Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Does the head coach have to be working in the NHL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

We should have to submit an expansion draft protection list and then anoint a king to choose a Las Vegas roster.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I think he also had Brendan Smith's ID. It was a good night for Riley Sheahan.

Detroit's got a Teletubby and a Pokemon. Good stuff.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'll take Colin Miller. Decent rookie year and good fancies. Could be a good'un.

edit:
oh and VJeff is up.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 27, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

He had a hell of a finish after being traded to Edmonton and playing alongside McDavid and Draisaitl, and I feel like he can be the improbably decent winger for either guy like any of the revolving door of reclamation projects in Pittsburgh. Gimme Pat Maroon for this no-goalie, no-coach team.

Drouin-McDavid-Maroon
Zetterberg--Draisatl-Silfverberg
???-Nielsen-???
???-Faksa-???

Muzzin-Niskanen
K. Miller-Braun
???-C. Miller

???
???

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I feel like you'd be better off moving Draisatl to wing and letting Nielsen center the second line. Or doing something with Faksa maybe, he's wasted on the 4th and Pat Maroon on a first line is... well let's just say I don't think the guy's gonna keep shooting at 20%. He's a 10-15 goal guy tops, maybe 20 once in his lifetime during a super lucky season.

Haha, I know. I'm having fun! Maroon's just a good possession guy who I think will make a strong third line with Faksa, but I also like the idea of playing him with McDavid for no reason whatsoever other than to keep the stink of Edmonton failure. I'll probably end up drafting Abdelkader for my top 6 too!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

As a former owner of a Babcock avatar, I'm so loving mad. I was going to draft him and Abdelkader next cycle. It was going to explain the Pat Maroon pick as a top 6 winger too. Who else will fill this hole now??? What other NHL coach overrates grit and character? NONE I SAY. NONE OTHERS.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I don't know prospects very well so I'm happy to take the Bad Pick Championship Belt from here on.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'll take Ilya Samsonov and figure out my starting goalie after VJeff, I guess.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You'll also want a backup since apparently he's locked into the KHL until 2018

Don't worry, I've got a plan.

The goalies left are poo poo and we're getting to the point where I don't know any of these loving players. I guess I'll have to go back to the goalie well next round. I'll take Roberto Luongo as my win now guy but that surgery makes me nervous.

My goaltending is going to be garbage so I guess I'm just going to go with high risk/high reward garbage.

Drouin-McDavid-Silfverberg
Zetterberg-Nielsen-Draisaitl
xxx-Faksa-Maroon

Muzzin-Niskanen
K. Miller-Braun
xxx-C. Miller

Luongo
xxx
Samsonov

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 1, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

tofes posted:

that sure is a hockey team alright

nowhere in the rules does it say the end result has to be good

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

tofes posted:

I mean you are definitely better than the IRL oilers

Literally my only goal was to walk into this with a moderate level of knowledge about current players and create a better team than Holland while still following his rules of having insane dumb contracts and the necessity of being able to make the playoffs.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

VJeff posted:

Look, just think of the social media presence your team has with Luongo. Can you buy that many likes and retweets? Don't answer that.

I'm bringing in BizNasty and John Scott next.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

2.6 is his current cap with Detroit

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I just realized I have to draft four goalies because one is essentially non-existent and Luongo can't actually be a back-up if he's technically dead. At least I have Pat Maroon.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

uh, Andrew Hammond I guess to keep this shitboat afloat until Samsonov comes over?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Otis Reddit posted:

I had him picked but went with Darling at the last minute.

Looking at some of his stats, he's better than I had assumed. That insane run obviously set up absurd expectations that he'll never live up to, but he's still solid on a team with a defense of Karlsson and five other dudes whose names I'll never know.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I haven't had time to look at depth players so I'll make my coach pick and hopefully remember to do research before it get backs to me.

Dave Tippett -- still a good coach, often underrated, would develop the young guys well while instituting a strong team defense to cover some of the... weaknesses.

Drouin - McDavid - Silfverberg
Zetterberg - Nielsen - Draisatl
xxx - Faksa -- Maroon

Muzzin - Niskanen
K. Miller - Braun
xxx - C. Miller

Hamburglar
Lu
Samsonov

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I wasn't paying attention to the new format so this is my pick for yesterday: Vladimir Sobotka

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Didn't realize I had two picks: gimme Trevor Lewis too

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

And since it's 10 a.m. give me Luke Glendening too because even if I can't have Babcock, I'ma have his "real good" guy

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I haven't done the math in a bit but I feel like I still have a ton of cap room and I have several stupid contracts on the books. Was the cap ceiling ever an actual concern for people last time as they got into the final rounds?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I guess I just realized I'm way below the floor. Uhhhh.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Zetterberg-Nielsen-Draisatl
Sobotka-Faksa-Maroon
xxx-Glendening-Lewis

Muzzin-Niskanen
K. Miller-Braun
xxx-C. Miller

Hammond
Luongo
Samsonov

Tippett

Somewhat worried about scoring but I think they'd be frustrating as gently caress to play against in a Tippett system.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 12, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Ima grab Kevin Bieksa because I need cap hit, he's still serviceable enough (and will play on my third pairing), and because he played hockey at one of my alma maters.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'll take Troy Brouwer for cap reasons and because I don't need him to play on my first line. I'm phone posting but I didn't seen in on the sheet so I'm assuming he and his awful contract are still there.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Spreadsheet went bananas. I also noticed that my cap number wasn't correct because several of my players were somehow not accounted for in those calculations.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I don't really follow prospects much and it looks like all the dudes on my list culled from various blogs are already gone, so I guess I'll take Tyson Jost?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I want a defensive prospect but I'm an idiot so I'ma take some time reading poo poo about dudes who are obscure to me.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I'm grabbing angry man Anthony DeAngelo with my last pick.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Draisatl-Nielsen-Brouwer
Zetterberg-Faksa-Maroon
Sobotka-Glendening-Lewis
Jost

Muzzin-Niskanen
K. Miller-Braun
Bieksa-C. Miller
DeAngelo

Luongo
Hammond
Samsonov

Tippett

my dumb team

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

T-Bone posted:

I've been on this team's dick all draft and goddamnit I'm staying there. I wish your D was better after that top pair but this is a playoff team for sure imo

I'm hoping the mess of strong two-way forwards make up for the defense, which is a grab bag of mediocre middle pairing dudes whose possession numbers are okay but probably reflect their partners/teams more than their individual talent. In any event, I think this roster with Tippett at the helm would frustrate the gently caress out of everyone else.

I'm not in terrible shape with the cap even with some albatross contracts. I feel like I'm set up well to make a competitive run now but my core is young enough for long term success, too.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

my team has the highest SAT scores

Too bad you can't draft Tom Poti to captain your team full of loving nerds.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

LA Kings Expansion Draft

Protected
F1. Leon Draisatl
F2. Jonathan Drouin
F3. Jakub Silfverberg
F4. Frans Nielsen (NMC)
F5. Henrik Zetterberg
F6. Radek Faksa
F7. Troy Brouwer
F8. Connor McDavid (auto)
F9. Tyson Jost (auto)

D1. Jake Muzzin
D2. Matt Niskanen
D3. Kevin Bieksa (NMC)
D4. Anthony DeAngelo (auto)

G1. Andrew Hammond
G2. Ilya Samsonov (auto)

Exposed
Patrick Maroon (F)
Vladimir Sobotka (F)
Luke Glendening (F)
Trevor Lewis (F)
Kevan Miller (D)
Colin Miller (D)
Justin Braun (D)
Roberto Luongo (G)

No difficult decisions here. I don't like exposing Braun over Bieksa but lol at Bieksa having a NMC. Hammond v. Luongo took a minute but I need to be prepared in case ol' Bobby Lu is dead. I think better goalies will be in play, as well, so I'm not super worried.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

His NMC expired two years ago, I think. He might still have a limited NTC but that's irrelevant.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Huh, I'm wondering if I should leave a couple dudes like Brouwer and Hank available and do the 8 protections to save Braun. Is my second pairing more important than my third line... Probably. Hmm.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I aimed for "slightly better than the Oilers" but it's pretty much a wash with McDavid carrying his fictional garbage roster, too.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Middle of the road sounds about right for my grab bag of mediocrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Did McDavid die?

• Locked thread