Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I posted a few weeks ago about this

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3169030&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=544#post460727476

those are the 5 options I was given by my vet. I am also in Scotland so I'd imagine these are what you'll be told about too. Buffy is coping well with the pills (she's a glutton and will happily gulp down tiny pills hidden in a blob of Dairylea) but I did consider the radiotherapy (I'd probably go to the Royal Dick over at Edinburgh). Don't get all in a tizzy by what you read on the internet, a lot of it is highly alarming and may not even apply to your cat. If you go for the radiotherapy, be warned it's going to cost you. A consultation and some tests at the RD will set you back a couple of hundred (I've been there with cats twice this year so I know the current price range roughly) depending on what they check. The radiotherapy itself would run in the order of 1500 upwards - it's keeping the cat for a month afterwards that's the expensive bit. The vets at the RD are fantastic though and they have every diagnostic device in existence available to them.

Personally I'll be keeping Buffy on the pills for now (pending further blood tests in a few weeks). Diet is not an options really as I have 2 cats and Oliver will not eat separately from Buffy (been there, tried that). Surgery would be an option as she's very healthy for her age but it'd still be a big risk. Plus not all feline thyroid is in the throat, I was told it can also be in the chest or head. Plus the risk of damaging or removing the parathyroid with it is pretty high (and then you have a really big problem).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was at the Royal Dick in Edinburgh (yes US cousins, it's actually called that ok) with one of our rescues for a followup. While I was there I spoke to one of the vets about radiotherapy and got their handout. They have the shortest stay in the UK and on average cats go home after 10 days (which should cut the cost of care down considerably). Cats still have to go on pills for a few weeks anyway to make sure the hyperthyroidism isn't masking kidney or other co-morbidities. So once she's had her blood tests in 3 weeks time (having had 6 weeks on pills) I'll be able to get a steer from my vet whether radiotherapy would be appropriate.
The vet I spoke to says it's the preferred option in her book since it's generally a complete cure. She mentioned the head of medicine at the Dick had just put her 16 y/o through it so they eat their own dog food so to speak.

I just want to get something done though. I hate seeing Buffy so restless, grooming too much and scratching constantly but rushing it's not an option.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

IronClaymore posted:

I was talking to my roommate's mum about her hyperthyroid cat recently (the roommate's a cat whisperer and the rest of his family are close behind).

This is all entirely anecdotal, of course, but the cat ended up being intolerant of the anti-hyperthyroid medication. Not quite allergic, but it caused her digestive system to partially shut down, causing blockages with the associated vomiting. They only got to the bottom of it when they had to discontinue all medication for another reason, and the cat started pooping again. But once they figured it out, they got on a new medication that didn't have as many issues.

And then I learnt about specialty cat food for hyperthyroid cats that's just normal food with very very low iodine. Basically undetectable levels of iodine. No idea if it's the best choice, and, speaking as someone who has at least a little experience with iodine in food, its just gotta be expensive.

That's roughly what my vet told me last week when I asked her again. The pills get the cats by for a while but they aren't a cure and they are eventually ineffective. I've told my vet to organise getting Buffy the radiotherapy. Hopefully start next week sometime.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I've booked Buffy in for the Iodine radio therapy on the 26th, I'll let you know how she gets on.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Thanks for that, it's nice to see a positive result rather than just be told about it by the vets.

I took Buffy in today for her pre-therapy assessment. She had a sort of small fit that they think might be hypertension related to the hyperthyroidism (and they didn't get time to do a scan on her) so she's staying there overnight and we'll go over the results tomorrow. With luck it'll all be things caused or antagonised by the hyperthyroidism and she can take the treatment in a couple of weeks when they have a slot.

• Locked thread