Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Boomer The Cannon posted:

He's never had a shot at the NHL level, with the depth that Winnipeg has.

he plays 22 minutes a night, that's a ridiculous thing to say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not only was he picked, he was picked in the first round.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure furnaceface is skipped and tofes can pick whenever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ryan Ellis is really good and nothing like what he was projected to be coming out of junior (small 1 dimensional offenseman).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm the biggest Klefbom booster on SAS I think. I love that pick, Klefbom owns and is the actual #1 D Edmonton thinks they traded for in Larsson. He just needs a full season of playing healthy.

e: don't undersell his offensive potential. Klefbom can score, he isn't strictly a shutdown guy

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 13, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
seriously who cares just pick. it's not like anyone is putting effort into writing up their picks anyway.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

E: fine, whatever, gimme Ekholm.

noooooooooo

e: more seriously I think it's fine to take your time, I just want to see more actual explanations and writeups. we've run through this a bunch of times now, we all generally know who these guys are, I think it's more interesting when people explain why they made their pick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

How did Stone go way before Hoffman when Hoffman is better?

Stone is better. I like Hoffman and he can score and break teams open with his speed but Stone is an incredible two way player and he can break teams with his reading of the play.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat it I really hoped he would drop.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

Puljujarvi might legit be better than Laine

He might. Unlikely, but anything is possible.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

I wish I could find the drat thing but I saw a breakdown of the two over the four quarters of the year and Puljujarvi had a slow start but by the end I believe was out producing Laine. Laine had a great playoffs and his shot volume is absolutely bonkers though.

There's this: http://jetsnation.ca/2016/4/14/a-tale-of-two-finns-patrik-laine-vs-jesse-puljujarvi

His playoffs were impressive, but it was his WC performance that puts him well over the top for me. Yeah, one tournament and sample size and whatever, but it's incredibly rare for players to even attend in their draft year, let alone put up that kind of performance.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not gonna lie, I seriously regret taking Laine over Getzlaf despite thinking Laine is definitely the real deal. I am also very mad about JStaal getting taken.

That being said, I'm going to buy into my "build for a few years from now" theme and take my first center with that theme in mind: Nick Bjugstad.

Bjugstad (6'6) is coming off a mixed year - he missed some time, his production stats are way down and he was relied on to play tougher minutes than in years past. His possession stats have been fairly flat, slightly moving the wrong way, with a CFrel% right around 0. One positive is that he's had bad on ice shooting, so there's a chance he's getting some bad puck luck. Its rare for someone to go from 14>5 first assists at this age if it's not luck driven.

He does have a great contract if he improves just a little bit - 4.1 million for another 5 seasons.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to continue going young as poo poo and take the best goalie not playing in the NHL, 6'4" Connor Hellebucyk. I'll get an older guy for stability later.

Laine - Bjugstad - Gallagher

? - Hamilton
? - Ristolainen

Hellebucyk

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

i am the bird posted:

I'm no scholar but I don't know who that is and I bet you could've gotten him with your very last pick.

Matt Murray went two rounds ago. There's no chance he was going to come back around.

I don't even think he ends up being my starter, but if Murray is in the NHL this year and Connor isn't, Hellebucyk is no question the best prospect goalie / young backup out there.

E: ^^^^ yeah when I went Laine I kinda bought the short term tank, albeit not an intentional one... If they can be better, that's cool. If they can't, that's cool too. I hadn't done that previous years, looking to do something different.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 14, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love the defense but that forward group is bad. Definitely a team that as it currently stands will be better in a few years than right out the gate.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kadri is very good, I really like your team.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kyle Turris is a solid pick. He's in tough as a #1, but he plays both ends of the ice, has a good shot, and excellent vision. He, Stone, Hoffman and Karlsson would be a fantastic foundation for a team. It's just what they built on top of it that sucks.

I like him more than a bunch of other centers picked before him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

I pick James Howard

uhhhhh

why?

e: dammit I wasn't following where we were in the draft

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

Yzerman's ghost is a better 2C than most picks I could make.

I'm gonna take a chance on a bounceback year and take G - Pekka Rinne.

Other pick coming in a moment, gotta check some stuff.

This is a bad pick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

This makes me pretty certain it was a great pick.

He's as elite as Jimmy Howard.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There's someone I really want but I'm sure that Paulocast will take him. Lets get through these next twelve picks with no issues.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm around also. Looks like Exxon sent me a list.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ginette is skipped and Metapod is up, I think.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
From his list, eXXon had Adam Larsson #1 with a comment: Christ, defenseman got picked early this year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have a team full of kids so I'm giving them a dad to watch over them. The Hurricanes take 6'9 Zdeno Chara. He's going to reunite with his little buddy Dougie and help anchor my top pair for the next two years until the rest of the D is really up to the task.

Chara is 39, yes, but he's still able to play heavy minutes and do ok with possession and scoring, and he's got one of those weird contracts where the AAV drops in his over 40 season (to 4 million). If he wants to keep playing (I think Chara will end up challenging Chelios for oldest D) we can even look at keeping him around after this contract is up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Didn't know that about his contract. I maybe would've taken him.

The downside is he has a NMC and you'd need to protect him in expansion.

I don't know if anyone else is keeping expansion in mind, but it's affected my choices to a small degree.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Let's try this again in a few.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 18, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mentholmoose posted:

Hanzal got taken 20 picks ago.

Provorov wouldn't have lasted past my next pick. Good choice; dude's gonna be amazing.

Nooooooooo the one time I don't check.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Eh gently caress it most of my other center options are awful and will keep dropping.

Who needs offense? We're going to aim for shutout shootout losses.

Let's double down on what I think is a real strong top 4 and select 6'4 Jay Bouwmeester. His possession numbers and rate stats aren't great but he's far and away the best left d still on the board for me, and he was a top pairing guy of a team that went to the conference finals so he must have something left.

Laine - Bjugstad - Gallagher

Chara - Hamilton
Bouwmeester - Ristolainen

Hellebucyk

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

Well we should be really be doing a 30 player draft, not 23 -- but even in this context gently caress taking some pluggers when I can take a (high probabiliity even) potential elite player

Hell no, half the teams will not even draft 23 guys

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Give me Radko Gudas. He's a fancy darling and a dirty piece of poo poo, both things I appreciate

His fancy stats darlingness has really only been this season, and it wouldn't be shocking if it turned out that was a mirage.

That said, it's fun to watch him play and hit everything all the time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pearson is an interesting player. After his AHL performances and the Stanley Cup run a couple years ago it seemed like he was right in the cusp of being an impact guy but then it just didn't happen. He has a chance to step up big time this year, but if it doesn't happen I'm not sure it will (until he leaves the Kings, at least).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I was gonna take Gibson until Provorov got picked. I still may regret it and I'm shocked he didn't go way earlier. I think he's gonna be the best of all the Hell/Vasy/Gibson trio

I think the trio isn't a trio anymore, because it includes Mrazek.

Gibson's 5v5 save % has been trending in the wrong direction and was below average last year. I also think Bernier is going to have a mild resurgence and steal starts from Gibson.

There is some super cool work on projected goalie performance over on creative obstruction. Obviously take with a huge grain of salt, but it's not very favourable towards Gibson. (I'm phone posting or I'd link it)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

He might be actually. But I think those two are the best young goalies. I also said last year that Vas' athleticism will allow him to stay good for longer but Gibson will hit the higher ceiling. I still believe that

Nothing in Gibson's previous performance indicates he's got a higher ceiling. Being a year older is also significant. (that's a knock against Mrazek too)

Vasilevsky is probably going to be the best of the bunch.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goalie peak is apparently historically 23-26 soooo

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I was hoping he would fall to me. Pageau is loving awesome. 19 goals and 43 points despite starting in the defensive zone almost 70% of the time. Playing against the top lines in the league as a 23 year-old. Love the guy

The scoring was carried 100% by Stone. I like him but he's not a real 40 point guy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ryan is hugely overpaid and his important rate stats all show a fairly significant decline the last few years. He's also a big drag on the possession stats. His wowy is baaaaad.

If he was paid even just 5x5 that would be one thing because goalscoring is at a premium, but that contract is so so so bad.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Metapod is up, followed by Tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Can I send mine and exxon's list to someone?

I'm around but also picking shortly after you.

• Locked thread