Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

reallivedinosaur posted:

The italian guy who made the concentration camp comedy that got all the Oscars, was that the same script, or different?

Different, this one he's a washed-up clown that finds an audience/purpose by clowning for Jewish children on the other side of the prison fence. He stays to entertain them before they're shipped to Auschwitz , but accidentally gets locked in with them. The Nazis ask to lead the kids to the gas chamber so they won't make a fuss, since they like him and trust him. He does so, but at the last second, decides he can't abandon 'his' kids and goes in with them.

Life Is Beautiful has a man and his son in the camps, and he sets it all up as a game so his son won't be scared, like hiding and being quiet gets more points, but not doing work gets you less. He makes excuses like childrens' numbers in the camp dwindling because 'oh they're hiding, because they want to beat your score!' and they can't leave because 'they almost have enough points to win!' and the guards are nasty because 'they're jealous and want the prize'. His son sees him as he's being taken away for execution, so he starts dancing/goofing off as he's led out of view to keep the illusion up.

So aside from 'pretend like everything's fine to little kids in a certain death situation', they don't really have much in common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

reallivedinosaur posted:

thanks for the summary, I really didn't want to have to watch two bummer dead kid movies to learn that

No prob.

Though, to be fair, in Life Is Beautiful, the kid survives. When the Americans roll up and liberate it, he comes out of hiding and the first thing he sees is a Sherman tank (IIRC, his dad had told him the 'prize' was a tank). The Americans let him ride on the tank, and who does he find among other refugees? His mom! Still a kinda bummer movie, but still gave a little hope at the end.

Speaking of 'bummer dead kid movies', there was one about Sonderkommandos at Auschwitz and they find a baby (I think it somehow survived the gas chamber and they found it while clearing the bodies?). They take it and try to hide it from the SS in the camp. I think David Arquette was in it? Anybody have any clue what movie I'm thinking of?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rutibex posted:

nope, it was a baby and hes thinking of Escape from Sobibor (the much sadder cousin to The Great Escape):
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092978/

I'm a she, was probably thinking of that Gray Areas one, but I'll give this a watch too!

• Locked thread