Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I like your D but your entire top line was below 50% CF% last season despite getting 55-60% o-zone starts and Duchene is particularly dreadful in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Louis Domingue is a rough approximation of an average NHL goalie and he's young so why not.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 3, 2016

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

I like my top pair but after that it's extremely questionable.

Boychuk and Greene are not (good) first pairing defensemen anymore.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dude stop copying my picks from last year Brodeur's ninny.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

After finally waking up and looking at my godawful tatters of a list, I'm going to pick Shane Prince who might be an NHL player of some description.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nick Holden, shutdown defenseman :lol: He has the second-highest Fenwick against/60 of defensemen who played more than 1000 minutes in the last two seasons, behind only Ristolainen. Next you're going to tell me that Marcus Kruger has a good contract.

Incidentally, Davidson and Benn are pretty good in that regard.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JoelJoel posted:

What, you want him to score goals?

E: plenty of good third pairing guys that would look like garbage on the top line of a team coached by rwah.

No I'm saying that it's weird to say a player is a good shutdown D when his defensive metrics are close to worst in the league. Just like some random Rangers fans said he has good fancystats after they traded for him when in fact they're absolute garbage. I've also been noticing a trend of one-line posts on hockey forums saying some random player seems to have good fancystats with no further explanation, even when they're average at best.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I can't wait that long, I'm going to bed and picking Mark Fayne who is ostensibly an NHL defenseman. In the unlikely event that lazerwolf wanted him, *fart noise*.

See, problem solved. Thanks wolf of lazer.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JoelJoel posted:

You got a problem with Holden but you're okay with letting Fayne near your team? That def makes sense.

Hot take: they both suck.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dave Hakstol is a real NHL coach, give me him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ville Husso might become the best goalie Finland has ever produced or maybe trash, who knows or cares?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lazerwolf posted:

Wild will select Vili Saarijarvi

Who the gently caress?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

i am the bird posted:

I wasn't paying attention to the new format so this is my pick for yesterday: Vladimir Sobotka

You're a horsefucker

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Madison Bowey, gently caress it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ok maybe the question should have been why?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

stab posted:

Don't know why, but I really like my team now

Jonathan Huberdeau - Brayden Schenn - Jordan Eberle
Kyle Turris - Mikko Koivu- Bobby Ryan
Thomas Vanek- Calle Jarnkrok- Ryan Spooner
Daniel Carr - Brett Connolly-

Shayne Gostibehere - Johnny Oduya
Cam Fowler - Francois Beauchemin
Zach Bogosian - Trevor Van Riemsdyk

Mikhail Sergachev

Turris is a C, Schenn is a LW, Connolly is a winger, Oduya mostly plays LD and Beauchemin and Bogosian are bad, just like my defense.

Schwartz-Barkov-Hornqvist
Vrana-Little-Hansen
Pouliot-Reinhart-Bjorkstrand
Prince-The Artist-Formerly Deceased

DeKeyser-Faulk
Hickey-Larsson
Theodore-Fayne
Bowey

Domingue
Husso

I like my centers and some of the wingers and 2.5 of the defensemen and that's about it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric Fehr can go on my 4th line again, why not.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

I pick 6'4 Dwight King

Final roster (minus spares) of the Carolina Monsters and Midgets. Nobody between 5'10 and 6'3, coach included.

Laine - Hayes - Gallagher
Ennis - Bjugstad - Gionta
Lowry - Matthias - Hayes #2
Griffith - Marchessault - King

Chara - Hamilton
Ristolainen - Bowmeester
Sustr - Staal

Hellebuyck
Smith

Coached by Mr Barry Trotz

I'm pretty happy with the defense, coaching, and goaltending. That forward group is atrocious though. Missing Getzlaf / Thornton hurt.

That forward group is impressively bad, what with the one vaguely legitimate first line forward.
Also the LD group of Chara-Bouwmeester-Staal is not going to age well. In fact, it isn't already.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I almost forgot about this. I will take Nikolai Kulemin to anchor an overpaid 4th line.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gustav Forsling is a prospect who plays defense.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Did anyone take Logan Brown yet because if not he's mine.

Also Holland is the opposite of reliable.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aye Doc posted:

cut him in half down the middle so that both eXXon and Jordan can have a Logan Brown

I take Logan Couture, then Jordan can have Mike Brown.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jason Allison wasn't so much mean as angry and bitter about how loving slowly he skated.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Infidel Castro posted:

Oh hey, Vladislav Kamenev is still available. Guess I have my centre prospect now!

THE PHILADELPHIA FLYERS ROSTER

L. Eriksson - S. Stamkos - R. Smith
K. Fiala - V. Trocheck - J. Donskoi
V. Arvidsson - M. Grigorenko - M. Read
P. Bellemare - S. Laughton - M. Salomaki

T. Barrie - O. Klefbom
C. Murphy - R. Murray
A. Petrovic - T. Sanheim
J. Wisniewski

F. Andersen
J. Korpisalo

HC - Peter DeBoer

Minors - B. Leipsic, V. Kamenev

This team will probably be pretty good in a yesr or two.

I refuse to believe that anyone would name their child Oak Hewer except as a nasty practical joke.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Unless there's something I don't know about the Millers, Braun is as good as gone.

My lovely team:

Schwartz-Barkov-Hornqvist
Vrana-Little-Hansen
Pouliot-Reinhart-Bjorkstrand
Prince-Fehr-Kulemin
(Logan Brown)

DeKeyser-Faulk
Hickey-Larsson
Theodore-Fayne
(Forsling)-(Bowey)

Domingue
Husso

The centers own. They'll be better than the Giroux-Johansen-Eller-Jarnkrok group I picked first time around, more likely than not. If Vrana and Bjorkstrand are all they're cut out to be, and they should, the wingers will be nice too. The top line are all good possession-wise and the rest are at at least decent while being kwality point producers. In fact, sorting forwards by P/60 over the last two seasons, I've got Schwartz (27), Hornqvist (49), Barkov (52), Pouliot (50), Little (76) and Hansen (84) in the top 90 league-wide. Kulemin sucked badly the past season but he can PK and he gets me within spitting distance of the cap floor.

Faulk is a good young #1D. Larsson has proven to be worth Taylor Hall and can be buried with tough defensive zone starts, kind of like Phaneuf was but instead of taking dumb penalties he is just kind of there. DeKeyser doesn't appear to have any particular talents and is sadly not suited to a top pairing role. Hickey is an underrated point producer and plays more minutes than most #5 D and so could handle a promotion but really I'm just praying that Theodore is ready for big minutes. Forsling was good in the SHL so maybe he'll transition to the pros quickly - probably not in real life unless that Kempny character is a huge bust. Bowey didn't have a particularly outstanding rookie AHL season so who knows. He did headshot a decent Leafs prospect in the playoffs so if he doesn't pan out, gently caress him. Fayne had an awful stretch to start the season but after getting back from banishment to Oklahoma he was at least average while paired with Sekera. He won't play big minutes anyway.

I have never seen either of those goalies play and I'm not convinced that they're real.

Oh right, the coach is Dave Hakstol. He is youngish and seems to have done a good job with the Flyers and their tire fire defense, even dragging them to the playoffs in the wasteland that is the Eastern Conference. He'll feel right at home with this group, I think, even if it's lacking an above-average goalie.

Protected:

1. Schwartz
2. Barkov
3. Hornqvist
4. Little
5. Hansen
6. Pouliot
7. Prince

1. Faulk
2. Larsson
3. Hickey

Exposed
1. Eric Fehr
2. Nikolai Kulemin
3. Danny DeKeyser
4. Thomas Hickey
5. Mark Fayne
6. Louis Domingue?

I picked so many ineligible players that I'd have to expose Domingue according to the dumb rules but are we seriously following them to the letter?

Anyway, in this fantasy universe I'd expose DeKeyser over Hickey because Ken Holland signed him to an overly rich contract for what he brings. Otherwise I'd keep him over Hickey. I would not shed tears over anyone else on that list.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 17, 2016

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ha ha, look at all of you losers who drafted more than 3 good defensemen.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The point of setting limits on the number of protected players is obvious, whereas the point of enforcing limits on the number of exposed players when we have half as many contracts as most NHL teams is not so much.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My Domingue-Husso goaltending tandem is working out splendidly so far, thanks for asking!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Shane Prince is my most pleasant surprise so far this season, which is pretty much all you need to know.

Danny Dekeyser has worked hard and has managed to raise his 5v5 CF% above 40%. Well, at least I'm not a Wings fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I expected mediocrity and I got it. I left Mark Fayne out because he died and who cares. I double-slotted Eric "A Depth Forward" Fehr because Bjorkstrand and Vrana didn't play enough minutes to get in and probably would have mildly improved the 3rd line given a chance.

However, considering that Hansen, Hornqvist, Little and Schwartz all had injury trouble and Pouliot seems to be irreparably broken, and that my goaltending tandem is Louis Domingue and Ville "Who?" Husso, I think this team might have struggled In Real Life. DeKeyser has transitioned into a boat anchor and Theodore hasn't been great, although he seems to be much better away from Bieksa. Gustav Forsling appears to be a marginal NHLer for now so that's something.

Barkov will win a Selke sooner or later* and then I'll be vindicated.

* when Bergeron retires

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 31, 2017

• Locked thread