Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

For the first time ever I beat mentholmoose to the thread and thus claim my beloved Flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

mentholmoose posted:

I only just found the thread, but I absolutely love doing these sort of things. Can I take the Lightning if they're still available?

Yo. Let's fight about it.

Don't worry, I promise to take good care of our dumb gay hockey team.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Another year, another Top-4 pick.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

No time for a write-up since I gotta leave for work, but with the 3rd overall pick the Flyers select Centre Steven Stamkos.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Paulocaust posted:

Lol at Ovie at 1 and Stamkos at 3

All the other picks were good

In hindsight I probably would have taken Tavares or Karlsson had I not forgotten we were starting this four minutes before I had to leave for work today. :v:

Oh well, I still like Stamkos fit his contract, the fact he's only 26, and the fact he's been fairly durable over his career.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

At work so phone pick, Philadelphia selects defenceman Tyson Barrie.

i am the bird is up

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 9, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Might be a bit under the radar but Philadelphia is happy to select Centre and Pennsylvania native (even if it is the wrong side) Vincent Trocheck.

Vincent Trocheck
Position: Centre
Contract: $4,750,000/yr through 2021-22
Although he's somewhat undersized, he's a fantastic two-way centre that's only 22 years old. At a cap hit of only $4.75m for the next six years, he's an absolute bargain too.

Dandy Kaiser's up again.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 9, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I'm here, just having a hell of a time trying to decide who I want to take.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Okay, had a bitch of a time deciding even what position I wanted most but in the end the Flyers will poach another Fancycat forward and selects Right Wing Reilly Smith

Reilly Smith
Pos: Right Wing
Contract: $3,425,000 in 2016-17, $5,000,000/yr from 2017-18 through 2021-22

Reilly gets traded a lot. First he gets sent to Boston from Dallas in the Tyler Seguin trade, then he gets shipped down to Florida as a thank you gift for taking Marc Savard's contract. Good thing Florida knows what they're doing, because Smith looks like he's finally developed the offensive constancy he was looking for in Boston. In 2015-16 Smith put up 25/25/50 and showed the puck possession skills of a top-line winger. Granted, he was playing on the second line in Sunrise, but Florida's second line (which included Trocheck :v: )was one of the best in the NHL. On top of his offesive skills, Smith is a solid defender who can work on the PK unit.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 13, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

The Denver Post classified ads posted:

25 year-old underappreciated defenceman with great offensive talent looking for perfect partner on top line. Must be left-handed, able to shut down opposing forwards with their size, while still having solid pssesion numbers.

A match made in heaven.

Oscar Klefbom
Pos: Defence
Contract: $4,167,000/yr through 2022-23

It's the 5th round and if I'm gonna draft a guy who can be a legitimate top pairing guy, I have to take a risk. In this case, it's injury. Kelfbom's 2015-16 season was riddled with bad luck. First he breaks a knuckle right around the holidays, then when it looks like he's ready to come back he develops a staph infection in his ankle. The positive ion this is this shouldn't be too much of an indicator that Klefbom is injury prone, just unlucky. I'm willing to bet he'll be back in 2016-17 at 100% and I'll have myself a legit first pairing shutdown D-man who complements Barrie's offensive abilities perfectly.

?????? - Stamkos - Smith
?????? - Trocheck - ??????

Barrie - Klefbom

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 13, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm the biggest Klefbom booster on SAS I think. I love that pick, Klefbom owns and is the actual #1 D Edmonton thinks they traded for in Larsson. He just needs a full season of playing healthy.

e: don't undersell his offensive potential. Klefbom can score, he isn't strictly a shutdown guy

Trust me, if he was just a shutdown guy I wouldn't have gone with him. What I meant is that Klefbom has the size to fit well with Barrie, while the other options I looked at were smaller and wouldn't work so well with him.

There's also another forward I really wanted to go with but, if I didn't address the defence I'd probably wind up with Luca Sbisa on my top pair.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

stab posted:

Not home and in a rush so give me Brayden Schenn with no real rationale so please mock this pick terribly

Edit: he has leadership, grit and intangibles right?

Babby Schenn isn't a bad pick, but he's prime for a regression after having a 20% shooting percentage during the second half of the season

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Technetium posted:

I want a goalie so I'm going to take the one with the 2nd best 5v5 save percentage amongst goalies who played 50 games last year in STEBESTEVE MASON. 2nd last year in that category behind only Lundqvist and 4th amongst goalies who played at least 40 games. He's also 2nd over the last three years in that category behind only Price factoring in goalies who've played 100 games.

Goddamnit I'm the only one in SAS allowed to actually believe in Stebe. :argh:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Ginette Reno posted:

Alright, give me Sean Couturier so that Malkin doesn't have to worry about getting shut down by him, and also because he's a fantastic shutdown center with untapped offensive potential. Fancies are great.

Landeskog-Malkin
Henrique-Kuznetsov
Cooter

Murray

What's a defenseman?

I wasn't too optimistic that Cooter would fall to me but I really didn't think you'd pass on a D-man again.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm going to take Gustav Nyquist, because I'm a homer and I have Wings fans inside me on this turn, but he's actually youngish, got decent fancies, and might actually score at a good clip again if he gets top-6 loving minutes and isn't blocked on the 1st line RW by Justin goddamn Abdelkader. He should easily get 25-30 playing a whole season on a line with Crosby

X-Crosby-Nyquist
Kreider-Larkin-X :flashfap:

McDonagh-X
Martinez-X

Infidel Castro
i am the bird
VJeff x2

Goddamnit it. Well, time to figure out something else.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Okay, so I'm in need of a left winger REAL bad, and there's not too many people that could feasably be called a legit 1st liner. It wouldn't be Philly if I didn't have an aging veteran on a long-term contract so the Flyers select LW Loui Eriksson.

Eriksson has been the model of consistency over his career. It seems every year Loui can be counted on to put up 20+ goals and 60+ points every year. I'm not thrilled with having a guy signed for 6 years on the wrong side of 30, but thankfully he has only one season past 35 and he hasn't shown any real sign of decline...yet.

Eriksson - Stamkos - Smith
???????? - Trocheck - ??????

Barrie - Klefbom

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 16, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

JoelJoel posted:

The fattest guy on the team.

Brodeur retired dude, he's not eligible.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Philadelphia selects defenceman Ryan Murray.

Pretty happy to be landing him in the 7th round, all things considered. He had a bit of a rough year last season, but his fancystats were really good the two previous years, and his play did improve after Seth Jones got paired up with him. Murray has top pairing potential and still had plenty of time to develop. For now, I'm perfectly happy letting him anchor the second pairing.

??????? - Trocheck - ??????

Barrie - Klefbom
????? - Murray

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 16, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

JoelJoel posted:

Dallas Stars select Kyle Palmieri.

gently caress your goalies and defenders. This league is all about GOALS.

The darling of New Jersey, Palmieri don't give a poo poo about your back-checking, he just wants to score GOALS. What wins games? GOALS!

30 GOALS? No problem.

KYLE PALMIERI

Benn - Krejci - Stone
x - Zibanejad - Palmieri

Ellis - Ekholm

Menamino
tofes
Furnaceface

I would have taken him with my 6th pick if he could play on the left.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

80+ posts, man the draft must be flying!

Nevermind, it's just people complaining about dumb poo poo.

I gave Provorov some consideration over Murray, but I felt it was a tad early for him, even if he should be a sure first pairing guy in the future.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Metapod posted:

Colorado selects Mikkel Boedker

Just when he thought he could escape.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Recapitator has about 15 minutes to pick.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Otis Reddit can now pick.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Otis Reddit posted:

Jussi Jokinen is a very versatile and always underrated guy, so I'm getting him.

drat you, now I can't finish my Fancycats 2nd line collection!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think it's probably safe to pick a goalie since I am reasonably happy with my defense and I think there are infinitely more suitable forwards remaining than young, good goalies with high-potential.
I'm taking 23 year old Pittsburgh native and future Ducks starter John Gibson

He platooned with older, more expensive but still promising goalie who is still on the board last season but the Ducks ultimately chose him this offseason, possibly because he is younger and cheaper but also likely because he is the all-around better choice. Even if the rest of the players I pick are the ragged skeletons of once great players I'm happy with the youthfulness of this core and I think that even if I botch the rest of the team there's at least a solid 5-8 years to remedy that.

x - Monahan - Tarasenko
x - Staal - x

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko

John Gibson

Mentholmoose is up

gently caress

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Well I gambled and lost on getting Mrazek, Gibson, or Vasilevsky, so I'll have to settle on my backup plan and take Frederik Andersen

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Sorry for the late pick guys.

Philadelphia selects LW/RW Joonas Donskoi

e: Okay, so even I'll admit this could be a bit of a reach, but no wingers really jumped out at me like Donskoi did. His greatest asset is his versatility; he can play in any game sitaution on top of playing either side. his possession numbers are solid. He also has a decent scoring touch to boot, as we saw during the playoffs. The biggest knock on him I've seen is his inconsistent finishing ability. There's a lot to like about Doonskoi, which is why I'm willing to reach a bit on him. That, and there's nearly two full rounds until my next pick and I'm pretty sure he'd be gone by then.

???????? - Trocheck - Donskoi

Barrie - Klefbom
?????? - Murray

Andersen

eXXon posted:

On the other hand, Andersen is a bad choice

How so? He's not an elite level goalie by any means but he's a solid average NHL starter, which I would expect to get with the 18th goalie selected. Like I said, it was a fallback selection since I was rolling the dice on one of the three guys I mentioned falling back to me.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 20, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

tofes posted:

Kinda early but alright

I actually agree with you on that. I'd love to nab Donskoi later but I had a bad feeling he wouldn't make it back around.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I'll actually be around today so you can send it to me.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Otis Reddit posted:

Gonna snag Michael Del Zotto because I realize now that I know barely half the players in the Western Conference.

I almost took him instead of Donskoi. If he was a right-handed shot I probably would have too.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There's something to be said for a twenty goal scorer, but this dude is is pretty much right out of flatland and his contract scared me away. I'd like to hear what other folks think of him and if that stigma is fairly earned (I'm guessing considering how far he fell most agree that it is)

I just figured his career path is gonna crater so hard it might cause an extinction event.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Otis Reddit posted:

I had two D pegged here, but youth always wins, and the other guy may make it back to me in the next round or two, but I doubt that Ryan Murphy will.

I sort of considered taking him just to confuse the poo poo out of people by pairing him with Murray.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I guess this means I can go?

Well then, since defence seems to bee all the rage still, I'm gonna complete my second pairing with Connor Murphy.

Murphy is an excellent skater who started off slow early last season. However, as the season progressed Murphy started to look more and more like a reliable NHL defenceman. Maybe it had something to do with playing with OEL instead of boat anchors like Niklas Grossmann and Klas Dahlbeck, but either way Murphy was logging first line minutes and looking rather decent at the same time. Murphy looks to pair well with Ryan Murray as well; Murphy is right-handed and can be more free to push offensively with a solid defender like Murray with him.

It's a bit of a risk, as Murphy's possession numbers aren't great. Considering the talent and improvement he's shown though, I'm willing to chance it.

i am the bird is up.

L. Eriksson - S. Stamkos - R. Smith
???????? - V. Trocheck - J. Donskoi

T. Barrie - O. Klefbom
C. Murphy - R. Murray

Andersen

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 24, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

drat, guess I should have nabbed Purcell with my last pick.

No worry though, I'll just help myself to LW Kevin Fiala

Fun fact: Fiala autocorrects to Goals. That's proof enough for me! :v:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Eriksson - Stamkos - R. Smith
Fiala - Trocheck - Donskoi

Barrie - Klefbom
C. Murphy - Murray

Andersen

I'm really diggin' my team. Lots of talent on both sides of the puck with room to grow.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

When do I pick? Haven't checked the sheet in a while

Not for quite a while.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Aye Doc posted:

this is why I was confused at everyone saying there's no good D. there's a bunch of developing D who are already top 4 capable but they're on trash teams

No kidding. I had faint hope McCabe would go under the radar for a few more rounds.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Aye Doc posted:

neuvirth is sick and his performance for his salary especially rules. all of his goalie fancies are top notch

If he could stay healthy instead of breaking a bone any time someone sneezed on him he'd be a fantastic starter.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Jordan7hm posted:

So my current team:

Laine - Hayes - Gallagher
? - Bjugstad - Ennis
?

Chara - Hamilton
Ristolainen - Bowmeester

Hellebuyck

Coached by Mr Barry Trotz.

Hopefully Trotz can institute one of his disgusting defensive structures to keep games close.

Defence probably won't be your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Menamino is skipped, JoelJoel can pick now.

• Locked thread