Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Devils for a proper tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
no one cares about the west

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
just keep spamming all the NHL threads it works

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
we are close, soon we shall hatch

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

For some reason this calls to mind a clutch of corpse flies emerging from a bloated body. Thanks.

also the NHL expansion strategy

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
30th? gently caress yeah

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Flyinglemur posted:

Now I have to do math? loving gently caress.

I plan on filling my roster with players that are making 1M or less, making it easier for me to stay under the Cap. I'm not worried about actually winning - which is why I took the Ducks. Gonna do Mook proud.

The spreadsheet will auto calculate the cap hit once it's inputted.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
McDavid is definitely the most valuable player in this draft and I'm not sure he won't be the best player in it over the next three seasons.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
this is why having back to backs owns

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Technetium posted:

Haha you're picking 30th two years in a row?

I think I had like 12 or 13 last year.

I was 29 or 28 or some poo poo the year before that though.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like it too. How else will I get my 18 year old snipe picks in that won't materialize for six years

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
you motherfucker

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I really like him. The pick may be a bit early but he definitely wouldn't have gotten back to you.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
gently caress I was hoping Barkov would fall

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I had Barkov and Gaudreau and a couple of other good young guys I can't talk about on my dumb prospect team a few years back buying low baby

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm gonna send Ginette my picks. Unless all of you beautiful late round posters can pick in the next hour or so.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
people are really going young this year eh?

I kind of hate Toews and Giroux but they would be good soldier boy Devils

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ginette can pick now I think.

Metapod/Ginette up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I almost took Kuznetsov and another guy I'm sorta surprised hasn't been taken yet, but really my greatest temptation was going Burns/Letang for the 60 minutes of two dumb rovers who are actually incredible at hockey strat.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mentholmoose posted:

Sure, I'll take another 70 point center. Nicklas Backstrom

e: On my phone, can somebody else update the sheet?

he was the other dude I was thinking about

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm so glad Sean Monahan made his way to me. He's a big young center who scored 60 points the last two seasons. He's an all-around player. He can score, he can set folks up. He's young and he'll only get better.

Mentholmoose is up.

He's actually pretty one dimensional (so far). People talk about his game like he's Bergeron but he's been poor defensively and his offense didn't take off until he started playing with Gaudreau. He's good, but he's not as good as people think he is.

quote:

Monahan was one of the most sheltered players on the Flames in terms of zone starts, but his job is to score, and score he did, so that's fine. He also faced off against top competition on other teams, and still had his second 60-point season in a row, so there are no worries here.

The real worry to be found is how he played nearly identical circumstances to Gaudreau, and how much weaker his corsi is. Monahan's 5v5 CF of 48.10% was 12th on the Flames. For context, Gaudreau's was 49.55% - nearly breaking even - and Joe Colborne, ahead of Monahan but with significantly weaker zone starts, was 48.12%.

That's some cause for concern: while Colborne can't necessarily be expected to replicate his season offensively, and he definitely doesn't have the offensive talent Monahan does, the fact that he can post roughly the same corsi stats despite being used in a much more defensive role - even if he did have the Backlund Bump - does point to some questions around Monahan.

The other concern? Despite being heralded as an excellent two-way player coming out of juniors, Monahan has yet to show that particular talent in the NHL. This is where it will be extremely interesting to see how his new coach, whoever he may end up being, uses him - and how well Monahan responds. If better coaching sees him play a stronger two-way game, great; if that's not who Monahan is, then that's fine, too, because he's still a big 60+ point centre.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 9, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Getzlaf is still pretty great, I think he should have gone earlier.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I was hoping for Wayne Train/Big Buff b2b my dreams are dead

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

Why don't you go pick some 20 year-olds huh

I'm a new man

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Gimme Rask and Krug

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Rask has the 2nd best career save percentage all-time, he'll be fine.

Giroux
Toews

Krug

Rask

Krug isn't really a #1 all-around, but he is offensively, so hopefully I can get a real solid minutes eating #2 guy. Rask is imo still a top 5 goalie in the NHL, and a big difference maker potentially. Giroux/Toews should be tough for any team to handle provided I can find good value at wing late in the draft like last year (sup Panarin). This is pretty clearly a win now team, but it's not particularly old either (28/28/25/29).

At any rate this is better than taking Eric Staal last year in the 3rd.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 11, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
guys I know my prospect team from a few years back was the envy of all the league but come on now

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Don't see a problem with Murray there. His track record is incredible. People predicting his regression aren't predicating it on any kind of evidence, but just some kind of vague hope/feeling, eg Gaudreau is too small/slow.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

Didn't realize it got back to me so quickly. I take Max Domi.

I almost took him and another winger. Good pick, he owns unlike his frankenstein headed retard dad

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ryan Ellis is great and gently caress Nashville's D is incredible

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Oilers don't have anything close to Muzzin/Niskanen. That's a fine pair.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah I was thinking about Zucc with my last pick, surprised he lasted so long.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I would say to not play him with Kuz or Malkin, they'll skate circles around him. He's not skilled enough. He's a second-line winger for whoever your 2C winds up being.

Henrique would be great with Kuznetsov or Malkin, this is the weirdest opinion coming from a Devils fan. His game is entirely skill, he just plays for the Devils. In fact the most overrated thing about him is his non existent two way game. He's actually just a floaty skilled winger who scored a bunch of clutch goals four years ago.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm not a huge fan of Hamonic. I think he's like a more Canadian version of Adam Larsson.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

I never really heard a good perspective on Adam Larsson from a Devils' fan. Is he going to be a 22-25 minute a night guy playing all situations for the Oilers, or is he maxed out as a second pairing shutdown guy?

I think he's going to be an inadequate second pairing shutdown guy.

e: I don't think he's a guy you can build your defense around whatsoever. I'm not even convinced he can carry a defensive pair -- maybe a solid #4 if the rest of your D is good? I don't know -- without a doubt it was one of the dumbest trades in NHL history by the Oilers. Chiarelli is a loving moron.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 14, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think RNH has some decent upside in him, good pick although we'll probably never see it as his TOI dwindles behind McJesus.

pick you fuckers but not the guys I want

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ok so my first pick is definitely Jared Spurgeon because he's great and in his prime and did I mention he's great:

And my second pick is maybe a reach but all the other D left frighten me horribly (or are a little bit on the older side and may come back to me the way this draft is going) and I think he's also great, and would be a good RH foil to Krug or Spurgeon, Jason Demers

Toews
Giroux

Spurgeon-Demers
Krug

Rask

Everyone right around 26-29 and fancy approved, win it now baby, win it now, but maybe in a few years too that's OK.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 14, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Where do I find those HERO charts again? And yeah, Spurgeon is one of 2 D I almost took instead of Hamonic

http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/

I think Spurgeon was a no brainer, we'll see if Demers was worth it based on what D/wingers make it back to me.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm a bit surprised you took him over the other guy who everyone will compare him to forever. It's going to be interesting to see if they both pan out. I like Helle a lot though.

e: I'm at 40m spent already good lord bring on the entry levels

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 14, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Can I send you my list? I'm running out for a bit

Sure thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like Burakovsky but there are some centers I'm surprised you didn't take there. If one of them makes it back to you I'll really like that team. It should only take an average goalie.

• Locked thread