Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm sad somebody took the Canucks so I'll take the next worst thing in the Edmonton Oilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I knew my Oilers pick would bring me good fortune in a lottery

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I was gonna take Crosby, but with him and McDavid both gone, the Edmonton Oilers take Erik Karlsson

A strong D-core is paramount to winning, and Karlsson is far and away the best blueliner in the league. A defenseman scoring at a point per game is obscene in the NHL today, and Karlsson does it while still being solid at shot suppression.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Monahan, Backstrom, Duchene, and Mackinnon were the 4 players I was eyeballing so I am extremely upset right now

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
In need of a number 1 centre, as well as a veteran presence in the locker room, the Edmonton Oilers take Jumbo Joe Thornton

37 years young, but a hall of famer and still one of the best in the game when it comes to playmaking and possession.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
So the twist is at the end of the draft a Las Vegas owner shows up and we do a mock Expansion draft, yeah?

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

i am the bird posted:

I'm going to take Jake Muzzin

Great pick. Was who I wanted next.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

FBS posted:

Intangibles are dropping hard this year, it seems.

The Great Possession Draft of 2016

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

the talent deficit posted:

there's like 20 dudes about as good as draisatl, trochek and toffoli still available. was prob too early to take any of them

they're all better than duchene tho

There's a lot of extremely good players on extremely expensive contracts, and I think that's what is turning people off from drafting them.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
2 hours have passed, so I can pick, I guess.

Muzzin getting taking put me in a pickle, so the Edmonton Oilers are gonna round out their top 2 Dmen and take Marc-Edouard Vlasic. Lots of great defensemen have a great #2 alongside them. Shea Weber had Ryan Suter, Doughty has Jake Muzzin. Vlasic is an extremely underrated defender and will work great alongside Karlsson.

I considered going heavily off the board and taking a different defender but I feel Vlasic is an overall more complete player compared to this one.

EDIT: Both JoelJoel and Dandy Kaiser can pick

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I was tempted to take Rielly instead of Vlasic but Vlasic's fancy stats enthralled me

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

tofes posted:

I mean I don't think Rielly is bad but he's not even in the same league as Vlasic

To be fair, Vlasic is in his prime and Rielly is a player with a lot of potential.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Sad to see Tanev go. One of the best penalty killers in the game and I was really hoping people would sleep on him. He's the kind of defenseman Edmonton thinks Adam Larsson is.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The Edmonton Oilers get their first line Left Winger in James van Riemsdyk. Dandy Kaiser is up

A lot like Phil Kessel in the regard that he's done a lot with the very little he's gotten in Toronto. I expect him to thrive alongside Thornton.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I have no idea how this person is still on the board with the recent run of defenders drafted and I was going to give VJeff some time because I felt bad but I'm not sure Jake Gardiner would make it through those two picks.

JVR - Thornton - ??

Karlsson - Vlasic
Gardiner - ?

We are the Edmonton Nega-Oilers, you will not score on us. JoelJoel is up.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Couturier is one of the best shutdown centers but I'm not sure he can do it all by himself.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I got to watch Kyle Turris in the BCHL a lot and I'm really glad he managed to turn his career around after he was pretty much considered a massive bust by everybody. Beyond that I have no strong opinion of him.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The Edmonton Oilers complete their top line with the humongous dickbag but unquestionably talented Alexander Radulov. I have full faith in Joe Thornton to beat the poo poo out of him if he acts up.

JVR - Thornton - Radulov

Karlsson - Vlasic
Gardiner - ?

The newly christened Teemu Pokemon is up.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Bold move drafting a horse.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Silfverberg was going to be my pick before I decided to gamble on Radulov.

Anyways, Edmonton's starting goaltender will be Jake Allen. Young, has a lot of promise, and is a cap friendly option at goalie unlike so many others. I had another goalie in mind but decided to go with the slightly younger option. JoelJoel and VJeff are up.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I like Edler a lot. I'm not sure if he's worth 5 mil, but he's one of the better defensemen still available and GMs are willing to lose their god drat minds over good shutdown d-men, apparently.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Metapod is also skipped. Them and Technetium can both pick.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
My strategy of getting the guy I want via nobody making draft picks was risky but has apparently paid off

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Menamino is up!

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I am ready to make my pick. Which means JoelJoel is going to take them in the next 4 minutes.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The Edmonton Oilers select Jimmy Vesey. The last two Hobey Baker Award winners, Johnny Gaudreau and Jack Eichel, both burst into the NHL with stellar 20+ goal seasons the year after they won the award. Mind you, with a few exceptions there aren't too many prestigious names attached to the award, but with the jump in quality in NCAA hockey in recent years, along with the success of Gaudreau and Eichel, I feel its worth taking the two year ELC risk on Vesey to see if he pans out.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah I'm not sure about Jimmy Vesey. I thought about him, but he screams 'not gonna be a star' to me. He's already 23 (and several months older than Johnny Gaureau) and he took a step back offensively this year. Lots of teams seem incredibly eager to offer him primo NHL minutes to get him under contract, so I guess he'll put up points but he feels like the LW version of Justin Schultz. If he was ripping poo poo up as a freshman like the other guys you mentioned then I'd be more inclined to believe he might be an NHL level scorer, but he didn't break out until age 21. The hype around him reminds me of Matt Gilroy of Fabian Brunnstrom, and yeah that was stupid.

I'm not 100% on him either, but I feel its a low-risk, high reward scenario. If Vesey busts, its only a two year ELC. If he works out, its a cap friendly 20+ goal scoring tool which is big to me, as somebody who's already concerned about cap space.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I consider myself a Mike Gillis, in the regard that I'll acquire two of the best players of their position and trade both of them for nothing

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I really don't like my options at centre. Lots of 3C, not a lot of 2C. That being said, I'll take

BoninoBoninoBoninoBoninoBonino Nick Boninoooooooo

Had good production numbers per 60 minutes in the regular season, and we all know how his playoffs went

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I realize I just became that GM who overpaid after one good playoff but my options here were dire

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Can I send you my list?

I should be around, yeah.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Teravainen was the person I considered taking over Bonino the most.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
JVR-Thornton-Radulov
Vesey-Bonino-?

Karlsson-Vlasic
?-Gardiner

Allen

Could be better, could be worse. I really love my defense so far.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Veskit posted:

I just drafted ryan kesler without even checking his salary I've really hit it big :smug:

And now you know why all of us taking centres didn't take him

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
To clarify, the talent deficit was the one skipped. thankfully for them, they're up again and can make two picks

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Parenteau can be very on and off but a potential 20+ goals for that price can't be ignored. He was on my radar for sure.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
poo poo, I was gonna take Hamhuis

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
My pick is after JoelJoel's. I am in another country right now and have no data so I'm going to preliminarily pick Jerome Iginla. If Joel picks Iggy, I hate him and you can skip me until I'm back at a place with WiFi

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I suppose I'll explain the Iggy pick. He's old af but still capable of 20+ goals and will probably end up on the top line with Thornton when the organization gets tired of Radulov's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Jordan7hm posted:

His possession numbers this year were absolutely disgusting. All offense zero defense. He is a shell of his former self.

Thankfully I feel like I have the d core to compensate for this

• Locked thread