bottom six. All of those forwards seem good at moving the puck and good at transitioning between zones with the puck. I have two of the top 10 D-men in the league and I filled out the rest of that group with dudes who are going to be top 4 or better for the next few years. the stats on Reimer suggest that he is a good+ goalie who has spent his seasons getting crushed under the unbearable pressure of playing behind the Toronto Maple Leafs defense, and Kuemper is a reliable backup who is about to hit his peak. Doctor Vigneault will be diagnosing cases of red face and deploying these players in their most favorable situations, and my team has no worthless plugs for him to become deeply, stalkerishly infatuated with. I am under the cap floor for the moment but once Hampus signs an extension that will be fixed.\

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

T-Bone posted:

he's not big enough to be picked twice sadly

cut him in half down the middle so that both eXXon and Jordan can have a Logan Brown

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

stab posted:

so what are we going to do for the guys who dropped out? like theres one guy who's 30 mil under the floor lmao

let's all get together and communally draft him his last 10 players or whatever

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ginette reno already took t-mac

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Not unhappy with a single player I have.

you should be

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

jake bean is the hockiest name i've heard in a while. you managed to draft a lot of islanders

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

jake bean just got bested

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Who on my team is an albatross/possession black hole that I don't know about? Parise has a bad contract because of the length, but it's the only bad contract I can see, and it's not like Parise still won't be really good for several more seasons. Pirri isn't great but he had a down year and if he signs somewhere he'll come up with 15+ goals and help my powerplay. My fourth line is three guys with awesome fancies, including one of the best young shutdown forwards in the league. Cole/Postma aren't too good but they're serviceable considering they're 6th/7th D, especially Postma, who is fast and has had good fancies his entire career in limited playing time.

the issue with your team is that all of your lines except the top would be constantly losing the shot differential battle and overall losing the goal differential battle as a result. you drafted a bunch of good offensive players but your top 9 is littered with dudes who are bad at shot suppression and so is your non-top pair on D. your good defensive players are basically incapable of driving offense and all stacked up on one line anyway. brian elliott is good but he's also several years past his physical prime now, and has never played all that much in a season so who knows how good he's going to be when he's getting twice as many minutes as he ever has before. i think your team is still above average and would make the playoffs in this theoretical league but i think they'd get exposed by the lack of depth and lack of defensive ability of most of your dudes and would look like shook rear end bitches

e: also a lot of bad goal differentials over multiple seasons, and a lot of bad relative goal differentials, and lots of dudes who look bad via expected goals (basically a measurement of shot quality)

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 16, 2016

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Ah I saw you said "every line but the top" just now. I dunno Kadri/Steen drive shot differential as far as I see. And Buchnevich looks good.

they both have positive differentials but they are getting killed on the defensive end, it's just that they are players where the offensive boost is more than the defensive loss. will that stay true for steen (and parise, and bergeron) as they get into their mid 30s? what happens when you put a bunch of dudes who are bad at suppressing shots on the same line (like what your second line is)? beleskey is also bad at shot suppression, pirri is horrific at it. hamonic is also really bad at it, and he might be a little better at it when he's not seeing as many top pairs, but over the course of the season how big of a difference will that really be? cole is worthless, and pysyk has great possession numbers but his expected goal differential is majorly negative and that's cause for concern even if i'm high on him. when i say your depth is gonna get exposed, i mean obviously you have good scoring depth, but the only good defensive player in your middle six is karlsson. you are relying a lot on werenski to anchor a shallow defense, and a lot on some aging goal scorers to overcome a lot of questionable defensive players. if elliott is average over 55-60 games, your team is going to struggle because of how much other teams would outshoot you

T-Bone posted:

someone be a man and do power rankings (WITH goddamn blurbs) I simmed this entire loving thing last year

i could (slowly) do some short fancy-stats based write-ups about the teams if people were interested in reading my dumb words

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Here's basically what I think in terms of goals scored. Also, interesting about Kadri/Steen, yeah they're not good defensively but they generate a lot of shots/offense and I hope I'll be fine with that. I can just as easily put Steen with Bergeron and Simmonds and Parise with Kadri and Buchnevich to balance it out but I dunno if I'd want to, because that first line is gonna be pretty dominant.

That's 39 from the defense, giving me 260 goals, and that's with scaling down for guys like Parise/Steen and without accounting for "what if Buchnevich is awesome" or "what if Mantha puts up 15." I don't think it's actually a 260-goal roster, so maybe the bottom six scores less and puts me at 240-250, but that's a lot of goals and no matter how iffy my forwards are defensively in the middle of the lineup, that's one of hardest teams to face in the league.

steen and kadri didn't even score 20 goals this past season getting first line icetime; why would they do it getting second line icetime?
now pretend i said this for all the other players you overestimated for, too

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Talk about how my team is 20/23 NCAA alumni and therefore smarter than every other team

i will do my best to evaluate everyone's teams in context of their drafting gimmicks. for example, whatever the hell flyinglemur did is an A+

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

You don't think Steen/Kadri are both 20-goal players? Even if I over-estimated them, if they both comine for 35 goals, that still makes my team a 240+ goal team.

i'm not quoting the other posts but here are my responses to your general points:

i think kadri and steen are both 20 goal players if they get 20 minutes a game, but there are 60 minutes in a game of hockey. i think beleskey is an 18 goal scorer if he gets 18 minutes a game but he's not going to on this team. i think pirri is a 15 goal scorer if he gets 15 minutes a game, but he's not going to on this team. if they do get those minutes, it's coming at the expense of your other better wingers. you keep talking about getting whatever players a majority of o-zone starts, but there are again a lot less of those in a game of hockey to spread around than you seem to realize. if you could play the entire game inside your opponent's blue line and somehow find 70 minutes of ice time in a game of hockey, you'd score 260 goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

stab posted:

Jonathan Huberdeau - Kyle Turris - Jordan Eberle
Brayden Schenn - Mikko Koivu- Bobby Ryan
Thomas Vanek- Calle Jarnkrok- Ryan Spooner
Daniel Carr - Brett Connolly- Devante Smith-Pelley
Michael McCarron

Johnny Oduya -Shayne Gostibehere
Cam Fowler - Francois Beauchemin
Zach Bogosian - Trevor Van Riemsdyk

Mikhail Sergachev- Mark Barberio

Carey Price
Malcolm Subban

Coach CAPTAIN KIRK MULLER

Stare at my team. Analyze it. Love it. imo it's a playoff team.

Definitely a playoff team. Pretty goddamn deep... just an average defence...but I have Carey. Carey makes average great.

i like a lot about this team (most of it on the offensive side) and also agree it's a playoff team especially under the handsome leadership of kirk muller.

• Locked thread