Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'll play. Gimme the Kings, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

The Los Angeles Kings would first like to congratulate the Pittsburgh Penguins for the last Cup they'll ever win in franchise history.

With the second overall pick, Los Angeles is proud to select Connor "4real" McDavid.

CONNOR McDAVID
Position: Center
Cap Hit: $925,000

McJesus serves as this franchise's foundation as an undisputed #1 center. At 19, he makes the Kings competitive today, tomorrow, and forever. And thanks to terrific labor laws, we only have to pay him a cool million, giving us room in later rounds to spend insane amounts of cash where it really matters: on 37 year old grinders and third pairing functionally-immobile shutdown defensemen.

Last season, lil ConCon showed the world that he's the best player to ever grace planet earth and he only played 45 loving games, y'all. He already won the Calder on his path to winning every NHL trophy in existence, including a Vezina at age 48 when he returns from retirement as a goaltender for the NHL's latest expansion team, the Seattle Grinding Frasiers. In the present, Connor is excited to join our make believe franchise where he will no longer have to play in a frozen tundra of sadness. He's stoked to come to Cali where he can continue to work on his surfing form.

IT'S CONNOR

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Not that he's overpaid or anything, but I think his contract looks better than it is only because he turned down inflated UFA offers.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Tavares is on an insanely good contract, too.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Good luck with that locker room. :rolleyes:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm here but phone posting so I'm trying to cross reference the spreadsheet. Pick coming shortly.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm going to keep a theme going and take Leon Draisaitl

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm going to take Jake Muzzin

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah, Draisaitl could've gone lower but I liked the dumb symmetry with McDavid and it wasn't too wild of a pick.

My third and fourth lines will have higher cap hits than my first and second, and it will be glorious.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

My team has a dress code that all players must have full heads of hair.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I didn't think Parayko would drop but I really hoped...

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

If I'm under the cap floor toward the end, can I draft gay cadaver ankles

edit: n/m realized we're drafting 23. for some reason, I thought we were just doing a starting line-up. Can't wait to get Pronger AND Datsyuk.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 12, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

I was flipping through my girlfriend's yearbook the other day and discovered that she went to high school with both Taylor Hall and Ryan Ellis. She had some idea that they went onto play hockey, but had no idea they were any good. Apparently Taylor Hall was exactly as big a douche as he seems and would regularly change in the hallway for some reason and was a giant show off. Also he'd apparently try (and fail) to date multiple women at once because he thought he was the poo poo. Ryan Ellis was apparently completely invisible. Neither of them graduated.

That is my NHLers in high school story.

How would you even get a starting lineup above the cap floor? The cap floor is $54M this year. Six guys would have to make an average of $9M per to reach that.

I meant starting line-up as in 18 skaters/2 goalies (and not the 23 we're drafting), in which case drafting a nonexistent dude would gently caress my roster completely.

Like, obv starting lineup was the wrong choice of words in hindsight, but also, I'm an idiot.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Infidel Castro has 15 minutes or so left, I think?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm going with REJUVENATED left wing Jonathan Drouin

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I thought Drouin would fall another round.

I wasn't quite sure. It's hard to project what'll happen with the 50 picks in between my two drafts.

VJeff is up

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm going to grab Matt Niskanen

Drouin-McDavid-???
???-Draisaitl-???

Muzzin-Niskanen

Hrm.

VJeff still up and now Infidel Castro as well

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 13, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

There are two wingers in particular I'm surprised have not gone yet.

I have a handful on my list that I don't think will get back to me but I'm also surprised they're still there.

This has been my vague draft post of the day.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

With the....whatever pick of the draft, the Mighty Anaheim Southern Ducks of California select Old Man Jagr to provide leadership in the locker room and 19 year old Czech girls for the whole team!

seriously, I know he will probably fall off in production this year but everyone has been saying that forever.

Aw man. I assumed he'd fall way down so I could play him with Draisaitl.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Not sure he's worth the contract but I'll take Kyle Okposo

This is one of the dudes I thought would go earlier. He's unfairly linked to Tavares despite the fact that he played half his ice time on a different line.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I never imagined Spurgeon would get back to me, but blehhhh.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm no scholar but I don't know who that is and I bet you could've gotten him with your very last pick.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Matt Murray went two rounds ago. There's no chance he was going to come back around.

I don't even think he ends up being my starter, but if Murray is in the NHL this year and Connor isn't, Hellebucyk is no question the best prospect goalie / young backup out there.

E: ^^^^ yeah when I went Laine I kinda bought the short term tank, albeit not an intentional one... If they can be better, that's cool. If they can't, that's cool too. I hadn't done that previous years, looking to do something different.

I mean, I'm mostly giving you poo poo out of my own ignorance of who that guy is. That said, I think a lot of goalie picks are way too early but I also think the league has a ton of serviceable goalies.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

gently caress, I wanted Mike Green. He's the only worthwhile defenseman on that poo poo team and I feel like his numbers would be higher if any of the dudes he passed to could actually bury a puck.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

He's gone already in case you haven't bounced from the thread yet

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Detroit's paying Johan Franzen $4m/year to sit on LTIR for the next 12 years or something. I'm sure Zetterberg will go that way too.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Not a fan of his contract but I'll take Frans Nielsen

Drouin-McDavid-?
?-Draisaitl-?
?-Nielsen-?

Muzzin-Niskanen

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm still thinking about my pick. Prob gonna steal from VJeff again.

edit:

I'll take Jakob Silfverberg.

Drouin-McDavid-Silfverberg
?-Draisaitl-?
?-Nielsen-?

Muzzin-Niskanen

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 16, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Pretty good pick but drat that forward group wont be Cup ready until 2020.

I'm aiming for a slightly better team than Edmonton. We're in year one of our rebuild.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Huh. I guess I'll take Henrik Zetterberg. I've got a young, inexpensive team right now so I'm not worried about his age or contract. He can't carry a line anymore but I imagine he'd still be productive alongside any of the centers I have and he has ~intangibles~ as a leader and Conn Smythe/Cup winner. And when he inevitably dies of boneitis, I'll just throw him on LTIR forever.

Drouin-McDavid-
Silfverberg-Draisaitl-
Zetterberg-Nielsen-

Muzzin-Niskanen

edit: whoops forgot I also had Silfffffverberg.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 19, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'll take Justin Braun

Drouin-McDavid-
Silfverberg-Draisaitl-
Zetterberg-Nielsen-

Muzzin-Niskanen
???-Braun

Infidel Castro is up next.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

eXXon posted:

Scandella is not bad. Savard... no comment. Braun is also a good pick.

On the other hand, Andersen is a bad choice and lol at picking Nielsen and Zetterberg to anchor your 3rd line until they're nearly 40 on average.

They'll be great for a couple years, especially for the youngins to transition, and then I'll LTIR them forever. It'll be fine.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I looked at McNabb, but yeah, I'm not convinced he's that good w/o doughy.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Haha, I didn't check to see if you had Doughty. Alright -- carry on!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm going to have a ~$16m third line so no one should listen to me.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Aw man, Foligno was going to round out my nonsensical third line. I assumed people wouldn't want him.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

poo poo, didn't realize it came back around. I'll take Radek Faksa

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'll take Kevan Miller. I'm on my phone and can't tell if he's gone because my spreadsheet app isn't loading, but it looks like he's available?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Drouin-McDavid-
Silfverberg-Nielsen-Draisatl
Zetterberg-Faksa

Muzzin-Niskanen
Miller-Braun

I like it I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This is tentatively my favorite team, I think. There's a lot to like here though Nielsen's contract is way too long and your second pairing is weak.

It's definitely going to be a defense by committee. I also don't have a goalie so this could turn disastrous. My missing 1st line winger is also going to be a hilariously dumb pick if one of my couple choices is available in two rounds.

• Locked thread