Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Make Carolina Great Again.

I'll take the Hurricanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Only 6 more to go.

And one to replace Boomer when he drops out after the first round.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FBS posted:

This is intriguing but I know myself better than to commit to something like this on a whim.

And beyond the commitment issue, in my limited experience I'm just flat out bad at fantasy sports. What are the consequences of failure? Shame? Taunting?

Yes, those are the only two things that happen if you pick a piss team. The only real issue is commitment. This isn't really fantasy sports because at the end of the day there's no objective measure of success. It's all very subjective, and the emphasis is really on the process of selection and player assessment, rather than the team you end up with.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FBS posted:

Does the two hours star running as soon as the previous team makes a pick, or does everybody have a two-hour scheduled block of time to submit their pick?

It's based on when the previous pick is made, and pauses for certain hours overnight. Keeps things flowing pretty well, last year things moved at a good pace.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

I need to come up with a theme for this years draft. Picking BPA gets too boring by about halfway in.

Steal JoelJoel's thing and pick good saskachoowan boys (or quebec or bc or whatever)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

stab posted:

Pick all of SAS' whipping boys

conversely pick SAS's favorite underrated players like Jason Akeson

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just pick Tatar, think of the salary you'll save long term.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You update the Google spreadsheet and you pull cap hit from general fanager or capfriendly or whatever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's unexpected.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

First overall pick is a curse in these things. Ovie's a better choice than Hall, but I know who I'm taking at that spot.

Yeah Ovie is a fine choice, and like VJeff says you have to take him here if you want him, cuz he's not coming around. I'd still take one of two centers though, or possibly even a D.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

Stamkos has a very good contract. That is my opinion on Steven stamkos.

It's ok. It's not amazing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Menamino posted:

I have Joel Joel's list that he sent to me a few days ago, I asked him last night if he still wanted me to stick with it but haven't heard from him. I pick after him so I could knock out 2 picks back to back but didn't wanna move forward until I was sure it was kosher still

Do it.

Yeah Karlsson Crosby and McDavid should have been 1-3. Not sure in what order.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think this is pretty much the same pace as in previous years, no?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Ekblad is the only D I would consider taking over Karlsson. I'm glad he went 5th overall because he deserves to.

I'd rather have Hedman than Ekblad.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Flyinglemur is up.

Try to mention who is next if you can.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Stab is up

Then FBS

Then Ginette Reno

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

That is sick.

You should have kept it though it was funny.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 7, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
OEL is good. Predicting who will still be around is a mug's game, just take the guy you like the most (who also fulfills your bizarre drafting restrictions, if applicable).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Metapod, tech, then lazerwolf are up next.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He's a really good goalie. I probably wouldn't pick him here but you never know when the goalie run will start and you'll be left as Dallas.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Veskit is up, then me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Caroline Hurricanes are proud to select Dougie Hamilton.

He's got a rare combination of size (6'6) and skill (21st in defensive scoring over the past two seasons, consistently strong possession stats) and is one of very few defensemen able to jump into the NHL and play meaningful minutes as a teenager. He's turning 23 this season and is locked up for another 6 5 years on a very reasonable deal. Because of circumstance he may not be a true #1 in the NHL, but there's no question that he'll be the #1 on Calgary by the time his deal is up. He'll be the rock around which the Hurricanes defense is anchored.

e: the talent deficit is up, then T-Bone, then we loop back around.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 7, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The talent deficit is skipped and tbone is up. (Ginette reno has his picks?)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Last year Eichel went 25th, and I figure that's probably comparable to this pick.

The Carolina Hurricanes select Patrik Laine.

The 6'4 winger has drawn comparisons to Alexander Ovechkin and Corey Perry for his combination of size, skill, and shooting prowess. He's had a hell of a year. He announced himself with a bang at the WJC, putting up 13 points in 7 games en route to a gold medal, followe by a Jari Kurri Trophy as the Liiga playoff MVP, and capping his season off with 12 points in 10 games at the World Cup, where he also won the awards for MVP and best forward.

I'm not sure if building around a star winger is the right move (cough Washington cough), but considering age, current ability, and potential, I couldn't let Laine go by.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vestkit is up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

Usually gambles on top prospects pay off later in the draft than your second pick.

Let me tell you about the first draft where I picked Yakupov in the third round and Kucherov roughly 15 later.

Maybe. The Eichel and McDavid picks last year were good though. I don't think anyone was ever that high on Yakupov.

Ekblad fell to the 151st pick in his draft year. Yeesh.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He's already picked try again.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

the talent deficit posted:

do we still have the rule that if you pick a player that's already been chosen you get to repick but the next person up gets to pick immediately? i think that was a good rule

im going with yes. you still made a pick, its just a bad one that we're going to ignore.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah except if you're posting here you should just pick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

So I am pretty sure I sent a list to Jordan7hm but it's not showing up in sent messages. I am working tomorrow but will let you guys know if I can't pick. I probably can, I just ask the favor of one of you saying "Brodeur's Nanny is up" so I can check at work and know to pick.

I didn't get it.

The RECAPITATOR is up followed by ThinkTank and Paulocaust.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Getzlaf had his worst sh% in years and is probably going to have a big bounce back year and get back up to 70 pts.

A really good pick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Soooooo I dunno what Veskit's deal is, but it's been 2 hours so I'm picking. I doubt I'm taking the guy he wants anyway.

With the third pick of the draft, the Carolina Hurricanes select Brendan Gallagher.

Gallagher is a little sparkplug, at only 5'9. His size makes it easy to overlook the progress he's made since coming into the league as a 20 year old, but he's become a legitimate first line winger. He's one of the most prolific shooters in the league (13th in s/60 last year, 7th this year) and he's starting to see his assist rate climb too. He attacks the net fearlessly, has superb possession stats, and draws a ton of penalties due to his style of play.

He's also on an amazing contract, at only 3.75 for the next 5 seasons.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
he can dive with the best of em

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Carolina selects Rasmus Ristolainen.

I'm clearly going for a young team here, so let's pick another big defenseman to build around. Rasmus is 6'4 and coming off a season where he put up 41 points and played nearly 2100 minutes (25+ minutes / night). Yeah, his possession stats weren't very good, but he's a 21 year old being asked to anchor a really lovely team's defense, and his usage stats indicate that he was very much relied on to be the defensive guy with very heavy defensive zone usage and a high quality of competition. Putting some context into those usage stats: In the history of tracking time on ice there have been only four seasons where a player 21 or younger played 2000+ minutes, and Rasmus has one of them (the other are EK, Phaneuf and Doughty). He played the 15th most ES ice time among all defenders this season. At 21.

The numbers underlying his scoring stats indicate that he hasn't reached his peak (he's had below average on ice shooting) and his own shot generation (2.46 s / game last year) means that he could have a serious breakout season if some puck luck goes his way.

His contract is up this summer which puts him in an interesting position. If I had to guess, Buffalo will try to lock him down to something between what Seth Jones got last summer, and what Ekblad got this summer. Somewhere in the 44-50 million / 8 year range.

This puts me at:

Laine (6'4) - ? - Gallagher (5'9)

? - Hamilton (6'6)
? - Ristolainen (6'4)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Pittsburgh takes Matt Murray because he's a good young goalie who has won a cup already and has a strong AHL pedigree and so I'm pretty sure he's going to be at worst a solid starting goalie and he has the potential to be an elite one.

Kuznetsov-Malkin
Landeskog

Murray

boo

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
at 3:49est I think

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Veskit posted:

I hear you, but I think a better defenseman will only be incrementally beneficial, and cost 4-5 million more.

Dumba isn't under contract though, so I'm confused. He's an RFA right now, his contract was up this season.

He's almost certainly going to cost substantially more than 850k.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

And this the next year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDYg7HUTCM

Man it sucks that he had to get drafted by Edmonton.

Also lol Pierre. "can you believe it" "yes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also it's taken Rielly 3 seasons to produce what Vlasic did in 4. Vlasic doesn't really have much offensive upside despite this past season. He had previously only cracked the 25 point barrier twice.

• Locked thread