Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
It's that time of year again, the dreaded offseason. Can you channel your inner Brian Burke and draft a truculent team or throw darts a board like Jim Benning. The choice is yours!

OP From Round 3. Fantasy Draft ROUND TWO THREE FOUR!

30 goons, first come first serve. You pick your team and act as its drafting GM.

This is a fantasy draft in which we are drafting hockeymans teams from all current players who are the property of an NHL team. Each GM can draft any kind of team they'd like: from a cap team that wants to win it all this year, to a cellar dweller that's building through the draft.

Prospects playing in leagues other than the NHL ARE ELIGIBLE if they are the property of an NHL team.

The draft order will be snaking and randomly chosen, and as players are picked, the picks will be stored in a google spreadsheet. This requires research behind each pick, really. I mean it's a lot harder than it seems, especially when you reach the later rounds. You can pick ANYBODY (within the rules). It's demanding, but it's also a ton of fun. Keep this in mind - this is all just supposed to be good fun.

What makes this fun? With each pick, you will explain your pick. Why did you choose this player and what kind of team are you trying to build? And after each pick, we're all free to rag on you for picking Matt Stajan to be your second-line center, or for deciding that no goalie should make more than a million bucks and signing Chad Johnson to be your starter.

RULES

1. Again, only players that are "property" of an NHL team are allowed to be drafted. They can be playing in any league in the world, as long as a team owns their rights. If you draft a player who has not re-signed, you take the risk that they go to the KHL or retire. Be warned. Prospects who have not signed ELCs will be counted as a max contract against the cap.

2. We are drafting based on the 2016/2017 NHL salary cap of $74 million (tentatively). Both minimum and maximum salary cap rules apply. A player's contract including both salary and term is based on their 2016/2017 contract. If you draft a player who has not re-signed, you take the risk of them signing for far more than you expected.

3. You've got 2 hours to make your pick BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 10AM EST and 10PM EST*. If you miss it, the next person is up. You can then come back and make your pick at your earliest convenience. There will only be autopicking if you're wayyyy behind. If you think (or know) you'll miss your 2 hours you can always send your list, usually a pick with 2 or 3 alternates, to someone to pick for you

*it carries over. If the last pick is at 9pm EST, the next pick is due at 11am EST.

4. You must, to some degree, explain your pick to keep everyone involved and encourage discussion.

5. We are picking 23 players plus 1 head coach. Abide by general roster rules, you'll need two goalies, twelve forwards, and six defensemen, at the least. There are no restrictions on what types of players you may pick.

6. Don't make white noise posts who you're going to pick later on, or who other people are going to pick, or who hasn't been picked (or if you do, do a 'I can't believe Manny Murderer is still available' post), but don't worry about naming guys who haven't been picked in the context of a discussion about guys who have been. (Don't be a dick, don't name undrafted guys just to name them. If we find that this rule doesn't work we go back to the DON'T TALK ABOUT GUYS rule.)

7. BE COMMITTED. PLEASE. If you don't think you're going to be able to do this thing (it's long-winded and daunting), be a bystander. Please.

8. Any other rules or ideas you guys have before we start, bring them up here. But now is the time to sign up!

TEAMS

EAST

Toronto Maple Leafs - Boomer The Cannon
Ottawa Senators - The RECAPITATOR
Montreal Canadiens - stab
Buffalo Sabres - Starsfan tofes
Boston Bruins - Veskit
Florida Panthers - Aye Doc
Tampa Bay Lightning - mentholmoose
Carolina Hurricanes - Jordan7hm
Washington Capitals - the talent deficit
New Jersey Devils - T-Bone
Pittsburgh Penguins - Ginette Reno
Philadelphia Flyers - Infidel Castro
New York Islanders - Menamino
New York Rangers - Otis Reddit
Columbus Blue Jackets - ThinkTank
Detroit Red Wings - VJeff

WEST

Winnipeg Jets - possibly Habibi
Nashville Predators - Technetium
Chicago Blackhawks - FBS
St. Louis Blues - eXXon
Calgary Flames - Furnaceface
Colorado Avalanche - Metapod
Minnesota Wild - lazerwolf
Vancouver Canucks - Paulocaust
Edmonton Oilers - Yaya
Anaheim Ducks - Flyinglemur
Dallas Stars - JoelJoel
Los Angels Kings - i am the bird
San José Sharks - Dandy Kaiser
Arizona Coyotes - Good Soldier Svejk

Here is last years spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18GPrsdczGD_5Ltddnu9_1hi08ICYdqW-VYet7m12gdw/edit

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Draft Order

FIRST PICK WEDNESDAY JULY 6TH AT 10 AM

1. Detroit Red Wings - VJeff
2. Los Angels Kings - i am the bird
3. Philadelphia Flyers - Infidel Castro
4. San José Sharks - Dandy Kaiser
5. Edmonton Oilers - Yaya
6. Dallas Stars - JoelJoel
7. St. Louis Blues - eXXon New York Islanders - Menamino swap
8. Buffalo Sabres - tofes
9. Calgary Flames - Furnaceface
10. Florida Panthers - Aye Doc
11. Tampa Bay Lightning - mentholmoose
12. Arizona Coyotes - Good Soldier Svejk
13. Anaheim Ducks - Flyinglemur
14. Toronto Maple Leafs - Boomer The Cannon
15. New York Rangers - Otis Reddit
16. Ottawa Senators - The RECAPITATOR
17. Columbus Blue Jackets - ThinkTank
18. Vancouver Canucks - Paulocaust
19. Montreal Canadiens - stab
20. Chicago Blackhawks - FBS
21. Pittsburgh Penguins - Ginette Reno
22. Colorado Avalanche - Metapod
23. Nashville Predators - Technetium
24. Minnesota Wild - lazerwolf
25. New York Islanders - Menamino St. Louis Blues - eXXon swap
26. Winnipeg Jets - possibly Habibi
27. Boston Bruins - Veskit
28. Carolina Hurricanes - Jordan7hm
29. Washington Capitals - the talent deficit
30. New Jersey Devils - T-Bone

This year's spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USAL3-EVziJcfWq-CTtAQETjt5AFZCGFXdOc8PpsFR4/edit?usp=sharing

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 6, 2016

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Paulocaust posted:

I'm in, but Boomer should relenquish the Leafs to me because I've had them since the first post of the first thread. Otherwise give me the shittiest team left.

I'll tentatively put you on the Canucks for now.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Technetium posted:

Thats a lot of teams to autodraft..........considering how well that went last time.

I imagine we have at least until July 2nd to get things rolling?

Yeah let's try to start in July. Tell your friends!

tofes posted:

I want las vegas

Next year sure! How about the beloved Ducks!?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

FBS posted:

This is intriguing but I know myself better than to commit to something like this on a whim.

And beyond the commitment issue, in my limited experience I'm just flat out bad at fantasy sports. What are the consequences of failure? Shame? Taunting?

Shame AND Taunting, especially when you pick John Tavares over Crosby

But it's really not that hard, just pick a solid NHLer when it's your time to pick and provide a (funny) reason why!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Otis Reddit posted:

When do we do this.

As soon as the last two teams fill up, I'll randomize the draft order

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Menamino posted:

So that means we got a full roster right?

Maybe set a random draft order sometime soon and then start the draft sometime mid next week?

Yeah I'll post the draft order soon and let's shoot for first pick on Wednesday 7/6/16 at 10 AM.

Someone give me an integer.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 1, 2016

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Veskit posted:

Seriously can we please not start this before the 4th of july.

Yeah I'm dumb I was looking at August. Wednesday is the 6th would that be ok?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
DRAFT ORDER IS SET!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Yeah usually the first bunch of rounds go pretty quickly then it sort of slows when you have decide between the dredges of the NHL

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Swaps before we start are cool in my book.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

ThinkTank posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but do we have an official start date?

Wednesday the 6th at 10 AM

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Starsfan posted:

I think I'm back up with the laptop, can participate in the draft (thanks for stepping up tofes)

You or tofes can take over for Brodeur's Nanny

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Habibi posted:

Do you still need a replacement for Brodeur's Nanny or has that been sorted out?

Yeah so far it's still up in the air. Want it?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

VJeff posted:

With the 1st overall pick, the Detroit Red Wings select, from the Washington Capitals...

ALEX OVECHKIN

I want to contend immediately, I wanna make the playoffs and I wanna score a shitton of goals while I do it and to do that, you need an elite goal scorer and flat out, there isn't anyone on this planet better at scoring goals than Alex Ovechkin.

Yeah but do you want to also WIN the cup?

All jokes aside OVI is still a strong number 1 pick, he's still got a couple of 50 goal seasons left.

i am the bird you are on the clock.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Starsfan or tofes is on the clock.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Jordan7hm posted:

I'd rather have Hedman than Ekblad.

Agreed there's probably 5 other defenseman I'd rather have than Ekblad this early.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

stab posted:

Who do i send picks to in case im not around when my turn comes?

You can send me a list and when you aren't going to be here if you want

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Think Tank is up at 10.

So far halfway through the first round and already we have some controversy. I like it keep it up!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Noooooo! Dammit, I was hoping Kopitar would slip

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The Minnesota Wild are proud to select from the University of Wisconsin, Joe Pavelski.

Second to OVI, Pavelski leads all NHL players in goals over the last three seasons and he's 6th in points. We like his strong faceoff and possession numbers. 4th among forwards in shifts per game we know we can build a solid team around him and he has all the intangibles to captain a team to the Stanley Cup. Plus he's a good ol' American boy

Welcome to the club, Joe Pavelski

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Too early for Pavs, but not too too early. He's awesome.

Who's next?

eXXon is on the clock

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

The Winnipeg Jets are delighted to select with the 26th-overall pick Drew Doughty.

I believe he should have gone top 15 considering he's been a leading player in possession analytics for years, is locked up for another 3 years at $7m, and is still just 26 years old with multiple Cups.

I want my team to be built on skating and possession, which is an obvious strategy, and there are very very few defensemen who are better than Doughty with respect to that strategy.

I was considering Doughty but I picked him once before so I decided to try something new. Still like him and he should have gone before a lot of other defenseman

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The talent deficit with Josi and Klingberg, gently caress. That's a solid top pair. Two guys that were on my radar for sure

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Ah excellent. I'm not going to make the same mistake I've made in prior years and not take a number one center.

With their second round pick, the Winnipeg Jets are proud to select Patrice Bergeron. Bergeron is still just 30 and is coming off a 282-shot, 32-goal season while continuing to be the premier defensive center in the NHL. He dominates on draws and plays in all situations.

Doughty and Bergeron are two guys I am really happy to have, especially for the price and considering I am building a team rooted in possession and to win now.

gently caress! I was hoping he would fall

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Wild select Mark Giordano. 6th in the NHL in points for a defenseman last season. He's had a couple of really strong seasons with great possession numbers.
Solid Possession Numbers

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 8, 2016

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Yeah we suspend the 2 hour clock from 10 pm to 10 am so if you don't pick you don't get skipped until 12 the next day

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Stab takes jonathan huberdeau

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Metapod is on the clock.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Wild take from the Dallas Stars, Jason Spezza

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

tofes posted:

I almost took Big Buff but Pietrangelo was too much to resist

I think Buff is better than Pietrangelo and he should have not fell so far but not far enough for me to pick him.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
You never lose your pick you just get skipped. Make your pick if you want!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

T-Bone posted:

Gimme Rask and Krug

Fuuuuuuuck you I hope hoping he came back

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Let's kick off draft day!

With their 4th round pick, Minnesota Wild select defenseman, Nick "Ledd Zeppelin" Leddy

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
EDIT: drat you ^^^

This is the best Fantasy Draft year.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

ThinkTank posted:

Not sure he's worth the contract but I'll take Kyle Okposo

I like this pick

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Let's kick off draft day!

Minnesota Wild select Tomas Tatar

eXXon, you're up next

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

He is the guy I was talking about as the winger who's fallen way too far. He loving owns

His possession numbers are insane, I'm happy he fell so far.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Wild pick Mitch Marner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm going to take Gustav Nyquist, because I'm a homer and I have Wings fans inside me on this turn, but he's actually youngish, got decent fancies, and might actually score at a good clip again if he gets top-6 loving minutes and isn't blocked on the 1st line RW by Justin goddamn Abdelkader. He should easily get 25-30 playing a whole season on a line with Crosby

X-Crosby-Nyquist
Kreider-Larkin-X :flashfap:

McDonagh-X
Martinez-X

Infidel Castro
i am the bird
VJeff x2

Boo this man. I was thinking about taking Nyquist but hoped he might wheel

• Locked thread