Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazedscot
May 1, 2007

I love you smug fox
I took Eve in for a checkup at the vet as I was getting a little concerned that she was feeling a little skeletal despite her seemingly voracious appetite. It's yet to be confirmed via the blood tests but seems likely given she has all the symptoms that she has an over-active thyroid.

This instantly set off my anxiety - already quite high following a lovely morning and the difficulty we had getting Eve to stay still, the vet had to make multiple attempts to draw blood and I think nicked her vein at one point when she jerked her head back violently.

My point being, I didn't think to ask the vet some important stuff. I can Google Hyperthyroidism in cats sure but can anyone give me some advice based on their own experiences? Most importantly, is it likely she's in pain? She seems as affectionate as ever but PI's led me to believe in the past that cats being super affectionate could be their way of letting you know something's wrong. She's already skittish enough as it is without having to pin her down twice a day to drop pills down her throat so I'm thinking, given she's only 8 years old, surgery's probably the best option, maybe radioactive iodine therapy considering I'm in Edinburgh and the University Vet School's licenced for that.

Like I said, any advice, reassurance?

Bonus disgruntled post vet shot. She let me stroke her outstretched paw but then retreated underneath the couch when I tried to give her head scritches :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazedscot
May 1, 2007

I love you smug fox
Well, thanks for all the kind words of advice and reassurance, PI.

Turns out Eve's thyroxine levels are over four times what they should be. This has to be brought under control with pills and some drastic changes to diet before surgery or radiotherapy can be considered. There's some pretty strict criteria for the radioactive iodine treatment apparently, her age is in her favour (she's just about to turn 9 :toot:) but the thyroxine levels definitely aren't.

I'm not sure why this wasn't picked up at her last check up a year ago, is this normal progression for hyperthyroidism? Now I'm worried that with her T4 levels being what they are, there may be issues with her heart or kidneys :(

I'll have better luck running these questions by the vet tomorrow I suppose.

• Locked thread