Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Man, now we're getting to the heart of it I think. Picks are a lot more fun when they're contentious because they get you to re-evaluate your criteria and understanding of what makes a good player.

It's actually a very interesting question because there are plenty of players deployed as top defenseman that don't have appreciable effects on corsi, but they do on shot suppression. The problem with that is that even traditional shutdown defensemen like Sekera and Hjalmarsson do positively affect corsi whereas a guy like Emelin only prevents the other team from taking shots. (Sorry for mentioning Emelin if you were banking on him being forgotten but he's the best example I could think of who I would hope most folks don't give a poo poo about being mentioned because he is traditional viewed as a bad defenseman). However, by the nature of their being so few defensemen that actually do positively impact corsi do we have to accept that maybe Emelin is not a complete waste by the virtue of him potentially being better than someone who could replace him?

In that way I could see someone saying the criteria for what is "good" is skewed, but it could also be fair to say that there were roughly ~300 hockey d-men in the NHL last season so if distribution of professional talent follows a bell curve then there simply couldn't be 100 top-4 dmen.

I'm rambling though so I'd like someone else to run with this or refute it. I just think it's an interesting thought but I'm too tired/too far removed from statistics to follow it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Infidel Castro posted:

80+ posts, man the draft must be flying!

Nevermind, it's just people complaining about dumb poo poo.

I gave Provorov some consideration over Murray, but I felt it was a tad early for him, even if he should be a sure first pairing guy in the future.

I was going to respond with something snarky about your team but honestly it's pretty good so far so...
gently caress.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is your av the Bicentennial Man poster?

Also was that movie actually any good? I watched it as a child and remember liking it well enough.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Otis Reddit posted:

Jussi Jokinen is a very versatile and always underrated guy, so I'm getting him.

This is a fantastic pick. He was actually on my short-list just because of how versatile he is. He is such a smart player that I think he's got at least 2-3 more good, good seasons left in him in spite of his age.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think it's probably safe to pick a goalie since I am reasonably happy with my defense and I think there are infinitely more suitable forwards remaining than young, good goalies with high-potential.
I'm taking 23 year old Pittsburgh native and future Ducks starter John Gibson

He platooned with older, more expensive but still promising goalie who is still on the board last season but the Ducks ultimately chose him this offseason, possibly because he is younger and cheaper but also likely because he is the all-around better choice. Even if the rest of the players I pick are the ragged skeletons of once great players I'm happy with the youthfulness of this core and I think that even if I botch the rest of the team there's at least a solid 5-8 years to remedy that.

x - Monahan - Tarasenko
x - Staal - x

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko

John Gibson

Mentholmoose is up

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 19, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I was gonna take Gibson until Provorov got picked. I still may regret it and I'm shocked he didn't go way earlier. I think he's gonna be the best of all the Hell/Vasy/Gibson trio

Truthfully I forgot he existed until I re-did my goalie list when Allen and Mrazek got taken. I guess the fact that he only played 40 games pushed him under the radar a bit.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If there is any science or consistency to judging a goalie before he hits 30, I do not know what it is - and neither do the LA Kings for that matter.
It seems like a shot in the dark most of the time - but more importantly, the goalie talent in the NHL is probably as high as it has ever been. There are arguably more startable goalies than there are teams that need them at this very moment.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

I'm drafting two defenseman, David Savard and Marco Scandella.

Ovechkin - Toffoli - Wheeler
xxxxxxx - Dubinsky - xxxxxx

Goligoski - Orlov
Savard - Scandella

Rinne

i am the bird, then Infidel Castro and Dandy Kaiser.

Boy is that second d-pair ever a gift for the rest of your division.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

We've got an awful lot of Jim Bennings holding up the works here

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gently caress, Teuvo and Frolik were both on the top of my list.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Man you guys really hosed this for me. Those last 3 picks were my top 3 guys. J.T. Miller was my #1 choice and he came so close but I guess I'll have to make do.

I'm taking Rick Nash.
He's old and was broken a lot last season, and he has nearly infinite money on the books for two more seasons but I think he's probably the most skilled scoring winger left to take (with the possible exception of that one with the giant, forever contract).
His shooting totals and percentages were both down last season, so I don't see why it would be unreasonable to expect him to perk back up and hit 20-30 goals again. Hell, maybe he can do the repeat with 40 but I'm not counting on that.
Point being is he was once elite and I've seen him take over games when he needed to, so here's to hoping he's got some of that left in him for the next few seasons.

Nash - Monahan - Tarasenko
x - Staal - x

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko

Gibson

Flyinglemur can pick now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mentholmoose posted:

Well, I know I'm doing something right if I took somebody else's number one choice.

I'd like to hear a few words on the faux-Lightning if people get the chance. There was a hell of an emphasis on defense this draft, moreso than the previous ones, and I think it skipping D-men in the first few picks might come back to bite me in the rear end; on the other hand I couldn't have snagged so many good forwards if I had taken more D-men.

Your forwards are really good (with the caveat of Daniel Sedin being without Henrik is a universe-ending level offense) but you are right about your D. I think there are some veterans still on the board that could stabilize it a bit but it really depends on who falls back to you. I guess if anything the Pens have just show us that you don't need shot-suppression superstars to make it to win it big.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Habibi posted:

That defense, man...

Mrazek should be used to playing without a defense...
and a solid forward group for that matter.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

stab posted:

Having a blast with some friends so making the worst pick ever so when i see this ill go wtf i actually draftef this shithead whats wrong with you stab

bobby ryan

There's something to be said for a twenty goal scorer, but this dude is is pretty much right out of flatland and his contract scared me away. I'd like to hear what other folks think of him and if that stigma is fairly earned (I'm guessing considering how far he fell most agree that it is)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Ceci is long gone, isn't he?

Doesn't seem like it unless someone botched his name. Probably slipped because he's rocking those Cam Fowler fancies

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I considered Kesler because him and Jordan on the same team would be absolutely brutal for the opposition but his contract is just reaaaaally bad and his body is already falling apart on him

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm so ready to pick this fantasy hockey guy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Holy gently caress Paulocaust has $12 million space left and he's only got a 10 person team.
Those bottom two lines are going to have to be bargain bin as hell

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

First actual Coyote player pick - come on home (unless you get traded because you don't sign) Tobias Rieder

Fast, young and skilled is the name of the game in the modern NHL, and (apparently) this guy is all those things. He plays minutes on both the PK and PP for the Coyotes and is only 23, which makes me think he'll feel right at home along-side Jordan Staal.

Hopefully he doesn't get a terrible contract, but look at this team. This is already better than the real Coyotes I think.

x - Staal - Rieder

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko

Gibson

Go go Mentholmoose

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

son of a loving bitch

great pick, he's a monster -- could win a Selke someday if he can add a little more production

The Selke is pretty much Bergeron's until he retires (he got robbed this year) so Faksa's got time

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

Drouin-McDavid-
Silfverberg-Nielsen-Draisatl
Zetterberg-Faksa

Muzzin-Niskanen
Miller-Braun

I like it I think.

This is tentatively my favorite team, I think. There's a lot to like here though Nielsen's contract is way too long and your second pairing is weak.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

I was hoping Lee would fall to me so I will say gently caress a winger and draft defenseman Jake McCabe. I'll do a writeup later tonight

Hoffman-Duchene-Duclair
x-Hanzal-Frolik
x-Backlund-x

Hedman-Severson
Lindholm-McCabe

Reimer

Fuckin' great pick. McCabe is a stud d-man in the making. Great stats even on Buffalo.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm going to take Carl Soderberg
I'll be honest, I don't know much about him but his stats look good to me and he's got a good enough contract. If he can play wing I'd slot him there but if not he can be 2nd or 3rd center and I won't be upset with him.
I have no way to justify this apart from the raw stats. Also if I recall correctly this man is blind in one eye.

Flyinglemur can pick.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

I only have one other available dude rated at or around McCabe's level and I think he's too stupid of a player to be worth drafting for the way my team is built

I think it's more fair to say McCabe is an outlier. Maybe a few other folks out there at his level/age but it's mostly barren save for the old and the risky.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Probably back around to me right? I've got terrible choices to make, guys.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Metapod posted:

Whoops sorry for the wait I saw it was my pick then completely forgot Colorado selects Lee Stempniak

Still a good pick but now he's actually making what he's worth. Last year he was a goddamned steal. Probably one of the most underrated players out there right now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

On the metro. I'll have Colin Wilson. Real bad season but real good playoffs and fancies.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I considered Perron but after his stint with the Pens I have been wildly soured on him as whole. Which is not to say he's not a better player than Colin Wilson (who I picked over him) but I don't trust him to play a speed game. That said he'd probably be fine with a Hanzal type who can slow things down with his weird gigantism.

Here's what I got so far. I'm highly tempted to move Nash down to spread out scoring but I like that top line.
Wilson - Staal - Rieder
x - Soderberg- x

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko

Gibson

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

He had a hell of a finish after being traded to Edmonton and playing alongside McDavid and Draisaitl, and I feel like he can be the improbably decent winger for either guy like any of the revolving door of reclamation projects in Pittsburgh. Gimme Pat Maroon for this no-goalie, no-coach team.

Drouin-McDavid-Maroon
Zetterberg--Draisatl-Silfverberg
???-Nielsen-???
???-Faksa-???

Muzzin-Niskanen
K. Miller-Braun
???-C. Miller

???
???

I feel like you'd be better off moving Draisatl to wing and letting Nielsen center the second line. Or doing something with Faksa maybe, he's wasted on the 4th and Pat Maroon on a first line is... well let's just say I don't think the guy's gonna keep shooting at 20%. He's a 10-15 goal guy tops, maybe 20 once in his lifetime during a super lucky season.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Good lord have I agonized over this pick. I want/need another veteran who can produce in the top-6, and there are quite a few out there (with really, really bad contracts). Of those questionable veterans I've decided to take Jason Pominville because he's only got three years left on his not so great contract.

Much like Wilson, he had a rough regular season last year but found himself with 7 points in 6 playoff games. Not only that but he is a possession goddamned monster. I mean.. look at this.

He's a natural playmaker so it gives me the opportunity to drop Nash to second line duties and I suspect that second line would not be so fun to play against for the other teams stars. It's not unreasonable to expect 40-50 points from all 3 of those players and each one of them is exceedingly gifted on either end of the ice. This also lets Rieder move up (please don't go to Europe, sign a damned contract) and play on a faster line with Tarasenko. Now I feel okay picking prospects and kids to fill out the bottom lines so I'll likely be going that route here on out.

Rieder - Monahan - Tarasenko
Nash - Staal - Pominville
Wilson - Soderberg- x

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko

Gibson

Flyinglemur is on the clock at 10 sharp.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 28, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Flyinglemur posted:

Pfffft, why wait until ten when I can waste this pick now?

The Ducks select old rear end center Brian Boyle because he's in a contract year and every time I watch him play he seems to have a timely goal and/or assist. Granted, I only see him play once or twice a year but hey I need some goddamn centers.

So team ShitShowSouthernCalifornia looks like:

Kessel-Eichel-Jagr
Sheary-Boyle-Yakupov
? -? -Rust
? -? -?

J. Carlson - Dumoulin
Skjei - ?
? - ?

M. Jones
MAF

You seem to have forgotten you picked Jay Beagle

Also I think some of you guys out there aren't going to hit the cap floor which will be interesting.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The RECAPITATOR posted:

If he isn't taken already (can't access draft sheet from work) I will take Mike Babcock as my coach. I pretty much google searched "best NHL coach" and he came up a few times. Good enough for me. I have a good idea who the real bad coaches are but not who the good ones are so... ya

Umm.. you better get to drafting some over-the-hill grinders or his head is going to explode having to put that many kids in his line-up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

stab posted:

Ghostbear-fowler
Holy sweet Jesus this pairing will get eviscerated.

Also your left and right wings are on the wrong sides and I don't think Koivu has ever in his career played wing (but Schenn has and did most of last season I think)

Also I can't wait to do mid-season check-ups on all you guys and your 19 year-old top line wingers and defenseman because statistically almost none of them are going to be impact players, it just doesn't happen.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 30, 2016

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rather than being snarky and making GBS threads on all your bad teams I got wrapped up in researching and I actually found some interesting and strangely consistent facts about young players in the NHL relative to their draft year and position. It's simple filtering but my criteria was as followed:

Played 41 games in the season and was drafted in the starting year's draft class and was not selected 1 or 2nd overall (because those are almost always a given, if need be add 2 to the totals)
1 - 2015
1 - 2014
4 - 2013
1 - 2012
2 - 2011
3 - 2010

Same but was drafted in the current or previous year's draft:
10 - 2015 (2014 + 2015 draft class)
11 - 2014 (2013 + 2014 draft class, etc)
12 - 2013
8 - 2012
11 - 2011
10 - 2010

Same but included the previous two draft classes:
26 - 2015
25 - 2014
25 - 2013
12 - 2012
34 - 2011
28 - 2010

It's eerily consistent. Not sure exactly what attributes to that anomaly in 2012. It would seam that the 2010 class took a little longer to develop.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Metapod posted:

Rob scuderi is who Colorado selects. Also I apologize for constantly taking all the time it keeps becoming my pick before or during I go to sleep then forget about it when I wake up

Why would you do this?
I have to know the reasoning

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's like all these guys with teams full of high profile prospects have never heard of the Edmonton Oilers or something

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I will take noted shithead Antoine Roussel because he's basically Andrew Shaw on a better contract and every team needs a guy to punch Corey Perry in the fuckin' head.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

I'll take Ilya Samsonov and figure out my starting goalie after VJeff, I guess.

You'll also want a backup since apparently he's locked into the KHL until 2018

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

Don't worry, I've got a plan.

The goalies left are poo poo and we're getting to the point where I don't know any of these loving players. I guess I'll have to go back to the goalie well next round. I'll take Roberto Luongo as my win now guy but that surgery makes me nervous.

I like this plan and you've immediately won me over as a fan of your team regardless of anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I will take Nikita Zadorov.
He was up and down on the Avs last season but he's young, cheap, and played a pretty decent season before that on an abysmal Buffalo team. If he sucks, just as well. Gonna need some Vegas fodder so he's really got nowhere to go but up.

Rieder - Monahan - Tarasenko
Nash - Staal - Pominville
Wilson - Soderberg- Roussel
X - X - X

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko
Zadorov - X

Flyinglemur is on the clock until 7:30 EDT

• Locked thread