Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ill take the Flames and do this again because I will have the time. :toot:

e: Just saw the Hawks are still open but I drafted them last year. I just built a barn so Calgary seems like a better fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

VJeff posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH YES!

TOOK FOUR loving YEARS BUT JEFFY'S IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT NOW, FUCKERS!

You know you are obligated to pick Abdelkader first overall right? Its what Ken Holland would do.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I need to come up with a theme for this years draft. Picking BPA gets too boring by about halfway in.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

VJeff posted:

This is around the point where I realize all the wrong picks I can make with number one an begin to feat SAS' inevitable scorn and ridicule. :ohdear:

That can be solved so easily just by picking John Scott though!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Look at all these failures picking based on fancy stats. Enjoy all those low truculence midgets and floaty Euros that cant pass the eye test. :smug:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ovie is still the best pure goal scorer in the league and his defensive game has improved significantly over the last 2 seasons, so its not like it was some off the wall pick like we have seen before.

Also I woke up early thinking Id be holding everyone up and youve only done 2 picks. Now my pick is probably going to come up while Im at work. :argh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Menamino posted:

yeah the pace seems fine, if we stick to the window system and move on after 2 hours have passed we'll still get through the first round in about the same time as last year probably

e: which means furnaceface can pick in 8 minutes if the previous pick isn't made

Looks like Ill get to pick before work either way, a good thing! :toot:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Calgary Flames are proud to select good Ontario boy, and former Barrie Colt, Aaron Ekblad as their first overall pick.

In only his second full season the 34 year old qui.. wait, hes 20? Holy poo poo.

Anyway, the kid has basically established himself as a number one defenseman in only his second season. He can already soak huge minutes, is great defensively, and has a bomb of a shot from the point. And the best part? He is only going to get better as he becomes more accustomed to the NHL level of play.

Did I mention he just signed a sweet loving contract?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

lazerwolf posted:

Agreed there's probably 5 other defenseman I'd rather have than Ekblad this early.

Im risking him being at his ceiling sure, but at 20 years old and already getting Norris votes its worth the chance. All his competition at D is older and will start to regress sooner.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tofes posted:

subban scored 1.21 p/60 last year at 5v5, doughty scored 0.64

Doughty spent the last half of the season paired with a literal pylon who shall remain nameless and hopefully undrafted.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Boo to the son of a bitch that took Burns

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Ah excellent. I'm not going to make the same mistake I've made in prior years and not take a number one center.

With their second round pick, the Winnipeg Jets are proud to select Patrice Bergeron. Bergeron is still just 30 and is coming off a 282-shot, 32-goal season while continuing to be the premier defensive center in the NHL. He dominates on draws and plays in all situations.

Doughty and Bergeron are two guys I am really happy to have, especially for the price and considering I am building a team rooted in possession and to win now.

I knew he wouldnt drop back to me but I was starting to get my hopes up with each pick. An extremely good pick.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FBS posted:

:siren: HOMER PICK ALERT :siren:

With the 41st pick the Chicago Blackhawks select Mark Scheifele.

His goal scoring may take a step back (his shot % in the second half last year was nuts), but he established himself as a legit 1C and I'm confident he's going to sign a long, fair value contract this summer.

Noooooo you suck. Scheifele is so drat underrated.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh good I didnt miss my pick because of tornado sirens and power outages and some idiot trying to drive through the barrier northbound on the 400 on a Friday stopping traffic for kilometers. :suicide:

Also its too early for Panarin. I like the guy, he is very good, but also not a real rookie and what you see is probably what youre going to get with little to no room for improvement.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Say who is next ya jerks! :argh:

Calgary's annual barn brawl came and went and this years winner gets a contract with the Flames. And today I would like to announce that winner, Duncan "Elbows" Keith. Welcome aboard!

Look, he is not the nicest guy. He has been suspended for some pretty lovely things. But he is a loving monster of a defenseman with the stats to prove it, and he carried Chicago to the cup in 2015. He's not the biggest guy and he definitely isnt young anymore, but it really hasnt had much of an impact on his play, and he remains pretty drat healthy year in and out despite the abuse he takes. Great offensively and defensively and one of the best guys I can think of to mentor a young player like Ekblad.

Youre up tofes!

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 9, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Paulocaust posted:

Really debated between Keith and Weber for my last pick. Keith has more accolades but I think we can all agree so would Shea Weber if he were on the Chicago dynasty all that time instead of Keith.

Wont lie, it was between Keith and Weber for me as well so you picking one made my choice easier. :v:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

Might be a bit under the radar but Philadelphia is happy to select Centre and Pennyslvania native (even if it is the wrong side) Vincent Trocheck.

Dandy Kaiser's up again.

Oh boo. This is actually a really safe pick.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I was going to take another D but I just cant pass up making the next post
<puts on his Burke wig and tie>

Its clear Calgary needs something up front now. We need a goalscorer, a forward that can put up points against the best teams in the league every night.

A guy with charisma
http://i.imgur.com/9ybS19Y.mp4

A guy willing to step up to any opposition

A guy that gets along well with others

A true role model for the team

And the most punchable face in hockey

Welcome aboard gently caress Corey Perry!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FBS posted:

I'm working on my pick now, I should have it in within 20 minutes or so

Youre going to pick the one at the top of my list and make me sad, arent you?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Paulocaust posted:

Give me the real deal James Neal baby

Neal-Getzlaf-Kane

Weber

Stop stealing my gimmick of drafting the most punchable players. :argh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Toronto takes Jacob Trouba.

Fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk Yyyyyyyyyyooooooooooouuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!! :argh::argh::argh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Boo Im at work and you jerks moved so slow yesterday I thought Id be fine until my lunch.

No big writeup for this one until I get home but Calgary takes Corey Crawford because consistent goaltending is underrated.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kreider had a really down year last year but I expect him to bounce back and score more points and kill more goalies again.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

Okay, had a bitch of a time deciding even what position I wanted most but in the end the Flyers will poach another Fancycat forward and selects Right Wing Reilly Smith

poo poo. This is who I was trying to think of earlier for my pick when I was at work but just couldnt come up with his name.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Calgary says gently caress yo offense, were taking Niklas "Super Nintendo" Hjalmarsson.

Very few players labelled defensive defensmen are actually good at hockey. Toftbo is one of the few good ones. He isnt the flashiest player, he doesnt put up huge points, and he doesnt really seem like a big deal. Its hard to notice him and what he does when he plays behind Duncan Keith (which he will be doing again!) and the crazy Hawks rosters over the last 6 years. But he is a great possession player and amazing at shot suppression and can move the puck like crazy. He is the ideal 2nd line D. With him there I dont need to worry so much about who I draft on the back end in later rounds because he will be able to pick up the slack.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Your D is insane but it is a mistake to ignore offense early. I learned my lesson last time.

Never! I will build New Jersey 2.0 and bore my opponents to death!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

VJeff posted:

Somebody say words about my team, I crave attention.

Its a better team than one Ken Holland would draft so far. :shobon:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Paulocaust posted:

Give me Brent Seabrook

Neal-Getzlaf-Kane
Weber-Seabrook

Seabrook had a bad year last year. I hope he bounces back a bit after having a whole summer to recover from injuries.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

i hope he gets even more injuries and becomes a useless 6 million dollar husk of a man and the blackhawks suffer forever in cap hell where they belong

They have managed to get rid of worse contracts. They will find someone to pawn him off on at some point.

And I hope its Vancouver. :unsmigghh:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Times up, Otis.

The Toronto Maple Leafs could use some leadership, tenacity and two-way play from a #17 who dislikes Montreal. With that in mind, we take Milan Lucic.

Flying lemur, you're up.

E: The contract isn't great, but it doesn't go past 35, it's front loaded and quite frankly it's MLSE's money, and they won't give a poo poo. He'll do well with Matthews/Nino, or partnered with ROR on the 2nd line. He's a good two-way player, and it'll work well for at least 4 seasons.

Boo this man. You just ruined me making the most punchable line in hockey. :mad:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh poo poo Im up?

I was going to take another winger (who I really hope but doubt is still around by my next pick) but I just noticed a C that is available, though still a bit unproven and a bit of a reach. I just dont care.

Calgary is going to take another good old Ontario boy in Robby Fabbri. In one short season playing for the Blues he has already done a drat good job of proving he can make it in the NHL and I can only see him getting better. He was a key player in knocking out my Hawks in the playoffs and I want that kind of kid centering Calgary's future. :canada:

youre up tofes

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Nyquist is one of like 6 players on this stupid team I actually like, no way he was getting past me sorry y'all

There is one in particular Im really hoping slides under the radar but I doubt it happens with both you and vjeff picking before my next one. :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I wasn't planning on picking a wing next so it's up to VJeff and iatb to ruin it for you

There's also only maybe one or two guys left that I'd give a poo poo about drafting, and it's probably at least a round or two early for either imo

Man that break I took from hockey sure didnt help. I thought everyone was just ignoring Datsyuk because of his age but he apparently hosed off to the KHL. Good thing it didnt get back to me before I had time to put some effort into a pick. :downs:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

i am the bird posted:

I'm still thinking about my pick. Prob gonna steal from VJeff again.

edit:

I'll take Jakob Silfverberg.

Drouin-McDavid-Silfverberg
?-Draisaitl-?
?-Nielsen-?

Muzzin-Niskanen

Pretty good pick but drat that forward group wont be Cup ready until 2020.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hurry up and get back to me before I go golfing, I dont get a signal out at the course. :derp:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I am back now and not sure how this guy is still available so Calgary takes Mathieu Perreault because he can play all 3 positions and I can drop him down to second line if I get another young winger to replace him on the first line.

Perreault-Fabbri-Perry

Ekblad-Keith
Hjalmarsson-X

Crawford

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah ideally Id move both down to the second line but there really isnt much left for top line players.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FBS posted:

I'm not really thrilled with any of the remaining centers, which is my own fault I guess, but with the 200th pick Chicago selects Artem Anisimov. Good enough for the IRL Blackhawks, good enough for me.

Saad - Scheifele - Puljujarvi
xxx - Anisimov - xxx

OEL - Byfuglien
xxx - Green

Ginette Reno is up next

Boo this man he is stealing my roster.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FBS posted:

Yeah well you're the dbag who took my mancrush Mathieu Perreault from me so maybe we're even :argh:

That was only fair because you took hometown hero Mark Scheifele. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I just wish it would speed up.

At the current pace I might figure out how to create a custom database to sim this in EHM by the time were finished.

Man is that thing ever confusing. So many menus (yet fewer than NHl16 :v:).

• Locked thread